Don’t Get Drunk Fridays: Night Train to Sobriety

So I’m not sure what the rules are regarding reprinting something on my blog that was originally published elsewhere. Even if I credit the original source and link there etc. it may be wrong so I won’t do it right now but…this is one of the best essays about quitting drinking I’ve ever read. It gives me goosebumps. It’s by everyone’s favorite writer Anne Lamott so it can’t be bad right?

Someone on the Booze Free Brigade suggested it a long time ago and oooh I related. Related, and felt so much less alone. And isn’t that what we all want? To feel like we’re not alone? Go read this and tell me what you think.

Night Train To Sobriety

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on August 13, 2010 6:19 pmDon't Get Drunk Friday7 comments

1. Lynde Paule said,

You need to have the author’s permission if you reprint it in your blog.

| August 14, 2010 @ 12:22 am

2. Alice said,

Hello:
    I saw your special on 20/20 a few months ago and have been thinking about it ever since. Your story resonates with my own in many ways. I live in Ventura and work in Woodland Hills. Can you suggest any AA groups in the area, perhaps women’s only? I’m very involved in a Monday night family group in Westlake Village at St. Judes church with my 21 year old son as the qualifier. I have realized that I can not have hope for him to find sobriety if I don’t address my own self-medicating nightly glasses of wine. I have never been to an AA meeting and want to see how I feel if I’m around other woman with similar stories. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

| August 14, 2010 @ 9:28 pm

3. Rebecca said,

Annie Lamott has written some fabulous stuff about parenting (as a single mum) & about getting sober & staying that way, she also writes about writing which is very cool. Love her stuff.

I enjoy your blog too by the way. Been reading it off & on for almost 3 years. Some day soon I’ll bust out & buy a book or two.

| August 15, 2010 @ 9:07 am

4. Sandra said,

Oh wow, I had recently read her “Mother’s Rage” essay and hadn’t gotten around to reading any more of her writing but I’d wanted too. I love how she says she was “walking the tightrope.”
    Sandra´s last blog post ..Out the window

| August 16, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

5. K said,

Wow. I love Anne Lamott. I didn’t remember though that she is sober. Interesting that this fact hadn’t stuck with me. As usual, she made me laugh and then she made me cry. That thing at the end, about them loving you b/c they see you’re lonely? Tore me to pieces. Great pick.
    K´s last blog post ..A Long Week

| August 16, 2010 @ 8:46 pm

6. muskrat said,

I have several of her books and enjoyed this little taste of her writing a great deal.

I have a feeling, however, that I’ll need to read two of her pieces tomorrow night.
    muskrat´s last blog post ..muskrattle and a bonzai run to portland

| August 18, 2010 @ 3:16 am

7. Josie said,

You are an inspiration to me. I know I need to quit drinking – you stopped a few days after my second baby was born. I too was able to not drink when I was preggers but as soon as that baby was out I was popping the cork and pumping. It has gotten out of hand for me too and there is no “two glasses” of wine for me any more. I have put off going to AA because it scares me but you have inspired me and maybe I’ll meet other “cool” moms who are in the same boat. Wish me luck.

| August 19, 2010 @ 2:48 pm