First Day of Kindergarten (with pictures)

How do they go from this:

to this?

while I’m not looking?

I was a little nervous taking my big girl to school for her first day of Kindergarten today. That’s not strange. But what IS strange? She wasn’t. This girl who has had so many fears (rational and irrational), who has a list of worries a mile long, who is as empathetic as the day is long, who loves loves loves to dance herself silly to Hannah Montana when we’re all alone but who is anxious about being spotted in her underwear when a friend comes over, this girl was not scared to go to Kindergarten. My baby who thinks people are making fun of her if she has a little cream cheese smear on her chin, who gets sad when she doesn’t get enough attention, who asks me over and over “were we invited?” when I take her places, who gives her sisters hugs for no reason, who gets Matilda a band-Aid when she has a boo boo, who tells me “I like your eye shadow, mommy” but worries that her dress looks funny, didn’t even blink an eye that today was her first day at a brand new school. And afterward?

“I wasn’t even nervous, mama! I had a great time! Helena even sat next to me. She wasn’t sitting all the way next to me but then she scootched over because she wanted to be all the way next to me. Isn’t that great?”

Yes, it is great, sweetheart. It’s so great.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on September 7, 2010 9:59 pmUncategorized20 comments

1. Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said,

My son started Kindergarten last week. Congrats mama! It’s amazing how fast they grow up. I knew my son was fine when he was barking orders at kids on the playground, not shy at all, he’s soooo my kid.

I think the biggest fun will be the other parents…can’t wait!
    Julie {Angry Julie Monday}´s last blog post ..Kindergarten- we have arrived

| September 7, 2010 @ 10:56 pm

2. Melissa said,

That is great. When they are nervous/scared/sad, it’s really hard (on the both of you). For her to be eager and happy is a real blessing! I’m glad she had such a great first day of Kindergarten!
    Melissa´s last blog post ..haydens beach party

| September 7, 2010 @ 11:13 pm

3. rebecca said,

She is absolutely gorgeous and a complete mini-me of you. I have no idea what you looked like as a kid but you had to look exactly like that.

Glad she had a great first day! (We had our first day of kindergarten back in July and we just scheduled for parent-teacher conferences! Yikes!) I’m excited because my daughter is doing well but YIKES because she’s growing up so fast.
    rebecca´s last blog post ..Little Reader

| September 7, 2010 @ 11:21 pm

4. Ellie said,

OH, I love those pictures!

And your description of your daughter made me smile .. Greta is so exactly the same way. She has this total fear of missing the bus, or having the bus driver forget to drop her off. On the first afternoon the bus drove by instead of dropping her off, and I was in such a panic I ran down the street after the bus, screaming and waving my arms. The bus didn’t stop, and while I was busy freaking out, the driver looped around and dropped her off. I thought she would be a MESS. She was totally, completely fine. She simply told the driver he forgot and asked him politely to go back around.

This, from the girl who can’t even squeak ‘hello’ to adults she has met a million times.

You just never know, do you?

You look super fabulous, BTW. I’m in love with your bag, too. :)

-Ellie
    Ellie´s last blog post ..Chasing God

| September 7, 2010 @ 11:39 pm

5. Kelsey said,

My daughter just started a couple of weeks ago. They are getting so big!

Those are beautiful shots of both of you.
    Kelsey´s last blog post ..Torn

| September 8, 2010 @ 1:13 am

6. Cheryl said,

So so precious, Stef! Can scarcely believe how time’s flown…our two entered THIRD grade today!

Beautiful picture of you and your little kindergartener!
    Cheryl´s last blog post ..Way Back When-esday- Morning Matriculation

| September 8, 2010 @ 2:32 am

7. Jill VT said,

Isn’t it surprising, what fazes them – and what doesn’t? You both look gorgeous. You make 40ish look awesome – do you have a magic night cream regime I can copy?!

| September 8, 2010 @ 2:40 am

8. Mommy on the Spot said,

So glad the day went well. Isn’t it crazy how they change? sigh.
    Mommy on the Spot´s last blog post ..Mental Snapshots – Feel Good Friday

| September 8, 2010 @ 2:48 am

9. The Daver said,

She’s awesome. ’nuff said.
    The Daver´s last blog post ..What Happens When You Bring Your Kids to Frys

| September 8, 2010 @ 3:28 am

10. Jen said,

She’s a super cutie and I’m digging your pink ensemble too.

This morning my girl nearly cried because I pointed out she had some cream cheese on her face and that she needed to wash it off before going to school. Totally true story. Our girls should totally scootch all the way next to each other some time. The results could be awesome. Or perhaps terrible. It’s hard to predict.
    Jen´s last blog post ..Wiggle room

| September 8, 2010 @ 4:58 am

11. Lindsay said,

{hi I’m new}

You ladies look pretty in your pink.

My two boys are much younger (1 mo & 19 mo), so I am not experienced in *adult* conversation – will they be able to carry on a conversation with me like your daughter does now? Wow. That will be nice.
    Lindsay´s last blog post ..this little piggy

| September 8, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

12. creative type dad said,

My daughter started kindergarten yesterday. It is amazing how fast they grow in just one short year.

| September 8, 2010 @ 4:20 pm

13. Gamanda said,

That melts my heart! How adorable.
    Gamanda´s last blog post ..Hoarders Light

| September 8, 2010 @ 8:27 pm

14. Fiona said,

Just lovely! Wow she looks like you. I mean completely.

| September 9, 2010 @ 12:03 am

15. m said,

This made me cry.

| September 9, 2010 @ 12:09 am

16. Dana said,

What a milestone! For the both of you! Congratulations on a grand achievement.
    Dana´s last blog post ..A paycheck

| September 9, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

17. Kir said,

oh my!!!! she is soooo beautiful, LOOK at that smile!!!!

I am so glad (and teary) that she LOVED kindergarten, she’s going to “rule the school”

Hugs to you both
    Kir´s last blog post ..Good Book- Bad End

| September 9, 2010 @ 5:23 pm

18. Kelly said,

She is absolutely precious!!! Looks so much like mommy! :)

| September 12, 2010 @ 3:55 am

19. seekingclarav said,

Must stop reading sweet daughter posts while pregnant…now I’m all kinds of emotional.

I absolutely love the way you describe her personality. What a little sweetie. I cannot imagine kindergarten day and I won’t, for now, for obvious reasons!

Yay, you both made it!
    seekingclarav´s last blog post ..Quick like a bunny…

| September 12, 2010 @ 9:25 pm

20. muskrat said,

I’m not allowing my little girls to grow up. Not doing it.
    The boy? Yeah, that’s cool.
    muskrat´s last blog post ..the modern media muskrat summit

| September 18, 2010 @ 7:05 pm