Searching For Great Kids’ Activities

This past weekend was pretty tough. Have I mentioned recently that my children are crazy? They’re getting better. I mean, it’s not like it was when they were two but it’s certainly not easy yet. Sometimes I feel bad when I see other moms of young twins -younger than mine. They will give me this pleading look and say, “It gets easier right?” And then I look them straight in the eye and say, “Oh yes, if you can just hold on until they’re two, you’ve got it made” which is an outright lie. But I am doing them a favor. Everyone needs hope, a light at the end of the tunnel, a reason to get through another day. And truthfully it does get somewhat easier but my twins are almost four and it’s still pretty constant.

They do entertain each other now though. I love to watch them have their private jokes with each other. They whisper and giggle and plan and scheme and are generally pretty darned cute -so see? I don’t bitch all the time! Sadie is also willful and demanding and insists on being carried everywhere and Matilda is emotional and sensitive and very very specific in her likes and dislikes -okay so a little bitching.

The thing that’s the hardest about having three kids honestly is keeping them entertained and coming up with family friendly things to do. I wrote a Babble post about the things I DON’T LIKE TO DO and I will follow it up with some things I do like to do but I need suggestions. Why not check out the things I’m not into first though so you know just what kind of freak you’re dealing with.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on October 24, 2011 5:43 pmUncategorized9 comments

1. rebecca said,

I am pretty sure you suggested the cell phone store as a place of interest for children and I took you up on it and that place is great. The kids get to poke all the numbers they want and fiddle with the touch screens and the whole time I just tell the good folks at ATT that they are the product durability team. I’m pretty sure they hate it when I come to their store.

Also, I love taking the kids to The Home Depot. That place is like an amusement park. They love going in and out the shower displays, sitting on the toilet displays, taking a shower in the shower display (all clothes stay on and no water). They also love the refrigerators….pushing buttons, opening the doors…..finding the fake box of pizza and then going to the ovens to fake bake the fake pizzas….They have a fun time running in and out the sheds outside.
    rebecca´s last blog post ..Michael Steven Buble

| October 24, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

2. Marta said,

Unfortunately, other than the zoo which is on your don’t list my children’s venturing outside the house consist of going to Target, the park, Target, the grocery store, Target, the mall, I think you see the picture.

Do you have a Science or Children’s Museum around they might like?
    Marta´s last blog post ..Things I’ve Never Done

| October 25, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

3. Adrianne said,

all ready to ramble off some places to go and i realized that there aren’t many places that are truly enjoyable with my wildcat chirruns. science center/children’s museum can a good one IF their bellies are full and moods are good. festivals/farms for pumpkin patch/hay rides in fall and apples/strawberries in summer can be good but these also seem better in theory than in reality. in the same vein as a dog park being fun for dogs, open gym at gymnastics places are usually a winner since i like to run my kids ragged. library can kill some time picking out books but no go on the library reading time because mine are not geared to sitting still and, frankly, neither is momma. water parks…or parks with splash/spray deals are a winner in the summertime. and even better because my husband likes to take them to these waterparks.
    Adrianne´s last blog post ..Congrats to Us

| October 25, 2011 @ 10:59 pm

4. Jackson said,

Cooking and baking.

| November 4, 2011 @ 1:20 am

5. merciblahblah said,

I can get on board with your list of don’t likes, because they all have one common factor – they are freaky scary (well, maybe except for the zoo). The circus? My one memory of going to the circus as a kid was laying on my parents’ laps the whole time and then barfing in a plastic bag on the car-ride home. No thanks. Magic show? Doug Henning? David Copperfield? Chris whatshisface? Freaks. The lot of them. Puppet theater? Ditto – don’t EVEN get me started on ventriloquists. Blech.

And your comment about handling two 2-year olds? In our house, three 2 year olds was a walk in the park compared to 3. Oh my Lord – when they turned 3 it was like Linda Blair, the chick from The Ring, and Chuckie all moved in. Hells bells, three 3 year olds is HARD. Those moms of 1 year old multiples have NO IDEA what’s in store for them….

I also agree with some of the above comments re: Home Depot – the Hubs takes one of ours almost every weekend on his weekly sojurn. And comment number two? Could’ve been written by me, except for the mall. The mall and the gym are my sacred places. There is no way I’d tarnish either by trying to drag my kids along with me. Target, the grocery, Target, Target, and the park? I can get on board with.

merci,
    Shannan
    merciblahblah´s last blog post ..Just Because

| November 4, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

6. jco said,

i totally agree w/ the “everyone needs hope” bit. we have triplets who just turned 4. and their toddlerhood was BRUTAL. and they still seem to be in it.

| November 7, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

7. Mya Maternity said,

Every parent needs to have hope at some point in their life whether it is when the kids are young or when they are teenagers causing problems. If my 18 month old is hard to deal with I couldn’t imagine having multiples. I have a great deal of respect for parents who have multiples.

| November 9, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

8. Carrie said,

I am just so happy to read that there is another almost-three-year-old out there who insists on being carried everywhere. I have twins too and one of them is like that. Makes me crazy. And hurts my back.

Yes, the threes have been hard. I am very ready for the fours.

Carrie

| November 9, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

9. Carrie said,

Sorry, I meant to says almost-four-year-old.

I plead twin three year olds as my excuse.

Carrie