The Rest is Still Unwritten

Not every blog entry can be deep or have a message or inspire people to change their lives for the better of society. Every time I sit down at my keyboard I can’t just magically cure blindness or single handedly prevent a global act of terrorism or convince PBS to stop airing Caillou (God knows I’ve tried). I’m not Oprah. Plus, between Jersey Shore and Biggest Loser Where Are They Now specials, I’m pretty busy.

However.

Although I can’t always bring it, I do have these two-year-olds who seem to love the lens only slightly less than Tyra Banks. The other day Sadie was mid crying jag when Jon brought out a camera. She looked at him and still crying, tilted her face toward the camera and whimpered cheeeese. Imagine the “Tres jolie, Coco” moment in Fame -crying and performing.

And then there’s Matilda who is convinced she’s Angelina Jolie. She just has to smell a camera to start making a sexy face. You’d think we were behind the camera coaxing her, work it Mattie! Sell it Sweetheart! You own it! The camera loves you, baby! YOU’RE A STAH! (Imagine I’m an obnoxious Brit)

I give her a year before she refuses to get out of bed for less than ten thou.

The other day I was at the park with them when Mattie broke into a gallop and approached a group of friendly strangers to say hi and give them a little dance -her signature greeting. They all giggled at her and said hi back and then watched her trot back to me and Sadie. Then they all sort of got silent for minute at started to stare. At first I thought maybe I was being a little paranoid, oversensitive. But then I heard them comment to each other in what they mistakenly thought were lower tones trying to figure out if Sadie and Mattie were twins. “I don’t think so but they are definitely close in age” I heard one say. “One is so little.” I could hear them easily and I felt my face get hot. What the fuck? Were we a museum exhibit? I couldn’t understand why I was upset, maybe I figured I was getting past the obvious phase.

As I walked by, on my way out, one of the men in the group asked if they were twins and I said yes. He said “I thought so but they’re, well, so different.”

“Yeah,” I said. “One is a lot smaller.”

And then I realized I didn’t care. Because those people were only staring at the cover of the book. They’d never even read the first chapter so how could they possibly know our whole story?

Our twins were born two years ago on November 26th weighing 2lb and 4lbs. Three weeks later, Matilda came home and right before Christmas, Sadie joined her. Our little Christmas miracle.

And as Natasha Bedingfield sang over and over and over in 2005, the rest is still unwritten.

How weird is this? Natasha Bedingfield was born Nov. 26th.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on December 28, 2009 8:31 pmTwins46 comments

1. SUEB0B said,

So was my sister. It is a good birthday!

| December 29, 2009 @ 12:45 am

2. Ann said,

it is a good birthday. i was born november 26th too. your kids are sooooooo so cute. amazing eyes! they speak volumes. cheerio.

| December 29, 2009 @ 12:50 am

3. d.w. said,

Those some adorable daughters you've got there.

| December 29, 2009 @ 1:10 am

4. Cori said,

They are absolutely beautiful! I'm surprised people hesitate to ask if they are twins. People ask me all the time if my boys are twins. And they are 14 months apart.

| December 29, 2009 @ 1:11 am

5. Mary Ellen said,

My twins are now 22 yo and I STILL get"are they twins, but they don't look alike" Geesh people are ignorant One girl is blonde,5'11" and the other is brunette and 5'6". At birth they looked alike and measured inch by inch the same in chest, head and they both were 7#s on the dot and 21" in length. Not bragging in any way, just trying to show you that lord knows what they will grow into in life. Their brother (older by 2yrs) is 6'10". Yes, he is tall. No matter what, people will comment and show their ignorance or intelligence. You done good! Your children are beautiful. Or, you could freak some folks and say: no they're not, why, do they appear to be twins???

| December 29, 2009 @ 1:38 am

6. Amy said,

Oh my goodness are they ever SWEET! What gorgeous little faces.

(I love that Natasha song, overplayed or not.)

| December 29, 2009 @ 1:40 am

7. Rebecca said,

Your babies are just gorgeous! But the whole camera thing reminds me of my daughter. She was barely 3 months old when I had told countless stories about how she would just stop a crying jag every time I got out the camera…..anyway, we were at grandmas house and Don gets out his camera after she had wailed for about 5 minutes and like a light switch she stopped screaming and started cooing. The whole room erupted in laughter. She's still that way sometimes and she's almost 5.

Love your stories, keep telling them!

| December 29, 2009 @ 1:52 am

8. Kiki said,

amazing pictures. jersey shore takes up most of my time. especially since i watch the reruns during the day, too. your girls are gorgeous. take care.

| December 29, 2009 @ 2:50 am

9. Aunt Becky said,

They don't look different in size to me at all right now. But I'm not very smart, and SORRY but we're coming out for a certain BABY SHOWER in a couple weeks so HIDE THE BABIES because THE DAVER and I are coming to find you.

Also, they're cute as hell.

| December 29, 2009 @ 2:54 am

10. Molly said,

It's part of who they are. I'm 21 and I look about 16. People think my 17 year old brother is older than I am. The older they get the less people will comment. Except they are gorgeous, so people will probably always comment. hehe. Seriously, do you have a trick for making such cute babies?

| December 29, 2009 @ 3:34 am

11. kymmi said,

Holy crap they're PERFECT. I adore these girls, they're both so … right looking. The features, the stance, it's all right.

Here's to Maddie and Sadie – who will be what they will be. Cheers to that.

| December 29, 2009 @ 3:54 am

12. Anne Marie said,

omg, so cute. And…this post is inspiring…b/c you're making me remember how important it is to keep taking pics of the lil' things in life that my own twins do. It's a definite goal for me for 2010!
    So go on w/your bad self and the inspiration!

| December 29, 2009 @ 4:23 am

13. Leigh said,

You are a bigger person than I am… or maybe I still need to get to the place you're at.

my twins' weights differ by about 5 pounds and the latest rude comment I got was, "what's wrong with your baby? She looks sick". I had to physically restrain my hubby from hitting the woman LOL

| December 29, 2009 @ 7:15 am

14. heather... said,

I'm a twin too. And people used to ask all the time if we were, and then they'd say, "but you don't look alike!"

I wonder if his penis and my vagina were the first clues.

| December 29, 2009 @ 7:18 am

15. Lynn from For Love or Funny said,

What beautiful girls! I love their hair!!

| December 29, 2009 @ 11:50 am

lovely girls

| December 29, 2009 @ 2:09 pm

17. MereCat said,

They are both very, very beautiful. All three of your children are perfect in my eyes. It's been quite the journey, tho! People always ask if mine are twins because my son is bigger than my daughter. They also ask me if they are identical. People are morons.

| December 29, 2009 @ 2:19 pm

There are beautiful DARLING…..

| December 29, 2009 @ 2:42 pm

19. KAM said,

The girls are so cute! My Mea always pulls out a smile for the camera, even mid-tantrum, to give a cheesey grin, and a "Cheeseburger!" Little divas.

| December 29, 2009 @ 2:48 pm

20. Anjanette said,

I have fraternal twins and one is definitely bigger than the other. I get the twins question all the time. I know people are just curious but I am so tempted to say no and make up something weird… Your girls are gorgeous!

| December 29, 2009 @ 3:15 pm

21. Judith said,

Well, they are adorable for any size!

| December 29, 2009 @ 4:29 pm

22. Habbala said,

The most BEAUTIFUL twins I have ever seen, and that's before knowing their story. You're daughters are amazing!

| December 29, 2009 @ 5:33 pm

23. Nancy Campbell said,

Gorgeous girls. When I took my little guy home from the NICU, I think I felt even more joy than the day he was born. Because, finally, finally, he was in my arms—for good.

| December 29, 2009 @ 7:19 pm

24. GingerB said,

I overhear comments about my girls' size, and I overhear comments about how pale my girls are and how you can see their veins. A friend suggested I turn to the commenters and let them know that really pale people also have really wonderful hearing. Stupid fuckwits.

Your girls are lovely and I'd kind of like to pet them. You don't mind, right?

| December 29, 2009 @ 8:01 pm

Merecat: Ok – the rude comments are unacceptable but since when are people "morons" because they ask what they believe to be innocent questions about your kids? Do you all really take yourselves (and your offspring) that freaking seriously??? I mean, c'mon… sometimes people are trying to be nice and make small talk. Or maybe they themselves are considering having kids and know nothing about it? And this goes for a number of you – why do you automatically assume the worst of people? It's a little revolting, to be quite frank.

| December 29, 2009 @ 8:08 pm

26. Kellee said,

They are both (and all three) beautiful. And hey anonymous… chill the fuck out, eh?

| December 29, 2009 @ 10:25 pm

kellee – exactly what I'm saying…

| December 29, 2009 @ 10:43 pm

28. mylene said,

I have Frat twin girls & a son 23 months older. He's "smaller framed" like his dad, so it looks like they're Triplets! We HAVE 'worked it' for better service- anywhwere (it works)!

| December 30, 2009 @ 1:33 am

29. LuLu and Moxley's Mom said,

Anon at 12:08 attacking MereCat:

The psychological definition of "moron" is: a person of borderline intelligence.

I would say someone who asks if a boy and girl are identical twins is of borderline intelligence.

On a more pleasant note: Stefanie, all of your girls are beautiful and I bet their personalities are adorable too.

| December 30, 2009 @ 2:25 am

30. geekymummy said,

Your kids are gorgeous. People ask if my 4 yr old and 2yr old are twins, and I'm sure I've said some moronic questions myself in an attempt to be chatty while deprived of sleep. It happens to the best of us!

| December 30, 2009 @ 6:03 am

31. Shannon said,

And what you ALWAYS fail to write dear Steph, is those girls are big and healthy because of YOU! You took care of them and nursered them. You are the bomb. Give yourself a little more credit than you do, you are a kick-ass mom. Van or no van! hehee! You still have that shaggin wagon? Luv ya!

| December 30, 2009 @ 11:29 am

Lulu and Moxley – thanks for providing the definition of "moron" for me but actually I was addressing my shock at the general tone of negativity and hostility that were present in these comments. It seems that some of us parents tend to take ourselves way too seriously. That's all.

Still love the postings, though.

| December 30, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

33. Debby said,

Totally loving your blog! I think you may enjoy mine as it's about a mom and three kids. Well, mine are grown and we're writing this blog together in anticipation of a parenting book we hope to write later this year. Please check us out at http://raisingamazingdaughters.wordpress.com and if you like it (I saw this sign in a restaurant yesterday and am adopting it as my very own), please tell everyone you know. If you don't like it, please tell us why. Thanks. Happy New Year! Debby

| December 30, 2009 @ 4:21 pm

34. Amy said,

Just found your blog via Uppercase Woman – I started with the drinking archives and I'm hooked and will now be forced to read your entire archive from the beginning so that's me you'll see lurking up in here. Very pithy!

| December 30, 2009 @ 9:04 pm

35. Kendra said,

What beautiful girls. And we share a birthday! I didn't realize, or I would already have liked them even more!

I'm still trying to come to terms with all kinds of things about myself. I'm totally not ready to "let go and live with it" with my kids. So I applaud you being way more evolved than me!

| December 30, 2009 @ 11:48 pm

36. Terry Hooter said,

Like Frank Zappa said:
    "People is dumb all over."

My son was born with a pretty severe case of torticollis (his head hung on one shoulder)and people would just blurt out things like:
    "What happened to your baby?" or "Why is his head like that?"

That always seemed a bit much from strangers in the grocery store, but eh, some folks just don't have a very good filter between brain and mouth. The best was when people would comment about his dark hair and complexion in a pitying tone:
    "Oh well, at least he won't need sunscreen." one woman told me. For real, she said that. I suppose that was the polite version of :
    "OHMYGODTHEJEWSAREMOVINGINTORURAL NEBRASKAOHMYGODLOOKHOWDARKTHEYARE!" But you know, that isn't considered polite to actually utter it.

Listen, you have three of the most magnificent children ever. EVER. OK? Of course you're going to take it personally when people say things about them-you're their mother.

Terry

| December 31, 2009 @ 1:54 am

37. Lisa said,

Man, I LOVE Calliou! Well, compared to Barney.

Adorable pictures.

| December 31, 2009 @ 4:39 am

38. phd in yogurtry said,

Bringing back many memories. I've got twin girls too, frat. One is now 4 inches taller than the other and people ask, "they can't be twins? they don't look alike!" duh

The toddler years are far behind us. Pre-teen shenanigans now. Oh, what a ride.

| December 31, 2009 @ 8:02 am

39. Piccinigirl said,

just those pictures would have been enough for me today, MY GAWD they are gorgeous.

Unwritten for sure..isn't it all unwritten ..for all of us? And in some ways that's what makes it amazing.

my kiddos are totally different, Jacob is smaller than Gio (Gio has a melon head and Jacob a grape..etc) and we get "are they twins?" all the time..but I ignore it, say YES and smile…they are MY TWINS…and MY heart and who gives a SH*T what anyone else thinks..right? (I think you're rubbing off on me. )

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

| December 31, 2009 @ 3:48 pm

40. Surcie said,

You deserve a standing ovation. For the Caillou line alone.

| December 31, 2009 @ 4:44 pm

Mattie could introduce herself and her sister by saying: "This is me and my mini me."

| December 31, 2009 @ 4:48 pm

42. BabyShrink said,

Looking good, girls! Have a wonderful 2010, too. Thinking of you with much aloha!!

| January 1, 2010 @ 3:54 am

43. Laurie said,

I have 6-month old identical twins and one is much bigger than the other. People confront me all the time about whether or not they are twins, and then, whether or not they are identical. It's nauseating how obnoxious strangers can be.

Your daughters are gorgeous, BTW!

| January 1, 2010 @ 6:03 am

44. Names of Allah said,

oh my god what a cute babies.. they are so cute and handsome. i love them all. thanks for sharing these pictures with us.

| January 1, 2010 @ 7:17 am

45. Keltie said,

Your babies are gorgeous!

| January 1, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

Sounds like you are well on your way to accepting that the twins are so different. Those little girls self identification are dependent on their parents- you must show them that whatever size, whatever their differences they are absolutely the most wonderful beings.

And well, they are.