What up, G-tube?

So this little shaver does need a G-tube placed. Thank you all for your sweet comments. You know, I remember awhile ago I posted about getting a slew of bad reviews based on ridiculousness on my book and a lot of you chimed in to reassure me that those people are crazy and that you love me…blah blah blah. Then someone named, Anonymous, of course, wrote in to say something to the effect of “You just wrote this because you knew your readers would give you strokes and you can’t take criticism” etc. At first I was offended but then I realized, DUH. It’s my blog; I’m not writing it for criticism, not matter how constructive it may be. I don’t delete comments but I don’t need to because people that read my blog are, hopefully, reading it because they already enjoy what I have to say whether or not they agree with me all the time. So when I wrote that post the other day about all the psychos at Yahoo Shine, I was obviously hoping you’d all write “fuck those Yahoos” and you did. And it was more healing than a bag of Cheetos. What I’m trying to say is Thank You. Thank you for being on my side. Thank you for reading my blog even when I’m too busy to leave comments on yours. Thanks for your patience. Thanks for sharing your stories with me and letting me lean on you. I have friends in my direct life but when you blog, you find kindred spirits, people going through similar experiences who are right there, stepping up to help the ones right behind them feel better about what they’re going through whether it’s having that first baby, losing the pregnancy weight, dealing with a child with special needs or getting a G-tube put in your 13 pound 1-yr-old.

The procedure should be happening in the next couple of weeks and she’ll need to be in the hospital for a few days. That should suck. But, having her gain weight will be a fantastic Christmas present.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on November 18, 2008 8:34 pmUncategorized54 comments

1. Backpacking Dad said,

Blog for the ass-kissing or don’t blog at all!

;}

| November 18, 2008 @ 9:03 pm

2. Cheryl Lage said,

Seeing lots of G-Love in your future!

We’ve all got your back, Sweetness. [Insert soundtrack of Dionne, Stevie, Elton…”That’s what blogs are for….]

| November 18, 2008 @ 9:03 pm

3. How to Party with an Infant said,

I got your back! Sending good thoughts to the little one.

| November 18, 2008 @ 9:14 pm

4. BabyShrink said,

Just checking in to say hi and see how everyone’s doing. Would slap the haters upside the head if I could. Hang in there with Sadie. (I know. What choice do you have?) Suffice it to say, I have confidence in you, your decisions, and the ability of all of you to get through this!

| November 18, 2008 @ 9:26 pm

5. Aunt Becky said,

Ah, Sadie will always be my homie G-tube.

Seriously, Stef, hang in there. I got your back AND I’ll beat the haters. Because I’m currently pregnant and nuts.

| November 18, 2008 @ 9:46 pm

6. KLS said,

Glad you came to a decision and seem to be at peace with it. Good luck next week!

| November 18, 2008 @ 9:51 pm

7. Kirsten / Mama Ginger Tree said,

You expressed it so well. The blogosphere does bring kindred spirits and support. Well said.

Best of luck to little Sadie. May she be as rolly polly as Santa by Christmas.

| November 18, 2008 @ 9:54 pm

8. Threeundertwo said,

Yep, we’re here for you, and that Sadie.

Mr. Anonymous has been visiting my blog too. Talk about unwelcome visitors.

| November 18, 2008 @ 10:04 pm

9. Nut Nut said,

Oh my, they are so adorable! I can’t fathom what you’ve been going through, but reading “13lb one-year-old” makes my heart stop. That would have made no sense to me before having my boy, but now it does, and it breaks my heart.

I hope the best for you and yours!

| November 18, 2008 @ 10:31 pm

10. MereCat said,

You know we’re here. Count on it!

Those little babies, 13 lbs or whatever each weighs, are freakin’ beautiful. I mean absolutely gorgeous. I love the pictures. Feel free to post more anytime you’re bored.

Bored. *snort* Like never. But I’d still like more pixellated perfection when you have a chance.

| November 18, 2008 @ 10:40 pm

11. Jamie said,

G-Love and the special sauce –
    and it’s the sauce that will put the pounds on that sweet little girl.

Sending good thoughts!

| November 18, 2008 @ 10:44 pm

12. The Mommy said,

I followed your Yahoo link earlier and I just got too pissed off to read any more. WAAAAY too much judgement from those folks. What’s that all about? I especially appreciated the insanity from people who “don’t have any children”.

And I agree. It’s your BLOG, not (exactly) your job. Do you really need criticism here? No, ya don’t. My advice to the critics? Read something else.

| November 18, 2008 @ 10:47 pm

13. Jillian said,

Cute! Cute kids!

I’m de-lurking for the first time to wish you well with the G-tube. I don’t have any experience with one, so have nothing of real value to offer except good wishes. I’m sure it will be difficult when it’s inserted (installed? ingested?) but I’m confident things will get much better after that.

I’ve been reading here for a few months now and must say that when you wrote that you may go this way I felt relieved for you and for Sadie. It can seem a little extreme, but it takes the fight off the table and gives you the gift of control over how many calories she gets. How wonderful will that be after your Herculean efforts? Now what she needs and what she gets will be a 1:1 propositon. So great!

| November 18, 2008 @ 10:49 pm

14. Carolyn...Online said,

I hope you have to buy new clothes at Christmas because of those fat little babies. Both of them.

And I agree with the kindred spirit thing. So true.

| November 18, 2008 @ 11:46 pm

15. Giovanna Diaries said,

Hope everything goes well w/the procedure. Before you know it they’ll be 18!

| November 19, 2008 @ 12:25 am

Ok, your kids are so cute that *I* want to eat *them* up!

| November 19, 2008 @ 12:28 am

17. April said,

that light is the end of the tunnel. it’s not a train, so please don’t hesitate to keep moving forward. did that make sense? trying to say, you’re doing a great job.

and i LOVE your blog. you don’t have to read mine for me to like yours!!!

so glad things are progressing – and baby weight IS a great christmas present… on her, not you 😉

| November 19, 2008 @ 1:06 am

18. Sonya said,

I’m glad so many people here have your back. I couldn’t finish reading the comments at Shine. The people obviously have no clue.

Remember you wrote that gerber stage 2 chicken has 7 grams of fat? That was a great tip for my underweight 2 year old (IUGR baby). She’ll sometimes eat those when she doesn’t like whatever else we’re having.

All the best for the procedure and weight gain.

| November 19, 2008 @ 1:50 am

19. anita doberman said,

will be thinking of you and Sadie :)
    hope all goes well and she is on her way to gaining loads of weight!

| November 19, 2008 @ 2:50 am

20. Rachel said,

Sadie is a beautiful baby, even if she is on the slimmer side. Sorry you have to go through all this crap. My daughter is just below the 3rd percentile for weight and can’t help but obsess about it so I can only imagine how you must be feeling. Hang in there!

| November 19, 2008 @ 3:20 am

21. anymommy said,

Doesn’t it feel wonderful to have the decision made and know that she’ll be getting the calories she needs soon. I know that hospital time will stab at your heart, but the gain (and gain and gain!) will hopefully be more than worth it.

| November 19, 2008 @ 4:00 am

22. Laura said,

Please keep posting! You are my kindred spirit. This growth crap is no easy picnic and people who have never had IUGR preemies just can’t understand. We are having reflux problems too. I love your blog and I’ve totally got your back. I blog because it helps me in many ways on different levels. Clearly that person Anonymous doesn’t understand what blogs are for. Dumbass. Hang in there, she’ll get there. My guys will too.

| November 19, 2008 @ 4:15 am

23. Dixlet said,

Good Luck. So tough, I can’t imagine. I hope things go as well as can be expected and like everyone else, will be thinking of you and sending warm thoughts your way.

| November 19, 2008 @ 4:48 am

24. Diane said,

Wow, they are so beautiful! Good luck with everything with sweet Sadie.

| November 19, 2008 @ 5:10 am

25. Rachael said,

I think it’s a good decision, and I hope that all goes well with the insertion and all that comes afterwards. She is adorable, even if she’s small!

| November 19, 2008 @ 5:24 am

26. Beth said,

Just bought your second book and, of course, I LOVE IT!!!

Your daughters are precious!!!

| November 19, 2008 @ 5:58 am

Small or not, she is ADORABLE (did I spell that right?) I personally think you are funny as hell and your kids are cute as they can be. Being a mom of 3 small kids, I know the worry. Case in point, my 6yo who is 39 lbs. Yes, and he will be 7 in a month! He’s the third and they grow, eventually. My 12 year old has gained 35lbs in a year and a half. I’m asking for all of your books at christmas, but I’ll probably get slippers instead. I’ll buy the books myself.
    Karen-former lurker 1+ years

| November 19, 2008 @ 6:00 am

28. LiteralDan said,

I’ve never even heard of Yahoo Shine. Why should you pay any attention to crazy people at some place I’ve never even heard of?

I rest my case.

| November 19, 2008 @ 9:29 am

29. Susan said,

Delurking to tell you how much I appreciate and enjoy your blog. Those babies are gawjus! Best of luck with the latest challenge.

| November 19, 2008 @ 3:50 pm

30. Kyddryn said,

You’ll do fine. Also? It IS your blog, and if you can’t say what you like on your own blog then the world needs a serious attitude adjustment.

Also, also? If you can’t get a little bloggy love to help you through the rough days, what’s the point??

Meanwhile, Sadie is going to grow like Kudzu and be doing back flips in no time. OK, maybe not the back flips…

Shade and Sweetwater,
    K (who is wishing you the best with this)

| November 19, 2008 @ 4:43 pm

31. Lisa said,

You will be complaining in no time about lugging two big fat babies around!

| November 19, 2008 @ 6:10 pm

32. Eve said,

Stefanie,
    Sending nothing but good, uplifting thoughts your family’s way. Sadie is ADORABLE and I really hope she starts to do better after the procedure.
    Also thought I’d let you know that I LOVE your writing and reading your Sippy Cups book really helped lift me out of a sad, lonely-feeling place when I first started figuring out this whole mom thing. My babe just turned 7 months and while I still feel like I don’t know what I got myself into most of the time, reading your stuff ALWAYS helps me to feel not alone! So thank you SO MUCH.
    Oh, and when, after reading Sippy Cups, I only recently discovered your blog and found out you now have twins?!?! Fell off my chair. Well, bouncy ball thing I was sitting on. Really. You are one strong woman.

| November 19, 2008 @ 7:34 pm

33. Amanda said,

I don’t often comment but I wanted to let you know that you rock, your babes are the best, and I am happy that you have a solution so Sadie can be fattened up like a Christmas turkey! Good luck with the G tube and please keep us posted. xo

| November 19, 2008 @ 8:14 pm

34. Emily said,

G-tubes are phat!

It took me all day to come up with that lame-ass joke. You’d better have a least smirked.

Seriously though, I’ll be praying for you and your family’s health and safety.

| November 19, 2008 @ 9:59 pm

35. Overflowing Brain said,

Okay, I read the “shine” site and I am left wondering if it’s got some sort of homing beacon for illiterate people? I have never read more comments that made no sense in my life. Seriously, Yahoo hosted a stupid convention with record attendance. Amazing.

Good luck with the g-tube. As someone who is living a life dictated by medical problems, I sincerely hope that Sadie gains with the tube and moves past this. Though I know that she will thrive either way because she has someone on her side, advocating for what is best for her.

All the luck to you and your family.

| November 20, 2008 @ 1:54 am

36. Jenny said,

Ignore the stupid people.
    You are a wonderful mother and advocate for your children. Your sweet girls are beautiful. Your family remains in my prayers, keep us posted! : )

| November 20, 2008 @ 4:14 am

37. Cat said,

Your kids are TOO CUTE. They’re almost painful to look directly at, like the sun or somthing.

| November 20, 2008 @ 3:17 pm

38. Catwoman said,

Obvious comment of the day: Stupid people suck. Anyone who says anything bad about you sucks.

About Sadie, I’m so sorry that her issues have gotten to this point. Hopefully this helps fatten her up. Hey, if it works for geese, why wouldn’t work for little Sadie? 😉

| November 20, 2008 @ 10:34 pm

39. heartfull said,

Beautiful girls! I loved seeing the photo – you don’t post them often enough.

Good luck with the GI Tube. Honestly, I can’t imagine the emotional side of what you are going through, but your blog presents the facts with such honesty and humor that I feel like I can really relate. But really, I can’t. I have had three relatively healthy kids and have always been able to take that “don’t worry, be happy” approach that those readers at Shine kept advising.

I hope that everything starts to improve after the tube insertion. I’ll be reading and rooting!

| November 21, 2008 @ 1:17 pm

40. Piccinigirl said,

gosh they just get cuter every single day!!!
    It will all be fine and we’re all here for you. Kissing ass all the way. :) Hey it’s your blog, should be a “safe” place for you.

| November 21, 2008 @ 4:52 pm

41. shannon said,

At least a G-tube will mean you can spend less time stressing about getting her to eat, and more time kissing that delicious baby!

(hugs) to you all, I know this has been a tough road.

| November 22, 2008 @ 4:14 pm

42. Meaghan said,

Wow I totally relate to your post! I have had some negativity on my blog where I write about MY CANCER!! I too refrain from deleting mean comments but seriously its my blog, my place to vent, get support, encouragement etc…If you don’t like it go find another blog but don’t get off on making me feel like shit!

Anyway I feel ya sista!

| November 23, 2008 @ 2:19 am

43. courtney said,

What a weird weird coincidence. Shortly after reading one of your more recent posts about Sadie and her lack of weight, I found out that an acquaintance’s baby, also named Sadie, weighs just 11 lbs at 11 months old. Unlike you, though, this mom is HAPPY that her baby is SLIM! Seriously!

| November 23, 2008 @ 3:03 am

44. Kristine said,

What a great mom you are, doing what is best for your daughter!

| November 24, 2008 @ 2:38 am

45. jen said,

you know that what you are doing is what is right for you and your family … and that is all that should matter.
    she is an absolutely beautiful girl and here is to hoping that this will remediate some of the problems that your family has had.
    i’ll have my fingers (and toes) crossed for your family.

| November 24, 2008 @ 4:32 am

46. Andee said,

I thought that I would just drop you a line and say something along the lines of “um, yeah, you want positive reinforcement.” What is wrong with people? We all need our hugs.

I also wanted to let you know that I have a really good friend whose baby is almost a year old and she weighs 13 lbs 5 oz. So you are not alone.

| November 24, 2008 @ 7:06 pm

47. Janeabelle said,

Dude, fat or skinny, they’re beautiful girls. You’re a lucky woman.

| November 25, 2008 @ 4:53 am

48. liz.mccarthy said,

hi, email me to talk about kiddos and gtubes, (now don’t get me wrong our gtube was the best decision we ever did for our daughter) but putting in a gtube makes it IMPOSSIBLE to take it out and feed them. There are things that may not be told to you unless you talk to someone who has “been there”.

they don’t tell you about the vomiting. They don’t tell you about the feeding pumps and supplies. They don’t tell you that your child never learns what hunger is. They don’t tell you that your child never learns to chew and eat….

Why isn’t she eating? Does she have reflux? Other issues? Has EVERYTHING been addressed first to get her to want to eat? I’ve helped a lot of moms with this (i’m no doc nor an expet, but I go to a monthly meeting where we have 2 mom docs).

Once the tube is in, you’ll spend you life trying to get it out and to get your child to eat.

Yes, they gain weight (phew, which is a big relief), but…..

Explore feeding clinics that work with kids before tubes are placed, for example: the Gratz clinic in Austria (yes Austria) can’t believe how many us kids are put on tubes for failure to thrive, when they don’t have disabilities.

Anyways, I’m rambling.

feel free to email me

Liz at alizard.com

Liz

| November 25, 2008 @ 5:36 am

49. adsiz said,

Best of luck to little Sadie. May she be as rolly polly as Santa by Christmas.

| December 4, 2008 @ 11:31 pm

50. Hannah said,

Our son, River, got his gtube at 10 months… he is gaining slowly, and it is an ongoing battle. There has been no easy fix for us, but River is probably dealing with a lot more than sadie. Support from other families has been so important for us. I hope you can find the same. I’ll check back to see how Sadie is doing.

| December 11, 2008 @ 2:00 am

51. adsiz said,

thnks

| December 12, 2008 @ 12:03 am

52. adsiz said,

thnks

| December 22, 2008 @ 7:52 am

hello my name is angelina i also have a one year old that weighs 13lbs. i would really like to talk to you. im unsure what to do. all the dr. we seen say shes just fine. if you could email me at angelina47371@yahoo.com it would be really nice.

| January 1, 2009 @ 1:28 am