The Parent Experiment

In general I like the company of other parents. I think it’s imperative to have good relationships with your kids’ friends’ parents so that everyone feels all comfy cozy when their kids hang out with each other. Plus, when our kids are young (especially newborns) it’s just nice to feel like we’re all in one boat rowing for our lives and we have other people to bitch to about the cramped quarters and possible chance of not making it to shore…or at least never taking another shower.

When I was a brand new mom I was somewhat of a whore. I would spend time with anyone who had kids and expressed even the slightest interest in engaging with me. I would wheel Elby through the mall in her pimped out Graco and strike up conversations with anyone with a kid – sometimes it was bordered on pathetic. “Hi. I notice you have a pretty new baby there! I have one too! What do you call yours? Wanna grab an Orange Julius?” I did get a few phone numbers this way but, not surprisingly, no lasting relationships. Eventually I did become friends with one mom I met at a park and another one I bonded with at a mommy and me class. The mommy and me class I only joined because I was desperate to make a friend but it was tough because I brought along my baby and a bad attitude. I didn’t want to sing the songs or recite the rhymes as a group. I felt like isn’t it enough that I make faces, read stories and sing songs to my kid 23 hours a day why is it necessary to do it in front of an audience? The second I found a like minded mom, we dropped out. I don’t think Elby missed it. At least she never mentioned it.

As cranky as I may sound, the bottom line is I crave connection as bad as the next parent. Having children is so huge that when you take on that role, it spills into every pore, every space, it takes over so completely that you naturally need to talk about it and keep talking about it and figuring it out and after all is said and done you’ll still need to know more.

Which is why I’m loving my new job as the co-host of The Parent Experiment on Adam Carolla’s ACE Broadcast Network. I’m hosting with Lynette Carolla who not only is normal, cool, down to earth and relatable, she is also funny and a good listener. My job is mainly to do what I do which is tell the truth about my experiences and get our guests to do the same.

Please help me keep this going by subscribing to the podcast which is FREE on iTunes and possibly going to the message boards and telling us what you’d like to hear us discuss and who you’d like to see as a guest.

I leave you with this cuteness:

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on March 7, 2011 8:05 pmUncategorized9 comments

1. rebecca said,

She is your mini me isn’t she? She is precious!
    rebecca´s last blog post ..Surgery

| March 7, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

2. nicolette @ momnivore's dilemma said,

Whoring…hilarious…

I remember combing the neighborhood, searching for like-minded mommies when my oldest was still in a stroller. Luckily, I did uncover some cool ass moms who are my core now.

It does take a village, and even better if you actually enjoy their company…

I’d love to hear the real stories of people with “special needs” kids. Hell, interview me.

| March 7, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

• rebecca said,

Many special needs are on our part. You can read my blog if you have insomnia. It’s a real snoozer.
      rebecca´s last blog post ..Surgery

| March 7, 2011 @ 10:08 pm

3. Cheryl said,

Count me in on the podcast listening crew! (I was SOOO much the multiples mom meet-up-in-the-mall whore, too!)

After all this time, albeit I’m lame about communicating it, you’re still one of my fave e-mom friends. Thanks for the continued laughs and inspiration.
    Cheryl´s last blog post ..Makes My Monday- Couched Couple

| March 7, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

4. am said,

My sister, who doesn’t have kids and isn’t married, lOVES this podcast! So it’ll be interesting/cool to hear her talk about you on it now;-)

she really *hearts* it.

Congrats!!

| March 8, 2011 @ 3:20 am

5. Jordan said,

Yes! Craving connnection is so true. It can be especially difficult to attain though when we have kids that are always demanding things from us. It’s good to find those at similar points that can relate to us so well.

| March 10, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

6. Mish said,

I thought the tattoo on her arm said “Farty Girl” and if that’s so, she should totally hang out with my son… who loves farting more than anything in the world. Miss you! xoxo

| March 12, 2011 @ 4:43 am

7. Alison said,

I’ve been listening to the Parent Experiment since the beginning – and was SO glad to hear your voice again last week! Congrats! You adn Lynette make a GREAT pair!!
    Alison´s last blog post ..Tractor Time!

| March 15, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

8. muskrat said,

Tats rule! Glad you had the good sense to steer her from any thoughts of a “tramp stamp,” too. On the shoulder’s where it’s at. Be proud.
    muskrat´s last blog post ..does idealism die when it’s your kids

| March 16, 2011 @ 2:47 am