Dr. Phil

Hey, I’m taking Sadie in to the hospital tomorrow but waaaaay more importantly, I’m finally going to be on Dr. Phil on Wednesday. I suggest you all watch so that the rating skyrocket, I get asked back for another segment, and make a ton of money with which I fly everyone out to Blogher this year. It could happen.

Wednesday – December 10, 2008
Obsessions?When does a hobby become an obsession? Dr. Phil’s guests say they are definitely obsessed! First, meet a group of women who can’t get enough of a new craze called reborning — crafting infant dolls that are so lifelike, people mistake them for real babies. Some spend thousands of dollars on their dolls, as if they were real children. Author and comedienne Stefanie Wilder-Taylor spends some time with the doting doll lovers during a party you have to see to believe!

The Dr. Phil show sent me to Maryland to interview the doll people and hopefully hilarity ensued. Then I went on the show and had to gently point out to the doll lady leader that she might be a little bit whack-a-doodle. It was all in good fun.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on December 8, 2008 11:09 pmUncategorized43 comments

1. Rachel said,

Finally! I thought I missed it or something. How in the world did you get mixed up with doll makers? Although I’ve never actually met you, somehow I don’t think that hobby fits you.

| December 8, 2008 @ 11:34 pm

2. Aunt Becky said,

Don’t lie, Stef. Those doll makers are your BFF, I know it.

And I’m totally watching. Perhaps I will get TiVo so I can watch it over and over.

Does that sound creepy? Good.

| December 9, 2008 @ 12:45 am

3. adlibby said,

I don’t know which is creepier, Dr. Phil or those dolls… I think it’s a toss up. But have fun!

| December 9, 2008 @ 12:50 am

4. Diane said,

Good luck tomorrow with Sadie! I hope you both do well and she gets what she needs from the procedure.

I’ve never watched Dr. Phil, but if I figure out when and what channel it’s on, I’ll watch. Creepy doll people with fake babies…sort of more like a halloween episode!?!

| December 9, 2008 @ 3:10 am

5. MereCat said,

That is insanely cool! I can’t believe you are going to be on Dr. Phil. And that you are interviewing what??? How did you not bust a gut laughing? Ok, ok, I shall not judge. I have to see it. I have to see what you freakin’ say! Awesome fun.

And much, much congratulations. That’s a big hit.

More seriously for a moment. Thinking about Sadie. Let us know how its going, k?

| December 9, 2008 @ 4:00 am

6. Backpacking Dad said,

I’m not sure I can watch.

I don’t know if I could ever forgive you for making me watch Dr. Phil.

:}

| December 9, 2008 @ 4:03 am

7. Count Mockula said,

Good luck tomorrow. I’m sure it’ll go fine.

I wish I was home when Dr. Phil was on.

| December 9, 2008 @ 4:30 am

8. LiteralDan said,

That sounds like an episode of Dr. Phil I might actually watch. As in, I’m not just saying that.

Those dolls are a level of creepiness I never knew could exist, and always advertised in full-page print ads, the better to creep me the F out.

| December 9, 2008 @ 5:29 am

9. D. said,

I just watched a show about those doll people- how weird!! I can’t wait to see what you have to say about them.

Good luck Sadie, still thinking of you and sending you lots of good thoughts!

| December 9, 2008 @ 1:10 pm

10. nikki said,

Dr. Phil or the doll-people? Who can out-creep whom???

| December 9, 2008 @ 1:33 pm

11. goodfather said,

Good luck! I personally make baby dolls of Dr. Phil, complete with facial hair. Just sayin’.

| December 9, 2008 @ 3:23 pm

12. Threeundertwo said,

ROFL at goodfather. Now I’ve got that scary image in my head.

Wish I could catch it. We don’t have tv. I think those doll people are insane.

| December 9, 2008 @ 3:56 pm

13. Cat said,

That sounds like so much fun! I never watch Dr Phil, but I may have to set my DVR for this one.

| December 9, 2008 @ 5:27 pm

14. Steph said,

OMG, I thought you were going to say you were one of those doll people. I saw them on the today show – they’re so creepy. More power to ya for meeting with those women and not laughting too much. I hope you didn’t show them pics of your real babies – that might have been too much for them.

| December 9, 2008 @ 5:50 pm

15. Y said,

I have been waiting for this. I CAN NOT WAIT.

| December 9, 2008 @ 7:53 pm

16. Giovanna Diaries said,

That’s so cool! I’m gonna DVR it. Congrats.

| December 9, 2008 @ 8:31 pm

17. CP said,

Good luck today with Sadie- I hope and trust everything will go perfectly.

I am SO DVRing Dr Phil tomorrow. Cannot wait to see this!

| December 9, 2008 @ 8:52 pm

18. How to Party with an Infant said,

Cool! Can’t wait to see.

| December 9, 2008 @ 10:48 pm

19. CaraBee said,

It troubles me that the creepy doll ladies are here in my home state. I’ll give Dr. Phil a go, but only for you. I’m a day late, but I hope everything went well with Miss Sadie.

| December 9, 2008 @ 11:15 pm

20. Catwoman said,

I’ve set the Tivo already. How freaking cool is that!

And I was thinking of you and Sadie today, hopefully all went well…

| December 9, 2008 @ 11:16 pm

21. help4newmoms said,

I can’t wait to see the show. I am sure you will be awesomely funny. Best wishes with your family and a big kiss for Sadie.

| December 10, 2008 @ 12:48 am

22. AMomTwoBoys said,

I NEVER watch Dr. Phil, but I’ll definitely have to make an exception for you. OMG, I can’t wait.

Hope Sadie’s doing okay! And that you’ve been able to sneak a flask into her hospital room.

:-)

| December 10, 2008 @ 1:23 am

23. April said,

oh, those dolls are SO SO SO creepy! looking forward to catching your segment :-)

| December 10, 2008 @ 2:08 am

24. Heather of the EO said,

Um…the doll thing is totally freaking me out. But I’ll be watching now that I’ve heard of this (and you–you’re a delight by the way)

| December 10, 2008 @ 2:20 am

25. mommymae said,

thinking of you tonight, knowing you’re caring for your baby.

and dr. phil? totally on the dvr.

| December 10, 2008 @ 4:13 am

Why do you all think that people who like dolls are creepy or is it the ones who make them?

| December 10, 2008 @ 4:45 am

27. Karen Sugarpants said,

ROFL! I will not miss that show for anything. Enduring Dr. PILL’s voice will be difficult…but for you..can’t wait!

| December 10, 2008 @ 4:54 am

28. Life Like Little Loves said,

This dolls are OOAK works of art, not an obsession. There are many “normal” customers and artists that don’t treat these dolls like their own “real” babies. I am a reborn artist, and enjoy making these dolls…just wait after the show, you will want one too :-).

| December 10, 2008 @ 2:31 pm

29. Georgeanne said,

I’ve seen much creepier things that people collect. The artists that reborn treat the vinyl doll like a blank canvas in which to create beautiful art. There is no obsession involved.

| December 10, 2008 @ 3:54 pm

I am watching my TiVo’d Dr. Phil (hey, I’m a fan, so what?!) and there you are! How fun for you! I’m glad your book got a nice still shot for everyone to see, too. You did great!!
    -DQ

| December 10, 2008 @ 6:14 pm

31. CharmingDriver said,

I hope Miss Sadie is doing well!!

Saw you on Dr. Phil – Sadie has a pretty mom!! Great job!!

Creeepy creeeeeepy dolls – Shudder. Someone offered to ”make”or ”create” one of our son Jackson after he died and I couldn’t say Um, no, thanks, no, no, please no fast enough.

| December 10, 2008 @ 10:17 pm

32. Leslie said,

How exciting – I remember when I saw you on the Today Show – you looked fab!

I haven’t been around lately and I was hoping that I would hear that Sadie gained like 20 lbs or something so I’m bummed to hear that’s not the case. But you’re right – she is damn cute and happy! I hope all goes well with her proceedure. My little guy is having surgery on the 15th at only 20 mos so I’m right there with you -pulling out my hair too 😉

| December 11, 2008 @ 12:01 am

33. Kelsey said,

I hope things went well yesterday. I watched the doll bit on Dr. Phil – you were so respectful, how did you keep a straight face?

| December 11, 2008 @ 2:53 am

I didn’t think you were respectful at all. You seemed determined to try and make an art form into something childish and creepy. That seems kind of strange to me from someone who makes her living telling jokes and making fun of people…isn’t that kind of childish? Do you also find sculptures and paintings creepy? How about stuffed animals? And those scary doll parts in the cupboard…I hope you never have to step foot near a toy factory, it would likely scare the crap out of you!

I’m off to make some creepy dolls now because making and selling them allows me to be home with my children.

| December 11, 2008 @ 2:23 pm

35. Kyla said,

Hope the surgery went well!!

| December 11, 2008 @ 5:32 pm

36. adsiz said,

thnks

| December 12, 2008 @ 12:01 am

What in the world is creepy about a baby doll?

I love making these dolls look as much like a real baby as I can. I also sculpt babies to look like a real-life child – they’re portrait dolls and no one who’s ever seen them thinks there’s anything in the least bit creepy about them.

I think you were insulting with the artist with whom you spoke and it looked like you were trying to make the story bigger or funnier by exaggerating things she said.

These silly shows are all about the ratings – and therefore they exploit the neuroses of the tiny minority who are truly obsessed with these dolls. (or any other hobby)

These shows don’t reveal much (if anything) about the talent, time, money and skill that go into turning a blank vinyl kit into a doll with very human-like skin, hair and weight. I’m glad the artist at least got a chance to get a word in edgewise and didn’t allow the show to make her look like some kind of freakazoid.

| December 12, 2008 @ 12:11 am

38. Backpacking Dad said,

“What in the world is creepy about a baby doll?”

There’s a phenomenon called “The Uncanny Valley” that might help explain what needs little explanation to many people. As artificial creatures are made more and more human like (think a progression from R2-D2 to C3-PO to the Terminator) people are able to identify with them more and more easily.

On a graph the y-axis representing the increasing or decreasing levels of identification between artifical creatures and the human observer slowly rises like a ramp. But between a certain type of creature and human beings on the x-axis there is a sharp drop in the identification. This is the Uncanny Valley, in which things are too lifelike, but not actually alive. They provoke no clean response, no “That thing is definitely inert” or “That thing is definitely alive, human, and predictable”, but instead a mixed response.

Things that fall into the Uncanny Valley are creepy. Not everyone has an Uncanny Valley of the same dimensions, but for many people, for most(?) people, those dolls fall into the Uncanny Valley.

| December 12, 2008 @ 2:10 am

39. margalit said,

I saw the show and I gotta say, those dolls were SO creepy that I don’t think I could have just sat there and played nice. I’m not a Dr Phil fan (to say the least) but I forced myself to watch it to the very end just for you!

| December 12, 2008 @ 2:28 am

40. Leah said,

I KNEW that was you! My head just whipped up when he said the name of the book. Well done with the whole “not being terribly judgmental” thing. I actually thought it was pretty harmless, but super-creepy. To each their own! You looked great on TV and I was impressed that you had no visible food stains on your clothes. :)

| December 12, 2008 @ 9:07 pm

Ok, this is really F’ed up, in a good way. I was on the verge of having a nervous breakdown and was not about to let my co-workers witness it, so I called in and lounged in my jammies all day. SO, I was watching some TV and was not about to get off the couch to fish the remote out from underneath it,(don’t aske me how it got there, who knows, really?) when Dr Phil came on. I watched it. I did. When the doll segment came on I could not believe what I was seeing, but it really made me laugh…only because at that moment I realized that I was not the most pathetic person in the entire world,( thoughts that fed my nervous breakdown, btw).. I thought Dr Phil was SURELY going to side with you and maybe tell the lady she needed some guidance, but he didn’t, and the comments that ensued really cracked me up. I found it creepy as well, and at the same time couldn’t stop thinking of how much your mannerisms reminded me of all 4 of my sisters, and perhaps of myself as well. Anywho, it’s just really strange because i never, ever watch Dr Phil, and on the occasion that I have caught his show, i can promise you that I have never laughed at any of his guests.. so what i am trying to get at is, I just think it’s so strange that one day I’m admiring a funny woman on Dr Phil, and the next I am googling “what should I make for dinner” and I wind up here, only to find out that I am laughing again at the lady that i got a kick out of on Dr Phil! I don’t know, I’m a bit tired and a little hungover so maybe i’m making a bigger deal out of this than someone else might, but who knows. Funny reading, and I hope all is well with your daughter.

-Heather E. from wisconsin, don’tcha know

| December 13, 2008 @ 9:51 pm

42. samed said,

thnks

| January 9, 2009 @ 2:38 pm

43. Schmutzie said,

That was you? I saw that episode. Congratulations!

| January 13, 2009 @ 7:49 pm