I Feel Like I Got Hit By a Bus

I’ve been remiss on updating my blog. I don’t know how that happens but days bleed into a week and weeks bleen into…well…a week and a half. You get the picture. I’m busy is what I’m saying. I’ve got a lot going on. For instance, on Friday I was hit by a bus. Ironically, I was on my way to see my shrink to tell him that I was over the idea of trying to get off my last 25 mg. of Zoloft. As someone really smart commented on my blog, “Why?” Why indeed. No real reason and so, I decided not to brave the side effects and remain on my piddly dose.

So I pulled up to the curb, turned off the ignitian, and opened my door arms length so I could grab my purse and get out when out of nowhere a MTA bus zipped by and basically removed my door from the frame of the car. Needless to say it scared the shit out of me and I sat there basically stunned for a few minutes thinking, “I have a feeling I’m still going to get charged for my appointment.” The bus pulled over and passengers piled out onto the sidewalk either totally pissed off that they were missing their destination or excited that they’d just been involved in a collision.

I stumbled around on the sidewalk for a few minutes and halfheartedly picked up my Barenaked Ladies CD from a few yards down the block plus an Alligator Rocks CD which had flown out of the case and was scratched beyond recognition.

A half hour later, there were three cop cars, a bus superintendant and the driver of the bus assessing the situation. One of the officers asked me if I was hurt and I told him “Just my psyche.”

“Your psyche?” he asked. “What’s that?” Really? I’m guessing there’s no vocabulary portion on the LAPD written exam. Then I tried to say “Please don’t give me a breathalyzer” under my breath a few times to see if I would get a laugh, which I did not. I know, that’s crazy right? Police officers not having a sense of humor? Next you’re going to tell me the clerks at the DMV don’t like to laugh, right? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

After all this, I had to get my car towed, call my insurance company, arrange a pick up from school for my daughter and reschedule my shrink appointment.

Oh life.

By the way, Heather and Mike Spohr happened to drive by in the middle of all this. They can vouche for all this craziness.

Tomorrow I will blog about being 6 months sober! And hopefully provide a photo of my minivan.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on November 24, 2009 12:37 amUncategorized35 comments

I was getting worried about you… thought maybe you fell off the wagon and hurt yourself.

| November 24, 2009 @ 2:25 am

2. paddycake1998 said,

Hang in there sweetie! Life on life's terms is such fun:) I'm so happy to hear your celebrating 6 mo. sober. Way to go! I'm a Mom of a 10 & 8 yr olod and am 2.5 yrs sober and grateful for every moment and experience no matter how crazy or stressful. I too have thought about going off my 10 mg Lexapro and again "Why" is exactly what my Dr. says. Staying sober and learing to live w/out alcohol is my main focus and I'm not going to rock that boat for ANYTHING. Love your blog :)

| November 24, 2009 @ 2:50 am

3. Erin B. said,

Yikes, what an ordeal! I'm a new reader of your blog and just wanted to tell you that "Sippy Cups" really helped me get through my first few months as a (terrified) new mom. Congratulations on your 6 months, that takes an enormous amount of strength and you should be very proud of yourself!!

| November 24, 2009 @ 3:20 am

4. edenland said,

Wow. Six months. I'm nine years … but when I see people in their first year I think, man, that is miraculous.

Well done. It's huge.

And I think there is something about your door getting ripped off that proves you are on the right track. I don't know why, it just does.

| November 24, 2009 @ 3:53 am

5. jennifer said,

Good God woman!!!! So glad you are ok…right after I got sober, my car was hit by an 18-wheeler truck and totaled. No joke.
    6 months is amazing! You rock, mamcita!

| November 24, 2009 @ 4:10 am

6. Marinka said,

What, are there five people living in California and the Spohrs stop by for a cameo? I'm glad that you're ok. Despite the humorless LAPD.

| November 24, 2009 @ 4:23 am

7. Petunia Face said,

Jeez Louise–how many times in life can you say you got hit by a bus and mean it? (Plus live to actually say it.) MTA should totally pay for that appointment, plus all future appts, plus meds, plus maybe a new pair of jeans. In case you pooped yours (as I would have).

Congrats on 6 months!!!

| November 24, 2009 @ 4:31 am

8. merlotmom said,

If it makes you feel ANY better, that very same thing happened to a friend of mine…only it wasn't a bus…it was another car…but I'm thinking that still counts, only makes yours sound better.

I'm glad you're okay and it's a DAMN good thing you DIDN'T go off your meds. (I would have said the very same thing as the other commenter.)

And the odds of the Spohrs driving by…now that is just TOO much. CRAZY.

And the fact that you did not have a drink after that …KUDOS.

| November 24, 2009 @ 4:36 am

9. Caroline said,

Yikes . . . but I agree with paddycake . . . it's the moments like this that you get through sober that make sobriety REALLY awesome!

| November 24, 2009 @ 4:36 am

10. Aunt Becky said,

Dude. That's kind of crazy. Also, where is the You Tube video?

| November 24, 2009 @ 4:43 am

11. Chris Mancini said,

That sucks but I'm glad you weren't hurt. Also, you said in 30 minutes the police and bus supervisor was there. What about TMZ?

| November 24, 2009 @ 6:02 am

12. Lisa Page Rosenberg said,

Congratulations on your six months… and your new door.

| November 24, 2009 @ 7:34 am

13. Lynn from For Love or Funny said,

I've never met anyone who was REALLY hit by a bus. Luckily, since you were sober, you'll be able to recount the story to your great grandchildren in hysterical detail.

| November 24, 2009 @ 10:37 am

14. Momfever said,

Wow, that sounds scary! Good to hear you were unharmed, and retained your sense of humor, even though the policemen did not.

| November 24, 2009 @ 11:37 am

15. MetroDad said,

Holy crap! Glad to hear you're alright. Sounds like a harrowing experience.

| November 24, 2009 @ 12:22 pm

16. Shannon said,

Aww Steph, I thought you were on vacation in Bora Bora sans kids. Oh well, at least it was the door that got jarred away and NOT you! That's a blessing. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have Baby on Bored to read every so often. Congrats on your sobriety! I am a proud mama!!!! U GO GIRL!!!! Shannon

| November 24, 2009 @ 12:55 pm

17. Angie said,

The positive here is since you went to reach for your bag it was your door and not you that the bus hit. Very good thing! No cops don't tend to have a sense of humor while on duty. They should in some cases. Glad you are fine and congrats on 6 months sober

| November 24, 2009 @ 1:57 pm

18. LuLu and Moxley's Mom said,

Glad you're okay! Incidentally, can you get some money from the city out of this? I'm litigious so that's my first inclination upon hearing this story. In the future, never say you're okay! Correct response: "Well, my neck feels a little sore…"

| November 24, 2009 @ 2:12 pm

19. little t from montreal said,

Glad to hear only the door got ripped off. And you were safe in your seat.
    6 mths sober is awesome…
    Take care

| November 24, 2009 @ 6:12 pm

20. Mommy on the Spot said,

ykies! That's nuts! Thank goodness you weren't physically hurt. can't wait to read tomorrow's post.

| November 24, 2009 @ 6:26 pm

21. Rebecca said,

So, it's funny that you mention the DMV. Today, guess where I went??? You betcha! The D-M-V Baby!!

I was all perky and in a good mood so when it was FINALLY my turn, I looked the lady in the eye and smiled really big and said "Hello! How are you?".

That ho bag didn't even answer me. Just said what do you need? I told her about how I moved over the summer and needed to change the address on my drivers license.

When she finished up I smiled really big and said "Thank You!". She stared at the wall and said "Next!"

Ho-Bag!

| November 24, 2009 @ 9:42 pm

22. Jean said,

Thank God you are okay! And congratulations on six months of sobriety!

| November 24, 2009 @ 11:26 pm

23. The Other Elle said,

Dang, woman! When you do things, you do 'em with flair!

Congratulations on the six months — it's a huge number of one-day-at-a-time steps. I hope you can feel us walking next to and behind you, arms outstretched to pat you on the back, to hold you up — or just hold you if you need it. Never feel that our silent support is uncaring disregard!

OK, back to lurking…

| November 25, 2009 @ 3:29 am

24. 6512 and growing said,

You are a very, very lucky woman, sounds like.

Must have been some sort of test, and still sober? You rock!

| November 25, 2009 @ 3:47 am

25. heather... said,

It's a damn good argument for Valet Parking.

It was pretty sad to see the van all demolished. But it was pretty awesome to see your face when Mike and I drove by. Also, your hair was looking super-fierce for someone who just went to the gym!

| November 25, 2009 @ 6:22 am

26. Ry Sal said,

Oh Life is right!

| November 25, 2009 @ 4:22 pm

27. Piccinigirl said,

dear God woman!! I am so glad you're ok. I'm shaking a little just reading this and realizing you could have been really hurt.

6 months, HIGH FIVE!

| November 25, 2009 @ 8:06 pm

28. KAM said,

Wow, glad you are okay! We have had so many bus/people accidents in our city over the last year it's crazy! Now buses are required to honk as they come to intersections, can only make right hand turns when downtown, and the buses all have a horn that sounds automatically as they turn any corner, and a whole bunch of other safety measures.

Then there was another accident last week. Where in the hell are they getting these drivers? So glad you are okay…have a happy turkey day!

| November 25, 2009 @ 9:10 pm

29. The Lady's Lounge said,

Happy you hadn't stepped out.
    Happy no kids were in the car.
    Happy for all other obvious reasons.
    Happy you didn't run to the shrink to triple the dose after all that! Phew!

But police without a sense of humor? What's that about?
    I got a call recently because my angelic daughter said "wassup" to an officer who was hellbent on proving that she had actually called her Salope, which in french means slut.

That was a fun conversation. "but my daughter would never…"

| November 26, 2009 @ 12:55 am

30. GingerB said,

I spent all of grad school carrying on "bus insurance" which was health insurance that might cover you if you got hit by a bus. If you had bus insurance you could use it!! I can't believe you got hit by a bus that way. I once had a bicyclist take my door off in similar fashion. Whew!

So, so very proud of you for your sobriety, but even more, I am delighted that you are filled with joy for the experience! That is indeed a tale you must tell us.

| November 26, 2009 @ 4:16 pm

31. Kendra said,

Wow, I would have been sitting there thinking how close I had come to losing an arm. So glad you're okay!

| November 26, 2009 @ 5:50 pm

32. Heather said,

Wow… that sucks. Glad to hear you were not injured. Congrats on the six months of sobriety!!

| November 27, 2009 @ 8:04 pm

Glad you are okay. You sure manage to have crummy stuff happen in your life.

| November 28, 2009 @ 1:21 am

34. CaraBee said,

That's crazy!

A friend of mine was in a MINOR fender bender with a city bus. When the bus pulled over, every single passenger got off and started complaining of neck and back pain. To a man. Just wait for the law suits to begin.

| November 29, 2009 @ 2:57 am