Moms Are Crazy

Did anyone watch SNL on Sat. night? I did not because I believe I was in bed by 9 but through the magic of TiVo, I was able to watch it last night. Um…WHAT HAPPENED? There was so many gay gags and jokes it was unbearable. Seriously, did they just farm the script out to a frat house, give them four kegs, and have them knock out some sketches? Do the writers think that people don’t understand sublty or irony anymore so they just need to whack us on the head with MEN KISSING! Hilarious. Men admitting to having sex with a male cab driver HA HA HA, Men dancing in leotards and heels –HEE HEE HEE! Gay people are just like that! All of them! Jiffy Lube workers deciding they are in love and getting married. HO HO.

I lost count at about 8 gay sketches before falling asleep. Saturday Night Live, you are not funny anymore. P.S. since someone already commented about this, I sort of get that it had to do with prop 8 but it was no way seeming anti prop 8 or helping the cause at all –in fact, I think it made it worse.

In other news, I wrote a post about Sadie being underweight and it bringing up issues for me (worry, obsession) and being focused on getting food into her. I directed you all to it awhile ago. Well, Yahoo Shine got a hold of it and, I’m sorry, but moms (not my readers) are freaking crazy. I can’t believe how many comments I got from people saying either “you’re a bad mom who’s going to give your kid an eating complex” or “you’re a bad mom in general” or “get over it and relax.” I’ve decided that any future posts that go onto Yahoo are going to be so crazy on my part that the commentors will get all confused and the site will implode.

You can see what I mean if you want to here but I hate to give these losers more traffic.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on November 17, 2008 6:56 pmUncategorized33 comments

1. Emily said,

I think that was SNL’s protest of Prop 8.

Also – yes. Random people on message boards are crazy and judgemental. Funny to read, though, when you keep their insanity in mind.

| November 17, 2008 @ 7:19 pm

2. albe said,

I just wanted to say I’m going through the exact same thing with my daughter (who is a twin). At 11 months she’s 15 lbs 3 oz. We have to go to the GI doctor all the time. We feed her 27 calorie/ounce bottles. I give her avocado, banana, and full-fat yogurt every day. I put oil and butter in everything.

The whole thing is driving me CRAZY because I’m obsessed about either a) she’s not gaining enough, or b) I’m going to give her a complex about food because I’m constantly trying to cajole, encourage, or force her to eat more. I’m always trying to get her to eat/drink when it’s clear she’s full, which seems unhealthy and just mean. But on the other hand, she STILL isn’t gaining enough and I’m worried that she’ll have screwed up cognitive development as a result.

It is very stressful. It’s nice to read that other people are going through the same thing.

| November 17, 2008 @ 7:31 pm

3. Stefanie said,

Albe, if it’s any consolation to you, our GI said she wouldn’t be nearly as concerned if Sadie had broken the 15 pound mark at a year. But she’s stuck at 13 and will be a year next week. So you are actually ahead of the game. But I feel your pain!! Also, Sadie is on a formula strike period and we are lucky if we can get 10 oz in her a day.

| November 17, 2008 @ 7:34 pm

4. mommymae said,

if we can’t poke fun at ourselves, who can we poke? it’s pretty obvious that you are making light of life’s travails. i suppose other people just don’t get that. you’re a great mom who obviously loves your family and would do anything for them.

| November 17, 2008 @ 7:44 pm

5. Bri said,

I just wanted to let you know that I read all of the comments at “Shine” and OMG are those people mentally handicapped? I thought it was awesome you fought back at each negative comment. And, even good ole Habenero was fighting for you in the end.

| November 17, 2008 @ 7:49 pm

6. Emily said,

WTF? If they don’t have something nice to say…especially about something so personal and concerning…then don’t say it at all. I’m pretty sure that the LAST thing you need is criticism about your childs eating habits- idiots! As a peds nurse, I think you are doing a great job…you are advocating for your child and exhausting/considering every possible solution to this problem. What more could a child ask for? I wish every parent was as caring and concerned as you are.

| November 17, 2008 @ 7:52 pm

7. Karen said,

Good lord Stefanie,

I just wasted about five minutes of my time reading the comments over at Shine – that’s why I avoid forums like the plague. Most forum commentators are uneducated fools who seriously have nothing better to do with their sad, pathetic little lives.

Ignore them – they are absolutely not worth your time.

As for your little girl – you poor thing. I can’t imagine the stress you’re going through. My youngest son has always been on the low end of those stupid growth charts and is still one of the smallest kids in his class today (he’s 13).

However, I’m not overly concerned about it because he is an exact replica of my husband who didn’t start growing until he was a junior in high school!

You’re being proactive, that’s all you can do at this point. Hang in there.

Write From Karen

| November 17, 2008 @ 7:56 pm

8. Jen said,

Ok, those comments were an odd mix of cruelty and stupidity but you have to admit there’s something hilarious about being given “advice” like this: “he eats table food been so since he was 5 months he is walking and eveything already me letting him be him and not obessing with his weight keeps him happy and he aint messed up he is actually learning too quickly!!!”

Just think, if you would only let Sadie be she wouldn’t be messed up! She actually might start learing too quickly!!!! I also like the adive that you start giving Sadie a milkshake made with peanut butter. Oy.

| November 17, 2008 @ 7:57 pm

9. albe said,

Thanks — it’s nice to think of us being ahead instead of always behind for once! I so related to your post about weight obsession. It’s so ironic that once I’ve finally reached a point in my own life when I could start to move away from constantly thinking about calories, I am now, once again…constantly thinking about calories. But this time it’s for my daughter and not for me. Everything you typed really rang true.

| November 17, 2008 @ 7:58 pm

10. CharmingDriver said,

Oh you sweet, sweet momma. I am so sorry the innernetz forgot their meds and lashed out at you; chin up. You’re doing everything you can do and know to do; don’t let the assholes of the innernetz get you down. You and all of your babies deserve better.

| November 17, 2008 @ 8:14 pm

11. J said,

Now, granted, if I had been the one to write your thoughtful article I would be SUPER PISSED.

But because I am an outside observer I just think it’s absolutely hysterical that these random people on Shine think that *they* know more than EVERY QUALIFIED MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL IN THE WORLD, plus the MOM who always knows best. I mean, COME ON! Really??? You are *really* just supposed to let it go and then the problem will just resolve itself? Like, just flout the doctors and your own common sense, Stefanie, because mom from anystate USA thinks Sadie is fine and she has to deal with a ten year old who doesn’t like cheese fries so she TOTALLY knows better than you.

Total comic relief. But again, if I were you, after pouring my heart out in that article I’d be super-mad. Those idiots know nothing.

| November 17, 2008 @ 9:10 pm

12. Amanda said,

keep doing what you’re doing. You are the mom and nobody knows your kids like you do. My mother in law says that my sister in law was 14 pounds at a year and she is 26 now and just fine. Keep turning over rocks and you’ll find what you are looking for.

| November 17, 2008 @ 9:30 pm

13. How to Party with an Infant said,

Losers need traffic, too.

i agree SNL is lame, but I love Andy Samberg’s songs. They’re so absurd.

| November 17, 2008 @ 9:44 pm

14. Backpacking Dad said,

I don’t understand why it’s under some “astrology” subdomain over there.

And they win at “commenters who can’t read”.

| November 17, 2008 @ 11:08 pm

15. anita doberman said,

Wow, those comments are, I mean, wow, I can’t even find the words.

I really wanted to tell you that your writing is awesome (how is that for eloquence) and that I still struggle with an eating disorder and find strength and inspiration from your smart, funny and real writing.

| November 18, 2008 @ 12:15 am

16. Lisa said,

One of the worst comments over there that I read was “Is this your first baby?”

| November 18, 2008 @ 12:48 am

17. Ms. Wobbly Bits said,

Your an awesome mom!

| November 18, 2008 @ 1:28 am

18. Count Mockula said,

Ha ha, they’re dumb! I liked the semi-literate Hotmami the best, who had the nerve to criticize your writing because some OTHER moron posted that she couldn’t understand it.

| November 18, 2008 @ 1:46 am

19. CaraBee said,

Other than the recent election stuff, SNL hasn’t been funny in like 10 years. Maybe longer. Too bad, it used to be an icon.

| November 18, 2008 @ 2:37 am

20. heather... said,

I had to stop reading those comments because they made me so upset. No one understands unless they’ve struggled to make a baby eat, unless they’ve had weekly weigh-ins where their baby LOST weight, unless their one year old still fits in newborn-size clothes. That being said, any reasonable human should be able to IMAGINE how scary and frustrating it is.

Those Yahoo commenters were total kizzles.

| November 18, 2008 @ 2:38 am

21. MereCat said,

Damn, Stef. Listen. For one, I do not understand for the life of me why people give a shit who anyone sleeps with. That’s my first kvetch. Shit bewilders me completely. Enough said.

I swear to you I just can’t believe how people can be so hostile to you about how you are raising your kids. It’s just ignorant and misdirected anger. They have no idea what they are talking about. I mean, NO EFFIN IDEA. It’s just that thing about when you are high profile, you really get slammed. Needlessly. Senselessly.

You’re doing great. It’s been a marathon. And you are gonna win. The year mark helps because you kind of turn a food corner. Food is about to start to have a fun element to it which will be helpful.

Very best wishes. xoxoxo

| November 18, 2008 @ 2:55 am

22. CP said,

Holy Shit people over there are cruel! I left you the following comment on that site:

“Wow. People are really cruel. I am so sorry Stefanie that you had to read all of this. Even those people who were kind but referred to their own children as “on the small side” just don’t get it. I read your regular blog and I’m sure you haven’t shared 100% of what is going on with Sadie. From what you have shared, it is clear you are dealing with something very serious and that you and your husband and your doctors are actively trying to figure it out and help Sadie before it affects her even more. It’s clear that 1) nothing you did or didn’t do played any part in Sadie’s conditions; 2) that leaving it be and hoping of the best is NOT an option and is ridiculous to even suggest; and 3) you and your doctors are doing everything you can to help Sadie gain weight and get to a point where being on the “small side” would be a relief.”

| November 18, 2008 @ 2:55 am

I thought Justin Timberlake was really funny on SNL. Isn’t Seth Meyers a mormon? Maybe he is writing the skits

| November 18, 2008 @ 4:02 am

24. Cat said,

I loved all your responses to the comments on the yahoo site.

| November 18, 2008 @ 5:35 pm

25. nikki said,

You are aweome Stef! I read a handful of those Yahoo Shine blogs a while back, but I was taken aback that no matter the subject, the people who commented were TOTAL FUCKING MORONS!!!!

SNL slips into relevance every four years during the election, then slides back down to total and utter irrelevance immediately after the first Tuesday in November every four years…..

| November 18, 2008 @ 5:47 pm

26. WA said,

I was pretty sure SNL was going to become complete crap after Tina Fey & Amy Poehler left. I mean, the writing's fine if they're just trying to reach 20-year old douchebags, but it kind of sucks for the rest of us. But what do I know–I'm a 40 year old woman who probably only watches "Dancing with the Stars".

| November 18, 2008 @ 9:32 pm

27. Nil Zed said,

SNL ceased to be funny whenever the collection of performers the speaker first became familiar with moves on.

Bass-O-Matic! Was on the first show I ever watched, so it’s been a long time since I found more than one or two skits per show even mildly amusing!

| November 19, 2008 @ 6:32 pm

28. courtney said,

SNL is hit or miss these days. Some weeks it’s HILARIOUS, other weeks? So not. I didn’t see this last one, but it sounds like it was so not.

| November 23, 2008 @ 3:01 am

29. sesi said,

Losers need traffic, too.

i agree SNL is lame, but I love Andy Samberg’s songs. They’re so absurd.

| December 1, 2008 @ 10:34 am