Christmas with the Jew

There’s nothing I love more as a Jew than Christmas. It’s such a guilty pleasure to help Elby bake cookies for Santa, decorate the tree and drink gallons of eggnog. You see I never got to have a tree when I was growing up because although we weren’t “that Jewish” according to my parents, having a tree would somehow just be wrong. Eventually we were “that Jewish” and then Christmas ended for good. So when I was eighteen and on my own my first order of business was purchasing a humongous Christmas tree with my equally bad Jew friend Heidi. We wrapped each other gifts and entertained some random guys we met at a grocery store with festive holiday cocktails. Since then I’ve had some form of Christmas every year. But this year was particularly fun.

Sadie got a plate. She said it was what she always wanted. But, please, no food on it!

Mattie’s going to be rollin’ with her homies on this hot new princess ride on thingy.

Elby just about lost it when she realized that Santa really does read his mail, unlike her parents.

“I mean, really, how does this bearded fellow know me soooo well. He just gets it!!!! I think I love him.”

Just to give you some perspective on Sadie petiteness so you don’t think I’ve forgotten what this blog is all about. Yeah, tiny. But hopefully growing. That’s all I wanted for Christmas this year.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on December 28, 2008 7:27 pmUncategorized28 comments

1. Rachel said,

She may be tiny, but she is freaking adorable. Like a little toy yorkie. But for her health’s sake, and your sanity, I hope she continues to fatten up. Happy New Year!

| December 28, 2008 @ 8:09 pm

2. Dana said,

I have a tiny baby too… She’ll be one on the first, and she weighs eighteen pounds. Even though she was born full term and at a normal weight, I know the anxiety you speak of… Although the pedi has made several attempts to reassure me… Yeah, that works… Seriously, she’s adorable!

| December 28, 2008 @ 8:37 pm

3. Suzy said,

She’s cute yada yada yada but who cuts your hair? LOVE IT.

| December 28, 2008 @ 8:44 pm

holy crap she’s cute!

| December 28, 2008 @ 9:11 pm

5. Aunt Becky said,

Great, now I’m trying to eat my computer. Too much cuteness here. Loves it.

| December 28, 2008 @ 9:52 pm

6. Laggin said,

I happen to still believe in the big guy and am writing him a mental note to bring you what’s on your wish list.

| December 28, 2008 @ 10:21 pm

7. sam {temptingmama} said,

That fourth picture is my favourite by far! LOL

Not to say that you and the twins aren’t cute but Elby? Freakin’ hilarious!!

| December 29, 2008 @ 12:04 am

8. CaraBee said,

Elby’s face is absolutely adorable. You just can’t beat the exuberance of kids with their gifts. Of course, with that comes the honesty of disappointment when Santa doesn’t bring the right thing.

| December 29, 2008 @ 12:21 am

9. Jo said,

Look at Elby’s face! She is in heaven. How easy it is to please her. Wait til she asks for a beamer, or a boob job.

| December 29, 2008 @ 12:27 am

10. Lil Mouse said,

okay i just have to laugh at the title before i even read the damn passage. because my grandma (bless her heart, she is in the nursing home with alzheimers), said something about jews one time, you know as when she was raised being a jew was weird, and people of dark skin ‘knew their place’ –turns out its the white house, well anyway..the point is my mom said one time when grandma was on a jew rant that ‘jesus was a jew’ –and i had to go outside and laugh my ass off– really i had no ass left after that. because it was true. jesus was a jew. he was born a jew and died a jew. i think most christians would do well to remember that.. snicker. okay back to reading your post..

| December 29, 2008 @ 3:10 am

11. Immoral Matriarch said,

She looks like a baby doll! She’s beautiful – looks exactly like you, as do all your gorgeous girls. Elby’s killing me over here.

Oh! And remember that baby twin thing I mentioned? Here:

Same weight and same table. Told you. 😛

| December 29, 2008 @ 4:04 am

12. RhoRho said,

super cute tots and love your hair!

| December 29, 2008 @ 4:33 am

13. Momma Trish said,

They’re all so cute! Sadie may be tiny, but she sure looks happy and sweet.

| December 29, 2008 @ 5:51 am

14. Carolyn...Online said,

That looks like a lovely and fun Hebrew Christmas.

| December 29, 2008 @ 1:39 pm

15. nikki said,

Cute kids!

In my office, for some reason, the only people to give out cookies and goodies for Christmas to all the co-workers were the jews. I wonder why that is? Why were my Jewish co-workers more in the Christmas spirit than I?

| December 29, 2008 @ 1:51 pm

16. Cat said,

She is so freaking cute, I want to eat her little face and slurp her brown curls. That’s not odd, is it? Everyone looks happy and healthy, aside from the bad Jew celebrating Christmas thing…Happy New Year :)

| December 29, 2008 @ 2:44 pm

17. Cory said,

omgod, she’s like a little porcelain doll. so adorable!

| December 29, 2008 @ 6:49 pm

18. Leslie said,

So gald to hear that Sadie’s procedure went well! She’s so darling!!!

My little guy has to have a minor surgery in Feb and I’m so nervous about it. It’s already been rescheduled 4 times because he keeps catching a cold.

BTW – you look beautiful in your pic.

| December 29, 2008 @ 7:23 pm

19. Linda said,

Oh, I just want to hold that little girl!! She’s like a “whisper”.
    I am so happy that she was delighted with her plate.Tee hee. Gotta start somewhere!
    The look on Elby’s face is priceless. I could almost hear her squealing. Mattie looks like a little angel on that scooter.How fun.
    And you my dear,look wonderful in that picture! Way to get back in shape sista!! I agree with everyone on your hair.Wowsa. Your girls have a hard act to follow mama!

| December 29, 2008 @ 7:53 pm

20. Eileen said,

Love the photos. I’m with Suzy- you’ve got good hair

| December 29, 2008 @ 8:03 pm

21. Martie said,

wow. you’re cute. wait. that came out all wrong. I mean, ahem… for a Mother of 3–and stressed to the hilt–you look surprisingly cool and, um, nice. Put together, even.

Me? As mother of 8–yeah, not so much over here.

| December 30, 2008 @ 3:05 pm

22. Wicked Step Mom said,

Santa, bring that baby some chubbiness!

I am glad you guys had a good Christmas.

| December 30, 2008 @ 3:39 pm

23. threeundertwo said,

So adorable. Both of you. I’m so happy you got what *you* wanted for Christmas.

| January 2, 2009 @ 2:45 pm

24. Beth said,

As a fellow Jew, I always wanted to celebrate Christmas, too — in a non-religious, fun Xmas tree/opening presents/listening to carols/eating cookies kinda way, too. :o)

Love the photos! Your girls are just too darn precious!

| January 3, 2009 @ 5:27 am

25. gmcountrymama said,

I remember that tree. Didn’t we decorate it with whatever we could find like postcards and such? I love the pics, all of your girls and you are beautiful. Happy Christmakkah.

| January 3, 2009 @ 5:11 pm

26. chris said,

Your kids are gorgeous! It does look like a pink and purple bomb went off in your house, though.

| January 4, 2009 @ 2:29 pm

27. inmomniac said,

she is absolutely beautiful. i’m glad she is gaining more weight. my cousins have a petite girl who is 2 years old and weighs 19 pounds. but she is healthy!! i’m sure sadie will be healthy too. she looks happy and loved … what more could you ask for?

good luck!

| January 7, 2009 @ 3:27 pm

28. Piccinigirl said,

Sadie, OMG you are soooo beautiful. For your mommy’s sanity please please gain a little weight…however, you are one beautiful little girl. SOOOO CUTE.

| January 16, 2009 @ 6:57 pm