New Year’s Suggestions are Easier to Keep

My New Year’s eve was a bit underwhelming this year which was probably to be expected. Instead of making any resolutions which have always been my downfall, I decided to give myself a break and just try to offer myself some suggestions. Think of them as goals that are more easily attainable than say “do more for charity.” It’s a lot easier to meet your expectations of yourself if you take a little time and lower them. One year my goal for myself was to eat more candy. That year I totally kicked ass! It was downright empowering. Another year I decided to eat less cheese. That didn’t go quite as well but it showed me that it’s a learning process!

So here are my “suggestions” to myself for 2010. I think they are reasonable.

• Make sure I watch every episode of the Bachelor: Wings of Love -no fast forwarding through the pre-rose ceremony “contemplating the wall of photographs” boring part.
  • Stop talking crap about John Mayer unless I plan to put my money where my mouth is and stop listening to his music.
  • Refrain from buying a pair of cowboy boots no matter how fond my memories are of the pair I had in the 80’s.
  • Knock “give husband blowjob” off my to do list.
  • Fantasize about buying a Wii.
  • Eat more canned soup.
  • When Facebook alerts me that it’s someone I barely know’s birthday, take a moment to internally wish them a happy birthday.
  • Really try to take my complaining to the next level.
  • Try not to laugh outloud at people with bad fake n’ bake tans.
  • Make more meals at home from scratch. And by scratch I mean frozen in a bag from Trader Joe’s.
  • When in the mall, take the time to stop and smell the fresh baked cookies at Mrs. Field’s.
  • Keep in mind that bathing suit season is only six months away. Start working out five months and two weeks from now.
  • Attempt to be more of a sellout!

So what are your New Year’s suggestions?

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on January 4, 2010 7:59 pmUncategorized34 comments

1. Suzy Voices said,

These are so awesome!! And Trader Joe's ROCKS!

| January 4, 2010 @ 10:45 pm

2. Anne Marie said,

OMG! Those are the best! I'm chuckling as I'm commenting. And yeah, I'm more of a 'goals' vs resolutions type of gal myself.

now I just may have to steal some of your suggestions!

| January 4, 2010 @ 11:06 pm

3. Molly said,

So I read this aloud to my mommmy while we ate dinner. SHe's now officially a big fan of yours. Pretty sure it was the blow job that got her..
    also, Wings of Love, terrible title. I am SO EXCITED!

| January 4, 2010 @ 11:24 pm

4. Aunt Becky said,

My New Year's Resolution is simply: Take Over The Fucking World.

And then "hump my friend Stef."

Easy peasy, I think.

| January 4, 2010 @ 11:50 pm

5. Marinka said,

I also resolve not to give your husband any blow jobs. Unless that's not what you meant by getting it off the list.

| January 5, 2010 @ 12:16 am

6. Rebecca said,

My goals

Just be more like me only the same.

Complain when the weather is cold to anyone who will listen (It's like 8F here and I'm all what on earth! When on earth will it ever get any warmer!!)

Complain when the weather is too hot…(Check me out in July/August!)

Take more photos of my kids and upload to facebook and walgreens websites……

| January 5, 2010 @ 12:28 am

7. erin said,

I really really don't like canned soup. It's never as good as it looks on the label…or as good as I think it's going to be.

You only have to give your husband one blowjob a year? Wow. Tell me what you put in his soup. 😉

| January 5, 2010 @ 12:30 am

8. Mommy on the Spot said,

I totally agree with you on goals vs. resolutions! I think I'll join you in eating more canned soup.

| January 5, 2010 @ 12:34 am

9. melissa said,

Best set of goals I've ever seen!

| January 5, 2010 @ 1:33 am

10. Nancy C said,

Hard to top these. I also plan to mock the clothing choices of celebrities while wearing the same sweatshirt for the fourth day running.

| January 5, 2010 @ 1:37 am

11. heather... said,

Do you mean suggestions for YOU? 'Cause I got plenty of those.

| January 5, 2010 @ 1:48 am

12. Ellie said,

Love these! I'm totally digging the concept of suggestions – I tend to rebel against demands.. even ones I make of myself. Nobody tells me what to do! Not even me!

I will try to accept that buying a new calender/organizer every other week will not magically make me an organized person.

I will try to stop buying books on meditation and not reading them. And not meditating.

Maybe I'll even go cold turkey on this little problem I seem to be developing with Everlasting Gobstoppers.

| January 5, 2010 @ 3:55 am

13. seekingclarav said,

Oh my laughing. THANK YOU. I needed that.

| January 5, 2010 @ 4:51 am

14. Ani said,

Well, I have baby #3 on the way, due this summer, so my suggestion to myself would be: practice Kegels daily so I won't pee myself every time I read your blog.

| January 5, 2010 @ 5:09 am

15. Angry Julie Monday said,

My huge resolution is to stick up for myself and to not lie what I don't want to confront people. Well I'm all confrontational this week. Everyone's getting my response. And it feels good..

On other thoughts…you book is my drawer at work. Keep meaning to crack it open, and then people crash cars, shoot each other, and break into businesses and shit.

How the hell can I make a resolution to read your book with this chaos in my life?

| January 5, 2010 @ 6:30 am

16. Heather Griffith Brewer said,

I am going to attempt to stop judging people who watch The Bachelor.

| January 5, 2010 @ 7:08 am

17. Shannon said,

New Years resolutions SUCK-ASS! Maybe it's because I have yet to stick to one I have ever made since 198-something. Soooo-, this years New Year's resolution is…NOT to make a fucking Nw Year's resolution. We will see how long I stick to that one!!!!

| January 5, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

18. anita tedaldi said,

My new Year's non resolutions:

Always wear comfortable shoes and sweatpants

Get new glass frames

Let my hair go frizzy. On occasions. Mostly when I’m alone and no one can see me

Enjoy Anna’s gymnastics, Luisa’s singing, Livia’s games, Nina’s powerful hugs and Eva’s sweet words

Listen to more music – per my husband’s request

Have the girls listen to more music – also per my husband’s request

Finish my book, if I can finish it

Start the homeschooling magazine with my kids we’ve been planning on doing

Love my husband’s ‘thoroughness’

Not run away from discomfort. Perhaps walk at a fast pace in the other direction.

Try to be kind to other drivers when they cut me off

Not be consumed by the internet and by a virtual community

if I have nothing nice to say keep my big mouth shut

Call my mom and dad with Skype. No matter how badly I want to use the portable phone

Stop complaining about my carpet and do something about it

Think before spending money

Be kind to those I find difficult. OK that’s unrealistic, maybe just respectful

Forgive myself when I fail (which is almost NEVER)

Forgive others when they fail (which for some reason is all the time)

Be mindful of cleaning the toilet (my number one, most hateful gag provoking activity)

Continue eating dark chocolate

Cheers,
    Anita

| January 5, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

19. LuLu and Moxley's Mom said,

Only you (and D) might understand how bitter I am that Jake is the new bachelor. Those husband-hunting bitches better make up for his lack of charisma. Cause only some crazy broads can keep the show afloat. Oh Reid! Why not REID???

Didn't watch last night. I hope The Crazy is in full force waiting on my TIVO.

| January 5, 2010 @ 6:57 pm

20. Heidi said,

OOH I have some…

>Finally make up my mind as to who is the cuter brother on Supernatural
    >Watch all the Criminal Minds episodes
    >Stop blaming all my problems on my daughter, blame some on my son too
    >use as many sick days as I have in a pay period
    Happy New Year!

| January 6, 2010 @ 6:09 am

21. Natika said,

My resolution….3rd times a charm for staying sober! Sober date 12/20/09. One day at a time! Damn I hope I can do it this time. I am so tired of starting over!

As for the BJ, my husband gave up on those a long time ago!

| January 6, 2010 @ 6:56 am

22. Kate@And Then I Was a Mom said,

I'm aiming for more elastic waistbands.

As for the frozen meals, may I suggest the TJ's Mandarin Orange Chicken? Twenty minutes at 400 degrees–ooooh, yeah. But whatever you do, stay away from the bagged Pork al Pastor. I mean it. You've been warned.

| January 6, 2010 @ 2:57 pm

23. Angie said,

This is the best list I've seen so far.

| January 6, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

I bought the cowboy boots and wear them all the time!! Metro Atlanta is not very rural, but I get compliments on them and they are so comfortable – go for it!!
    My big one is to quit drinking – 6 days sober now and I feel great, but I understand that I will feel even better 9 months from now. One of the things I do at night when I get a bit overwhelmed is to stop, close my eyes , take inventory and say a quick word of gratitude for my son, my husband, my warm house, the tea I am drinking and anything else that pops in to my head. I don't think about it, I just give gratitude for whatever is rattling around in there. A woman I work with has agreed to sponsor me as she has been sober for 20 years. She said that her goal is not to be sober next year, it is to be sober right now. That is how I have decided to approach this and it has made a huge difference. There are a ton of right nows that we have to make it through so it takes the intimidation of "next year" away.
    Love where I am right now and I hope that you all do too!!
    ETO

| January 6, 2010 @ 4:56 pm

25. adhocmom said,

It was recently suggested to me that my resolution to quit drinking my post-dinner high ball was totally stupid. Excellent suggestion!! I have to agree!
    x
    Paula

| January 6, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

26. Miss Spoken said,

I wore bright yellow panties and ate lentils for New Year, which is supposed to bring me wealth and prosperity … so I'm going to spend 2010 moving into the HGTV Dream Home.

| January 6, 2010 @ 8:30 pm

27. Liz said,

I resolve to get a man in my life so I can GIVE some blow jobs. I'm SERIOUS. enough with the drought.
    😉

| January 6, 2010 @ 11:07 pm

28. Kendra said,

Those are terrific! I especially like the bathing suit reminder. Rather than spending the next six months worrying myself into a tither about what I'm going to do when I'm reasonably expected to bare my arms again, just relax! With some hard work, I can get all the worrying done in just a few weeks.

| January 7, 2010 @ 6:03 pm

29. Funkidivagirl said,

I like the word "suggestions" as opposed to "resolutions".

| January 7, 2010 @ 7:39 pm

30. With Love, From The Mother 'Hood said,

My New Years suggestion is that you keep writing and I get my ass in gear and follow suit.

| January 8, 2010 @ 5:59 am

31. RookieMom Whitney said,

I am laughing out loud while alone in a chic and serious cafe; therefore, your mission is accomplished.

| January 8, 2010 @ 7:38 pm

32. l'ananas said,

Good one. Added to my list: Try not to laugh outloud at people with bad fake n' bake tans.

(have you seen jersey shore? those bitches like to fight! we could get hurt doing this, geeze.)

Torture. Not added to my list: When in the mall, take the time to stop and smell the fresh baked cookies at Mrs. Field's.

| January 8, 2010 @ 8:17 pm

33. Carolyn said,

God I've missed visiting you! Can I steal some of your resolutions? Particularly the commitment to reality television (ie. The Bachelor). I will also commit to an all or nothing adventure with this season's Bachelor (despite the amount of times I chastise myself while viewing).

I'm happy to see you're still laughing:)

– Carolyn (currently: The Asthma Advocate and formerly: Carrcakes).

Happy New Year

| January 8, 2010 @ 9:28 pm

34. Canaan said,

Just started reading your blog. I’d love to say I have more depth, but the “Watching the Bachelor…” really got me hooked as a reader.

| January 13, 2010 @ 2:23 pm