Opportunity to Help and Get Advertising!

I never do this sort of thing. Personally I absolutely hate asking anyone for anything. I think it has to do with growing up sort of scrappy and independent and fending for myself a lot. I don’t want to get into it (read the book). But here’s the situation: My twins’ preschool class has been assigned a needy family to provide a proper Christmas for. The families come to us through the Los Angeles Regional Center which provides services to people with disabilities. Sadie got all of her therapy hours (PT, OT, Speech, Nutrition, Development, Behavioral) through the Regional Center so they have a special place in my heart. The family that was assigned to our room has 10-month old twin girls both with disabilities and a five-year-old son.

Yesterday when I shopped for this family at Ross (cross dress for less) I started feeling very emotional about it just imagining how insanely tough it must be to be poor and have baby girls with disabilities and then I thought about how hard it must be to be a five-year-old boy in that situation as well. And then there was the family’s wish list. They asked for almost nothing. Other families who were assigned to other rooms in our school asked for bikes, iPods etc. Our family? Warm blankets. Seriously. The dad asked for size 12 work boots (which immediately made me think that he just wants to work and provide for his family but even having proper footwear is a struggle) and they asked for books for their children. They also asked for car seats for the babies (they would be happy with used) and I went out to my neighborhood about the car seats but so far no one has any.

I feel heartbroken over this and as much as I could buy myself it’s not enough. And I know the holidays are a tough time but I guarantee that if you’re reading this blog, you have it better than this family. So here’s where I and my aversion for asking for anything come in. I was thinking that maybe I could ask for donations for this family and in return, I will provide advertising for your blog or business. For every person or company that donates over 5 bucks, I will give you a proper shout-out and link to your company or your blog. I won’t just mention your blog, I will go read it and say something personal and nice about it! Same with your company as long as you don’t sell something offensive. The deadline for me to buy gift cards or deliver them to the person in charge of this family is next Wednesday. I’ve come up with a couple of ways to do this:

You could donate directly to my paypal acct. at Babyonbored@gmail.com (obviously you’ll just have to trust me that I will take every donation and add it to the fund to purchase gift cards to Target and Food 4 Less.

Or you can send a check directly to Sage Academy and earmark it for the Purple Room family. SAGE Academy 5901 Lindley Ave., Tarzana CA 91356

Or if you’re local, you could just drop it off at the school.

If you can think of another way I could do this, I’m open.

I will start giving shout outs as soon as I get the first donation!

P.S. if this makes you uncomfortable in ANY way, don’t donate. I totally get it. I’m getting hit up for money right and left with my kids going to two different schools but this situation with the baby girl twins hits me hard and I can’t not ask. And seriously, people pay me to advertise so I feel like I’m kind of giving you a deal! Email me with any questions!

Okay so the first donations are already in! I will put up the shout outs as the donations come in but I will also do a separate blog post next week to really showcase you all!!

Marinka from motherhoodinNYC sent our family a nice chunk of change and didn’t even want me to mention her blog. I told her “Listen, people love your blog and might feel inspired that someone as awesome as you stepped up.” So she agreed that I could give her a shout out. Her blog cracks me up on a regular basis, her humor is silly and smart. She also blogs at The Mouthy Housewives. Do yourselves a favor and check her out! Unless you don’t like to laugh and in that case skip it.

The blog Cute Ella Is Bold was my very first donation. I went straight over there and was pleasantly surprised by a funny, fun not-too-mommyish blog. The second post down about reader submitted ugly shoes made me laugh out loud and my daughter whose home sick today thought they were pretty damn ugly too. Go have a look!

Another blog www.joeyfortman.com also didn’t disappoint. A regular mom who loves her iPhone (my husband would love her), her three boys (hey, I have three girls, let’s have lunch) and her husband and a certain beverage from Starbucks (I find Starbucks to have a burned taste but we can still be friends). I am really enjoying my new blog finds!!

This is not to mention the six other donations I’ve received so far from people without a business or blog but just wanted to help! I’m a complete emotional mess over your generosity and I’m not even premenstrual. But thanks Marinka for suggesting I may be perimenopausal. I take back the nice things I said about your blog.

My friend Elizabeth at Flourish In Progress donated a cool hundee to the gift card. Thank you so much. Her blog is hilarious, enlightening, fresh, creative and has already been plugged on my blog before! She is really funny and cool (except for her love of scrapbooking).

New donation from Katie at Lee Lee News Wow. This blog is about a mom, her daughter and her daughter surviving meningitis. Her daughter is so so cute and what an amazing story. I’m loving this blog reading!!!

Okay so Jennifer who I absolutely love and who Tweets the funniest tweets at @therealmartha (which is the real martha stewart who refuses to follow her back which is ridiculous!) just donated!

Lauren Hale at My Postpartum Voice made a donation and when I checked out her blog I thought, wow, information and support on PPD that is just mom to mom. The world needs more of that and less of Tom Cruise’s opinion. She’s a top ten PPD writer by the way so check her out!

Pippi from an Etsy site called Anders Ruff Custom Designs donated. I checked out their stuff and it’s really cute! They do a lot of different stuff but what stood out to me was their custom party invites. There was a Sesame Street number that was downright adorable I wish my twins were turning three again!

Got a donation from a friend of a friend who blogs at JJust Kidding the blog is chock full of great photos and a healthy dose of wit. Plus her daughter’s name is Beatrix which is like, ridiculously cute!!

Erica from The Robertson Family blog. I have been an actual reader of this blog and I’m here to tell you that it’s good. She’s a mom with a special needs kiddo herself so she gets it and was especially inspired to help. Erica’s daughter has Rett syndrome and she blogs about that plus things like how much she appreciates drive thru banks. I AGREE!

@DysfuncSupermom just sent me a generous donation. She came to me from @thenextmartha who I gave a shout out to earlier but what the hell. Anyway go follow @DysfuncSupermom because seriously, that is so cool.

Amy Hatvany is an author who sent me her book called Best Kept Secret to check out and I absolutely loved it. Well, she sent me an incredibly generous donation to which I said, “Oh my GOD. You are so nice AND an amazing author. Can I interview you?” She said yes so my interview with her will be up on Monday and in the meantime you can check out her website.

Next up, Julie from A little Pregnant sent a really really nice donation and then told me I could buy MYSELF something with it which is a sweet offer! Ha ha, I wouldn’t do that and I will write up a meticulous accounting of every person who donated, blog or no blog so that if your donation is not on the list you can comment but that won’t happen because every penny is going to our family. Anyhoo, Julie is one of those smart, excellent and hilarious writers that when you’re a new blogger you only dream of getting recognized by. Well, when I was new, Julie commented on my blog and I almost lost my shit. She’s that awesome.

Latest donation is from Yanicka who has this seriously crazy cool Etsy store calledLee Lee Tutu I DIE! She has tons of tutus and they are insane! You will buy a hundred so have a credit card handy. it’s not safe for people like me with three girls I’m telling you!

Heidi from Girl to Mom just sent me a lovely donation. I can’t believe how generous people are! Okay so here the thing: I spent hours recently reading this blog and Heidi’s son’s story and I was in tears and also in awe at this mama’s strength. I heard about her from Babble because she’s right up there in the high rated blog nominations. I love how we’re all becoming this big beautiful bloggy family who are wanting to help one another.

Okay, this is so cute! Polka Dot Posies just made a donation and when I went to check out the store, I thought holy cow I could spend a fortune here. It’s like girly girl hair heaven. You must check out the dollar bows and flower hats immediately!

And then there’s Wendi Aarons. Have you read her blog? If not, you have a serious problem. The problem is you’re not clued in to the good blogs! Um, she’s super funny and if her post about seeing Barry Mannilow doesn’t make you spill your beverage all over your computer due to laughing too hard you are not my kind of person.

Next up is Joe Camp who created the character Benji. Yeah, I have famous givers! He and his wife are now big time horse people. If food lovers are called foodies, should we call horse lovers horsies? In any case, he has a blog now that is like a horse lovers (or horsies) dream come true. It’s called Soul of a Horse and if you go there you can check out his horse book too! So do that, you horsie you.

Last shout out for tonight. check out Desperately Seeking Caffeine if you want to read a heart tugging letter to her four-year-old. She didn’t even want a shout out but I think her blog deserves viewing! Any more will have to go up tomorrow and then I will do separate pages next week.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on December 8, 2010 7:47 pmUncategorized27 comments

1. Cute~Ella said,

With the other charities and what not I’m working on stuff for, I’m sorry I can’t do more, but I sent money via Paypal.
    Cute~Ella´s last blog post ..Choosing Happy

| December 8, 2010 @ 8:05 pm

2. Melissa Dix said,

Good for you for doing this. I’ve sent money via Paypal. Happy Holidays!

| December 8, 2010 @ 8:16 pm

3. rebecca said,

With any luck, I will link back to this post on my blog, hopefully one of my readers can send this family something they need and something they will enjoy.
    rebecca´s last blog post ..Bugging Me

| December 8, 2010 @ 8:22 pm

4. Joey Fortman said,

Hey Stefani!
    What a great way to give back!!
    I donated to you…I hope that you’ll share with us how you did on your fundraiser!

Joey Fortman
    Joey Fortman´s last blog post ..10 Things That Make Me Happy

| December 8, 2010 @ 8:34 pm

5. elizabeth- flourish in progress said,

Stefanie, it’s like you’re a saint or something.

Totally awesome of you to love and help others during this hectic, maddening holiday season.

Obviously, you are awesome.
    elizabeth- flourish in progress´s last blog post ..Monday Dare- everyones got a talent even me

| December 8, 2010 @ 10:00 pm

6. The Kindness of Strangers « dysfunctionalsupermomdotcom said,

[…] And one blogger whose daughter goes to the same pre-school as this family, stepped up. And she’s standing in the gap for this family. And some of us are standing up with her. […]

| December 9, 2010 @ 1:48 am

7. Crystal said,

I really love that you are doing this. We have always been the “low income” family at my childrens schools, so each year around this time people come together and purchase gifts/toys for my children. Also, at Thanksgiving we receive a big basket loaded with food (including a turkey).
    I cannot tell you how much this helps and how blessed I feel to know that there are people out there that care so much! : )

| December 9, 2010 @ 2:07 am

8. Lynn MacDonald said,

So I read the posting and I wanted to donate but I seriously don’t see a donate button…or pay pal…or anything. Am I blind? Stupid? Old? All of the above? Just email me and I’ll be happy to give. Thx bye. Lynn

| December 9, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

• Marinka said,

No, silly! You’re just a skimmer! Here are the details:

Marinka´s last blog post ..Idiot

| December 9, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

• Lynn MacDonald said,

Nope, i saw that stuff. I hate checks so i wanted paypay. But, do i go to my paypal account…i’ve never gone to paypal without pressing a button. Shit, i hate sending checks. i like charging…that’s what i do…i’m a charger.

| December 9, 2010 @ 3:03 pm

9. The Onions said,

[…] birds with one onion as possible. Stone! I mean STONE! And here’s a great way to do that. Go here, read the post and PayPal some money over to help a family in need. And what do you get for your […]

| December 9, 2010 @ 2:54 pm

10. Thursday Thirteen: Winter Edition « Cute~Ella is Bold. said,

[…] and try to share that with which I’m blessed with others. Yesterday I donated a little to this cause, I’m also volunteering here, I’ve purchased a few items for Toys for Tots and sent […]

| December 9, 2010 @ 3:23 pm

11. Sarah said,

What a sweet thing for you to do. If I could afford to put money into paypal, I would. Maybe next week.
    Sarah´s last blog post ..The Evil Elf on the Shelf

| December 9, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

12. Deanna Rodriguez said,

Think you’re awesome for doing this. Actually … I think you’re awesome anyway. Sent money via Paypal.

| December 9, 2010 @ 9:39 pm

13. Karen said,

Sent a little something. I also have twin baby girls and two little boys…You are doing a really good thing here, and I appreciate being able to participate.
    Peace~
    Karen

| December 9, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

14. Annie said,

I just used paypal to send something (wish it was more!) for the family. However, I forgot to write anything in the message! It said Jitters Production – that will definitely go to you and you will know it is meant for this family even though I didn’t put a message, right? I am sounding like a babbling idiot right now. Technology does that to me. Sorry.

It was through my husband’s account. (Again, I hate technology.) Please let me know if it went through correctly!

Good luck with the donations and congrats to you for being such a stellar person as to brighten another family’s holiday season this way!!

| December 9, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

15. Jennifer Smith said,

I sent a little something. I think it is a fabulous idea to use the internet to help spread the word and come up with a bit of much needed supplies for a family in need. Children with disabilties need so much more and this was a perfect gift for me to get behind.
    Cheers to you!
    Jennifer
    Jennifer Smith´s last blog post ..So you wanna come visit

| December 9, 2010 @ 10:36 pm

16. Abbie said,

I just sent a donation via paypal. I have a 9 month old and the idea of not having enough blankets for him is heart breaking.
    Abbie´s last blog post ..Maize

| December 10, 2010 @ 12:43 am

17. jenn @ breedemandweep said,

Sent a little something too. Sending love to you and that family!

| December 10, 2010 @ 12:45 am

18. Jessica said,

what sizes are the girls? I may have some clothes to donate to them, which I will mail or drop off at the school. I think I leave near you. Let me know.

| December 10, 2010 @ 12:46 am

19. amber said,

I heard about what you were doing on a friend’s blog and couldn’t not chip in. I would totally send you my car seat if I could…but the shipping on that would be hell.

Hope my itty bitty donation helps.

| December 10, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

• amber said,

It’ll come from Amber Page…don’t know if you need to know that.

| December 10, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

20. MommaKiss said,

Not sure how I ended up here, but I’m here and this is incredible. We chose a family last year who asked for basics. Sheets, underwear, basics. I went hog wild to give this family a happy christmas and it felt damn good.

| December 11, 2010 @ 1:02 am

21. Heidi Ferrer said,

Steph,

Can I call you Steph now ’cause we’ve emailed? Hee hee…I am really in awe of YOU and officially dubbing you a Nice Person even if you beg off and say you’re not. That is just like all of the good mothers say they are bad mothers, saying you’re a bad mother is a sign you care and are surely a good mother! My heart is growing two sizes from your idea and generosity. This will grow exponentially and I bet you get that precious girl her walker!

-Heidi Ferrer (www.GirltoMom.com)

| December 11, 2010 @ 3:54 am

22. It’s been a while… « NAOYP said,

[…] facebook page (you should read her blog, it’s nothing short of awesome!) which led me to baby on bored’s latest blog posting.  I find that this time of year people are generally more generous (although we should be ALL year […]

| December 11, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

23. Heidi Ferrer said,

I meant Stef! Sorry for the typo!

I linked back to you today and posted about your Christmas family on my newbie site. Ya never know:)

-Heidi Ferrer (www.GirltoMom.com)
    Heidi Ferrer´s last blog post ..Deck the Balls

| December 12, 2010 @ 1:15 am

24. Anne Marie said,

hi-
    just had to tell you what a great thing you’re doing. it’s inspiring for sure!

that’s all;-)
    Anne Marie´s last blog post ..COOLMAX® EcoMade Socks Giveaway Extravaganza!

| December 12, 2010 @ 4:09 am