Sadie’s Feet

So Sadie broke through the 28 lb mark. This may not seem like much to you owners of fat babies, babies who weighed 28 pounds by the time they were 18 months, but to us it’s a huge deal. I almost cried when I saw the number. Almost. I’m not a pussy.

It was honestly starting to seem like Sadie would weigh 27 pounds forever. This is the problem with with these small kids: They can eat all day long and not gain a pound. Sure it’s a wonderful trait for a supermodel or anxiety ridden forty-five-year-old who binges on Girl Scout Cookies to relieve stress, but a preschooler needs to gain weight. They need the pounds for little things like, I don’t know, brain development and eventually reaching the height of a kitchen counter.

Most of the time I try not to think about Sadie’s height. Unfortunately Mattie is full head taller and outweighs Sadie by 14 pounds so it is sort of a constant reminder. But we are doing what we know is right for now: she eats healthy foods and as much as she wants as often as she wants and she is followed by an excellent endocrinologist at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. Short of the growth hormones, there’s nothing else to do but let nature take its course. Yeah, you know how well I do with “going with the flow.” I like to be in control, take action, keep things moving. I also like to read the last page of a novel or be told the ending to a movie before I see it. My two favorite words are *spoiler alert*

And this is why I have a scale.

I may not be able to do anything about Sadie’s weight but I can at least keep track of it.

So excuse me while I have a little celebration for the number 28!

P.S. I wrote a story about Matilda’s eating habits which you can check out on my Babble Blog if you like.

If you’re in Vegas right now put ten buck on it at the roulette table or at least have a Shamrock shake in Sadie’s honor.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on March 23, 2012 2:59 pmUncategorized7 comments

1. Gamanda said,

Damnit, I was in Vegas LAST week! Woot woot breaking the 28 barrier! I wonder how long it will take for HER to get sick of hearing people say, “You can eat anything you want and not gain a pound. You’re so lucky.”
    Gamanda´s last blog post ..Today you are 3

| March 23, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

2. Denise said,

soooo excited for you both! happy news is always good news!

| March 24, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

3. Courtney Rundell said,

Yay, Sadie! 28 pounds of pure gorgeous. I wish I was in Vegas…
    Courtney Rundell´s last blog post ..Carrie

| March 24, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

4. Erica said,

That is awesome. E (3 yrs 9 months) weighs 23 lbs 6 oz. We thought we would never see 23 lbs and yesterday was our magic day. I can totally relate to your happiness!!

| March 25, 2012 @ 10:02 am

5. October said,

Yay Sadie! Here’s to you! (raising my Shamrock Shake).

XXOO

| March 25, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

6. Kim said,

I totally feel your celebration. My son is six and has some of the same issues and he has been under 40 pounds FOREVER. I joke that he is going to be in the 5 point harness car seat until he goes to college. And I think I might be right… Cheers to Sadie and double cheers to YOU because I totally get how huge that is. :)

| March 26, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

7. KimN said,

How exciting! I have a 19lb almost 3 year old. I’m starting to think she may never cross the 20 lb mark…..28 lbs sounds enormous to me.

| March 30, 2012 @ 5:04 pm