Sadie Update

Guess what. We had enough of all of these different therapist’s with all their different opinions and approaches to my daughter’s lack of interest in food. I knew that all the infant massage with oils to bad Enya-like music wasn’t going to cure her of what is keeping her so small. So, I made an executive decision and got Sadie an appointment with a sought after GI at Cedar’s Sinai – bonus – they accept our insurance. I gave the office assistant my sob story and pleaded with her to get Sadie in as soon as possible and she made it happen.

Our appointment was yesterday and due to my insane stress level and anxiety over all of these appointments, Jon graciously offered to take Sadie in. He brought along two pages of bullet pointed notes that we fastidiously wrote out to make sure that the doctor would be armed with every bit of info. Of course I kept coming up with new things to put on the list so you can add obsessive compulsive to my maladies. Luckily, while Jon was at the doctor’s office I was a mere 12 foot walk from my bottle of Xanax.

The new doctor listened to all of Sadie’s trials and tribulations and couldn’t believe that she wasn’t rescoped after her last endoscopy which found yeast. Given her symptoms, the Enya massages aren’t a good treatment for an actual physical reason like not eating because you’re uncomfortable AGAIN. You know how when you go to a new hairdresser they always have to say, “Oh wow, who cut your hair last? They really didn’t know what they were doing!” and then you feel like a big pile of shit because obviously you’ve been walking around with a turd on your head masquerading as a hairdo? Well, it’s been sort of like that with doctors for us. Each one is a little appalled at whatever the last one told us – like with the Cool-Whip incident.

But this doctor I trust. Sadie’s being treated again with Nystatin and she’s already eating better. She will be rescoped later this month and if we still find yeast she will need to see an infectious disease specialist. Oh yeah, we’re getting bigtime. But for right now, she’s babbling away in the swing having just gotten milk drunk on four whole oz of formula which she took without squirming.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on August 1, 2008 10:16 pmUncategorized41 comments

1. Rachel said,

So glad your little one is finding some relief…again. Poor thing.

| August 1, 2008 @ 11:39 pm

2. Middle Aged woman said,

Here’s hoping things are better for her…and you!

| August 1, 2008 @ 11:45 pm

3. Marinka said,

I’m glad that you trust this doctor and following your instincts. My fingers are crossed for you and Sadie. (and once I had a new hairstylist who asked, I swear, “did you cut your hair yourself?”)

| August 1, 2008 @ 11:50 pm

4. pixiemama said,

Go, Sadie go! Pound that formula!

Yeast is bad, bad stuff. My son – who has had a bloated belly since he was tiny – is finally on Nystatin, and he’s doing so well. The strangest thing? His constant sinus congestion has cleared. The doc who was smart enough to prescribe the Nystatin thinks that the yeast found his sinuses a very convenient place to reside (no big shock for organisms that like warm, wet, dark places, right? so how did the other docs miss it?)

Hope your Xanax is working. I find the XR formula to be a life saver. I hope my doc never says I should stop taking it.

| August 1, 2008 @ 11:57 pm

5. Deezee said,

that hair experience? yeah, been there. quite recently, in fact.

glad your tot has found some relief.

| August 2, 2008 @ 12:02 am

6. Aunt Becky said,

I’m going to send your old MD a package of my poo.

| August 2, 2008 @ 12:20 am

7. sueinithaca said,

Is there a reason your doctor doesn’t want to go straight to Infant Diflucan? I (and my baby) have had several cases of thrush, and have found that all the yeast we’ve encountered has been resistant to nystatin. The more intractible cases responded very well to diflucan, though (generally a two week course). Anyway, something to suggest to the doc before seeing an infectious disease specialist, if it comes to that.

| August 2, 2008 @ 12:50 am

8. Mama Cass said,

My daughter had a horrible time with gaining weight and eating into toddlerhood. TRUST your instincts about this…doctors overlook things when they assume your situation is just another like the rest, and sometimes it isn’t. You know her better than anyone!

| August 2, 2008 @ 1:08 am

9. merlotmom said,

Good for you for going with your gut. It always works best for me. Xanax works great, too.

| August 2, 2008 @ 1:27 am

10. MomHOP said,

I am SO glad you are climbing to the top with Sadie’s health care. Too bad the likes of us can’t call a meeting of the experts, like Ted Kennedy and John Kerry, to debate which is the right way to approach a healthcare issue.

Good luck!

| August 2, 2008 @ 1:50 am

11. babyshrink said,

YOU GO, girl. I’m glad you found someone you like and trust!

| August 2, 2008 @ 1:51 am

12. Rachael said,

I’m glad you’ve found hope again with this new doctor! I’ll be thinking of you guys!

| August 2, 2008 @ 4:34 am

13. anymommy said,

Hurray! Keep guzzling that milk Sadie. I am so glad that you trust this doctor and hope that she is clear the next time around.

| August 2, 2008 @ 5:07 am

14. tysdaddy said,

I’ve been a diabetic for many years. My father before me has battled the disease for most of my life. I’ve read journals, magazines, books, websites . . . I’ve tried to stay informed. And I still find it interesting that few doctors I’ve seen have the same methodologies and prescriptive advice.

Here’s hoping you’ve found a good one . . . for Sadie’s sake.

I’m new here, and it’s a pleasure to read your stuff. The picture at the top hooked me . . .

Have a nice weekend!

| August 2, 2008 @ 1:02 pm

15. reneedesigns said,

I’m glad that you’ve found this new doctor. Hopefully he will lead you to the right answer.

| August 2, 2008 @ 3:01 pm

16. Carolyn...Online said,

Go Sadie! Chug whatcha got.

| August 2, 2008 @ 3:10 pm

17. Kristin.... said,

Good for you! I’m so glad you found a doctor that seems to know what the heck is going on. I’ll keep cheering for Miz Sadie!

| August 2, 2008 @ 3:12 pm

18. Kyddryn said,

Huzzah for Sadie! And for you, too.

I’m glad to read that she ate and wasn’t feeling tortured about it, and that you finally have a doctor who is willing to LISTEN to you and actually do something productive about whatever’s happening with the little miss.

Shade and Sweetwater,
    K

| August 2, 2008 @ 4:17 pm

19. Pearl said,

I hope this is a turning point for Sadie and things just get better from here.

| August 2, 2008 @ 4:17 pm

20. elise - All Or Nothing said,

My gosh I can only imagine how relieving this must be! I am so, so happy for y’all that you’ve found a good doc who makes you feel ease.

I KNOW this isn’t even in the same hemisphere of importance, but when we got our German Shepherd, she refused to eat. For almost a year. We tried EVERYTHING, every food, every vet, every remedy, everything, seriously. I would have to sit on the floor with her, pry open her jaws, put the food in, force her jaws shut, and hope she didn’t just spit it back out. It was terrible. And then we finally found this amazing vet who did all the right things and figured out her problem and now, almost a year later, she’s AWESOME. It’s like a miracle. And with a CHILD, way, way more so.

So anyway, I hope my dog story didn’t offend you (I promise I wasn’t equating the two) and I am so thrilled that you are in good care!

| August 2, 2008 @ 5:16 pm

21. kia said,

So happy to hear that you’ve found a doc whose opinion you value and who is taking Sadie’s issues seriously. Congrats! Keep us posted on all of her progess!

| August 2, 2008 @ 9:27 pm

22. Rebecca said,

I have just spent half my weekened at the hospital with my wee boy who has bronchiolitis (a common viral chest infection for infants). It’s been a while since I have had to cope with a seriously sick baby and it’s been exhausting. Now I’ve just spent half a weekend, you’ve spent all of Sadie’s life worrying and trying to cope. I think you’ve been coping amazingly well – some people would run screaming from the building, never to return.

I also love your sense of humour. Very gallows, a little like mine. When we were at the hospital with Jacob all his paperwork comes up that he is twin one. When the ernest young dr asked me how twin two was I immediately replied he’s dead. I didn’t mean to sound flippant really – it just came out that way. (My beautiful twin two Findlay was still born and sorely missed – I was just stating facts).

| August 2, 2008 @ 9:45 pm

23. CaraBee said,

What a relief to find a doctor you trust. Glad to hear Sadie is on the mend.

| August 2, 2008 @ 10:26 pm

24. Cheryl Lage said,

Love to see this:
    “But this doctor I trust.”

Perfection, and it seems Sadie is keen on his tip, too.

Hope she hits the bottle big time again tonight…it is Saturday after all…

So glad for you, Stef! Corner turned…I believe it.

| August 2, 2008 @ 11:14 pm

25. Count Mockula said,

Hey, that’s fantastic! I’m glad you’re getting the best care for her. Enya massages would make me tense…

| August 2, 2008 @ 11:44 pm

26. iheartchocolate said,

FAN-tastic. That is great news, also the xanax. Always good.

| August 3, 2008 @ 12:43 am

27. Melisa@andbabywillmake4 said,

That is such great news! I am one who truly believe in second, third and fourth opinions. Especially when in your gut you know that the explanations and “cures” aren’t right!

| August 3, 2008 @ 12:53 am

28. sarah said,

Stefanie, I’m so glad you finally got some reassuring news from this doctor and that you followed your gut (no pun intended) on this one. I hope miss Sadie is feeling better and keeps downing that formula with gusto!

I hope you’re able to find a bit of peace and get out from underneath the anxiety now that things are looking up!

| August 3, 2008 @ 1:09 am

29. cooler*doula said,

Let’s hear it for Nystatin!

A wondrous little thing, that’s helped clear up a little yeast incident we had over here. So now *I* can feed *him* without squirming.

Seriously though – hooray for doctors that listen and get it. Go Sadie.

| August 3, 2008 @ 1:21 am

30. Candace said,

nothing like having a constant pit in your stomach, huh? Keep us updated on her progress. sounds like she’s in the right direction.

| August 3, 2008 @ 4:11 pm

31. Beth said,

I just recently found your blog and read Sadie’s history. Poor baby. I’m so glad you found a dr. who sounds like he knows what he is doing and who you can trust. It was a relief to ME to hear that she just drank 4 oz of formula LOL!

| August 3, 2008 @ 7:46 pm

32. Catwoman said,

Four ounces of formula? Damn! Did she go drunk calling ex-boyfriends after that or buying food dehydrators from infomercials?

Glad you’ve found a doctor you trust and who doesn’t think Cool Whip is the solution to all of life’s problems (we all know tequila does that job)

| August 4, 2008 @ 2:47 pm

33. Sleep Deprivation Ninja said,

Last time a hairdresser told had the audacity to ask me who cut my hair last–and then give me a hard time about cutting it myself–I destroyed his little studio and left him crying. Now my wife cuts my hair.

| August 4, 2008 @ 2:52 pm

34. Amy in Ohio said,

She'll be binging on m&m's and oreos in no time – great to hear.

| August 4, 2008 @ 3:10 pm

35. Undomestic Diva said,

Yay for Sadie.

(On a side note, be very cautious if they recommend surgery. My sister had GI issues that finally resulted in surgery – also w/ ped gi docs from cedars – and it’s been a very long road. The docs were amazing there, but the surgeries are very serious.)

| August 4, 2008 @ 4:36 pm

36. ChicMama! said,

Awesome news – congrats. Keep marching forward…

| August 4, 2008 @ 4:43 pm

37. heather said,

FOUR OUNCES? AT ONCE? Clearly, Maddie needs to go on Nystatin. Damn.

| August 4, 2008 @ 5:36 pm

38. Andee said,

4 oz! That is wonderful! Hopefully this doctor will know what he is talking about,and you will have some answers. Sometimes, having answers is half the battle. Good luck!

| August 5, 2008 @ 2:00 pm

39. help4newmoms said,

Big, big smile! So glad for you guys!

| August 9, 2008 @ 1:06 pm

40. Piccinigirl said,

so glad for good dr’s, hoping little Sadie feels a little better every single day.

| August 12, 2008 @ 2:49 pm