Where Are My NYC Bloggers At?

Are you in NYC? Can you come to this? There will be champagne and white wine for those of you who are lushes and can’t not drink for one goddamn Wednesday night. For the rest of you who, like me, choose to take the moral high ground, there will be Perrier.
Please come and say hi to me!
That didn’t seem like a meaty enough blog so I decided to do some soul searching and really give you something meatier than just my appearance schedule.
I’m now going to share with you a whole list of shit I just don’t get:
Radiohead
Sweet pickles
Shoe shopping
People who don’t drink because they “just don’t like the taste.”
Cigarette smoking
Face piercings (for the record I had my nose pierced when I was twenty and I still have no idea what I was thinking. It hurt like a mo fo all the time)
Garfield
Women’s Magazines
Drop-by’s
Pennies
Decaf
Pie
Cheese snobs
The death penalty
Over eager blinker usage
Under use of blinkers
The movie Brazil
Cat people
Blueberry bagels

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on June 25, 2009 5:47 pmUncategorized29 comments

1. Aunt Becky said,

Bitch, you better fly my fat ass out for this!

| June 25, 2009 @ 6:41 pm

2. Rebecca said,

Please have something like this in St. Louis please please please pretty please!!!!! I'd really love to meet you and tell you how wonderful you are and how much I really love reading every single thing that you write, please come to St. Louis..

| June 25, 2009 @ 6:58 pm

3. Molly C said,

I'm in! and in NYC. and also capable of not drinking!

| June 25, 2009 @ 7:18 pm

4. Andrea (ace1028) said,

Oh man, I WISH! I'm from NYC originally, so I'll be there in spirit!

| June 25, 2009 @ 7:54 pm

5. nikki said,

If you have a signing or something similar in DC, I'll be all over it like a fly on poo.

| June 25, 2009 @ 8:19 pm

6. Marinka said,

Oh, I'm so there! And I'll drink FOR you. And I'll explain Garfield to you. It's like I'm some kind of a champagne drinking saint.

| June 25, 2009 @ 8:58 pm

7. Rachel said,

I'd share some Perrier with you if I was in NY, since I'm hugely pregnant and I guess its not good for the fetus to drink or something. Give the Perrier a squeeze of lemon, its better that way.
    I'm with you on the sweet pickles, death penalty, and blinker usage. As for the decaf? I don't think I would have made it to my 7th month without it! I feel much better if my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cup is made without all the extra anxiety juice.

| June 25, 2009 @ 9:12 pm

What were you on when you wrote this blog?

| June 25, 2009 @ 9:26 pm

9. Booklover1212 said,

Sorry I won't be able to join you in NYC….it's a bit of a drive all the way from Denver! Now – if you come to Denver, then count me in!

~ Jennifer

| June 25, 2009 @ 9:56 pm

10. CaraBee said,

You don't get PIE?? I'm speechless.

| June 26, 2009 @ 2:16 am

11. Ann's Rants said,

And WTF is up with those gargantuan earlobe-stretching grommets? Is that what you'd call it? A grommet? That is going to be HOT at the senior center someday.

Suzy sent me. The one with the golden head.

| June 26, 2009 @ 2:30 am

12. sarah said,

sweet pickles are disgusting. blurgh.

| June 26, 2009 @ 4:39 am

13. Kizz said,

Please add:

The Black Eyed Peas

Black olives

People who prefer "The Bean" (whatever)

Sushi (yep, I said it…bite me)

Flats (as in, shoes without a heel)

Living on the west side (of LA) – unless you prefer to never be able to park your car for less than $5 in quarters.

People over 20 who use the terms "phat" or "dope" or "rad" in a sentence

People under 80 who refer to something being "neat". Unless of course, you are from the mid-west.

Cilantro

and finally, so sorry my dear Kizz….but Capers!!! Whatevs

| June 26, 2009 @ 5:17 am

14. Still Learning Life said,

I'm jealous. Would you mind touring the US and heading straight down to Bloomington IN? And to the list…can we also add Nair, exposing major belly flab with too short shirts-please, I keep mine tucked away, and Tweety Bird-especially on clothing! And Winnie the pooh tattoos, now come on.

| June 26, 2009 @ 5:34 am

15. Lil Mouse said,

for some reason, I really like Garfield. And I hate the taste of booze. I've never been drunk. Well, maybe that one time when my friend graduated from college, but I didnt think I was drunk at all, so I dont suppose that counts. Anyway, wine, yuck, beer, no thanks, tequila, are you kidding? even wine coolers are too strong. amaretto is about all i can handle, sometimes rum or vodka if there's enough juice in the stuff. I have to take in so many other calories of juice or whatever to counteract the booze taste that its not worth it to my diet to do so.

| June 26, 2009 @ 11:59 am

16. Shannon said,

Steph…
    If you ever came near PA; I would strip down naked so you could autograph anywhere your hearts content! Take that being sober all you NYC blogger MFer's!!!! Steph rocks!!!!

| June 26, 2009 @ 12:15 pm

17. blooot said,

Decaf. I mean, seriously. Why? Why waste a perfectly good cup of coffee on decaf? What's the POINT?

It's like eating sugarfree chocolate. Stop now, people.

| June 26, 2009 @ 1:20 pm

18. Kendra said,

I love lists of things that we "don't get"–it makes me feel like I have permission to be crotchety at the age of 33.

Kizz, I felt bad for a second, because I definitely say "neat"–but then I realized I am from the Midwest, so it's okay.

Honestly I don't get texting. How hard is it to call someone? You've got the phone in your hand. Or Twitter for that matter. (See, I am secretly 80 and crotchety)

I also don't get baby headbands or water chestnuts.

Thanks to my crotchety-ness and Midwestern existence, I can't be there, but I'll be thinking of you and hoping you make it to Minneapolis someday!

| June 26, 2009 @ 1:50 pm

19. Laura in Michigan said,

I think a person must have the "Cat" gene in order to be a "cat person". Me, totally. I can't imagine a person not loving the fluffy goodness of a cat.

| June 26, 2009 @ 5:08 pm

20. Carolyn...Online said,

I think it's interesting that you specifically said "cigarette" smoking. Like smoking the crack pipe… or a pole is fine but cigarettes? Nope.

| June 26, 2009 @ 11:52 pm

21. Molly C said,

YO. baby headbands. agreed.

| June 27, 2009 @ 1:42 am

22. Y said,

SO, I just read the chapter about Hollywood Squares and oh, how I laughed and laughed. I love you and DAMN, I wish I was going to be there with you.

| June 27, 2009 @ 3:36 am

23. Sally HP said,

I'm flying back into Massachusetts that night, or I'd totally make the drive for this! Keep posting your scheduled because I'll make whatever one I can!

| June 28, 2009 @ 12:13 pm

24. Lou said,

I wish I lived in NYC so I could come to this. Only for the free booze. Because I cannot go one god-damned Wednesday night without a drink. Or three. Please come to DC. I saw that David Sedaris is coming to a bookstore near where I live and I would love to see him too. But there won't be any free booze, so why expend all the energy, really? And I wouldn't be able to think of a single god-damned thing to say to him so I would just stand there with a shit-eating grin on my face and look like a maniac.
    Come to think of it, that would happen if I met you also, so don't come to DC. But I will buy your book anyway.

| June 28, 2009 @ 10:58 pm

25. Rebecca said,

Just stopped back by again to beg of your presence at the St. Peters (near St. Louis) Barnes & Noble. I'd really love it if you came by to do a signing. Yea yea, I know, I know, it's all up to your PR…..shoudln't you get a say too? What about me? I've read both of your books and plan to get your new book to read.

| June 29, 2009 @ 7:19 pm

26. My Bottle's Up! said,

tell me you're taking the book tour to DC….

TELL ME!

| June 30, 2009 @ 2:07 pm

27. Surcie said,

I agree with a whole lot of this except pie. PIE?!

Surely you are coming to NC.

| June 30, 2009 @ 5:40 pm

28. Amelia Sprout said,

Oh god, I thought I was the only one who didn't get Radiohead. I haven't told my husband yet. I'm afraid he would divorce me, or at least have an affair with someone much more cool.

| July 2, 2009 @ 2:45 am

29. RhoRho said,

I am with you on alloftheabove. But Radiohead's song Fake Plastic Trees is pretty cool.
    Congrats on the book!