My Babies Look Good in Hats

I’m finally going to have to accept that I have twins. And people that have twins are supposed to do dorky stuff like dress them alike and put them in coordinating hats to make sure everyone fully understands their twinness. So fine, you win. You all win. Happy now? Answer me. Are you happy you’ve turned me into someone who puts my children in situations just to exploit their cuteness and get good photo ops? I hope you’re pleased with yourself.

So this is for all you people who’ve stopped me on the street, in the mall, at the doctor to say “Are they twins?” and when I say “Yes” you don’t have the good sense to just say, “Oh how cute.” Instead you say things like, “Really?” in a tone that makes it seem like you suspect I birthed them on Mars or “But they they can’t be twins because they are such different sizes!” How am I supposed to respond to that? “You know, upon furthur inspection, maybe they aren’t twins after all. Thanks for the heads up on that! I’ve got some calls to make!”

So this is for you naysayers! My bitches look good in a hat! And they are twins despite the seven pound weight differencial. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Now shut up and knit them a hat.

Also, if you want to read the funniest recap of Celeb Apprentice, may I suggest you go here?

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on May 12, 2009 6:43 pmTwins42 comments

1. Alison aka Baby B said,

People are SO confused about twins. Fraternal twins are just like any other pair of siblings, they just happen to be born at the sane time.

Your girls do look very sweet in hats, I must say :]

| May 12, 2009 @ 7:16 pm

2. Stephanie said,

They look great in hats! Such beautiful happy little girls!!

Have you been asked if they are “maternal”? Meaning fraternal…and people still ask me if my boy/girl twins are identical. I think I could fill a big book with all the odd twin comments I have received!

| May 12, 2009 @ 7:42 pm

3. Kyddryn said,

Your bitches are full of the awesome!

Shade and Sweetwater,
    K

| May 12, 2009 @ 7:51 pm

4. Susan said,

Your twins are adorable. I say tell the ignorant people to simply fuck off. My godchildren are boy and girl twins. When someone asks if they’re identical, our favorite answer is, “No. This one has a penis.” Though I’d really like to tell them to fuck off.

| May 12, 2009 @ 7:51 pm

5. Emily said,

er, I can’t tell which one is which…isn’t one supposed to be smaller than the other?!

| May 12, 2009 @ 7:53 pm

6. mommymae said,

as a fellow twin mom, i saw stick with the snark. your babies are nobodies business.

| May 12, 2009 @ 7:54 pm

7. Kendra said,

They’re just adorable! And I agree, in the pictures they look just the same size. Must be that they’re both just so darn beautiful.

I love the idea of suddenly realizing that they’re not twins: “Oh, my gosh, you’re right, they lived in me at different times! This whole time I’ve been remembering it as one big pregnancy, but really they took turns!”

| May 12, 2009 @ 7:57 pm

8. sugar mama said,

As long as they’re not dressing alike in their 50s–and yes, I’m talking about you ladies in the matching aqua leisuresuits strolling Foxwoods last week–then you’re all set.

Your girls are freaking adorable.

| May 12, 2009 @ 8:03 pm

9. Devon said,

I am impressed by the fact that they will keep the hats on!! My daughter immediately rips her hat off or tries to block me before I get the chance to place the hat on her head!!

And yes they look great in hats! :)

| May 12, 2009 @ 8:31 pm

10. Emmalane said,

These are precious pictures :)

They are adorable!

| May 12, 2009 @ 8:49 pm

11. Angry Julie Monday said,

They are adorable!

| May 12, 2009 @ 8:54 pm

12. WA said,

Just introduce one as Schwarzenegger and the other one as DeVito.

| May 12, 2009 @ 9:27 pm

13. Summer said,

so wait…they are twins? Really? Hmmm….

Are you sure? Are you absolutely sure you birthed them both at the same time and not a couple of years apart?

Weird.

😉

| May 12, 2009 @ 11:02 pm

14. caryanne said,

As a fellow twin mommy, I totally get it. And I have one little one too…so I get the same thing. But the new one last week was that “identical twins are born at the EXACT same moment and paternal twins are born a few minutes apart”…HUH? So the “expert” told me. Guess mine are “paternal” then…

PS – LOVE the hats!! They’re adorable.

| May 12, 2009 @ 11:11 pm

15. geekymummy said,

Cute! I have 2 kids who are 2 years apart, a 3 yr old girl and a 1 yrs old boy, and I get asked if they are twins! I guess because they are in a double stroller?! people are nuts.

| May 12, 2009 @ 11:35 pm

16. Kelly said,

Stephanie,
    Too stinking cute. I’ve been reading your blog a while now and I have to say it’s good to hear someone so honest. I now think a little more about what I say and how I say it to other parents. My son was only 6 wks early so I didn’t experience what you did, but I’m a lot more sensitive to what other parents can be going through thanks to your blog. Though we’re leaving Bangkok in 2 months, come check out my blog to see what it’s like being a parent in Thailand :)

| May 13, 2009 @ 12:30 am

17. Mom101 said,

You just put all of our baby-wearing photos to shame. However I take small consolation in the fact that you did have 2:1 odds over us though.

(And sorry that was me up there signed into my friend’s account. Oops! Accidental blogger impersonation. Is that a felony?)

| May 13, 2009 @ 1:20 am

18. jenB said,

I love babies in hats! All hats all the time! If I could knit I would whip up a couple for you.

xo

| May 13, 2009 @ 2:09 am

The T W I N S are adorable but the 7 pound weight difference probably makes them look like they are not, or kind of, or only somewhat hence the comments you seem to get. At that age 7 pounds is a lot of weight. but they sure are cute.

| May 13, 2009 @ 2:21 am

20. Mommy Melee said,

Hatssssssss. Twinsssssssss. God they’re cute.

One of my best friends here has twin babygirls born 12 hours before my Moose. twomakesfour.com. I got to see them last month and I pretty much died of matching baby girl squee.

Your daughters are absolutely lovely.

| May 13, 2009 @ 3:04 am

21. Suzy said,

Dude, funny post. A hat makes a twin.

| May 13, 2009 @ 3:46 am

22. GingerB said,

Now, don’t make me knit for your girls. Don’t make me arrgghhhh – I might have to now. My girls hate hats. I did get the pumpkin hat on a two month old baby at Halloween but she is so over it. I look forward to having girls two years apart be the same size, but I bet it happens to us, for the same reason as yours.

| May 13, 2009 @ 4:13 am

23. Undomestic Diva said,

They are DARLING is what they are. The “twin” part is just a technicality.

| May 13, 2009 @ 4:30 am

24. Beth said,

People say the dumbest things (and give the dumbest looks!) sometimes… it blows my mind.

Anyway, absolute adorableness with these two! Love it! :)

| May 13, 2009 @ 5:13 am

25. Wicked Step Mom said,

Those people are just jealous because Sadie has the ultimate weight loss plan and they are still too chunky to skinny dip…

As a side note: only 7 lbs different now? Rock on, Sadie! Keep gaining that baby weight sweetie pie!

| May 13, 2009 @ 12:44 pm

26. Maya said,

that just made me laugh so hard! As a mother of fraternal twins girls, trust me- I know your pain. I do not believe in dressing them alike at all, not even in the same outfit but diff colors thing. Also, I too get the look of, “no they cant be twins- since they “look so different”… URGH!!!

And yes- they do look adorable in their hats.

| May 13, 2009 @ 1:15 pm

27. Miss Behavin said,

Awww! The girls are precious!

My sister had twin BOYS (like, 13 yrs ago) and she already had a two-year-old boy when they were born. She used to dress ALL 3 of the boys alike and got asked all the time if she had TRIPLETS!

Some people are just blind as bats, I swear!

| May 13, 2009 @ 1:56 pm

28. Caroline said,

My boys are 16 months apart (2 and 3). People ask me all the time if they’re twins. I think I’ll just start answering “yes” and see what their reaction is!

| May 13, 2009 @ 5:06 pm

29. Karen - Mommy to four sweeties said,

They are so cute!
    I remember when mine were babies how cute they were too. Everytime we took them out at least one person would stop us to comment and tell me a twin story.

| May 13, 2009 @ 7:23 pm

30. Chris Mancini said,

When you have kids, it seems like it gives people permission to say stupid and ignorant things to you. Maybe because they think you’re not going to tell them to fuck off in front of your kids. But I think, the times they are a changin’. Yes, and I’ll see YOU at dorkforestradio.com tomorrow.

| May 14, 2009 @ 4:27 am

31. Wishing 4 One said,

Man if i knitted you would have hats coming via airmail baby. Adorable!!!!

| May 14, 2009 @ 12:30 pm

32. Becky said,

I’ve found myself doing crazy things like coordinating family outfits. My husband hates it but I sure think it looks cute when we are all wearing yellow shirts and khaki pants

| May 14, 2009 @ 7:06 pm

33. Blondie said,

So, what I was trying to say the other day, is that your babies should be exploited. At least a little bit. You’d be selfish if you horded (is that a word?) all that cuteness for yourself! The world needs all the cute baby pictures it can get! So, rock on, and the next person who asks if they’re twins and seems astonished should get a swift kick in the ass for their stupidity.

| May 16, 2009 @ 12:28 am

34. Tracey - Just Another Mommy Blog said,

I love it when people ask parents of obviously fraternal twins “Are they identical?” Especially when it’s a boy/girl pair. Priceless.

| May 16, 2009 @ 12:53 am

35. Surcie said,

People just say stupid stuff, period. That’s because people, in general, are stupid. But that includes none of your readers, of course.

| May 16, 2009 @ 11:16 am

36. Formerly Gracie said,

Dude! People are stupid. I used be asked if my son (half Filipino) and his BFF (blond hair/blue eyes) were twins… Unless there was something about the night my son was conceived that I don’t know about… the answer is “NO”

| May 17, 2009 @ 12:20 am

37. Kelsey said,

Oh those pictures! I love kids in sunhats and yours are adorable.

| May 18, 2009 @ 12:30 am

38. sarah said,

they are so sweet!!!

And what is with people not believing what you say about your own child?! I had people literally ARGUE with me that my son had to be a girl because of “her” beautiful eyelashes. Um, I’ve seen the penis, people! He’s a boy!

People are so weird!

| May 18, 2009 @ 4:43 am

39. Roshni Mitra Chintalapati said,

My close friend also has fraternal twin girls. There was a substantial weight difference between them from birth. Now they are 2 and a half years old and one is still bigger than the other. But, that’s just how it is. Both are healthy..and that’s that!!

| May 20, 2009 @ 9:17 pm

40. MommaNecey said,

7 lb difference! Is THAT ALL YOU’VE GOT?! hahaha…. People think I am SERIOUSLY HIGH when I tell them my girls are twins. One is 41″/36 lbs. The other one is 51″/77 lbs. Yep. And when I say they are both 7, people look at me crazy and ask where the other twin is, thinking that I have twins and a 4 year old. “NO! THEY are twins. -And I have the scar to prove it…OR -I was there. I promise.” They don’t believe me so I laugh to myself at their ignorance. :)

| May 21, 2009 @ 3:59 am

41. Anjanette said,

Little late on commenting but as a mother of twins, I dread that question? People will cross the store and come look at your children when you have twins (like they're aliens or something). Sometimes I want to answer the "are they twins question" with "no, I had a busy couple of years" and let them ponder that….

| September 1, 2009 @ 6:12 pm

# This is the best Marc Jacobs sunglasses article I have ever found on the Internet.

# We share the opinion on D&G sunglasses and I really enjoy reading your article.

# Thank you so much for sharing some great ideas of Alain Mikli glasses with us, they are helpful.

# I like your ideas about Calvin Klein glasses and I hope in the future there can be more bright articles like this from you.

# You have given us some interesting points on Dupont glasses. This is a wonderful article and surely worth reading.

# I love this Seiko glasses article since it is one of those which truly convey useful ideas.

| December 15, 2009 @ 7:04 am