Til Tuesday

Hey friends, aquaintences, fellow Atlanta Housewives lovers and everyone else, today may be my last post until I take miss Sadie in for her G-Tube on Tuesday. I’m scared shitless for no apparent reason. Christ, people deal with much worse every day of the week and I’m starting to bore myself with my narcissisting back and forth on this issue. Okay, I take that back. It’s not narcissitic to want what’s best for your child but it is tedious to go over and over the same information looking for an exact medical science answer when there isn’t one. Why is Sadie IUGR? Why isn’t she growing? Why is she so darn cute? We don’t have the answers to these mysteries at our disposal or I wouldn’t be going through this.

Stress is at a nice high level around our house the last few days. My book is due this weekend, pre-op appointment is tomorrow, I had the stomach flu and so did Sadie and Mattie for three days and worst of all, my eyebrows are at Def-con 1. Ben Stiller’s can eat my dust.

Luckily, I now have a Blackberry. Yeah, I’m all Hollywood and shit. So if you care to email me your good thoughts, gossip, money, vicidon or whatever…feel free. And thanks to everyone EVERYONE who has emailed me privately or commented here with good wishes and advice or just a shoulder to cry on or sympathy or just to check in. I always appreciate it.

Is it just me or does that Benjamin Buttons movie look boring as a pine tree?

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on December 4, 2008 10:01 pmUncategorized41 comments

1. Putty said,

To be fair, pine trees are not that boring. You have to wonder “How do they keep their needles, even in winter? Crazy!” Benjamin Button, on the other hand, looks plain creepy. On many levels.

| December 4, 2008 @ 10:52 pm

2. Stefanie said,

But Putty, you know you will be seeing it. Christmas Day and Benjamin Buttons. Two great tastes that go great together.

| December 4, 2008 @ 10:54 pm

If Sadie is perfectly proportioned why can’t she just be a small baby who grows up to be a small person? She looks plump and happy in the picture in the sink.

| December 4, 2008 @ 11:16 pm

4. alperen said,

thnks

| December 4, 2008 @ 11:29 pm

5. Stefanie said,

Dear Anonymous, that is the question of the freakin’ year! I don’t know. But the best answer I can get is that her own little curve is actually slowing down and if she continues to gain weight too slowly during the critical brain development time it could put her at risk for bigger problems. I’ve weighed both sides and it seems the surgery is the lesser of the choices I might feel guilt over later. I can always stop using the tube. I can’t regain her cognitive abilities if they’ve been compromised.

| December 4, 2008 @ 11:30 pm

6. Stefanie said,

Oh and she’s not perfectly proportioned. Her weight is not on par with her height and her growth has stalled (height wise) she’s losing ground.

| December 4, 2008 @ 11:31 pm

7. Cheryl Lage said,

Hoping that the procedure just sets everything to going in the right direction…and the stresses can end. You all deserve that.

Re: Benjamin Button…so he’s reverse aging? Getting hotter (and younger) as he in theory gets older? Please Lord I hope he dies (in the movie) before we get into the pedophilia “he’s so hot and getting hotter all the time” zone.

Will be keeping good thoughts Monday, Stef. Hang in there.

| December 5, 2008 @ 12:11 am

8. Amanda said,

Don’t second guess anymore. Do the g-tube, watch her grow, and be proud of the tough mama decision you made. You are earning another stripe. You can put it next to the stripe you earned when you got the floating poo out of the tube.

| December 5, 2008 @ 12:51 am

9. Backpacking Dad said,

I saw that Benjamin Buttons movie already when it was called “The Once and Future King” except that it was a book and Brad’s part was played by Merlin and Cate’s part was played by King Arthur and some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at him.

| December 5, 2008 @ 12:58 am

10. Olivia's mommy said,

You’ve made the tough decision to do what’s best for your daughter. Now, all you have to do is be strong for her and watch her thrive. Good for you for being a strong (and slightly nutty) mommy!

| December 5, 2008 @ 1:06 am

11. MereCat said,

Hey Hollywood! Good luck with your deadline this weekend! I can’t wait to read your new book! Whoopeeeeee! And Great luck with the G-tube. I’ll be thinking about you guys and waiting anxiously for a report.

| December 5, 2008 @ 1:37 am

12. April said,

it’s always a big deal when it’s your child. as it SHOULD be. i freak out over hang nails. you should’ve seen me the first time one of my kids needed surgery. talk about a damn mess. ugh. you’re so entitled to be a stressed out disaster right now. i pity the mommy who doesn’t get her panties in a wad over these things. she shouldn’t be a mommy. best of luck and i hope everything turns out wonderfully.

| December 5, 2008 @ 2:09 am

13. Count Mockula said,

I would be scared, too.

| December 5, 2008 @ 3:23 am

14. Rachael said,

At first I was absolutely positive that I did not want to see that movie, but I am reconsidering. I feel like it can only end in sadness. Anyhow, I just want to wish you amazing luck with the weekend and the g-tube thing. It will be okay.

| December 5, 2008 @ 4:42 am

15. Beth said,

Thinking of you and your Little Sadie! Hopefully the stress will lift once the procedure is done.

By the way… I just started reading “Naptime is the New Happy Hour” (great title and book cover, by the way) and can NOT put it down. You have become of my favorite writers!

| December 5, 2008 @ 6:06 am

16. heather... said,

Yeah, Sadie definitely isn’t perfectly proportioned. You should SEE the ass on that kid! Holy ba donka donk!

| December 5, 2008 @ 6:54 am

17. D. said,

I’m sending you and Sadie lots of good wishes. With all of these people pulling for her, it is almost like she is one of the Brangalina babies, she’s so popular!

| December 5, 2008 @ 12:59 pm

18. Minnie said,

delurking to say that I’m sending warm thoughts your way.

| December 5, 2008 @ 2:28 pm

19. Lil Mouse said,

good luck with everything. reading your blog is keeping me going. here i have a healthy newborn who eats like a horse and i somehow find a way to whine about how tough everything is for me. you keep me grounded.

| December 5, 2008 @ 2:30 pm

20. Rachel said,

I never comment since you already get millions of comments, but I am wishing you and Sadie good luck on Tuesday. I don’t know if you believe in prayer, but I’ll say one for you guys too.

| December 5, 2008 @ 2:34 pm

21. Carolyn...Online said,

You are brave and strong to do the scary thing for your kid. The thing that you’ve researched and lamented and worried over but that you feel is the right thing. So go be brave and scared and let us all know when it’s over.

| December 5, 2008 @ 2:59 pm

22. Cat said,

Good luck to you and yours and DOWN with the stomach flu!

| December 5, 2008 @ 4:29 pm

23. CaraBee said,

Yes, boring, but it’s two hours of Brad Pitt. As long as he spends at least part of the show shirtless, it will be watchable.

| December 5, 2008 @ 6:28 pm

24. Aunt Becky said,

Brad Pitt annoys the piss out of me. But I’m sending you blessings and love, because you DON’T annoy the piss out of me.

Give Sadie a smootch for me.

| December 5, 2008 @ 6:40 pm

25. Amanda said,

good luck, girl. I hope the next few days move quickly for you and I know everything will be OK. Doesn’t make it any easier for you though…thinking of you!

| December 6, 2008 @ 1:01 am

Sadie is at risk. You have exhausted every other possibility. The G-tube will help her. It’s the right thing to do.

| December 6, 2008 @ 1:02 am

27. LiteralDan said,

Good luck, and I’m hoping/betting everything will go perfectly fine, though you can’t do much about your normal concerns.

As for Benjamin Buttons, I can’t say how boring the movie looks, but the short story on which it’s based was great. However, it was just that– a short story.

It seems they fleshed it out to a full-length movie, and that will probably invite so many more logical problems and odd situations that it just might be the next Ishtar.

Good luck to you, Sadie, the rest of your family, and Mr. Buttons!

| December 6, 2008 @ 10:01 am

28. Wishing 4 One said,

Thinking of you and Sadie. And i totally agree Benjamin Buttons looks bad, really bad.

| December 6, 2008 @ 3:52 pm

29. CharmingDriver said,

Hugs-You’ve done the hardest thing in making the decision, it’s all downhill from here(in a positive way, I mean to say!!) and there is nothing but baby fattening and stress relieving to look forward to for you and your family.

Chin up, momma. It’s all going to be fine.

| December 6, 2008 @ 7:38 pm

30. Surcie said,

Hey, Stefanie! Wow, it sounds like you have a whole lot on your plate right now. I hope everything goes smoothly.

| December 7, 2008 @ 1:31 am

31. supermom said,

You have every right to be stressed. I’ll be thinking of you and her

| December 7, 2008 @ 10:39 am

32. Pat Montgomery said,

Just look forward to the day when this is far behind you and you are giving advice to someone else who is going through this with her daughter.

It is hard to have the courage to do what is right for your child sometimes–good for you for making the decision. Hopefully they will find out what is actually wrong and be able to treat that soon!

Love and prayers to you and your family.

| December 7, 2008 @ 10:56 pm

33. Piccinigirl said,

just wanted to tell you I’m thinking of you and I will NOT be seeing Benjamin Buttons..at least not in the movie theatre. :)

good luck Sadie, tell your mom to pack some vodka for the waiting room. Um, for her..not you.

| December 8, 2008 @ 7:01 pm

34. RhoRho said,

Sending positive thoughts out to Hollywood for Lil Sadie. She’s obviously one bad-ass baby. She’ll kick this shit.

| December 8, 2008 @ 7:37 pm

35. Lisa said,

Good luck tomorrow! I would try to come up with something remotely clever like everyone else here but I have yet another poopy diaper to deal with. Thank God I have a baby or that would be really gross…

| December 8, 2008 @ 8:45 pm

36. heartfull said,

I know it will go well today. I’ll have you guys in my thoughts all day.

For the record, I have been reading your blog for quite a while now and I totally agree with your decision. It was a tough one, I’m sure, but the right one. If I were the mommy, I would hate to opt for surgery but I would also ask myself “who can I trust”. You can trust your gut and you can trust the multiple, well educated medical specialists you have consulted with. Both of these sources are telling you the same thing.

The only arguments you have received have been from anonymous commentors. For God’s sake – they might be high school dropouts missing half their teeth and barely able to peck out a sentence or two. If nothing else, we can definitely say they have NO medical training, do not know Sadie’s medical history, and have never even laid eyes on her other than the deliciously adorable ones you have posted here. Definitely unqualified to offer any advice, me thinks.

| December 9, 2008 @ 1:47 pm

37. liz.mccarthy said,

hope the surgery went well, now you welcome to gtube world. let me know if you have questions or if I can help, not sure if you still have my phone number or not. How is S tolerating gtube feeds? I’m hoping for not vomit!

Liz