Adventures In Botox

So, you all know I’ve been threatening to do it for awhile. I’m a feminist and from a feminist family, but I personally think Botox is a feminist act! I’m taking power over the forces that can turn back the clocks and make me feel youthful -although, my body is tired my eyes should say “hello, world! Good to see ya! Me, tired? Are you fucking kidding me? I’m great! I only need but forty five minutes of solid sleep a night and I’m perfect!
Anyway, yesterday I had 500 dollars worth of Botox shot into various parts of my face including forehead, top of nose, crows feet, and top of brows. I’m not supposed to see the results for real for about a week. So I will post an after picture next Friday and we will see if it’s all worth it.
Oh, also? Didn’t hurt. I let the woman put some numbing cream on my face – even though my best friend Kiz was all, “Oh no, I’m good. I’m no pussy, I don’t need to be numb” for all of five minutes then she realized her mistake, “Hold on a goddamed minute. I’ve been through childbirth, I don’t need another minute of unnecessary pain.” So she got numbed up to the gills as well. And we both enjoyed ourselves immensely. Well, as much as you can enjoy many needles going into your face in succession.
The woman who did our faces looked good for being in her 60’s or 70’s in a Joan Rivers, could’ve maybe spared the cheek implants and weird chin, oh and lip bulges. But other than that she was fairly sane and well priced.
Wish me and my face that never saw sunscreen as a child luck.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on March 22, 2009 2:27 amUncategorized25 comments

Is your face now frozen in time from shots in so many places?

| March 22, 2009 @ 6:04 am

2. Melissa in Vancouver BC said,

Hey, you do what you gotta do, but – is that your ‘before’ photo? Woman, you are gorgeous! You want to mess with that?!

Your obvious gorgeousness aside – I (as a fellow feminist) support you in doing what you feel you need to do to stay sane and happy in this world. I certainly will NOT tell you that you can’t *be* a feminist and have Botox (or wear lipstick and high heels, or diet, or dye your hair or whatever). But I don’t agree that the *act* of getting Botox or any other act performed to adhere to misogynist beauty standards can be a feminist act – not as long as the misogynist beauty standards that compel us to spend all that $$$ still exist.

The test for me will be when men and women are doing this stuff in equal numbers: maybe then we can say that women are not being oppressed by patriarchal demands that we remain youthful-looking for an unrealistically long time. Until then, though, even if *your* desire for Botox is strictly personal and not because you need to capitulate to external expectations that you remain “hot” at all times, I can consider patronizing the industry that takes such advantage of more vulnerable women as a feminist act.

I’m not calling you a bad feminist: the patriarchy is too big and powerful for one individual to fight alone. Even the most strident radical feminist will end up bending to it in some way (myself very much included) – and there’s no shame in that.

So I’m arguing the definition of words here (“feminist act”), not criticizing you as a woman, feminist, or mother.

Either way, I hope it turns out great and you love the results – looking forward to the after photos!

| March 22, 2009 @ 3:15 pm

3. Melissa in Vancouver BC said,

Sorry – can’t consider, I meant, duh! I guess they put that helpful preview button there for a reason, don’t they?

| March 22, 2009 @ 3:33 pm

Hey Melissa…

Whoa…too many words for a Sunday morning. I am sure you make a good point but after having too much Botox in my forehead, my eyelids are dropping and I am having a hard time reading all those words on the screen.

Just an FYI, I know more men than women who get Botox. They just don’t talk about it like we do. We let our vanity hang out and they keep it as their little secret. I also know plenty of men who wax their backs. BTW, I am all for that one. Actually if they have some wildness down south, I wish they’d get to that too. That’s just unsightly.
    (And p.s., ladies, if you are sportin’ a jungle or an 80’s pizza wedge, you need to take care of that nonsense quick.)

I think I can tell you firsthand, as her BFF and fellow Botox user that Stefanie is in no way oppressed by a patriarchal society. She’s just a simple gal who wants to look cute for the boys. The end.

Kizzle

| March 22, 2009 @ 4:04 pm

One more thing, Melissa…

When you see my before picture, you’ll be applauding my choice to get Botox!!

K

| March 22, 2009 @ 4:08 pm

6. Stefanie said,

Okay, maybe feminist act was too strong a sentiment. I’m sure it’s not feminist at all. What I meant was, I’m still a feminist even though I elected to freeze my wrinkles. But it’s true that having wrinkles is nothing to be ashamed of and it’s only because of our society that we feel wrinkles are not attractive. On the other hand, I’ve seriously aged about 10 years since I had the twins. I just want to remove five of them.

| March 22, 2009 @ 4:14 pm

7. MereCat said,

You’re so pretty. I don’t know why you think you need botox, but I’m all for you getting it. Can’t wait to see the after picture!

| March 22, 2009 @ 5:16 pm

8. Aunt Becky said,

I have every single intention of using any medical interventions I want to make myself as sexy as possible. Otherwise, I’ll be all insecure and then no one will love me.

I kid, I kid.

But not about the plastic surgery. Because I am totally getting botox. And a tummy tuck. Because after three kids, my stomach looks like the jowls of a droopy dog.

| March 22, 2009 @ 7:03 pm

9. Suzy said,

Make sure you monitor the amount the PS gives you. I had to stop going to mine because he kept watering it down, which every one does. Ask to see he cc amount IN THE BOTTLE and they won’t fuck with you as much. At the end, mine was lasting 6 weeks. And dont swallow this load: After a year of regular treatment, you won’t need to go in so much. It should last 2 and a half to 3 months. I MISS BOTOX AND YOU STOLE THAT $500 FROM ME. whore!

| March 22, 2009 @ 7:38 pm

10. CP said,

I think you are stunning even in the before shot. I keep asking my friend Kim to give me a Botox party for my birthday. I’ve gone from anti-plastic surgery to “give me some Botox ASAP” in the past couple of years. I’m turning 39 this summer and I think my wrinkles could take your wrinkles and hand them their little asses.

| March 22, 2009 @ 7:38 pm

11. Angry Julie Monday said,

We’ve all aged since having kids. I see pictures of when my son was 6 months old. I was 30, but I looked about 18.

I see pictures now. I’m 33, I look about 38.

A co-worker says I need some Botox too.

I’m in Orange County, land of Botox.

I might have to say up for some. But first, I got to pay and save up for BlogHer.

| March 22, 2009 @ 8:55 pm

12. mominsanity said,

I have been noticing that I get this wrinkle right in between my eyebrows, just above my nose, whenever I frown or get really upset. I would totally get botox because I look just not happy when that wrinkle is there.

| March 22, 2009 @ 11:55 pm

13. CaraBee said,

If that is the before picture, then holy shinola, you are going to look amazing afterwards! I saw Jenny McCarthy on Oprah last week and she said Botox is GOOD, it’s all about not getting so much that can’t show emotion. To which I say, who needs emotion?

| March 23, 2009 @ 1:34 am

14. Paying off debt said,

Just found your blog through the article in the UK Online Times. Gonna catch up and get up to speed….

| March 23, 2009 @ 2:50 pm

15. Wishing 4 One said,

Wow you look great in that pic!!! I so want to see the after.

I don’t think I could do botox or any other facial surgery, but of course I don’t need it, I’m still young and sexy. LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

| March 23, 2009 @ 7:53 pm

16. How to Party with an Infant said,

Looks great! I could use a Restalyne shot.

| March 24, 2009 @ 12:24 am

17. Catwoman said,

Botox or no botox, I think you rock. And who the hell is your agent, because you’re freaking EVERYWHERE! I’m on a flight to Boston today, reading US Weekly to find out about how Leanne Rimes screwed Eddie Cibrian (can’t blame her, if he told me he wanted me next, I’d totally do it) and I get to the “these outfits suck and we’re going to be judgmental about it” and this one comment about Paula Abdul makes me laugh out loud and I see that it’s your name next to it. What are you, everywhere these days? How do you do it, woman?

| March 24, 2009 @ 4:07 am

18. Wicked Step Mom said,

I have been getting cortisone shots in my foot to “fix” it for about 3 months straight. A needle to the face would totally freak me the hell out!

| March 24, 2009 @ 1:28 pm

19. nikki said,

Botox is just nuts! It’s poison being injected in to your face! To each her own though… :)

I had some awards to give away over at my blog, and you get one.

| March 24, 2009 @ 5:36 pm

20. Sadako said,

Botox scares me, but hope you enjoy the benefits. I also think you looked wonderful before!

| March 24, 2009 @ 7:31 pm

21. LuLu and Moxley's Mom said,

Poison schmoison. I’d pump lighter fluid into my head if it worked wonders like Botox. Can’t wait to hear what you think of results.

| March 25, 2009 @ 3:29 am

22. the mama bird diaries said,

As i get closer and closer to 40, i’m definitely interested in Botox. Look forward to hearing more about your experience and seeing the “one week later” shot.

And by the way, you look fabulous anyway.

| March 25, 2009 @ 3:28 pm

23. gmcountrymama said,

I of course think that you are gorgeous in this picture and always. If I was going to be on television, I would definately consider Botox. I can’t wait to see the after pic.

| March 26, 2009 @ 2:10 am

24. carrie said,

I’ve been kinda against Botox but just the mere mention of being able to lie on a table in peace and quiet (even though there are needles involved) makes me a little more prone…I’d pay damn good money for that!

Not that I think you needed it, but I can’t wait for the “after” pics lovely!

| March 26, 2009 @ 6:10 am

25. Lisa said,

I can’t wait for the chance to get Botox!

| March 27, 2009 @ 2:26 am