I Recommend This Book

So we all know I love to snark. And despite my book loving ways, I will even (or especially) snark on books as seen here in my Babble Voices Ban These Books entry. But sometimes it’s just good to love on things! Over my many years of parenting, I’ve read a lot of books, some great, awful.

Here’s what I’m enjoying right this minute: M.O.M. (Mom Operating Manual) by Doreen Cronin and Laura Cornell – you know those ladies who bring us all the Click Clack Moo books. They’re best sellers and all that jazz. Anyhoo, this book is a manual for kids all about taking care of mom. It gives them valuable advice on the care and feeding of us parental units. I was given this book as a gift (an advanced copy YAY) and have been getting a million smiles from reading it to my 6-year-old who thinks the page about taking care of mom’s hair (“mothers love to have their hair combed, brushed and styled. There are also various accessories you may wish to experiment with -huge pink bow, jaunty beret, sparkly barrettes” is hilarious. Possibly because she is always trying to put crap in my hair!

My favorite is from a part about “minor malfunctions” which describes “snapping.”

“This will be your mother expressing everyday language, but at a heightened volume and accelerated or unusual speed.  For example, ‘Put your shoes on, please’ may sound more like Putyourshoesonplease! or PUT your SHOES on. PLEASE! Likely cause: You won’t put your shoes on. Quick fix: Put your shoes on. ”

I also like the description of Exercise: “Exercise is essential for your mother’s peak performance. it also gives her a legitimate reason to put on her favorite sweatpants and leave the house alone.” I’m actually wearing yoga pants as I type this and I DON’T DO YOGA PEOPLE!

And now, I’m tired but tomorrow I will make a list of some of my other all time favorite books for kids. So keep coming back!

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on September 21, 2011 8:38 pmBooks7 comments

1. rebecca said,

Now I want to check this book out. Sounds funny, especially because both of my kids love putting about five thousand bows in my hair and brushing my hair….I honestly love it when they brush my hair.
    rebecca´s last blog post ..Race Question

| September 22, 2011 @ 1:14 am

2. Marta said,

Love it. I may have to tell my kids to buy this for me for Christmas, or really should I buy for them??
    Marta´s last blog post ..To My Daughter on Her First Birthday

| September 22, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

3. Lisa H. said,

Holy shit. I love the idea of this book. It’s going on my 6 year old son’s Christmas list, whether he knows it or not.

And I’ve been having a bit of fun with the word “jaunty” lately. Just the other day, my husband asked how I was feeling and I said, “Quite jaunty this morning, thank you very much.”

Thanks for the book rec! My husband will want to read it too…

| September 24, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

4. threeundertwo said,

Love this idea! (And why didn’t I think of it!)
    threeundertwo´s last blog post ..Makes My Monday: The New Face in the Kitchen

| September 26, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

5. Lizbeth said,

I just wanna say that I love the idea of this book that why I want to check this book out now. Sounds funny, especially because both of my kids love putting about five thousand bows in my hair and brushing my hair too. Great!
    Lizbeth´s last blog post ..Food and Nutrition Standard Guidelines to Follow for Renal Disease

| September 27, 2011 @ 12:50 am

6. erin@mommyonthespot said,

This is brilliant! I think my 5 year old would love it!

| October 5, 2011 @ 1:02 am

7. Mya Maternity said,

Will definitely check out the book.

| October 12, 2011 @ 3:33 am