The Post That is Sure To Jinx Me

Shockingly, this post has nothing to do with drinking, not drinking, drunkeness, vicodin or Kristy McNichol -not that I’ve blogged much in the past about Kristy but I’ve always meant to because, she’s cool and she was on the Facts of Life.
Okay, my husband just pointed out that Nancy McKeon was on FOL but I don’t know what difference it makes in the scheme of things. Like why pick a fight about that right now? Fine, Jon, you’re right. Is that what you want to hear? Do you feel like more of a man now because you know that Nancy McKeon was on FOL? Maybe we just shouldn’t be together. I mean, seriously, maybe what we need is a trial separation. Oh I’M overreacting?

Listen, I didn’t mean to drag you into my marital discord and don’t worry about me because I just signed up for Match.com.

So, this post is about another one of my favorite obsessions: Sadie and our war on her appetite. Despite our best efforts to get Sadie interested in eating, here is a short list of things Sadie would prefer doing (edited from what could be a much longer list) biting Matilda, licking my computer mouse, shrieking “all done,” staring at a penny, throwing expensive Melissa and Doug puzzle pieces in the toilet and watching any movie starring Richard Gere.

But all of a sudden, it seems we’ve hit Lorenzo’s Oil in the shape of a drug called Periactin. This is an antihistine which has been around for like a hundred and sixty years (I’m pretty sure cave men took it when their allergies were acting up) and has the side effect of causing WEIGHT GAIN.

Why haven’t we tried this before? Well, our GI told us no. She’s a wonderful GI, don’t get me wrong. If she sucked you’d have read all about it. In fact, she recently had twins and yet finds the time to diagnose a little reflux in her spare time. But she doesn’t like putting kids on appetite stimulating drugs. Now my nutritionist, on the other hand, has been gently asking why we don’t try it and last week I suddenly got desperate enough to go over my GI’s head and ask my pediatrician for a prescription. A week ago, I got the drug, gave it to Sadie and then next day my head exploded. She ate like we’ve never seen her eat before. She gobbled, she munched, she scarfed, she wanted more. I spontaneously entered her in a hotdog eating contest and she took second place in the 21-month-old division. Note to self: train her harder next time. No break for diaper changes.

After five days we had to give her two days off and today was day two so she’s back on tomorrow. The only downside to all this is that this drug has a history of suddenly losing it’s efficacy and no one seems to know when that might happen. Could be a week, could be month but in the meantime, let’s drink to her possible weight gain. And by drink I mean Diet Orange Crush because I have been sober for 95 days. You knew I’d throw that in right?

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on August 25, 2009 6:07 pmperiactin,Sadie40 comments

1. Geerts said,

that picture is awesome! Love the crazy hair!

| August 26, 2009 @ 4:47 am

2. Aunt Becky said,

I'd much rather lick a computer mouse than eat. I get this entirely.

| August 26, 2009 @ 4:53 am

3. Kyddryn said,

Here's hoping it lasts long enough to render itself moot!

Shade and Sweetwater,
    K (who is raising a glass…of water…to your little one's health)

| August 26, 2009 @ 4:56 am

4. Strange Mamma said,

Yay! Good stuff. Do we get pictures of said scarfing? I'm always a sucker for pictures of tots with food on their face.

btw congrats on the 95 days, well, 96 when you read this. Rock on!

| August 26, 2009 @ 6:50 am

5. Burgan said,

I suddenly have a new respect for your life. I just took my daughter to the GI specialist last week. Looks like we will be on Vital Jr till she is 18 months. They are also worried about her weight,and it's something I worry about constantly. I love her facial expression she reminds me of my Lilly.

| August 26, 2009 @ 6:59 am

6. GTR said,

????,??,????,?????,????,18??,????,?????,????,?????,????,????,????,????,?????,??????,????,????,????,????,????,??,??,aio,????,ut???,ut???,?????,???,??????,080?????,??????,?????,????,080???,080??????,6k???,?????,?????,??????,????,????,????,????,???,????,????,??,????,????,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,????,??,??,?????,????,sogo??,????,plus??,plus,????,?????,????,??,????,?????,??,AV,AV??,SEX,??,a?,a????,A?,h?,????,??A?,????,????,????,?????

| August 26, 2009 @ 8:14 am

7. Sally HP said,

Good! Hope this works long enough that she'll just realize how fantastic food is!

| August 26, 2009 @ 10:57 am

8. Shannon said,

Yaaaaayyyyyyyyyy for Sadie and Momma! The Hair is outrageous! Can you spare some for my Abbie? She will be a year next week and barely has any!!! NOW… Fr the love of God, where is my book??? I am very anxious to get started reading it! Luv Ya!!!! Shannon
    Congrats on your 95 day mark!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!

| August 26, 2009 @ 12:09 pm

9. Jessi said,

95 days is stupendous. Amazing. Commendable.

Also, glad that she's eating. I hope it doesn't wear off for a 27 years.

| August 26, 2009 @ 1:10 pm

10. Wicked Step Mom said,

I will grab a Diet Orange Crush on the way home from work just so that I can drink to Sadie gaining an appetite.

| August 26, 2009 @ 1:16 pm

11. Susan said,

Toasting with orange crush and vodka to Sadie's newfound appetite and to your impressive sobriety. Well done, you advocate mommy you!

| August 26, 2009 @ 2:51 pm

12. Suzy Voices said,

Glad you found something that works, however temporary!!

| August 26, 2009 @ 3:46 pm

13. Sober Mommy said,

My internal translator said that GTR wrote: as long as you spread some peanut butter on that computer mouse then it's a win-win.

Or something like that.

I say – whatever it takes for Sadie and for you. (Diet Orange Crush? Where does someone get such a drink?)

| August 26, 2009 @ 3:51 pm

14. Mommy, Esq. said,

I just learned that we are supposed to give Penny a break every once in a while – she's been on Periactin for a few months. I think it isn't working for us any more. It also has the added benefit of helping her sleep at night! It does interfere if you are doing any allergy testing so keep that in mind (we just did that today). Love, love the photo – I just pulled one of my camera of Penny in sunglasses that looks quite similar but Sadi's hair rules.

| August 26, 2009 @ 4:16 pm

15. Badass Geek said,

Maybe the Richard Gere movies should get tossed out. He makes me lose my appetite, too.

| August 26, 2009 @ 4:24 pm

16. Anna Marie said,

Yay for eating! I've heard of periactin suddenly not working, but I've also heard that a longer vacation from it can kick start it again.

And congrats on 95 days. THAT is truly impressive.

| August 26, 2009 @ 4:33 pm

17. Chacha Latte said,

She is going to fine since she likes watching Richard Gere.

And, honestly? Those melissa and doug puzzles are annoying. You will lose a bunch of pieces soon enough so she is just being precocious and doing this preemptively. Clever girl!

So, can I raise a cup of coffee in her honor (to be followed by lots of cream cheese and lard coffee cake)?

Plus, I get thirsty so I will also raise my water bottle.

| August 26, 2009 @ 4:58 pm

18. Alison aka Baby B said,

Woohoo! I hope it works for a looong time.

Sadie, just settle on down in front of a Richard Gere movie and snarf movie snacks the.entire.time. Eye candy (yes, he is) and food for your belly AT THE SAME TIME. Can it get any better?

| August 26, 2009 @ 5:17 pm

19. kate said,

95 days….that is fantastic!! And congrats too on finding something that is working for Sadie. Yay all around!

| August 26, 2009 @ 5:29 pm

20. Rebecca said,

I am so excited for little Sadie! Good job going above the specialists head and going straight to the pediatrician. I've had to do that with some stuff for my son!

| August 26, 2009 @ 6:07 pm

21. Kelsey said,

Congratulations to both of you!

| August 26, 2009 @ 7:19 pm

22. Piccinigirl said,

Awesome…I love when Drugs work for the greater good….Eat little girl, Eat. :)

love her hair, she's soooo friggin cute :)

| August 26, 2009 @ 7:51 pm

I take it that you are hoping that with the weight gain she will fill out her sunglasses :).

| August 26, 2009 @ 8:43 pm

24. Carolyn...Online said,

Munch munch munch! I hope she keeps being hungry and eating her weight in hot dogs.

And good job on the 95 days. I think you get a cake at 100.

| August 26, 2009 @ 9:11 pm

25. Mommy on the Spot said,

It's exhausting trying to find all the right pieces to the puzzle! And to do it sober for 95 days, way to go!! Keep on keep on, (both Sadie and you)!

| August 27, 2009 @ 12:30 am

26. heather... said,

IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT BOOZE WITH YOU!

"Biting Matilda" is the name of my third album.

| August 27, 2009 @ 1:09 am

27. Cass said,

Woo hooo for drugs! So glad that she has an appetite. Eat everything you can find, Sadie. Except for puzzle pieces from the toilet bowl.

| August 27, 2009 @ 3:57 am

good for you and good for her!

| August 27, 2009 @ 11:59 am

29. Gigi and Jo said,

Yay Sadie! Eat your heart out!

| August 27, 2009 @ 2:21 pm

30. Sassy Pie said,

I toast to the future hopes of a forward-facing car seat with my jasmine green tea. Hey, as long as you get her facing forward, that's what matters. :)

And a huge, hearty, hug-laden congrats on the sobriety!

| August 27, 2009 @ 3:27 pm

31. martini addict said,

Does being sober mean you can never drink, or just never get drunk? There's a difference!
    Sadie! Girl, let me talk to you about the weight gain, I have a specialty degree in this department. Just tell yourself you can't have cookies, ice cream, Oreos, bread, carbs, pizza, and the like. The weight will just pile on to your hips,never to me moved again!Trust me.

| August 27, 2009 @ 6:31 pm

32. Kendra said,

Congratulations to both of you! 95 days is amazing! And I hope (knock on wood) that this is the start of many wonderful, scarfing, stress-free meals!

(My 18-month-old's name is Matilda, and we also enjoy nibbling her. Maybe it's just that Matildas are tasty!)

| August 28, 2009 @ 12:18 pm

33. help4newmoms said,

Go, Sadie, go!

| August 28, 2009 @ 7:58 pm

34. The Mother Tongue said,

Woohoo! I hoist my Diet Coke in honor of both you and Sadie!

| August 29, 2009 @ 12:55 am

35. anita tedaldi said,

That's great, I hope it lasts for a long time! Years to come!
    Congrats on your own awesome accomplishment.
    Cheers,
    Anita

| August 29, 2009 @ 4:23 pm

36. My Bottle's Up! said,

GO SADIE GO!!!!! (please don't ever change that hair… cuz you and magoo can have a fro contest as well as a hot dog eating contest. scratch that, let's enter them AS A TEAM!!!)

and go you stef. xoxo!

| August 30, 2009 @ 11:23 pm

37. Rebecca said,

I just visited your site with my 2 year old son on my lap to see if you've posted anything new….and when my little guy saw your little lady, he cracked up laughing. I think it's cause he thinks she's cute.

| August 31, 2009 @ 6:22 pm

38. Catwoman said,

You know what this means, right? This means that In Touch will be posting Sadie's picture on their cover with the caption "Sadie — The New Fat Jessica?"

And then they'll ponder how long it takes Tony Romo to call her.

| August 31, 2009 @ 9:48 pm

39. Kyla said,

We used Periactin, a few times. The magic does wear off, at least it did for us. The first time it lasted the longest, the subsequent times her body adjusted to it pretty quickly.

BUT, any victory is a victory and I'm so glad you're getting a bit of a reprieve from that constant worry! I hope it works for a good while for you guys!

| September 2, 2009 @ 1:22 pm

40. Anne said,

I wonder who your pediatrician is… I think we may be in a similar boat -but a year behind you. My daughter just hit one year gestational and weighs just over 13lbs. Got a g-tube a few weeks ago and the jury's still out as to how well it will work. I can never imagine our old school pediatrician prescribing something like periactin – but its good to know its out there as an option. I am also looking into domperidone. We also spent time at Cedars Nicu (5months) and Dr. E with the twins is our GI. I could never have imagined anything as stressful as this past year and actually came across your blog while googling g-tubes compulsively. Very happy to have found it and look forward to your posts.

| September 21, 2009 @ 11:09 pm