Finally Four

Sadie and Mattie turned 4-years-old on the 26th and Jon and I breathed a sigh of relief. It’s not that we’re out of the woods, far from it. But we are beginning to see some light through the trees. Could the light be an oncoming train? Sure. I’m not dumb. But I’m willing to believe that at some point soon Matilda won’t melt down because I had the audacity to fasten the Velcro on her shoe when “I WAS GOING TO DO IT! MAYBE NOT TODAY AND MAYBE NOT TOMORROW BUT I WANTED TO DO IT MYSELF” or that Sadie won’t declare jihad against me for not starting her Dora “FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. AT WHILE WE’RE AT IT THIS ISN’T THE ONE I WANTED.”

Every night when I go to sleep I am whole body tired from fighting a battle of wills with my two smallest children. I close my eyes and just try to appreciate that, hey, at least they sleep through the night (you know I just knocked on wood right?).

But here are a few things they do now that I never thought they’d do: get their own apples out of the fridge, rinse and eat them (and then leave the savaged core under the couch somewhere), get themselves dressed, apologize to each other without being yelled at first, umm, that’s all I can think of.

They are cute as hell a lot of the time and starting to entertain each other (and me if I’m not too tired). They appreciate a good dance party, are expert snugglers…oh but those meltdowns…part of the reason they have so many crying jags is they don’t nap…or they still have colic. But I’m thinking that somewhere in the next 6-7 months they should outgrow the need for sleep during the day anyway and then we’ve got it made right?

Losing the nap is one of those milestones that we are sad to see happen as opposed to the milestones we are so excited about we could just scream it out the window to random people we drive by at the bus stop, “my kid pooped in the potty! Sweet Jesus, he finally did it!” And then there are those milestones we just don’t like to talk about. I took the time to write them down on Baby On Bored: Electric Boogaloo. Go read it and then please write down some of yours.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on November 29, 2011 3:08 amUncategorized7 comments

1. rebecca said,

I wrote down a few of mine….there are more.

But Happy Birthday little angels~

| November 29, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

2. Courtney Rundell said,

omg omg omg 4!!!

I think 1 more year until rad sauce. That’s just my bias though, I’m all about 5.

Happy birthday babies.

Love,
    Courtney & Morgan

PS. I’m rockin’ a mustache on my next bday, too.
    PPS. Your rack looks amazing in that blue dress. Just sayin’.

| November 30, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

3. atomic momma said,

Hey….those are great pics of you and the kids! You look so pretty and radiant in them – love your outfit. And plus….those glasses make you look really smart. Smarter, I mean. HA!

Thanks for your humor and beautiful yet brutal honesty

| November 30, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

4. erin@mommyonthespot said,

Yea! Happy Birthday!

Yeah, those meltdowns are painful . . . which is why they are good at cuddling. At least that is what I am telling myself with my 2 1/2 year old.

Awesome pics!

| December 3, 2011 @ 2:34 am

5. nb said,

I am a kid at heart and cant get enough Santa santa santa. Attention Moms and Dads & grandparents alike .. you’ve got to try this site! http://www.santaoncamera.com
    Catch Santa in your home. Insert a picture of your festive house, add one of the website’s many-many Santa poses. Results are a perfect image of St.Nick stuffing your kids stockings. Christmas magic!! Try it out!

| December 6, 2011 @ 3:17 am

6. No Drama Mama said,

Crap. As the mother of a two-year-old, I was hoping this feeling comes on the third birthday. An extra year of this doesn’t sound so good right now.
    No Drama Mama´s last blog post ..A Very Bloggess Christmas Miracle (Again)

| December 7, 2011 @ 5:10 pm