Note To Jessica Simpson – Please Don’t Screw Us

Jessica Simpson who up until recently was being crucified by the media for gaining a bunch of pregnancy pounds was sort of my unlikeliest of heroes. She of the not grasping the concept of why tuna fish would be named “Chicken of the Sea” and other blonde moments. But her weight gain made her more of a relatable personality than any reality show could ever hope to achieve. Millions of women, including myself, who didn’t gain the prescribed 25-35 pounds saw their own muffin eating, cookie gobbling, carb hoovering ways reflected in the light of a Grammy winning singer. We were all about love for each other. Until Jess popped out Maxwell (love that name by the way) and vowed to get the weight off ASAP.

Here’s where my similarities with Jessica end. I did not lose my pregnancy weight right away. In fact, it took almost 18 months to get to my pre-pregnancy weight, which sadly went right to shit less than a year later when I got knocked up with twins. I sported my “Just had a baby” t-shirt for over a year. The problem was, being a new mom wasn’t conducive to weight loss. I didn’t have the freedom to hit the gym regularly (read: at all) for a long time and going for a brisk walk with a baby didn’t really cut it as far as quick weight loss. I was also a little busy, BEING A MOTHER. Why would losing weight be on the top of my list of things to do anyway? Unless someone has a movie shooting in the next month I really don’t understand why celebrities are in such a race to get skinny.

I gave birth in November and was going to be in my sister-in-law’s wedding the following July so I had incentive to get into my bridesmaid dress but that didn’t get me there. Nothing got me there. I distinctly remember crying to my sister-in-law around May that the scale would not budge below the mid 140’s and I wondered if my weight gain was permanent. I actually read that if you don’t lose the weight within 6 months after giving birth that you never will. Seven months after having Elby, I stood up for my brother still twenty pounds bigger than I had been before. But eventually, much later, I was back to normal.

It all worked out.

Really.

So Jessica, I know you have a deal with Weight Watchers and all but you would do a huge service to your fellow moms if you took a little longer to shed the pounds. Show us that you are a real person! Lead the way!

Over here on Babble, I put up this post with pictures of 20 moms and how they looked during the first few month (some longer) after giving birth to their babies. I suggest you check it out because it’s like a Xanax in photo form.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on May 7, 2012 12:23 pmUncategorized10 comments

1. Samantha said,

Didn’t you get plastic surgery? Most “real people” don’t do that.

| May 7, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

2. Rebecca said,

Somehow I ended up gaining weight after the kids were born. Especially with my second. So I gained 40 pounds with each of my kids……..lost the weight after my first but with my second, I just kept right on gaining. I weigh 135 and am only 5 foot tall. I’m obese.

| May 7, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

3. Tracy said,

I gained roughly 60lbs with my pregnancy, and I had recently lost over 50 using weight watchers before I had gotten pregnant. So, when I had my baby I made a promise to myself that I would get back to pre-pregnancy weight as soon as I could. However, I was NOT going to make myself crazy. Using weight watchers again and breastfeeding, I was able to get back to pre-preggo weight in 8 months. I didn’t starve myself and certainly haven’t found the time to workout on a regular basis. It can be done! By even us normal moms.

| May 8, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

4. Christina Baglivi Tinglof said,

I want to say something meaningful but I just can’t get past that photograph. I love it! And, no, I haven’t lost all my baby weight. Ten pounds. It will never happen and I’ve made peace with it.
    Christina Baglivi Tinglof´s last blog post ..An Olympic Themed Birthday–Perfect for a Party of Two

| May 8, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

5. Marta said,

It’s about priorities. Yes, I could probably lose the weight if I really really wanted to. But there are so many other things that are more important. Plus, I really really love hamburgers.
    Marta´s last blog post ..Call Her Beautiful.

| May 9, 2012 @ 11:30 am

6. Julia said,

I applaud you for recognizing what real women go through. It’s tough to lose baby weight! It took at least a year for me to feel like my old self. However, one thing that seems it be missing is the health risks associated with gaining so much weight and so quickly for both mom and baby..

| May 9, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

7. Jackson said,

Are there more important things to be thinking about?

| May 10, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

8. Courtney Rundell said,

I sit here reading this the same exact weight I was the day we came home from the hospital 8.5 MONTHS later.

Le sigh.

And it is so low on my priority list I think it’s on a different list. The “go f*ck yourself I’m just trying to survive and take care of a baby” list.

Thanks Stef!
    Court
    Courtney Rundell´s last blog post ..Bipolar Motherhood: What it Means to be “Mom Enough”

| May 18, 2012 @ 11:15 am

9. Christie O. Tate said,

Who the hell can go to the gym with a newborn???? My nipples were too sore even if I wasn’t so tired I was catatonic. I am so counting on Jessica. She better come through and not pull a Jessica Alba.

| May 19, 2012 @ 1:23 pm