Tomorrow on Today

I’d love to leave a longer post for today but I’m jumping on a plane for NY to go talk about booze and the holidays on the Today Show. I will be on between 8:00 and 8:30 am. if you’d like to watch. I suppose this means I’ll have to shower which wasn’t on my agenda for today but I’ll deal with it. That’s the trouble with being a huge celebrity: you’re forced to shower semi-regulary. I feel I owe it to my fans (otherwise known as “the little people”)

I’ll tell you something about traveling sober that you may not have thought of: you can’t drink on the plane. I know it would seem like there are different rules for air travel with regards to sobriety like it doesn’t count if you’re above a certain altitude but, turns out, it matters. Who knew?

So I’m going to be all wide awake reading magazines and obsessing about shoes.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on December 21, 2009 6:58 pmUncategorized27 comments

1. Ann said,

you rock steph. i'm sure you will be able to drum up some amazing conversations with the people on the plane that will be getting loaded. the stories you will tell. i can't wait. cheerio.

| December 21, 2009 @ 7:36 pm

2. Elizabeth said,

you should shower AND blow-dry … and a nice pinky-brown gloss would be perfect. i'll be watching. have fun. xo

| December 21, 2009 @ 8:29 pm

3. Rebecca said,

So, do you think you can say hello to your blogger mommy friends. Nothing specific but something along the lines of "Hello Becky from Missouri" would work….OR you could say "Hello Becky from the mid-west" and you'll take care of Aunt Becky and ME!!

I can't wait to see you on the Today Show!!! You'll look fabulous and sound smart! You ROCK!!

| December 21, 2009 @ 8:43 pm

4. Mad Woman said,

Have fun. I can't watch from down here in NZ but I wish you well :)

| December 21, 2009 @ 8:59 pm

Awesome, AWESOME!! Can't wait to watch!!
    xoxo, Mary

| December 21, 2009 @ 9:07 pm

6. Michelle-WhiteTrashMom said,

You're talking about booze on the today show? I love it but I have to say is it a segment about how to drink more during the holidays??? HEE HEE!

| December 21, 2009 @ 11:54 pm

7. Cheryl Lage said,

Go get 'em, Stef!
    (Could you eat chocolates at least on the flight?)

| December 22, 2009 @ 12:03 am

8. mylene said,

I turning on the TIVO! Besides mentioning us "blogger folk", how about a need for AA groups for moms, like us !! Just a thought…I'm still going to my AA mtgs, regardless.
    Give Matt & Al a big 'ole hug!

| December 22, 2009 @ 12:12 am

9. Kellee said,

Ohh, congrats! Good luck :)

| December 22, 2009 @ 2:08 am

10. beckyma said,

yay! I think you're up next! can't wait to see you! you are great! have a very merry christmas and happy new year!

| December 22, 2009 @ 1:17 pm

Loved it! Thanks for the continued encouragement over the airwaves/blogosphere. Have a very Merry, sober Christmas!

| December 22, 2009 @ 1:25 pm

just discovered your blog from seeing you on the Today show. so glad.

| December 22, 2009 @ 4:27 pm

13. Carmen said,

I saw you on Today and it was refreshing! There are so many women fighting the addiction of alcohol and hiding it. I am one of those people but hoping to kick the habit once and for all. Following your blog is going to be so helpful. I can't bring myself to go to AA meetings but the blog will be a great support tool.

| December 22, 2009 @ 4:30 pm

14. JackStarnes said,

????????080?????0401??????????????a???0401??????????????????????????????????????????????????

| December 22, 2009 @ 5:22 pm

I just saw you and felt you did an awesome job. I did feel that the dr and Anne tried to differentiate between the blackout drunk and the Alcoholic that craves everday… as a recovering alcoholic… who blacked out.. not a daily drinker – I kind of felt slighted. I am an alcoholic too, just because my withdrawal was "easier," I still crave my fave – wine! You rocked… and Thank you!

| December 22, 2009 @ 7:37 pm

16. Leslie said,

I saw the segment on the Today show…not sure, maybe I was supposed to call in sick today because I got pink eye from my daughter and see your segment. I can totally relate. I work, my husband is in his residency right now, and so most everything with the house and our 18 months old daughter falls to me. It's stressful. So I drink. But I agree with whoever said, if you have to spend so much time deciding if you have a problem- you probably do. so i probably do. will continue to follow. thanks for this space.

| December 22, 2009 @ 8:28 pm

17. Sabreena said,

So, I just watched your interview from the Today Show and you're spot on about women drinking because of anxiety and stress. I don't drink often but some of the most significant times is if we're hosting a lot of people or going somewhere unfamiliar. I have also drank once or twice after a really rough day with my boys. I am a crappy drunk and an even crapier day after drunk which helps keep my drinking in check (3-4 times per year) but you hit the main reasons for those few times. For those of you that want to see Stefanie but maybe read the blog too late to watch the show live, I found her clip at http://www.mefeedia.com/tv/26914730. Great interview.

Sabreena

| December 22, 2009 @ 10:14 pm

18. Mommy on the Spot said,

I saw you on Today, and I thought what you had to say was very interesting. Thanks for sharing your journey!

| December 23, 2009 @ 2:13 am

19. Marinka said,

I missed it, damn it. Did you recommend getting drunk around the holidays?
    congratulations on being Today regular! they should probably just relocate to California to accommodate you!

| December 23, 2009 @ 3:47 am

You did a really great job on the show today. Very inspiring!

| December 23, 2009 @ 7:08 am

21. Chicago Mom said,

You did GREAT on the Today Show and looked beautiful. How annoying is Ann Curry? She needs to shut her mouth long enough for you to get a word in!!!

You go girl… You're aweseome.

| December 23, 2009 @ 2:33 pm

22. SeattleMom said,

Stef,
    I agree with Chicago Mom, Ann didn't leave you much time to speak, but when you did, you got your two cents in. Way to go – they should have you back and let you talk this time! I'm doing well – we conversed a few weeks ago – so thank you for continued encouragement. Just got your book and looking forward to reading it. Happy Holidays to you! (fav holiday drink, weird as it is: Diet Pomegranate 7up or Diet Gingerale with Rose's lime juice..)

| December 23, 2009 @ 4:40 pm

23. Greta Koenigin said,

I hope you got drunk BEFORE you boarded the plane. You must remember this tactic. Eighth grade was not that long ago…

| December 23, 2009 @ 10:58 pm

24. Angie said,

Dang – look at you on the Today show again! You've earned it! Enjoy.

| December 24, 2009 @ 3:54 pm

I'm in for this journey as well… I had 41 sober days under my belt before giving in a little bit a couple of days ago. I had a couple of glasses of wine two nights in a row, while celebrating the holidays with family. That said, after those 2 days had passed, I got right back on the sober path as I KNOW from previous experience that moderation does not work for me. I'd like to post with some kind of "name" here other than Anonymous (as there are so many of those it gets confusing), but I have no idea how to do that without fully revealing my true identity, which I'm not willing to do. Suggestions anyone?

I also want to say that I am in absolute awe of everyone who has posted before me. What an amazing group of women. Stefanie, you have created something wonderful here. Thank you for leading the way. From your friend at the airport, aka "Rider".

| December 24, 2009 @ 4:42 pm

Rock on with your bad self.
    Merry Christmas. Won't be able to check in tomorrow so am doing so now:)

| December 25, 2009 @ 4:55 am

27. kathleen said,

Awesome on The Today Show… you should post a link… there's a video of the excerpt online for those that missed it…

| December 26, 2009 @ 5:50 pm