Children’s Book Classics I Want Banned

So I have this new post up on my Babble Voices Blog about my least favorite children’s books.

My vote for Most Boring

For example you will find my take on Goodnight Moon: This book doesn’t have a disturbing message. My main problem with it is that it’s criminally boring. I know it’s a classic. But why? To me it’s the Emperor’s New Clothes – we’re supposed to like it but no kids actually do. What’s interesting about it? Just an old lady whispering hush. Why is she whispering hush? She’s all alone! Is she an off duty librarian? Are the socks and mittens trying to study? No? Then why do we have to hush? Go brush your fucking hair and go to bed and let us do the same with a more interesting book.

I kept the Babble post short and only mentioned five books but there are so many more and I’m a little obsessed with this topic. It’s mostly the classic books that I feel like I’m supposed to like but often don’t. I know it’s not exactly a political issue but why do I feel like admitting you don’t like Goodnight Moon is up there with saying you didn’t breastfeed? It’s almost as if copping to my real feelings about Goodnight Moon is in essence turning my back on nostalgia. But hey, I’m nostalgic, trust me. Give me Sylvester and the Magic Pebble any day! I’d kick you in the eyeteeth to get to the last bookstore copy of Lyle Lyle. My kids own Free To Be You and Me and I’ve listened to that bitch on my own time. I’m definitely nostalgic. I just don’t get the appeal of Goodnight Moon and that’s the last you’ll hear me defend myself. Check out my Babble Banned Book Picks and then let me know what books you recommend or which ones you can’t stand.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on September 1, 2011 2:06 pmUncategorized11 comments

1. rebecca said,

My daughter loves all the Fancy Nancy books and the Cam Jansen books.
    rebecca´s last blog post ..Warmth

| September 1, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

2. Kelsey said,

My kids actually both really loved Goodnight Moon – maybe it was calming for them? But we definitely have others that I’ve wanted to hide – One particularly annoying Elmo book about Valentine’s Day comes to mind…
    Kelsey´s last blog post ..First First Day

| September 1, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

3. NikkiG said,

I never read it as a child. As an adult, I read it once, and put the book aside – never to be picked up again. If I can envision reading it more than once, I won’t read it to my child, because I know I’ll have to read it thousands of times.

In short, I agree! It’s boring.
    NikkiG´s last blog post ..Top 10 Terrible Side Dishes

| September 1, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

4. Kelly said,

I really like the David series, by David Shannon when Mea was little. She had one memorized when she was about 2, and would “read” it too us.

We recently found The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales again, and I am liking it the second time around. I bought it for Mack when she was around Mea’s age.

Mea really liked Goodnight Moon, and after reading it eleventy million times, I hated it. I was quite happy when it accidentally got torn up and had to be thrown away.
    Kelly´s last blog post ..My Arsenal…

| September 1, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

5. Rainyday said,

You might like this installment of the traveling “Character Assassination Carousel,” in which bloggers have fun bashing, snarking, or otherwise mocking a beloved children’s classic of their choice.
    Rainyday´s last blog post ..Breaking up is hard to do… or is it?

| September 3, 2011 @ 12:22 am

6. Samantha said,

My kids loved Goodnight Moon.

And the old woman whispering hush isn’t alone in the room. The bunny rabbit is in there. And so is the young mouse.

| September 3, 2011 @ 2:17 am

7. Goody said,

Well, there’s this version:

-But my kid didn’t think it was funny.

| September 4, 2011 @ 2:38 am

8. Lisa H. said,

I fucking love Goodnight Moon. It calms me. The kids like it too. My husband hates The Big Red Barn. I accidentally almost wrote “The Big Red Burn”, which is what he wants to do to that book. But alas, I love The Big Red Barn too. Oh well, whaddayagonna do?

| September 5, 2011 @ 12:51 am

9. Erin said,

Wait, we’re supposed to read to our kids?

| September 5, 2011 @ 3:44 am

10. Marta said,

You don’t like Madeline?? What is wrong with you? I grew up reading Madeline and Babar. I have to admit Goodnight Moon is a little odd, though I love the version for Halloween of Goodnight Goon. My son LOVES it. Love you Forever makes me cry every time I read it, so my son never lets me read it.

A book I loved but is a little weird is the Amelia Bedilia series. I’m pretty sure any normal people would have fired her and probably sued her for property damage.
    Marta´s last blog post ..Listography: Things I Did This Summer

| September 6, 2011 @ 6:00 pm

11. kelly said,

Good Night Moon is a good-night book, and I think it really does its job, especially for very young children.

Notice the subtle changes in illustrations from one page to the next, including the increasing darkness.

Helping small children to become sensitive to subtle details, and hense more quiet, brings peace and relaxation in a familiar and affectionate room.

This is the classic charm of Good Night Moon!

| September 18, 2011 @ 9:52 am