Guess Who Else Has a Drinking Problem?

One look at Sadie and you can tell she’s going to be trouble. My little peanut is the fiestiest one in the bunch and I honestly couldn’t love it more. So the big news in my world is that we pulled her feeding tube out on Sunday night. I wanted to do it much sooner but Jon wanted to wait until flu season was over just to be super safe. I used the same technique on him that I used to get him to propose; namely I nagged and nagged and brought up over and over until I wore him down and he said “Fine.”

Saturday I asked if we could take the tube out on Sunday and Jon said okay. Then I asked a bunch of times if we could take it out that very day since he’d already agreed to Sunday so what difference did it make? “Huh? Huh? Can we just do it now? Can we? Why not? But I want to!! Pleeeaaase? Pleeeaase!” Listen, I’m crazy and I’ve never pretended to be anything else so just be happy you aren’t married to me and move on. Jon wouldn’t agree to taking it out a day earlier because he wanted to be able to take her in to the doctor the next day if anything went awry so I waited impatiently for Sunday. After her nap I made my move and pulled the tube out. It was actually less gross than I expected. There was a little hole there and some red skin but nothing has been oozing out which was the problem to watch for. I don’t think Sadie actually notices a difference but I do. I’m so relieved. I guess it was just the last thing (besides her therapy which she still gets) that was a physical reminder of all the problems she’s had since birth. Now she eats, runs (sort of), talks, sleeps, whines and cuddles like every other kid her age. So Sunday was a good day.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on March 16, 2010 7:38 pmSadie,Uncategorized27 comments

1. Amanda said,

Congratulations – way to go Sadie!

I’m telling you – Little Bites Blueberry Muffins – I think my little peanut could eat her weight in them…
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..Ever wonder how I got here???? =-.

| March 16, 2010 @ 7:46 pm

2. Lisa Rae @ smacksy said,

She has plans, that one.
    .-= Lisa Rae @ smacksy´s last blog ..The Helper Droid =-.

| March 16, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

3. rebecca said,

You must feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off your shoulders…one piece at a time but this, pulling the tube, must have been one huge piece lifted! I’m so happy for you! Congratulations! Sadie looks amazing!
    .-= rebecca´s last blog ..Pre-Medicated =-.

| March 16, 2010 @ 7:58 pm

4. Malissa said,

That definitely has to be a relief, congrats on getting it out of there!
    .-= Malissa´s last blog ..Featured Blog – Arise To Write =-.

| March 16, 2010 @ 9:20 pm

5. Kendra said,

Congratulations! That sounds like a really huge step. I’m glad there have been no problems, and I hope she never looks back!
    .-= Kendra´s last blog ..This Evil Future Brough to You By =-.

| March 16, 2010 @ 10:23 pm

6. Aunt Becky said,

Dude. She’s so amazing and awesome and I love her. Also, I am sending her some chocolate to celebrate.
    .-= Aunt Becky´s last blog ..Fear and Loathing in Urgent Care =-.

| March 16, 2010 @ 11:00 pm

7. Amie said,

Yay!

| March 17, 2010 @ 12:10 am

8. amanda said,

Yeah Sadie! You go with your bad self.

| March 17, 2010 @ 12:14 am

9. Ellie said,

Hooray! Big milestone!

And, seriously, could she be ANY cuter?

Congrats – that’s terrific news.

-Ellie
    .-= Ellie´s last blog ..Taking the Red Line =-.

| March 17, 2010 @ 12:32 am

10. Cheryl said,

Sassy, Sassy Sadie. Sassy, Sassy Stef. You keep on moving forward….love you all. :)
    .-= Cheryl´s last blog ..Green Day =-.

| March 17, 2010 @ 1:19 am

11. Heidi said,

Well that’s just wonderful! The tube part, not the alcoholic part.
    Miss ya hon.

| March 17, 2010 @ 2:49 am

12. rita said,

yay yay yay!!! awesome!

| March 17, 2010 @ 4:41 am

13. Beth said,

Yay!!! So happy for you & Sadie!!! =)
    .-= Beth´s last blog ..My little reader… & a brief update (with VIDEO)! =) =-.

| March 17, 2010 @ 5:46 am

14. Cynthia said,

Yeah, first it’s water, soon she’ll be on to the hard stuff. Figi, Pelligrino. A little tonic water with lime.
    See, Dr. Drew was right. It’s wonderful news.
    .-= Cynthia´s last blog ..Going Au Natural =-.

| March 17, 2010 @ 1:38 pm

15. Amanda said,

Congrats! A long journey :)

| March 17, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

16. Kir said,

awesome…I love that pic of her!!! :)
    CONGRATULATIONS..what a great week this has been.

(and lately in our house we often look at each other and say things of the twins like..”Jacob is going to be a lawyer and Gio is going to need a lawyer” LOL

| March 17, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

17. Shannon Kieta said,

You go Steph… Like WTF are you hiding a PHD in doctoral shit too? I would have been scared as shit to pull that out! Were you scared? Damn mama, you are the bomb, anyone who says any different, send them my way! You go Slim, better get a new nickname, I have a feelin’ she ain’t gonna be slim for too long. How ’bout Squishy Sadie???? Yeah, I like it! Keep up the great work Steph and Jon! You all rock!
    .-= Shannon Kieta´s last blog ..I Miss You… =-.

| March 17, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

18. Kate@And Then I Was a Mom said,

Such a big, final step for all of you. Sadie is lucky to have a mom who wants so many wonderful things for her.
    .-= Kate@And Then I Was a Mom´s last blog ..Next up: Jeans with an elastic waistband. =-.

| March 18, 2010 @ 1:31 am

19. seekingclarav said,

Hooray! So happy for all of you. I hope she continues to do well and drive you bonkers. And at least you know she’s hydrated!

| March 18, 2010 @ 2:16 am

20. Daily Cup of Jo said,

Happy for you, and Sadie. That picture of her reminded me of one I have of my youngest, who used to crawl over to the paper bag we used to use for recycling. She took one of my husband’s empty beer bottles out (more than once) and tried to drink what was left. Or maybe she just liked sucking the bottle. Either way, I’m saving her a seat.
    .-= Daily Cup of Jo´s last blog ..Wednesdays with Wendy: top o’ the mornin’ to ya and marathon madness =-.

| March 18, 2010 @ 6:28 am

21. sirenna said,

Awesome!

Lot’s of little kids run “sort of”; like spiders just learning to stand on two feet. Tottery and spindly and don’t know what to do with all the their other appendages, like the head, arms and fingers so they just flail them around in the general direction of their feet.

I’m glad Sunday was good for you. Here’s (club soda toast coming your way) to a great rest of the week.

| March 18, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

22. Erin said,

Congratulations Sadie and family! Ah, what a huge relief.

| March 18, 2010 @ 4:41 pm

23. Marie said,

Congratulations!!!!!!!

| March 18, 2010 @ 11:58 pm

24. Mommy on the Spot said,

Congrats! When you see your child make progress like that, don’t you feel like a huge weight is lifted?!
    .-= Mommy on the Spot´s last blog ..*Blink* And there goes another week . . . =-.

| March 19, 2010 @ 11:52 pm

25. GingerB said,

Go Sadie! Go wild! Steph, I hope you are the type to feel progress with just plain ol’ joy, and not get stuck with the cryin’ for joy and gratefulness cryin’ jag, headachey shit, because for being so freaking pleased with my kid right now all the being happy is kicking my butt. I wish you dry eyes with your dry way of life!
    .-= GingerB´s last blog ..Cerebral Palsy Awareness Day =-.

| March 23, 2010 @ 5:28 am

26. Trish said,

WHAT A HUGE EVENT!
    I’m so excited for you guys!
    .-= Trish´s last blog ..Old Habits Die Hard =-.

| March 28, 2010 @ 4:59 am

27. Alice Smith said,

So excited to hear about Sadie’s tube! We can’t wait for that day to come for my 3-year old daughter, Olivia…(if you can’t tell, I’m a little envious!) Way to go though!!

| April 3, 2010 @ 2:32 pm