Lucky

Not to be all mushy but sometimes I am overwhelmed by the enormity that is how much I love my family. It’s a pretty corny thing that one doesn’t often share with anyone but other people who also can’t get over how ridiculously fun it is to raise little human beings. Normally, I like to bitch about things. I feel that not only is complaining my God given right but it’s also compelling and hilarious if done well. People who have problems but suck ’em up and say “can’t complain” are boring if you ask me. Can’t complain? Yes you can! Open your mouth! Try harder. Take a class. On the other hand, people who brag about how great their lives are are tedious and not well mannered in my opinion. No one gives a shit that you own a Coach bag, is all I’m saying.

But sometimes we all have to sling a little love around.

Up until I met my husband, I wasn’t sure if I’d ever get married. I think I wanted to but I just didn’t really see any guy wanting to spend the rest of his life with me – or even the next three months for that matter or I with them, really. I definitely wanted a partner in life, but I knew it had to be someone incredibly smart, incredibly funny and yet compassionate and sweet. In case you’ve never met a man before, that’s an almost impossible standard. Most hilarious guys are also assholes with bad tempers and low self esteem -Dice Clay anyone? Then I met Jon. He does smack me around a little but only when I tell him I love the show Million Dollar Listing. Sometimes you have to pop someone in the mouth in the name of of good taste. He does it because he cares.

After I coaxed Jon into marrying me (you can read a lot more about that in my book – but it involved copious amounts of wine, yelling and numerous veiled threats)I wasn’t sure I wanted a kid, let alone three and yet, right after getting married I got knocked up. Then after we tentatively decided to try for a second, I ended up with three. Was I horrified and stressed? Yes. Did I develop a candy and alcohol addiction? Mmm hmm. Did I bitch about it endlessly? Absolutely. It’s my job. And I’m good at it.

But.

When Matilda stumbles over to me, snakes her arms around my neck and mumbles I love you in her toddler speak, I faint a little bit.

A somber look from Sadie followed by the word “EAT” is enough to make me practically swallow my tongue with glee.

Elby. In our bed. Curled up in “The Daddy Spot.” Heart attack of happiness.

Jon, laying on the couch in his Lucky Jeans and blue t-shirt, trying to stay awake for all of Dr. Drew’s Sex Addiction so we can talk about it. Heaven.

Do I know how lucky I am? Hellz yes.
By the way, this picture was taken by my BFF, my Kizzle, Dee Dee, Diana, Whore, at Bella G Photography. She’s one of the many reasons besides my family I feel lucky. Actually, she is my family. Check out her website because she’s going to be blowing up huge (no Diana, I’m not talking about your ass). If you live in LA and want to have pictures taken, contact her. She’s uber talented.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on November 9, 2009 10:39 pmUncategorized28 comments

1. amy turn sharp of doobleh-vay said,

cute! I was reading a mag and saw a piece about you. yr so awesome girl. you made me spin faster and faster on my stationary bike. you did. xoxo

| November 10, 2009 @ 12:51 am

2. Stillie said,

Blessing-counting is a very good hobby to have. You do have many reasons to be thankful, happy, and to feel lucky.

| November 10, 2009 @ 1:45 am

Your girls are gorgeous and I love your blog. I'm a new mom of twins and one was also IUGR… so I had to read all the way back… you're amazing and I am inspired. :) xo

| November 10, 2009 @ 1:54 am

4. Caroline said,

Very sweet post about the love you feel for your family, and the recognition you have for how lucky you really are.

| November 10, 2009 @ 2:12 am

5. Rebecca said,

I am so completely jealous that you live in LA. You have nice weather year around and you have the BEACH. Can you take your kids to the beach and take tons of photos and post them because I live vicariously through this blog sometimes.

On yeah, I'm also jealous that you get to go to Pampered Chef parties and brush elbows with celebrities! How many celebrities do you know? Don't answer that, I'd be even more jealous.

Oh well…….I love this blog and your writing…by the way, when is your new book coming out???

| November 10, 2009 @ 2:32 am

6. Kyddryn said,

You know, sugar, considering the hell that you've struggled with, I think it's a fine thing that you can recognize and appreciate the good stuff.

When the Evil Genius was a baby and would snuggle into me after a crying fit, happy to be in my arms, doing that little baby stutter-breath and slowly, slowly relaxing…that was good stuff. Now, when he hurtles into my arms or lap, peppers me with staccato kisses and runs off again…that's the good stuff. Hurrah for the good stuff!

Shade and Sweetwater,
    K

| November 10, 2009 @ 5:05 am

7. Beth said,

Of course I loved this post. So sweet and yet not sappy… just perfect. Esp. loved the line about the Coach purses — SO true!!! Your family is GORGEOUS… complete with an adorable husband, too! Is it just me or is Elby a complete mini-me of you?!? Beautiful! =)

| November 10, 2009 @ 6:13 am

8. Lynn from For Love or Funny said,

I can totally relate to your post. I can't believe how I ever got so lucky to have my little family.

| November 10, 2009 @ 1:15 pm

9. Shannon said,

A few more reasons to feel lucky…
    1. Your daughter has more hair than mine does! Waaahhah!:(
    2. Your house looks cleaner than mine, and I only have 2 kids…(bitch!)
    3. Your husband is HOT! Say we start a "My husband is sexier club" and take the preceeds and go to Bora-Bora! Whaddya say? Yeah? Let me know!
    Shannon

| November 10, 2009 @ 1:25 pm

Stefanie,
    I have searched and searched for the a clip of your Dr. Oz interview. I have googled, you tubed, etc. and I can't find it. Help!

| November 10, 2009 @ 2:17 pm

11. Gemini-Girl said,

Beautiful family! We sometimes just need to step back and appreciate what we have. I know I need to.

| November 10, 2009 @ 2:44 pm

12. Tracy said,

Your family is dreamy. But I guess you know that already.

Thank you. You have inspired me to cut back on the sauce and so far, it's been a major improvement in my life.

| November 10, 2009 @ 3:28 pm

13. foleybf said,

I loved how you described the joys of your family in this post. I think sometimes we don't get to always choose the path we take in life..and get surprised, but to realize the joy in it is special…and I think it's great you see that!

| November 10, 2009 @ 3:34 pm

14. Aunt Becky said,

I'm pretty sure you cloned your kids. That's not cool.

| November 10, 2009 @ 5:53 pm

15. LazyBones said,

As my dad used to say with a grin: Good for you! I really liked today's post.

| November 10, 2009 @ 9:07 pm

16. JennieB said,

Great post. A little perspective is a good thing.

BTW, I so want to teach a class on complaining.

| November 11, 2009 @ 12:56 am

17. Cheryl Lage said,

Appreciation is a good and joyous thing. :) Good (especially the twin-potent) men are particularly my faves. (Amused that your post today is mushy (my norm), and mine is not.) Oh the duality of twin parenthood. And dear Got in Himmel, could Elby BE anymore a wee you?

(Hey are you BlogHer-ing next year? EMail me…)

| November 11, 2009 @ 1:33 am

18. Sweet Jane said,

oh man I can't believe you made my cry with that mushy sappiness at 5:42 in the morning. I kinda fainted with your line about fainting. It was a heart flutter actually. Counting my blessings too, freakin' lucky to know you girl.

| November 11, 2009 @ 1:44 pm

19. S said,

A beautiful post! I love your girls' names too. But I've never heard of Elby before. Where'd it come from?

| November 11, 2009 @ 3:28 pm

20. Mommy on the Spot said,

That was beautiful! Sarcasm is good, but so is slinging some love around. Gratitude is a good thing to have.

| November 11, 2009 @ 7:21 pm

21. GingerB said,

Ahh, how sweet! Like you I have titled a blog post the same way, because indeed I am lucky. Yes, one baby was IUGR and remains small, and the other has other health issues, but the light in their eyes when we are together? Makes everything right. Good on you for paying attention to happiness!

| November 12, 2009 @ 10:37 pm

22. Alyssa said,

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I am a very big fan and supporter. keep taking it one day at a time and doing the next right thing! I adore your writing and you are a great inspiration to me.

| November 13, 2009 @ 9:04 am

23. 6512 and growing said,

complaining is entertaining but gratitude is medicine.

| November 13, 2009 @ 8:09 pm

24. Confessions of a Mother, Lawyer & Crazy Woman said,

First time reader … lovely family!

| November 16, 2009 @ 6:12 pm

25. jennifer said,

thanks so much for this post. i, too, am soooo grateful and i need to remember to express it to the people i love the most, no matter how tired, overwhelmed, or uninspired i feel.
    it's so easy for me to complain and focus on the negative, and when i am in that place, i miss all the joy in my life. no matter how challenging things feel, i am now making a commitment to express joy and gratitude more often!

| November 17, 2009 @ 5:54 am

26. Kendra said,

Being lucky enough to have all that is a pretty amazing thing. Knowing it is even better. I was just talking to the kids yesterday about what "Thanksgiving" means. What a great reminder of all I have to be thankful for!

| November 17, 2009 @ 2:35 pm

27. Cee said,

I'm single and childless and I constantly think I will never find someone crazy enough to put up with me for a lifetime. Thanks for the inspiration.

| November 18, 2009 @ 10:16 pm

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

| November 21, 2009 @ 3:18 pm