Endocrinologists and Other Doctors That are Hard to Pronounce

This post is about a day ahead of being newsworthy but tomorrow is a long awaited appointment for Sadie at Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles. If you’ve never heard of Children’s Hospital, it’s this major pediatric facility a ton of medical billing workers that’s won a bajillion awards for, you know, doing leading things and discovering…I don’t know…I’m not a goddamned brochure okay but just know the place is good. And we’re lucky as hell to have gotten an appointment.

The thing is, Sadie has been doing well with her weight lately. She’s stepped up her eating from dust balls on the floor mixed with an ounce or two of Pediasure and give or take a half a piece of cheese to human sized meals that contain protein, carbs and yummy, yummy GoGurt (see carbs). She’s been eating so well, in fact, that we haven’t fed her with the tube in well over a month and she’s still managed to gain almost a pound. Remember that post where I had stopped tube feeding her and she lost weight? Well, she finally broke twenty pounds (give or take an ounce or two depending on whether she’s sweated through a tough workout or pigged out on a half a hot dog) due to kick ass parenting (fine, periactin) and we’re pretty pleased with her progress weight wise. Unfortunately, she’s still only 29 inches tall. Think about that for a minute. She’s the size of two 12 inch subs end to end plus a few extra bites. She’s a small fry (but the smallest fry in the bag is still delicious). One would hope that when one gains weight one would eventually gain height as well but with Sadie, hope and a growth chart has gotten us a much coveted appointment with Children’s.

Our pediatrician took one look at her at our last visit and said, “Yeah, I have no doubt she’ll need growth hormones.” I don’t know what that entails or whether or not what he says is golden -he’s a crackerjack doctor but he doesn’t believe that teething causes symptoms in babies which any mom can tell you is a load of shit so I don’t know how much I can invest in his growth hormones theory.

One thing that’s fun about having a short stack is she’s good for party tricks. I love the look on people’s faces when they see what looks to be an 11-month-old baby walk up and say “high five!” although they could be staring because high fives are so out. Maybe they’re thinking “Can’t you teach the poor kid a fist bump?” Well, that’s something we can work on during the 2 to 3 hour wait at the hospital tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on September 22, 2009 11:44 pmEndocrinologist,Sadie28 comments

1. Amanda said,

GOOD LUCK – I hope you get some satisfying answers from your visit. xo

| September 23, 2009 @ 12:25 am

2. kyslp said,

Hope everything goes well!

| September 23, 2009 @ 12:32 am

3. Lolly said,

Good luck!

| September 23, 2009 @ 12:51 am

4. FPIESmommy said,

Hope everything goes well. Good luck!

| September 23, 2009 @ 12:52 am

5. Cass said,

Suh-weeeet!

My twins get weighed on Thursday, and I look forward to them each having gained 5 lbs. In the last 4 weeks. 'Cause that's what they feel like. I can hope!!

Good luck, Sadie!

| September 23, 2009 @ 12:57 am

6. Aunt Becky said,

It will probably be totally different in the pediatric endocrinologists waiting room, but in my endocrinologists waiting room, man, it's awesome people watching. I bet you'll just see cute kids.

| September 23, 2009 @ 1:02 am

7. Red Lotus said,

My kid goes to a children's hospital for appt's alot and I love the wait. It's perfect time to use that "judging other peoples parenting skills and their baby's progress" skill of yours.

Good luck Sadie!

| September 23, 2009 @ 2:18 am

8. SHANNON said,

My four year old son was on chemo for three years due to an autoimmune disease. His therapy stunted his growth. He is a petite guy in the 5% for weight and 10% for height. Good things come in small packages!

| September 23, 2009 @ 2:26 am

9. Vanessa M. said,

Good luck tomorrow! It sounds like Sadie's making great progress.

| September 23, 2009 @ 2:46 am

10. Sarah said,

Good luck to the small fry tomorrow! i love the small fries, they are the best ones in the bag!

Just FYI, I wandered into the library today and surprise! There was your book right out in front. – I know, I know I should BUY it – but there it was and it was 10 minutes to close so I just grabbed it… Well who the hell knew that they won't give out new cards after quarter to close. Five minutes too late.

DC government employees are so HELPFUL.

| September 23, 2009 @ 3:56 am

11. lonek8 said,

good luck! I've never been to Children's Hopsital out there, but the one in Denver was completely amazing for my daughter's surgery at 4 mo old. So I know you and Sadie are in the best hands

| September 23, 2009 @ 4:47 am

12. kkjayne said,

fist bumps are over-rated. at least with high-fives you don't get bruises.

| September 23, 2009 @ 6:52 am

13. Shannon said,

Steph…
    Wishing you all the luck in the world! As for your kick-ass parenting…you go girl! I knew you could pull it off!

| September 23, 2009 @ 11:57 am

14. Karen Cupcake said,

Tiny two year olds or Big ones.. when I saw two bulldozer twin boy two year olds knuckle bump each other I almost peed my pants! HILARIOUS!!!!
    So yeah… work on that!

:O) I pulled out my old diaries yesterday for my 14 year old, 135 pound, kid to read …. (not ALL of them, geeze you have no idea what I wrote!!!) and I found a diary where I was getting chewed out by my pediatrician because my 2 year old only weighed 23 pounds!
    So… Im with ya sister. However, since 7th grade that kid has grown a HELLOVA appetite.. and now fits in medium adult clothes, her feet are two sizes larger than mine, and we wont even TALK about that chest which I never saw til I had two kids!

Good luck at the doctors tomorrow, and no worries!! Others have been before ye, and survived to read your blog!
    It will all work out. :O)

| September 23, 2009 @ 1:51 pm

I hope you find the answers you are looking for. I want you to know that I was on growth hormones for a year or so. I was older than Sadie – I think like 9 or so. My mom gave me a shot in the thigh a couple times a week. I'm 4'11" now. Not sure what I would have been without them. But, as tough as a thought it is to give her growth hormones, I turned out fine. You've dealt with tougher battles than this. I would maybe wait a few years before doing them though.

Cathy

| September 23, 2009 @ 2:24 pm

16. Mommy, Esq. said,

Yeah, fistbumps are much cooler (Note: my kids only do High 5s). I'm thinking of you and Sadie. Unfortunately appointments at "high caliber" clinics just lead to a million more specialists and appointments. Small fries are also usually the fiestiest. :)

| September 23, 2009 @ 2:48 pm

17. kate said,

I love "the smallest fry in the bag is still delicious". What a delightful way to look at things. You ARE a kick-ass mama.

| September 23, 2009 @ 3:30 pm

18. Nicole said,

After reading many FTT blogs i was curious why my small fry was never sent to an endocrinologist since he was sent to every other specialist. My pediatrician explained that his hormone levels have always been normal therefore he did not need growth hormones. She explained that in the United States doctors prescribe growth hormones for poor weight gain but in Canada doctors are only allowed to prescribe if there is a hormone deficiency. Hormones don't always work and they can cause side effects and secondary issues. Please ask your endocrinologist what the risks are and make sure sweet Sadie has a deficiency before you make your decision. I hope your visit goes well.

| September 23, 2009 @ 4:23 pm

19. daisybv2 said,

Hope all goes well tomorrow, My brother was on growth hormone, he had no side effects except that he was ALWAYS hungry it made him grow and the now has no other problems.

So if that is something that she does need…. it does work

| September 23, 2009 @ 5:13 pm

20. Babbalou said,

I hope it's going well for you and your beautiful daughter today! For what it's worth my oldest son was completely off the bottom of the height charts at 36 months but slowly caught up and at 21 is over 6 feet tall. So some kids just grow at their own pace.

| September 23, 2009 @ 6:39 pm

21. Rebecca said,

I live in St. Louis and am near St Louis Children's Hospital and Cardinal Glennon and both are award winning hospitals, but what I've found is that the best doctors are generally at St. Luke's and St John's and Missouri Baptist. (So if this appointment doesn't go well or you need a second opinion, find another place that's just as good)

I have a horror story about going to the Children's ER. It was awful. When I called the pediatrician he said we should have gone to one of the other hospitals. I seriously don't know how STLCH and CG actually won awards.

My son was 6 months old and the ER doctor did nothing for his leg which was broken only they couldnt' figure out what was wrong with him and they just wanted to send me home. Think Exorcist because I went all crazy on that poor ER doctor and demanded drugs. He had to go to someone for approval to get vicotin for 'someone so young' but I was quite ferocious and we got enough to get us through the weekend.

Anyway, I have no idea how tall you and your husband are but my husband and I are short (5foot me, 5'8" husband…..) and our kids are short too. My son barely comes up to my daughters shoulders and she's only 40 inches tall. Son is 2 1/2 and daughter is 4.

Anyway, good luck tomorrow. Hopefully the doctor will see you as soon as you come in and will spend all the time you need to get your questions answered and feel at ease.

| September 23, 2009 @ 7:54 pm

I hope you get some answers. But more importantly, that is awesome she is eating so well. This is good that maybe you/they are able to begin narrowing down the growth problem and can't blame it on weight gain.

| September 23, 2009 @ 8:56 pm

23. CountryMidwife said,

I'm a midwife and work with mostly Amish (so TONS of little Sadies) :) If you don't get satisfaction with the new docs consider calling the Clinic for Special Children in Strasburg, PA. They are revolutionaries in metabolic diseases and though yes, they work mostly with Plain families, not exclusively. They may have good insights for you. We also have a lot of dwarf toddlers running around and so imagine the size of a six month old giving you a high five :):)

| September 23, 2009 @ 10:53 pm

24. SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said,

GOOD LUCK and your post made me realize how lucky i am to have healthy kids and to not have this kind of worry. i don't know how you do it, but you're a mom, and that's what moms do. new follower.

| September 24, 2009 @ 1:19 am

25. Mommy on the Spot said,

Anytime your kid needs to see a "specialist" is a scary thing. I also find that "specialists" usually lack in the whole bedside manner thing, which makes a stressful situation more stressful.

I hope you get the answers you need. Also, make sure you do something nice for yourself. I wish I would have taken better care of myself when my kid was going through her thing.

| September 24, 2009 @ 1:34 am

26. Two Wishes said,

Glad to come across Sara's comment, 'cause I've been hoping forever that the DC Library would get your books! Yeah, I also know I should purchase them, but I get *everything* from the library. Promise to read it, then talk you up to friends with higher incomes!

And anyway, I meant to comment to say Good Luck with the docs. I've been chronically ill for many years, and know all the hopes and fears wrapped up in a big visit…. And for what it's worth, at least you can have fun with those size/age expectations. People assume our 99th-percentile 6mo-old is older than she is, then they look at us like "Your kid can't do *anything*!"

| September 24, 2009 @ 2:01 am

27. Wicked Step Mom said,

I know this is late, but good luck!

| September 30, 2009 @ 12:12 pm

28. For the Long Haul said,

Wow. I know you're all kinds of famous and my joining you this late in the game makes me kind of a loset but…WOW. This post and the following one just rings so true to me. My son is also very small. For perspective, he is almost 4 and weighs 29.5 pounds and is 37" tall (just grew inch and a half–WOOT!). He has been on pediasure and currently takes periactin. We also have had every test in the book including a brain MRI (that was fun) and have no diagnosis except that he is really tiny. Our endo doctor also talks about growth hormones. A lot.

So like I said, sorry to come so late to the game. I will go back and read archives but I wanted to let you know that I feel you. I know what it's like to have a battle EVERY.DAY.OF.YOUR.GODFORSAKEN.LIFE. over food. To strive and beg and plead and cook and do whatever the hell you can do to try and make your child take a simple bite of food. So nice to have found someone to read who shares the struggle. Hope all goes well for you and your little peanut.

| October 14, 2009 @ 3:30 am