Tutus and Tomboys

I’ve got one twin (Sadie) who loves  twirly, swooshy pink dresses and has never met a tiara she didn’t want to immediately put on her head.

She rules the castle with an iron fist though and lately she’s been getting some major push back from Matilda. Basically Matilda has entered a tomboy phase like nothing I’ve seen before in any of my friend’s children. She has determined that she dislikes anything for girls.

It’s strange because when I found out I was pregnant with my first daughter, I really wanted a girl. I just had a gut instinct for parenting a daughter. I know girls, I get girls, I am a girl. It’s not that I”m a girlie girl though; I feel more comfortable in a pair of jeans, I can’t accessorize for shit and I could care less about redoing my bathroom. But I like to talk about feelings. A lot.

When I found out I was going to have twins, my first thought was that I hoped I didn’t have two boys because I’d be so screwed. When I found out I was having two more girls I was ecstatic! The clothes! The ponytails! The nail polish! The glitter (okay not the glitter)!

So this Matilda thing is throwing me a bit. I wrote all about it here on my Babble Voices blog. I’d love your thoughts.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on September 19, 2011 5:50 pmUncategorized7 comments

1. rebecca said,

They are the cutest little girls.
    rebecca´s last blog post ..Please HELP!!!!

| September 19, 2011 @ 6:22 pm

2. Angie Liskey said,

They are so cute. I feel you — something about having girls makes sense. Did you know I’m pregnant with identical girl twins??? WTH???? I should probably be spending some time in your archives to see how you survived it!

| September 19, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

3. Annie P said,

OMG..they are delicious! Seriously–could they be any cuter!? I love it!! I think it’s cool that they have such distinctly different tastes; it will make life easier. Just look at photos of “Shilou” in the tabloids for tomboy fashion. 😉

| September 20, 2011 @ 12:02 am

4. Kim H said,

I recently listened to the podcast when you talked about this dynamic. I really identified with what your guest said about girls observing boys have the power so it may be desirable for a girl to become a tomboy. I think this is why I was a tomboy. Which has lead me down a road to a GREAT life. I am expecting a girl in October. I hope she turns out to be a tomboy also!!

| September 20, 2011 @ 12:34 am

5. barak said,

We like to give our children things that we as a grown ups doesnt do anymore. but now you got an excuse to do it :)
    barak´s last blog post ..Dog limping on a back leg

| September 24, 2011 @ 9:34 am

6. Marta said,

I read your babble post, but am commenting here. Its tough because on one hand Matilda may want to be Matt one day. One of my closest friends is transgender and she knew her whole life that she felt wrong as a boy. It was until high school that she told people and in college that she transitioned to being the gender she felt she should have been all along. Then again, it could totally be phase, she could just love superheroes (who doesn’t) and wanting to differentiate herself from her sister.

I think you’re doing the right thing and supporting her (with ON Shopping Spree) in whatever she chooses to be!
    Marta´s last blog post ..Listography – 5 Celebrities I’d Like to Have a Beer With

| September 27, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

7. patchhats said,

Both are so cute@!!Also, I thought you mom’s may be interested in the newest kids craze in my town, Patch Hats! Check out a hat you have never seen before here at www patchhats com

| October 5, 2011 @ 3:16 pm