I Promised I Wouldn’t…

continue to obsess about Sadie’s mystery “allergy to eating.” Yes, I do have the new doc I like but she doesn’t see Sadie until the end of the month for the endoscopy. Sadie was taking Nystatin and doing fantabulous (to quote Bunky from season one of Big Brother) but now she’s on an eating strike again. Today, she’s taken a whopping five oz. of formula all day. Yes, you read that right. It’s 5:45 here on the west coast and that’s all she’s had. When the bottle get within eyesight she cries. I’ve left two messages for the GI but “she’s not returning calls until tomorrow” was what I was told. Not good times here today.

Also, my three-year-old couldn’t go to school today for reasons I won’t go into to preserve her privacy. Oh fuck it, she couldn’t POOP. Yeah, you read that right. She stayed home due to constipation. When’s the last time you didn’t go to work because you needed to stay close to your own bathroom. Don’t answer that. So between both twins, my nanny, my daughter, her friend who came over for a playdate since I didn’t want her to be without any fun all day and my sister-in-law who dropped by for support, there have been a total of seven vaginas in my house for much of the day. That’s six vaginas too many if you ask me.

I heart pain pills if you’re holding.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on August 13, 2008 12:41 amUncategorized36 comments

1. Lisa said,

I can relate to the too many girls in the house part. School starts next week and I gleefully enrolled the two girls in the after-school program as well. I was positively giddy when I realized that for ONCE, I got there before there was a waiting list.

| August 13, 2008 @ 12:57 am

2. Cheryl Lage said,

Ugh. So sorry about the overload of girl parts. (I use that descriptor even more now since a bad review on Amazon slammed me for it). My daughter is SIX (and so not menstruating yet, thank you organic milk), but I swear she gets all amped up right along with me during my cycle.

So sorry for the perpetuation of eating issues. It WILL rectify well and soon. (and for a woman mid-cramp-fest to say that, it HAS to count for something…)

Hang in there, Stef. And for heaven’s sakes Elby, POO!

| August 13, 2008 @ 1:15 am

3. Middle Aged woman said,

Got pain pills, but as I am most of the way across the country, I fear they will not help. Can totally sympathize with constipation issues.

| August 13, 2008 @ 1:18 am

4. Aunt Becky said,

That’s a whole lotta lady bits, man.

| August 13, 2008 @ 1:31 am

5. Andrea said,

OMG just found your blog and that is too damn funny! I am new mom of a 4 month old and I can only imagine what him not eating would be like. Eek! Hang in there girl. We are all going through it!

| August 13, 2008 @ 2:09 am

6. Rachel said,

If you’re ever in Texas I’ll hook you up :) Poor little Sadie. She is too young to have an eating disorder. Maybe you should lay off America’s Next Top Model for a while.

| August 13, 2008 @ 2:28 am

7. giggleblue said,

i hear mary kate may have some left over pain pills…

| August 13, 2008 @ 2:38 am

8. Bonnie said,

I’ll trade you some vaginas for penises…

| August 13, 2008 @ 3:28 am

9. Shannon said,

what Bonnie said.

| August 13, 2008 @ 5:14 am

10. Surfer Jay said,

Food going out tends to be just as important as food going in.

My nine week old has really fussy days when he hasn’t dropped a deuce in a couple days. Not fun for us.

| August 13, 2008 @ 5:29 am

11. Eckmama said,

Feed her GRAPES. Green ones. (Your 3 year old, not the baby, obviously.) Not too too many or she’ll get diarrhea, but grapes and as much water as you can get in her. AND, if you can get some Benefiber, you can add small amounts to her food and drinks (on a regular basis, not just in this circumstance) without her even noticing because it has no taste. Fiber is our friend!
    I am just a mom (of 4), not a medical professional, but these things have worked for us. : ) Good luck with the pooping ; ) and I’ll be keeping your baby girl in my prayers.

| August 13, 2008 @ 5:59 am

12. Rebecca said,

Elby – lactulose. Sadie – sorry no immediate answers. Hope the GI is full of useful advice that WORKS. I laughed out loud at the too many vaginas…

| August 13, 2008 @ 6:39 am

13. LiteralDan said,

Don’t you want at least one spare around in case you get a flat?

| August 13, 2008 @ 7:21 am

14. Miss Understood said,

My son didn’t eat AT ALL for years. And years.

He suvived on a mouthfull of cereal and two bites of a sandwich every day for about 10 years. I saw numerous doctors. I screamed and cried and pleaded and pulled my hair out. I was so worried.

It got to the stage where meal times were terrible for me. I swear he sensed my axiety, and it just made the whole thing worse.

But just like the doctors said that he’d get over it…he did.

I know how terrible it is…but try to stay calm and try not to worry.

My son is 19 now, and eats like a horse :)

| August 13, 2008 @ 9:12 am

15. Marinka said,

Actually, a friend of mine cancelled dinner with me once because she hadn’t pooped for days and wanted to go home to try. Or maybe she just didn’t want to use the “I’m washing my hair tonight” excuse.

| August 13, 2008 @ 11:09 am

16. Mrs. Incredible said,

I have 6 kids, and I don't worry about too much any more, but I would worry about Sadie, too. So don't feel guilty for being obsessive, you are being a GOOD MOM. Babies by definition are supposed to sleep and eat and poop and coo and cry, and she is not doing what she should.

As for the poop issues, there is a new Pedia-Lax that has been helpful in our house (and faster than stuffing the kids full of applesauce & prune juice). You can find it in the pharmacy section of any store.

Good luck. Hang in there.
    Corey

| August 13, 2008 @ 11:32 am

17. surcie said,

You can promise not to obsess all you want, Missy. But you’re a mutha with babies, and obsession is part of the gig. Actually, it’s still part of the gig when they’re not babies. Make no apologies.

| August 13, 2008 @ 12:52 pm

18. Mom to the Girls said,

OMG! You talk about it all you want sista! I’d be stressin’ right now… Is it really possible to have to many vagina’s in one house? LOL

| August 13, 2008 @ 12:57 pm

19. Carolyn...Online said,

Dude, Canadian pharmacies will ship you anything. Seriously. Put that order in proto with overnight shipping.

| August 13, 2008 @ 12:59 pm

20. Mommy Melee said,

Oh lady.

That sucks balls.

But dude, keep posting about obsessing if you’re obsessing. We’re listening.

| August 13, 2008 @ 1:35 pm

21. Piccinigirl said,

sounds like a good day for a shot!!

hope that tomorrow is less vagina and more painless.

all of wish we could switch with Sadie, I’ll go on a hunger stike if she eats the cream cheese danish I shouldn’t be eating in the first place.

| August 13, 2008 @ 1:49 pm

22. Jamie said,

I think I got the pills but I am fairly certain it’s against some federal law to “transport drugs across state lines” blah blah – Hope things get better for both of your little ones – that one will eat and the other can poop – May the force be with you ~

| August 13, 2008 @ 3:05 pm

23. Mama Ginger Tree said,

I thought I was the only one who watched Big Brother. I feel a little bit better about myself. Thank you.

| August 13, 2008 @ 3:14 pm

24. DivaDunn said,

OK – I swear I’m not a whacko vegan or anything and I dont even eat granola… But has anyone suggested a round of Probiotics? If she has been on a lot of antibiotics since she was born, her flora might be caput and leading the the fungus / digestive tract issues?

Anyway, sorry for the assvice… here’s to eatin, poopin and poppin – and hopefully things will be better tomorrow!

| August 13, 2008 @ 3:46 pm

25. pixiemama said,

Yes, please, probiotic that baby. Renew Life makes a stellar probiotic powder – Flora Baby. She can take it while she’s on the antifungal, just not at the exact same time.

Also, when you’re online at the Canadian pharmacy, remember that taking too many pain pills can make you constipated – so slip yourself a little Benefiber or ExLax while you’re at it.

And feel better.

| August 13, 2008 @ 4:20 pm

26. Tuesday Girl said,

I can relate both myself and my five year old have constipation problems. You know what helps us? Kefir. Go buy it in bulk.

You can thank me later.

| August 13, 2008 @ 8:21 pm

27. Sleep Deprivation Ninja said,

I once was on a deadly mission and my backup ninja called in with constipation. I don’t know about him but I had a really shitty battle.

| August 13, 2008 @ 11:36 pm

28. Nut Nut said,

I can’t imagine what you’re going through. I read the newest post as well, and I’m sorry you have to deal with freaks who just want to call attention to themselves. Your situation makes me remember to hug my little boy a few more times a day.

| August 14, 2008 @ 4:11 am

29. www.startswithanx.com said,

You have a nanny? Does she have a British accent and wear glasses and a tight bun?

| August 14, 2008 @ 4:53 am

30. Diane said,

I noticed some commenters mentioned probiotics. I gave my son Baby’s Jarro-Dophilus from Whole Foods when after six bottles of Rx didn’t cure his thrush. Less than a week later he was clear of it and I just kept him on a daily dose until he was old enough to eat yogurt. It seemed to really help his digestive tract too.

You are a mom, you are supposed to be overly concerned. After watching too many episodes of Jon and Kate plus 8, I’ve decided that becoming a mommy guarantees a bit of craziness in the head—and that is ok. Sadie is just testing you now. Wait until she is 16!! :-)

| August 14, 2008 @ 12:16 pm

31. Amy in Ohio said,

Thinking of you.

| August 14, 2008 @ 2:35 pm

32. Rachel said,

you’re just fuckin’ funny! keep it up

| August 14, 2008 @ 10:44 pm

33. supermom said,

lol Sooooo many vagina’s. I could trade…many male bits in my house!

I hope they can sort out little Sadie’s eating habits (or lack thereof I should say?)

| August 15, 2008 @ 8:33 am

34. Gwendolyn Peregrine said,

My baby has feeding issues too. She’s 1 year old and 14 lbs. It sucks that doctors think it’s okay to never determine the cause of these kids’ problems. Check out the Yahoo group “feeding” for support, it may help.

| August 15, 2008 @ 1:08 pm

Have you tried a formula called Nutramigen? It was liquid gold for my daughter who had feeding issues. Everything else made her sick and she just didn’t want to eat. But when I started her on Nutramigen, she gobbled it all up and never looked back. It’s worth a shot to get one can and see how your daughter does with it.

| August 16, 2008 @ 4:27 am

Constipated? Get your daughter into a swimming pool. I swear, once they start to swim they relax and suddenly have to go. My daughter was constipated for 3 years – oh the struggles, the crying, the hand wringing, the leaking, the dr’s, then… the swimming. She started to swim competitively and never was constipated again. My friend’s daughter too – constipated – in the pool – and then: presto
    just a suggestion good luck

| August 26, 2008 @ 4:13 am