Lost In Translation

I don’t even know what that title means. I don’t even know who I am anymore. All I do right now is wake up, feed babies, listen to my older daughter say “Mom! Mom! Mommy!! Momeeeee! I need toast,” pack her lunch, feed babies breakfast then write write write for five hours or so until it’s time to pick daughter up from school. I can’t even drink wine at night lately because the weather is weird and it screws with my sinuses often leading to a headache (even if I’ve just had one glass) which I can’t afford. Hey, at least there’s still coffee and Xanax right?

So, yeah, being a mom of three feels really tough right now. But then sometimes I look at my life and I think, WOW…I am really lucky – I have a great husband, three great kids, the opportunity to write a book and a democrat in the White House – what more could I ask for? And then I get right back to bitching again. But then Housewives of Atlanta comes on and I realize I am completely fulfilled. Watching Kim try to get her singing career off the ground might be one of the best things that’s ever happened to me. Who’s with me? You have to love a woman who can be told straight out by a vocal coach that she sucks and think to herself (and the camera) “that woman just doesn’t get “my thing.” We should all be so lucky to be that delusional. Think of all the great work we could all get done without that nagging self awareness standing in our way.

Let me just bring you up to date on a few things:

Elby turns four on Wednesday. The babies turn one on the 26th. Sadie is still the smallest one-year-old on the planet. We still struggle to feed her everyday. You can read more about my feeding obsession in this week’s column Make Mine a Double. Seriously, go check it out cause I’m actually writing over there.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on November 8, 2008 4:21 pmUncategorized25 comments

1. Rabbadingy said,

LOL at your comment on Kim. I live for the Real Housewives of Atlanta. Kim is ridiculous. Who is this mystery sugar daddy? I bet he’s married!

I’m supposed to be using my time productively right now while my husband takes my 2 year old to My Gym but I think I might go check out the RHA scoop :)

Thanks for being so funny. My toddler is feral right now and so I started reading your Naptime book last night. I’ve been saving it for the time I need it. Good luck with bdays in the coming weeks.

| November 8, 2008 @ 5:22 pm

2. Aunt Becky said,

Aw, Stef, I’m sorry it’s so hard. I have many of those days too, and I’ve only got 2 of them (for now).

I’d offer a fat transplant for Sadie, because I’m kind like that, but I don’t imagine that’s the kind of weight you want to put on her.

| November 8, 2008 @ 5:24 pm

3. miko564 said,

Yowza. I take care of the Monkey(4) and Scratch(1) from Friday to Sunday when the Swede is at work. Even thinking about having Scratch in duplicate makes my heart pound. The fact that you get ANY writing done is nothing short of a miracle.

“Coffee and Xanax”
    I think I may be in love with you now, because of that comment. I would even switch from DD coffee to Starbucks if they offered a Xanax “shot” in their coffee…

| November 8, 2008 @ 6:20 pm

4. Just Call Me Sleep Deprived said,

LOL!! I couldn’t agree more, reality TV seems to have consumed my life since my third trimester of pregnancy. I personally preferred the Orange County housewives but Kim and her secret sugar daddy, “Big Poppa” make the Atlanta Housewives pretty interesting :)

| November 8, 2008 @ 8:12 pm

5. Dana said,

I can’t relate to having three children (I only have one), but I hear you on the freakin’ sinus stuff. Mine act funny all the time.

Hang in there!

| November 8, 2008 @ 9:33 pm

6. Lisa said,

It can be difficult to remember everything that is right with our lives.

I have been having trouble with my sinuses as well. A pharmacist talked me into buying a Netti Pot to clean them out. I was disgusted by the idea but it actually DOES help. You just have to be careful not to do it in front of anyone because if THAT doesn’t kill the romance, what will?

| November 8, 2008 @ 9:46 pm

7. Lisa said,

Thanks, I just watched a few episodes of RHA because it was on, and am amazed that Kim is 30. I thought for sure she was at least 40, the way she looks. That’s why with Makeup, less is more, girls.

| November 8, 2008 @ 10:29 pm

8. April said,

omg, kim makes me laugh my ass off. i’m dying to know who ‘big daddy’ is!

| November 8, 2008 @ 10:46 pm

9. courtney said,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a rough time! It sounds like you remember that life is good, though, and that's important.

I haven't seen Housewife Of Atlanta, but your comment on Kim made me think of all those people on American Idol who claim that Paula, Simon & Randy just don't know what they're talking about…

| November 10, 2008 @ 1:40 am

10. Kate said,

Didn’t you love it when she spelled cat, Kat when she was talking to the record producer. Kim has made my life worth living the past few weeks. LOVE the hair, the smoking, mysterious boyfriend. It just gets better and better.

| November 10, 2008 @ 4:09 am

11. The Yummy Mummy Cooks Gourmet said,

You too? I was starting to think I was a horrible person because I secretly enjoyed that whole Kim/self-delusional singing career thing. At least I’m not alone.

As far as the rest, I wish you the best, dear, and hope you will be able to drink wine soon. That’ll help!

Kim

| November 10, 2008 @ 3:15 pm

12. Catwoman said,

I had no idea all of your kids were November babies. I’m guessing you must get really, really drunk on Valentine’s day every three years (yes, I know the twins were preemies, so the math doesn’t quite work out, but don’t ruin the joke, ok?)

And Kim and her Big Pappa are just too bizarre. I can just imagine calling Sweetie Pie from a Cadillac dealership and cooing at him that there’s an Escalade and I really, really want it. And then I can just imagine writing a cheque for $68 grand.

None of those things would go very well for me, unfortunately.

| November 10, 2008 @ 5:31 pm

13. Trenches of Mommyhood said,

Kim just completely makes me feel better about my entire life. The highlight of last week’s episode was when she spelled cat “K-A-T”.

That there was a CLASSIC moment in reality television.

| November 10, 2008 @ 5:39 pm

14. How to Party with an Infant said,

I love Housewives of Atlanta. It’s so absurd.

| November 10, 2008 @ 10:42 pm

15. Tiffany T said,

I remember when I was pregnant with my second and my first was 2, and I FREAKED. OUT!! How am I supposed to "nap when the baby naps" when I have a toddler wandering around the house? How am I supposed to find time to get my body back when I spend all waking hours feeding, cleaning or scheduling everyone else's life?! Is this the mind I have left? Will I ever see the old me again? Where is my energy?! Yeah, I remember all of that vividly and thinking that the day couldn't come sooner that they all turn 18 and leave my house. How is that for good mommy-ing? They are 4 & 6 now, and I'm finally feeling the cobwebs subside. Thank goodness you have writing to keep those brain cells exercised. Mine are still recovering from atrophy.

| November 11, 2008 @ 3:52 am

16. Beth said,

Oh, wow, I am SOOOO excited to find your blog! Sippy Cups are not for Chardonnay was the ONLY baby book I could read and I give it to all my pregnant friends. You are an amazing writer — and mom. I am so excited to have found your blog! :o)

| November 11, 2008 @ 4:17 am

17. Amanda said,

I read your other post, but I’m too lazy to register to comment there. As the mommy of a 13 pound 8-month-old, I completely understand. And she wasn’t even a preemie. The weight checks, the doctors, the feeding logs, the extra calorie feedings, the frustrations!!! I could go on and on. Just wanted to tell you that you aren’t alone.

| November 11, 2008 @ 7:11 am

18. Rabbadingy said,

Info on Kim’s “Big Papa”

| November 11, 2008 @ 9:50 pm

so bummer about those motherhood issues.

but seriously, kim is a nut. and i love NeNe. why is she such a target?

this atlanta seris is pretty good. just saw that orange county is coming back for another season in late november.

hoo hoo.

| November 12, 2008 @ 4:15 pm

20. Pat Montgomery said,

In the words of Gilda Radner,”It’s always something.” Being a mom can be so nerve-wracking. Just remember, if they haven’t put her on tube feedings, something is goig right. Good luck!

| November 12, 2008 @ 11:21 pm

21. Adlibby said,

I just realized that there is a full moon tonight. I think that explains the atmosphere of CraZy that has been surrounding my house this week. I just blogged today about how I almost ate my young this morning! Hang in there. After every bad day… well, sooner or later they make you snort milk out your nose with some funny thing or another. It ebbs and flows. Sending hugs!

| November 13, 2008 @ 12:02 am

22. Ms. Bar B: said,

Happy Birthday to all the babies!

And yes, Kim is…well…crazy as hell. Nene has got to be my favorite. That song she made up about Kim…PRICELESS!

And I quote, “she say she 29, but she really 89″. Hahaha. Wheeeewwww.

| November 13, 2008 @ 7:16 am

23. Kaza said,

Hey there! BIG fan of your books (just finished the second one) and new reader of your blog.

Re Kim on the Atlanta version of housewives: I just watched it last night and I must agree, it is one of the best things ever to happen to trashy reality t.v. watchers like you and me! It just doesn’t get any better than that. Srsly.

| November 21, 2008 @ 6:04 pm