Tiny Ladies Wear Cuter Clothes

A few days ago I was wandering the cosmetics section of my local CVS-I’m not bragging, just stating facts here, and I spotting an Asian woman who looked to be maybe 4′ 11″. Now, I’m not positive she was that short because I was too chicken to ask even though I really really wanted to know. I’m slightly obsessed with short people’s heights because there’s a good chance a full sized Sadie will only be 4’10or 4′ 11″ and I want to get a good picture of what that looks like. If it looks like that Asian woman it will be down right adorable. But then again, maybe the random short Asian woman was actually 5′ “, in which case Sadie would be pretty darned small. I wish I could’ve found out how tall she was but there’s just no way to ask someone for their height without seeming like a full on lunatic. You really have to divulge the back story and then you’d come off as even more crazy and rightfully so.
I’ve learned to keep my obsession to myself lest I end up in any verbal altercations or fist fights. Or more verbal altercations than usual.

I never really considered short people that much before I realized I might have one in my future. Sure, I love Randy Newman’s song Short People and can’t help but giggle when I hear it on the radio ever four years or so, but other than that, the topic rarely came up. Now, I notice short people all the time. Sort of like how years ago my husband, who was my boyfriend at the time, told me that an ex-girlfriend of his didn’t know what the word “sherpa” meant. I had no idea what it meant either and while I was mortified that maybe I was a complete dumbass I was also sort of pissed off that he was inadvertantly making me feel like a dumbass. So, in a rare humble moment, instead of calling him an asshole and wiping my hands of the whole sordid affair, I just admitted I didn’t know what a sherpa was either and Jon kindly explained it to me. Of course, immediately after that, it seemed like I heard the word sherpa a million times a day and if someone were to tell me they’d never heard the word now, I’d think they were lying…or a dumbass (but I’d never say it to your face. So, my point is, maybe there are tiny 4′ 11″ ladies waltzing around the city on a constant basis and I’ve just been oblivious to it.

I’m wondering now if Sadie will have any special challenges in life besides finding a pair of jeans that don’t drag on the ground or I guess finding a good tailor. Will she get teased for being short? Does anyone tease for that? I’ve never teased anyone for being short but then I very busy getting teased for having a big butt and a funny walk and not knowing the definition of a sherpa.

The excellent news is that Sadie eats like a teeny tiny wrestler now. She’s been off the periactin for a few weeks (yes, Patricia. Sorry I didn’t update you sooner)and is still sniffing around for her next meal like a true Taylor. She isn’t gaining weight but she definitely isn’t losing and that’s pretty normal for an almost two-year-old. She’s got plenty of time to merely smell food and go up a pants size when she’s forty-three (hi perimenopause- I’ve been expecting you). Her little g-tube button has been sitting on her tummy lonely and unused for months. I want to take it out but the husband, doctor and nutritionist (the lovely Patricia) say that we should keep it in through flu season which I know intellectually is the right move but bloody hell I want to yank it out so bad! Of course I have the patience of a toddler so I’m always going to want things right now.

If the worst thing she has to deal with is people calling her Half Pint, she’s going to be waaaay ahead of the game. But that’s not going to stop me from checking out short people.

LaDainian Tomlinson and Uncle Mikey trick or treating.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on November 6, 2009 10:39 pmperiactin,Sadie56 comments

1. jadine said,

Howdy. I'm 5'1" and I used to get teased for being short — like, people resting their elbows on top of my head. The inconveniences are like: asking strangers to reach the cereal from the store shelf, and ALWAYS getting bonked in the nose by people's elbows and backpacks in public/while waiting in lines, etc. My grandmother was 4'9", so I guess 5'1" isn't so bad :)

| November 6, 2009 @ 11:40 pm

Just wanted to let you know I think Sadie is so adorable…. When she gets alittle older I would just remind her even though she might be short if everyone was the same height it would be soo… boring. That's what makes it such a great world everyone is alittle different. It nice to be different and unique.

| November 7, 2009 @ 12:09 am

3. Laural Dawn said,

I'm 5'2, and my best friend is 4'11. Really, I just embrace it. There are far worse things. One of my friends is exactly a foot taller than me, and that to me would be far worse!

| November 7, 2009 @ 12:17 am

4. Kim said,

Can you update with how tall she is and exactly how old she is? Just for the sake of comparing my own short kid!

| November 7, 2009 @ 12:22 am

5. Aunt Becky said,

I got called "Stumpy" by my older brother for being short for, uh, 25 years? (I'm 29)

I'm 5'5"

I think he was just trying to give me a complex.

Also, I've never noticed if someone was short, like, ever.

| November 7, 2009 @ 12:23 am

6. With Love, From The Mother 'Hood said,

She is so cute and I totally get the things you are thinking about. My son has autism (and everyday I think "will he be "x" (insert a million questions here) when he grows up?") and I can spot it in other kids a mile away, and would often like to approach their moms to ask, "so your kid has autism?", but imagine the brawl that would ensue if mama is in denial or if her kid is just a crazy brat. Even though I'm new, love your blog. Still need to find time to buy your books, let alone read them – keep sharing – you inspire.

| November 7, 2009 @ 12:44 am

7. Angie said,

How do you know she will be short?

Anyway, my aunt Mary was 5'0 her whole life….until she started doing YOGA!!! she stretched out a couple inches and is now a yoga teacher. Seriously.

I'm so glad she is eating like a champ. Way to go, mommy.

Plus, short girls get to wear really tall shoes and no one judges!!

| November 7, 2009 @ 12:50 am

8. kids4sale said,

I was always the shortest kid in the class–always. But at 5'2", I was rarely, if ever, teased for my height. My hair…well, that's different story. "Brillo" was a favorite.

| November 7, 2009 @ 12:52 am

9. JennieB said,

I'm 4'10 and it has been fine. My dad joked that when I was pregnant I was 5 feet in tall and 5' wide, but I just thanked him for the extra 2 inches! The biggest annoyance is that I can never reach the top cabinets in my kitchen so I'm always getting out the stepstool. And I spend a lot at the tailor. But the best thing is that I have small feet and most shoes are really cute in a size 5!

| November 7, 2009 @ 12:56 am

10. Anna Marie said,

I am thrilled that Sadie is doing so well eating by mouth and I wouldn't think twice about her height. Yay for Sadie!

| November 7, 2009 @ 1:02 am

11. BabyonBored said,

Hi Kim, Sadie is 30 inches tall and will be 2 on the 26th of this month. She weighs 20 lbs.

| November 7, 2009 @ 1:03 am

12. AKD said,

Around 5'2" here. You get teased a little bit when you're younger, but I think it's more of an affectionate teasing than anything else. I think the really tall girls actually got teased more than us tiny girls, just because it's "feminine" to be dainty.

Pants are a huge pain, however. Finding petite maternity clothes was impossible in stores (and I got enormous really early), and it's really not all that easy to find regular clothes in petite. I would definitely recommend finding her a good tailor/seamstress. :)

She's just adorable!

| November 7, 2009 @ 1:06 am

13. Petunia Face said,

She is adorable! But I bet that's one thing she'll hate about being short–she will always be called adorable. I have big cheeks and have always been called cute.
    Just once I'd like to be called sexy as all get out.

| November 7, 2009 @ 1:08 am

14. Anita said,

My niece and nephew were preemies (like my twins) and although my nephew grew quickly, my niece stayed very small for her first two years. (like my twins, although we're much earlier in that process).

At age 18, my niece is now 6'2" and expected to grow another inch in the next year or so. My understanding is that it may take up to 5 years for preemies to catch up to what they are supposed to be.

I could be wrong. But 6'2". Dude. Seriously.

| November 7, 2009 @ 1:09 am

15. beyond said,

sigh. i think kids tease other kids for all kinds of stupid reasons. too short, too tall, too fat, too skinny, glasses, teeth, noses, hair. unfortunately, kids are cruel.
    i think much of the teasing/not teasing has to do with the child's attitude, and her self-confidence.
    that said, sadie may grow more than you imagined in your wildest dreams all of a sudden…

| November 7, 2009 @ 1:42 am

That picture is just too adorable for words!

| November 7, 2009 @ 2:33 am

17. BakerGirl said,

My best friend in college was 4'10.5 and she never had any problems or got made fun of. Quite the opposite, she always had lots of boys vying for her and she was so cute and petite it made me want to puke sometimes. (I wear a 2 and feel like a giant fat ass next to her size 0).

I think Sadie will be adorable. It's much better to be a short girl than a short boy.

| November 7, 2009 @ 2:37 am

18. Chris said,

Really, it's not ok to ask someone's height?? I'm 6'2'' and I get asked at least once a day how tall I am. I love being tall, but really, must people point it out all the time? I'm still getting over my high school self-consciousness…

| November 7, 2009 @ 4:01 am

19. Beth said,

Not to sound totally completely sexist, but I think in our society it is perfectly fine for women to be short… not so much for men. My co-worker is 4'10" and I had no idea (I thought she was at least 5 feet or 5'2"). She dresses super-cute and wears heels which add a few inches. Her husband is a foot taller and they are adorable together. Speaking of adorable, I'm loving that Halloween pic of Sadie… very unique/cool that she was a football player!

| November 7, 2009 @ 5:11 am

20. Angry Julie Monday said,

I'm 5'4" but I have a 26 inch inseam. It makes finding jeans awful. I hold onto pants when they fit perfect.

Well she is adorable. And her cuteness will make up for lack of height.

She could always be a gymnast and make loads of $$$$ in endorsements…

My friend's son still has his button too, they use it for meds sometimes still. He turned 2 in April.

| November 7, 2009 @ 5:41 am

21. Molly said,

My sister is 5' and my mom and I are 5'2. The funny thing is that people think I am taller than I am because I'm a big personality, I talk a lot, and I'm loud. People don't realize I'm way shorter than them.

Oh and for the shopping thing? I live in NYC and even taller people can't get things off shelves. I just get good at yelling "I need a tall person!" and someone comes along to help me.

I love being short. It's great for dating because I can date tall guys, medium height guys and short guys. She'll be awesome regardless of her height.

| November 7, 2009 @ 6:09 am

22. 3 Bundles for Me said,

Hi – I'm 4'10" and it is FINE! Of course I wish I had just another inch or two, so I didn't have to get all my pants hemmed, but it is a great conversation starter. And little kids always like you because your not as intimidating. :)

The pants hemming and trying to reach top shelves are the most annoying things about it – so it ain't that bad!

She'll be AWESOME!

| November 7, 2009 @ 11:20 am

23. Rhea said,

I am 4'11" and it never stopped me to do anything I wanted in life.

I was a forestry technician, surrogate mother, runner and so many other things.

It never stopped me bacause I never let it stop me. Even the cloth are no problems for me. Just know where to find pants and stick to it.

She will be fine.

| November 7, 2009 @ 2:30 pm

24. Gwen said,

I'm 5'2", and of course I get called short sometimes, but it's not like it's ever been an actual problem. I have to use stepstools, at concerts I have to hope no men stand right in front of me, and I always have to get my pants shortened. But really, no big deal. My aunt is 4'11", and it hasn't been a problem. She was a competitive runner through college, cross country is good for shorter people. I guess basketball wouldn't have been her sport. Honestly, being short is no big deal. Sadie'll be great.

| November 7, 2009 @ 3:06 pm

25. UniversityPark Nanny said,

Im 23 and 4'10..My 7 year old charge is almost as tall as me. I havent grown an inch since the 5th grade and while i have been teased it was all in fun.The only downsides to being short is that i cant reach shit in cabinents or high shelves and finding jeans and capris that fit is a real bitch. And im only 2 inches above the cutoff for needing a booster seat in the car. Your girls are adorable..At most she'll be called a nugget. Little Sadie Big World!

| November 7, 2009 @ 6:21 pm

I'm 5'9 and neither of my girls will be "tall". The oldest at 16 is 5'4 and my 13-year-old likely won't see 5'. She has lots of friends and nicknames (shrimp fry)and height doesn't matter. Kids don't tease her but lug her around like a little sister. She has always been the smallest kids in her class. When she went to middle school, other kids would ask her if she skipped one grade or two. She likes to tell people "I'm fun-sized!"

| November 7, 2009 @ 6:29 pm

27. Ally said,

I'm 5'0", have never been teased for being small, except by my 13 yr old cousin (when I was 28), who was taller…to which I replied, "Well, I'm smarter." Nipped THAT in the bud. Shopping is a problem, yes. "Petite" clothes seem to be only made by upper class soccer moms, and high class preppy is so not my style. So I tend to calculate a $12 hem job into every pair of pants I buy. Also can't reach the middle or top shelves of any cabinet – but that's what step ladders are for, right? Other than that, never had a prob with it.

| November 7, 2009 @ 6:55 pm

28. little t said,

I am 5'2, and my huney is 5'10 maybe 5'8, not sure (oops) my little one just hit 20lbs 8 oz. I know this because yesterday i put her on my scale and it FINALLY registered on its own. She will be two in december. she is my featherweight and is already wanting to play hockey like her big sisters. I think your little one will be fine no matter what height she is. And i have to agree, way cool shoes in small sizes. she will be wearing all kinds of cool clothes too. I was able to get away with junior sizes in my twenties.
    have a great day. looking forward to the celebration you will be having in the spring when the tube comes out :) it will be here before you know it!
    little t from montreal

| November 7, 2009 @ 7:17 pm

29. Melissa said,

Hello! I'm 5'1" and have been the same height since I was 11 years old. I've always liked being short. My whole life people have told me that I'm cute and petite. I was never teased other than nicknames that my guy friends gave me. I used to be called bitesize and tini. The only thing that bothered me about being short besides never being able to find pants that fit me just right is that people always wanted to pick me up. I've always dated guys around 6 feet tall, and they have always thought my petiteness was adorable. My husband is 6'4" and I'm 5'1". I'm hoping that our son gets his height from his father. I think it's perfectly acceptable for a woman to be short, but a short man is kinda strange.

| November 7, 2009 @ 7:48 pm

30. Rebecca said,

On a really good day when I'm wearing a nice pair of shoes, I might register somewhere near 5 foot tall. I was never picked on that I remember.

I was always told how cute and petite I looked and girls would always be jealous that I could fit into a small size. (I could wear little girl clothing until I got pregnant with my first…I was somewhere near 27 at the time)Guys loved me to pieces, which I loved quite a bit. Many guys would say rude things like 'you're the perfect size for head'" BUT I've never given head…..so I wouldn't know.

Ann Taylor Loft has lots of adorable clothing for petite women. Used to wear her clothing a lot. Only brand that truly fit me.

My challenges include not really being tall enough to drive a really cool sports car. That I have to sit pretty close to the steering wheel and it drives ME batty. Cabinets that reach to the ceiling. I can barely reach the top shelf of normal cabinets, forget the 42' cabinets. It's hopeless. Shopping at the grocery store is difficult when I want something on the top shelf, even in the freezer and refrigerator sections. I often just ask a tall guy for help.

Being short helps stop the military recruiters. I think they can't accept anyone below 5 foot tall or something. I'd always say something to the nature of I'm only 4'll" and they'd be like….oh and move on to harass the others.

| November 7, 2009 @ 7:51 pm

31. Rebecca said,

My son is only 35 inches tall. And he's 2 1/2….

| November 7, 2009 @ 7:53 pm

32. Sarah Lister said,

I have something of the same issue; my daughter is apparently going to take after her aunt, who is 5'2", and then have at least a few inches shaved off by her genetic condition. I also find myself eyeballing shorter women (I'm 5'6" so on the taller side although not all that tall) and thinking, well, that doesn't look so bad. I also worry about her finding clothes, but more so because although my daughter is only a little taller than Sadie, she weighs almost ten pounds more! I'm thinking I'd better teach her to sew. :-)

| November 7, 2009 @ 8:31 pm

33. SmartAssMom said,

I'm 5'2" and I like being short. Whenever someone is shorter than me (yes, it happens)I feel totally weird, like I'm looking down on them or something. Short equals cute.

At least that's what my gramma told me.

Pants really aren't even a big issue, you buy petites and wear heels. Easy!

| November 7, 2009 @ 9:22 pm

34. Lil Mouse said,

I am Five-Two and never can get pants to fit, word to the wise, get her to a good place to buy petite clothes, because in the midwest all the petite clothes are for the 60plus age group. It's very frustrating. Plus the face I have LT's shoulders (love that pic by the way)so nothing ever really fits right. I was teased some for being short, but being nerdy canceled that out by high school, I had one kid in college tease me and I told him to grow up and find something better to talk about. I only really had one other issue and that was a younger college kid giving me 'noogies' and I confronted her and told her I was older than her and deserved her respect. She was taken aback but quit. See me shrugging? There could be worse things. There are worse things. If they can't find anything more creative than height to tease on, either she's perfect or they are stupid. She can tell them so!

| November 7, 2009 @ 10:44 pm

35. Daddy Files said,

Sadie looks a lot tougher than LT, plus she's not pouting on the sidelines!

| November 8, 2009 @ 12:08 am

36. Tara said,

Well I'm 5' and I got teased and still do as an adult. I get awkward looks carrying my son. In elementary school many teachers seeing me out of my classroom asked me if I were lost and needed help getting back to my kindergarten class room, when at that point I was in 4th grade.

As Jadine said, I also get bonked in the face a lot by others elbows and such. And I also either have to climb things or ask strangers for help at the grocery store.

But being short does have it's advantages, yes you get noticed….I was noticed by my now hubby who is 6'1" yes we look funny together but hey it works for us. I often wonder what it would be like to actually be able to reach things but good things do come in small packages. I can find more clothes, sometimes cheaper because at the age of 27 I can still get some things out of the little girls section, and everything else I wear is in the juniors section.

But I have learned to love it. And life could be a lot worse.

| November 8, 2009 @ 1:43 am

37. Shannon said,

First things first…
    WTF DOES Sherpa mean? You throw all these fancy shmancy words at us and expect us to know what they mean because Jon is a brain? Well, listen here buckaroo, I may be a dumbass like yer wife AND your ex-girlfriend but I am 40 years old and have NEVER heard the word! I think Jon made it up to make us look like asses Steph!
    Anyhoo, back to the little babe… and that she is! I think she will be absolutely adoreable when she grows up. If she has half the personality and looks that her mama has, no one will notice anything about her height!!!! One of these days, she is going to shoot straight up passed Elby and Mattie! You'll be like Woooooowww! get me a ladder so I can kiss her goodnight!

| November 8, 2009 @ 3:08 am

38. MommaNecey said,

I'm glad I'm not the only one checking out the short folks. I see women and wonder if Emma will be "that tall". I would be so amazed if she reached anywhere NEAR 5'. But that's what they make STOOLS for! And she carts hers around like a pro. :) (Yes, I am proud of that!) Thanks for this post – nice to know I'm not alone! haha

| November 8, 2009 @ 3:15 am

39. MommaNecey said,

btw…Emma is in the less than 1/3 percentile. BUT – at least she's even in a percentile (FINALLY). :) (Yes, I am proud of that, too!)

| November 8, 2009 @ 3:18 am

40. kellie said,

I am 5' tall and never even thought of myself as short growing up! One day someone called me "shorty" and I became aware of how much taller everyone around me was! Still, I never let it bother me. I don't have a problem finding cute clothes and I even played basketball in school!

| November 8, 2009 @ 4:23 am

41. Shannon said,

well you know I am a shorty. I always say I am 5'2", but they measured me at the docs office the other day and I am 5'1.5". I actually don't mind it one bit. I dated guys of all different heights,and lots of tall guys actually like short girls. My BIL is one of those, he is 6'3" and my sis is 5'2. It served me well when I ended up with a 5'8" husband. LOL I am really worried about our boys though. They don't have a chance!

| November 8, 2009 @ 5:40 am

42. Kyla said,

Sadie is SO cute!

It is funny how different your tube experience has been from ours. For us, there has not been one SECOND of doubt that is was the right call (heck, I just wrote a birthday post to the thing) and we are surely not ready for it to ride off into the sunset anytime soon.

I'm so glad she is doing well!

| November 8, 2009 @ 4:28 pm

43. Tara said,

One of my good friends is about 4'11". She is so adorable. I love going shopping with her- we go to stores like Forever 21 (she's 38). Capri pants fit her like regular pants, so she saves money. The only downfall is her shoe size. Dansko doesn't make her size, which is a real tragedy. But seriously, she is cute and Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE thinks she is super young- like 29. I think she's lucky. Nobody thinks I'm 29. Nobody tells me I'm cute.

| November 9, 2009 @ 12:43 am

44. Lisa said,

I think any woman under 5'8" has to get her pants hemmed these days anyway, if she doesn't want to mutilate her feet wearing high heels every day. And that's a lot easier than making them longer- my 6' SIL can't find pants long enough.

| November 9, 2009 @ 12:59 am

45. Julie said,

I was told that I would likely not be taller than 4'11". I was IUGR and just teeny tiny my whole young life. I got teased, but it never felt malicious or hurtful – I actually felt special. Then freshman year of college, I grew 4 inches and am now closer to 5'3" which doesn't seem that short. You never know – she could get a growth spurt like that! My daughter is equally small (she is 3 and is 24 lbs and 33 inches). I think she will eventually even out and not be the shorty).

| November 9, 2009 @ 5:51 pm

my Daughter is 3 1/2 and is in a 2T. She makes her own weight chart! I have had strangers come up to me and ask me if she is ok when told her age. but you know, she is FINE. Size is nothing, it is inside that counts! You can do anything if you set your mind to it and Sadie is a fighter and she will be scrappy and succeed. (BTW I LOVE THE WORD SCRAPPY AND USE IT TO DESCRIBED MY CHILD

| November 9, 2009 @ 9:32 pm

47. GingerB said,

Like your last two commenters – my daughter is wee. Three and a half years old, and 23 pounds soaking wet. We still use 18 mos. pants but can sometimes use a 2T. I am 5foot 2 inches, and I was teased, and even tossed throught the air, but kids get teased about absolutely everything so there is no point thinking that life is worse than any other.

| November 9, 2009 @ 9:57 pm

48. Glass Houses said,

I'm 4'10". So is a friend of mine. we are generally acknowleged to be cute.

Sure, I got teased for it growing up. Still do sometimes.

The biggest obstacle I have had to face as an adult is not being able to reach things. There are certain jobs I can't do and certain cars I can't drive. I'm technically too short for the military (aw, shucks) but there is such a thing as a height waiver.

A couple of bonuses though – I always get great shoes on sale because very few adults can wear a size 5 stiletto heel. Plus, I will always look way younger than I really am.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Being short is sometimes annoying, but rarely detrimental.

| November 9, 2009 @ 10:15 pm

49. Barbablab said,

That is one damn cute kid! I'm 5'0 but people tend to think I'm taller since I'm loud and have excellent posture. Usually there's a moment where someone says "you're short." My response is usually "I know" or "yes, in American culture I am…" (and then segue into something that makes them feel like they just called a black person a n'word – usually I only do that when I'm annoyed) It doesn't bother me to be short. Oh, and it's a good pick-up line to get a cute tall dude to reach things for you. As a girl(and a cutie-pie one) I think she'll kick some serious ass.

| November 9, 2009 @ 10:47 pm

50. RLE said,

I'm 4'10 1/2. I never let anyone forget the half, but more importantly (and honestly) it is NO BIG DEAL. In fact, it has been extremely helpful on airplanes, where the tall guy standing next to me always kindly stows my carry-on for me . . . Not saying there won't be teasing at school, but it's a pretty minor thing to be teased about. Not scarring, and by the time she's ten, she will have heard them all. And be the master of the witty comeback (if she's anything like her mom). So no worries.

| November 9, 2009 @ 10:56 pm

51. Jennifer June said,

I strongly suggest keeping a measuring tape with you at all times. A fabric one might even fit in your wallet. Then whenever you see somebody short enough to spark your interest, you choose something nearby and ask said passerby to help you measure whatever it is. This way,you can sneak a quick glance at where she or he falls on the ruler.
    It's brilliant.
    I always tell my daughter that boys LOVE petite women and that all her tall friends will be writhing with jealousy one day. It usually does the trick.

| November 10, 2009 @ 2:22 am

I am 5'1" and I love it. Always have. I was never teased by anyone except my brothers and they are 6'2". It is much harder for a woman to be extremely tall (or worse a short man) compared to her peers in school. And after high school it really doesn't matter. The only people I know who are obsessed with height are the "average" people. Honestly I think you are making too big of a deal about it.
    One of the most amazing women I know is 4'11". She makes a room go quiet and heads turn when she walks in. Not because of her height but because of her personality.

| November 10, 2009 @ 3:31 am

53. Sarah said,

I'm 4'11. I was teased in school for it, but then again kids always find something to pick on others about. I also got teased for my red hair and freckles-lots of jokes about leprechauns.

Really the worst part is finding jeans that fit, thats all.

Hooray that she is eating well!

| November 10, 2009 @ 8:51 pm

54. Wendi said,

This is probably appropriate of nothing, but when I was pregnant with Jack, I was convinced he was going to be a Little Person because I'd watched too much TLC in my first trimester.

| November 14, 2009 @ 6:40 pm

55. Rebecca said,

I learned the meaning of Sherpa when the "Life Sherpa" started writing for our local newspaper. He's very witty and I love reading his column.

| November 20, 2009 @ 2:08 am

I'm a little late to the party, but I had to chime in. I'm 4'11" and 3/4, and being short has been one of the LEAST challenging things in my life. Yes, I get my pants hemmed, & I shop the petite department. I keep a stepstool in my closet, and I appreciate car manufacturers who make the seat belts adjustable so they don't cut across my neck, but that's about it.

Not a big deal.