Sadie, Sadie Post-Op Lady

So Sadie is safe and sound and we’re going to be released from Cedars-Sinai within the next hour or two. It’s been stressful, which goes without saying. Probably the worst part was holding her in recovery while she was coming out of anesthesia. The poor baby just cried and cried and just about gave me a nervous breakdown. But, really, what doesn’t almost give me a nervous breakdown? Right about now aren’t you just glad you’re not married to me?

I took Sadie in myself on Tuesday so that Jon could stay with the other kids and we had to be at the hospital at 6 a.m. Once Sadie was taken back for surgery, I surprised myself by not crying. Yes, I manned up and decided to be a big girl. A mama. The funny thing is, I’ve had plenty of surgery myself (all elective of course, just for the drugs) but having your child have surgery is completely different. You become the person waiting and worrying instead of the person that other people are waiting and worrying about. Luckily, I found companionship with two other couples waiting for their grown children to come out of surgery as well. We sat around breaking Hippa laws right and left and it took my mind off of Sadie for the hour she was in there.

Once we got back to our room, Jon showed up and we hovered over Sadie while she dozed off and on in a Morphine haze. Eventually I left to go take over Matilda and Elby while Jon spent the night on the World’s Most Likely To Cause Future Back Surgery Cot. I’m not kidding, this thing sunk like a hammock if you so much as put a magazine on it to rest.

Yesterday I came back first thing and eventually took over for Jon and spent the night. When Sadie was feeling better we read Hand Hand Fingers Thumb about 40 million times because I’d only brought two other books which she didn’t care about.

She’s been fed a lot through the tube already and is taking the feedings like a champ. I have big hopes that this will put some weight on her and end the fulltime concentration on getting nutrition into her.

Okay, we’re about to pull out her IV so I need to go hold her hand. Then we’re on our way home.

Thanks for all the support.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on December 11, 2008 6:14 pmUncategorized47 comments

1. Danielle said,

I come around here but don’t comment much-

I’m glad she came through the surgery okay. And Yay! you for not crying.

Hope getting home goes smooth and she gets a nice little layer of chubalishious-ness on her. (yeah, I made that word up)

| December 11, 2008 @ 7:11 pm

2. Mamique said,

So relieved it all went well. Hang in the Mama! You know we’re all rooting for ya!

| December 11, 2008 @ 7:12 pm

3. Amanda said,

So glad to hear that the surgery went well! You must be very happy to get the hell out of there. Go Sadie!

| December 11, 2008 @ 7:27 pm

So glad that you went through her surgery well.

| December 11, 2008 @ 7:31 pm

5. Susan said,

You are SUCH a good mom. I can’t begin to imagine what you’re going through and I wish you all the best!

| December 11, 2008 @ 9:08 pm

6. CaraBee said,

What a relief that it went well! Both for Sadie and you. From here on out, you all are golden.

| December 11, 2008 @ 9:38 pm

7. Baby B said,

I’ll be crossing my fingers Sadie starts to gain weight ASAP…

| December 11, 2008 @ 9:43 pm

8. Pat Montgomery said,

First. let me say to Danielle that I love the word chubalishinous!

Second, I am so glad things went well. Somehow we always have the strength we need where our kids are concerned.

| December 11, 2008 @ 10:11 pm

9. Cheryl Lage said,

Aces, Sister.

Get everyone home and bedded down and then have yourself a big ol’ “held it together longer than anyone should have to” maternal adrenaline come-down cry.

(and then a glass of wine to toast…you all are on the path to less stress–I’m convinced of it!)

| December 11, 2008 @ 11:20 pm

10. Aunt Becky said,

I remember the post-anesthesia shakes after Ben had surgery. My heart has never broken harder.

So glad that she’s through it all and nearly home. Now, pass the drugs.

| December 11, 2008 @ 11:31 pm

11. CENA - My.M.Spot said,

i’m so glad for you that she is doing okay. i freak out when my kids get paper cuts, so i can’t even begin to imagine what you’re going through, but i can certainly sympathize… you and your family are in my prayers.

| December 11, 2008 @ 11:34 pm

12. Giovanna Diaries said,

I know how you feel. Both my guys had surgerys when they were babies. Not easy!
    At least it’s over and now everyone can go home and recoop.
    Glad she and you are doing well.

| December 11, 2008 @ 11:38 pm

13. Sandra said,

Yay for Sadie! What a brave girl. Now she’ll grow big and strong.

| December 11, 2008 @ 11:39 pm

14. KLS said,

So glad for you. I hope that you can now finally get to experience the fun parts of Sadie’s babyhood without the burden of always worrying about her weight.

| December 12, 2008 @ 12:27 am

15. Rachael said,

I'm so glad that the surgery went well! I'm sure it has been a very tough few days for you! Hope the recovery & feeding continue to go well!

| December 12, 2008 @ 1:23 am

16. April said,

you’ll do great. keep us posted!

p.s. saw you on dr. phil :-)

| December 12, 2008 @ 1:25 am

17. Anita Doberman said,

Glad all went well – hope the recovery at home goes just as well :)

| December 12, 2008 @ 2:12 am

18. anymommy said,

I am so glad. Thinking about you all.

| December 12, 2008 @ 2:14 am

19. Count Mockula said,

I’m so glad to hear the surgery went well. Hope she starts gaining!

| December 12, 2008 @ 2:15 am

20. Laura said,

I’m so glad everything turned out okay. We may be following in your foot steps one day soon and I hope I can wear big girl panties just like you. Grow baby grow!

| December 12, 2008 @ 2:58 am

i have been thinking about you for the last few days = i am glad things went as well as they could have.
    keep us posted!

| December 12, 2008 @ 3:08 am

22. Beth said,

Thinking of you and little Sadie!

| December 12, 2008 @ 3:55 am

23. deezee said,

thanks for the update. hope all goes well from here on out!

| December 12, 2008 @ 4:03 am

24. MetroDad said,

Hey you! I’ve been out of the blogosphere for awhile and am just catching up with what’s going on with you. I’m so glad everything worked out ok. I can’t even begin to imagine how scary it’s been for you lately. Thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

| December 12, 2008 @ 4:04 am

25. Betty and Boo's Mommy said,

Post-anesthesia is hell, at least with my kids (and myself). I’m so glad to hear that Sadie is doing well. Hang in there … you’re doing great, and you’re a great mom.

| December 12, 2008 @ 4:12 am

26. CharmingDriver said,

Good job, Mom!!!

| December 12, 2008 @ 4:34 am

27. Jo said,

Sounds like things went pretty good. Praying the rest of her recovery is just as uneventful.

| December 12, 2008 @ 6:38 am

28. D. said,

I was hoping you would give us an update… I’m so glad that things went well and you both made it in one piece! Let’s hope that Sadie is at sumo weight in no time!

| December 12, 2008 @ 1:08 pm

29. Cat said,

Whew, breathing a sigh of relief.

| December 12, 2008 @ 1:47 pm

30. Wicked Step Mom said,

I am glad she made it through okay. I hope things are on the upturn.

| December 12, 2008 @ 3:20 pm

31. Emily said,

like I said before…g-buttons are phat! Glad everything went well-
    Emily

| December 12, 2008 @ 4:39 pm

32. RhoRho said,

Honestly, when my kid so much as pukes I can’t take it. You are seriously amazing.

| December 12, 2008 @ 4:43 pm

YEAH!!!! glad it is done and glad she is ok. SCARY.

| December 12, 2008 @ 7:37 pm

34. HB said,

Sadie, you did the trick! Not every girl can find herself a… That’s all I’ve got. Sorry.

I’ve been lurking for a while but don’t know many people who know Funny Girl so I was compelled to comment. So glad to hear that Sadie is doing well! I hope to continue to read good news about her. And maybe more lyrics from musicals, too.

| December 12, 2008 @ 9:16 pm

35. Francesca Fine Jewelry said,

You must be so relieved that everything went well! How awesome! I hope everything continues to go well for Sadie and she gains weight!
    Jean

| December 12, 2008 @ 10:59 pm

36. Lisa said,

My two little girls had their tonsils removed last year on the same day. I really didn’t have a choice because they had constant strep and seriously enlarged tonsils.

I was a mess worrying about them. After going home I would get up in the night with a flashlight just to make sure no one was bleeding. I really should have been on Xanax.

I’m glad your baby is doing well.

| December 12, 2008 @ 11:32 pm

37. courtney said,

You’re so strong and it sounds like Sadie is a champ, too. I hope this works for you guys!

| December 13, 2008 @ 3:39 am

38. momomax said,

hey. didn’t know you were having surgery. that must have sucked. my baby girl had two hernias that we repaired surgically when she was six weeks old. it was horrible watching her passed out during recovery. the surgery lasted thirty minutes though. it seemed like 48 hours instead.

I wish I had paid attention sooner. I’m glad to hear she’s “eating”.

| December 13, 2008 @ 4:37 am

39. Bec said,

I’m so glad the surgery went well. I *have* heard good things about the g-tube in terms of less stress which has got to be a good thing.

I hope she starts putting on weight like a little trooper.

| December 13, 2008 @ 4:43 am

40. Heather of the EO said,

My one year old just had surgery last week (brain shunt put in for hydrocephalus) I just felt such a kinship with your story. I suppose that makes sense, with both of our kiddos being in surgery recently. But I just love how your humor shines through in a situation that could cause a nervous breakdown. You should have seen me. BIG ball of stress. But it’s amazing the calm that lies underneath it all as you wait and know your child is in good hands. I’m so glad it went well overall. I HATED the coming out of it stage too–awful awful. Best of luck to you and yours,
    Heather

| December 13, 2008 @ 3:28 pm

41. Ann Nagle said,

You’re on your way! Glad that part’s over.

You sound really great. Keep us posted.

| December 13, 2008 @ 10:29 pm

42. Mommy Melee said,

I think Sadie would dig the Moby Wrap. It’s actually “approved” for kids up to 35 pounds but if I stuck my 35 pound toddler in it I’d A. look like a retard and B. fall over and die. So I’m guessing not so much with the 2.5 and up crowd.

It’s surprisingly comfortable though.

Like fourteen people thought he was a girl at a Christmas gathering thing tonight though.

Thank you for the update on Sadie. I’ve been reading/fretting. My nephew had to have sinus and ear surgery around that age and I couldn’t imagine what his parents were going through. My heart goes out to you.

| December 14, 2008 @ 2:08 am

43. Carey said,

Thanks for the update… glad to hear everything went smoothly!! I hope this does the trick!!

| December 14, 2008 @ 6:03 pm

44. Rebecca said,

Sadie looks fantastic! You just hang in there – Nothing like good karma! Next year you’ll be posting about how fat she is…and that will be a good thing.

| December 15, 2008 @ 5:41 pm