Sadie Endoscopy Take Two

Tomorrow Sadie will get scoped again to check for fungus in her esophagus. The procedure got moved up a week because the awesome new doctor is, well, awesome and made it happen. But, unfortunately for me, I can’t go with her because I have a meeting at the same exact time which has been a month in the making and can’t be moved. But her daddy will be with her. She will be sedated (twenty twenty twenty four hours ago-oh-oh I wanna be sedated) which didn’t happen the first time around. According to her new doctor, the fact that she wasn’t sedated was…um…to put it delicately, barbaric. WTF?

Last time we did this my husband couldn’t go with me to the surgery center so I brought the next best thing: my friend Diana. Of course, with the two of us sitting there with little Sadie in her carrier between us, we were clearly mistaken for “co-parents – AKA life partners” I found it highly amusing that the nurses spoke directly to both of us at all times in order to remain politically correct.

The endoscopy itself was thankfully quick and my life partner and I were brought back into the OR and to collect her ten minutes later where she lay, dry eyed, in the arms of a nurse sucking a pacifier. That won’t be happening this time. Sadie wants nothing to do with pacifiers. They may as well be made of chicken liver the way she spits them out of her mouth.

I’m hoping we find yeast again just so we don’t have to do an upper GI study and/or more tests. Can’t I just put the girl on Monistat and call it a day?

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on August 19, 2008 10:25 pmUncategorized31 comments

1. Rachel said,

I’ll cross my fingers for yeast…I honestly can’t say I have ever done that before…

| August 19, 2008 @ 11:24 pm

2. anymommy said,

I was going to post exactly the same thing. Fingers and toes crossed for yeast. Hope it all goes smoothly.

| August 19, 2008 @ 11:36 pm

3. Aunt Becky said,

I’m pretty sure this is the first time in my whole life I’ve ever prayed for yeast. Seriously.

Well, unless you count the time I was hoping it was yeast and NOT an STD.

| August 19, 2008 @ 11:42 pm

4. Middle Aged Woman said,

Aaaaaah! Monistat! Crossing my legs and running away! At the same time! Stay tuned for humorous crash!

Good luck tomorrow. Here, take my lucky star.

| August 19, 2008 @ 11:44 pm

5. heather... said,

Um…Barbaric? WTF? Mads was sedated for some test (like I can remember which one?) and she was super sleepy the rest of the day. It was AWESOME.

| August 19, 2008 @ 11:53 pm

6. Mama Cass said,

SO, my daughter totally had one of these at nine months and was NOT sedated, and I thought it was totally barbaric, but I never knew a doctor would back me up on that. Oh, I feel horrible!

| August 20, 2008 @ 12:41 am

7. CaraBee said,

YEAST! YEAST! YEAST! Here’s hoping!

| August 20, 2008 @ 12:53 am

8. Kyddryn said,

I’ll be hoping for the best!

Shade and Sweetwater,
    K

| August 20, 2008 @ 1:14 am

9. MereCat said,

Here’s to some yeast. You all need some relief.

*merecat shakes crossed fingers high overhead*

| August 20, 2008 @ 1:33 am

10. Jamie said,

Because children are so very important…. I will say… yeah for the yeast – hope everything goes well.

Second, anyone who quotes a Ramones song in a blog – is pretty much my blog idol and I shall worship you –

| August 20, 2008 @ 1:53 am

11. Southern Lily said,

I’ve been reading your blog for a while and decided to start one of my own. My positive vibes are going out to you and yours. Good luck with it all

| August 20, 2008 @ 2:26 am

12. Lil Mouse said,

I like chicken livers, but I hope whatever you’re looking for you’ll get if nothing else to make life a little easier. poor kid.

| August 20, 2008 @ 2:42 am

13. Shannon said,

More fingers crossed here! I cannot imagine how frustrating this has been for you guys. And yay for an awesome doctor. Finally.

| August 20, 2008 @ 3:42 am

14. Eckmama said,

Will be keeping your sweet baby girl (and her doctors, nurses, and parents!) in my prayers tomorrow. I hope all goes perfectly.

| August 20, 2008 @ 4:57 am

15. Rebecca said,

go the ramones! go sadie! go you! (not necessarily in that order). and be gone yeast!

| August 20, 2008 @ 8:32 am

16. Bec (bad mummy) said,

I hope it goes well and they find something nice and easy to treat.

| August 20, 2008 @ 10:24 am

17. Willow said,

Wishing Sadie the very best of luck, and the same for you in your meeting.

| August 20, 2008 @ 11:45 am

18. Bonnie said,

Fungus in the throat. Not such a pleasant thing to read first thing in the a.m. And I can’t imagine it is pleasant for little Sadie to have.

All right, thinking positive yeast thoughts for you in Austin TX.

| August 20, 2008 @ 2:15 pm

19. Piccinigirl said,

hoping it went well with Sadie and that yeast was found and can be removed/flattened/erased.

| August 20, 2008 @ 2:44 pm

20. Aubrey Anne said,

Wow, this sounds like a miserable thing to have to go through with your child… and you have to sit in a meeting and try not to worry! :( Good luck with it all, and I’m praying too.

| August 20, 2008 @ 2:55 pm

21. Catwoman said,

Will hubby be bringing his life partner? Because that would only seem fair.

Good luck to Sadie tomorrow, hopefully they can help with whatever they find!

| August 20, 2008 @ 3:14 pm

22. ChicMama! said,

Good luck! Pulling for you…and this new doc sounds GREAT. Great docs are out there…

Also, total sidebar and not at all topical. Would love to know whether you saw the roast of Bob Saget, and what you thought (you know, since you’re a real comedian and all).

| August 20, 2008 @ 4:06 pm

23. Pearl said,

Good luck and I am hoping for the best for you guys. =)

| August 20, 2008 @ 4:23 pm

24. Ms. Bar B: said,

So sorry to hear that she is having such a hard time with her health. I will say a prayer for her. I can relate to the “life partners” thing… everytime that one of my bff, my daughter and I arrive for dinner at a restaurant before all of our other friends and are waiting to be seated I think everyone thinks that we are a family too, lol.

Good luck.

| August 20, 2008 @ 6:04 pm

25. HeatherPride said,

Hey, good luck with everything! I hate it that the first doctor apparently screwed up and went all Conan the Barbarian on you. I hope it all goes the right way this time!

| August 20, 2008 @ 6:25 pm

26. Hot Mamma said,

Fingers crossed!

| August 20, 2008 @ 7:07 pm

27. WickedStepMom said,

Good Luck Sadie!

I hope that it is just yeast again too.

| August 20, 2008 @ 7:09 pm

28. CP said,

Crossing my fingers for an easy time for Sadie and a result of yeast.

| August 20, 2008 @ 8:42 pm

call me a buttinski…If it’s yeast, yay… But have they considered some meds for gastric reflux? I had a kiddo who had troubles and would not eat because he associated it with tummy hurt- also had trouble with yeast infections. I think it was the peds version of Pepcid in liquid form, special mix at the pharmacy. Eventually, once the meds kicked in, he turned into a porker baby and had no more belly aches. Hope you get it resolved soon…I followed some other links and somehow wound up here. Nee

| August 21, 2008 @ 12:57 am

30. BabyShrink said,

What’s up with all these babies needing procedures? My 2-year-old had a hernia surgery yesetrday, and he was sedated for over 2 hours. My brother’s baby was rushed to the ER, totally unrelated. My mother says “the moon is in feces”, with all of this going on.

Hope all goes well; I bet you never thought you’d be hoping for a fungus. But hopefully all will be well! Good luck Sadie!

| August 21, 2008 @ 3:15 am