Won’t You Be My Friend?

I’m going to BlogHer this year. I’ve been blogging for quite a few years (three +) and I’ve never been to any type of “event.” I find it hard enough to leave the house to pick up some El Pollo Loco to go let alone get my ass out of town for two days sans babies. But I’m doing it; putting on a brave face and saying hello to my fellow blog keepers; drinking; signing copies of my books (Sat. 12 – 12:45 with Stephanie Klein) and probably getting more sleep than I do at home.

The only problem is, I don’t know anyone who’s going and I’m all scared like I’m going to camp with no friends. Will there be a canteen? Where are the bathrooms? Who will like me and who will shun me? I’m not shy but I’m also not a joiner and not big on walking up to people, shaking their hand and saying, way too brightly, “Hi! I’m Stefanie from Baby On Bored dot blogspot dot com.” I’m more likely to say, “What up bitch?” and then alienate someone for the rest of the convention.

So, are you going?

Update on my book title (there are winners)

It’s Not Me, It’s You: Subjective Recollections of a Terminally Optimistic, Frequently Sarcastic, Occasionally Inebriated Woman

Do you like it? Huh? Huh?

BTW : Dixlet, if you are reading, you and Undomestic Diva won my title contest. But I can’t contact you cause your blog doesn’t seem to exist. So email me, wontcha?

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on July 3, 2008 7:49 pmUncategorized42 comments

1. Aunt Becky said,

I’m dying to go but I’m not. Something about “no babysitters” and well, “no babysitters.” Otherwise I’d be all over you like white on rice.

| July 3, 2008 @ 9:01 pm

2. Tuesday Girl said,

I wish! No funds to go this year but maybe just maybe next year.
    Then I will be all “what up bitch!” right back to you.

| July 3, 2008 @ 9:06 pm

3. Twenty Four At Heart said,

I wish I was. But I’m a newbie and I’ve never been to any type of blogging event before. I’d be scared … like I was going to camp. I would be worried about sitting all by myself and no one liking me. I’m not a joiner. Jeez, maybe we are long lost sisters?

| July 3, 2008 @ 9:14 pm

4. sarah said,

I wish!! Considering I am currently living in a hotel in Burbank while I wait for a giant truck to deliver everything I own in this world to my new house, I’m thinking Husband would laugh himself sick if I brought up BlogHer.

But maybe next year!

| July 3, 2008 @ 9:17 pm

5. iheartchocolate said,

I wish. I’d totally be your friend, if you’d be mine.

| July 3, 2008 @ 9:19 pm

6. Leslie said,

Stefanie –

Wish I was – but as you know I’m a newbie. I’ll leave Blogher to the pros – like you. But if I did go, you could say “what up, bitch” to me. I’d be totally down with that.

Have a great time and tell us all about it when you get back.

| July 3, 2008 @ 9:27 pm

7. Backpacking Dad said,

You’re going to BlogHer? Oh hey! I was thinking about going to Blogher! Maybe I’ll see you there! I should give you my phone number and then you and I can hang out in the back like we’re the cool kids even though we just don’t know anyone and are afraid to introduce ourselves.

;}

| July 3, 2008 @ 9:31 pm

8. Erika Jurney said,

I’ll see you there!

| July 3, 2008 @ 9:33 pm

9. Black Hockey Jesus said,

BPD swoops with confidence.

I sent those BlogHer ladies a demo of me & Jackson in case they needed a kickoff band to blow the fucking doors off that convention but I haven’t heard back. They must be idiots. All I asked for was free passes, beer, and a buttload of Strawberry Twizzlers for Jack. Again, idiots.

What’s the title of your book, STEFANIE?

| July 3, 2008 @ 10:04 pm

10. Count Mockula said,

Suebob of Red Stapler is the one who told me about you, and she’s going. She’s SUPER-nice, and a great dinner companion. I went last year and met her and had a great time. I also can recommend for friendship Suzanne of cussandotherrants.com and her friend who blogs as Alex Elliot (flexibleparenting.com). I personally hung out with them at BlogHer last year and had the time of my life. Suzanne’s got a book signing too, on Friday.

| July 3, 2008 @ 10:40 pm

11. Neil said,

I might go. But I don’t believe for one second that you are shy or afraid of being a newbie. I know you will be the first one dancing on the table.

| July 3, 2008 @ 10:56 pm

12. Stefanie said,

Neil, you are probably right. Especially if there is alcohol involved. Plus, who doesn’t like to be called bitch? Well, who that I’d want to be around?

| July 3, 2008 @ 11:08 pm

13. CaraBee said,

I would love to go. It would be really amazing to meet all of my blogging idols (like you), or just ogle them (you) from a distance because I would never have the courage to walk up and say hi. But alas, too far, too expensive, can’t leave the baby. No chance. Have a great time!

| July 3, 2008 @ 11:23 pm

14. SUEB0B said,

I’m going. Email me (suebobdavisATgmail) and I will give you my phone number so you can call me or txt me if you need someone to come hold your hand.

I am speaking on Saturday in the childless blogger panel.

BlogHer is totally cool. Imagine a place where everyone gets what you do – and there is cool swag besides. All good.

| July 4, 2008 @ 2:32 am

15. y said,

I told you that you can hang out with me! We’re all excited about spending time with you and here you are acting as if you have no one! I’VE BEEN C’HAD!

| July 4, 2008 @ 2:38 am

16. crazedparent/charlene from yahoo! shine said,

i’ll be there. look forward to meeting you (again…we met at some disney thing a way back)

but what i want to know is…who wants to place a bet on how many times blogher peeps will walk up to stefanie and say “What up bitch!”

| July 4, 2008 @ 3:40 am

17. CP said,

I’m hoping you’ll hang out with Kim and I (from 3giraffes) and have a drink or two. We’d love it!

| July 4, 2008 @ 4:51 am

18. Catwoman said,

Seriously, I would totally go except that I thought it’d be all Dooce-like people and I’d end up eating my lunch in a stall in the girls’ room like I did for two weeks in grade 10.

I hope you have a blast and I can’t wait to hear what you thought!

| July 4, 2008 @ 11:31 am

19. surcie said,

I’ve been blogging for 3 an 1/2 years and every year, I want to go but don’t. Because unlike vous, I am shy. Given a choice between making small talk with strangers at a social gathering or being tortured with a marathon of Living Lohan, I’d take the latter. (I know–it’s just like saying I’d rather be waterboarded.)

| July 4, 2008 @ 12:56 pm

20. Threeundertwo said,

It’s right in my back yard but I’m a newbie so I’m too scared to go.

All of us little people are going to party at the kids table while you cool people are at BlogHer.

Have fun!

| July 4, 2008 @ 2:49 pm

21. RhoRho said,

Sounds fun – thought I joined Blogher but really not sure… Still figuring a lot of this blogging shit out. Anyway I say things like what up Bitch and cuss too much and unwittingly alienate people too! Think I may have you somewhere along the way…? visit me again soon, I’m hangin’ in there with my 3 readers:)
    I’m sure you’ll be one of the “it-girls” at Blogher – no worries!

| July 4, 2008 @ 3:06 pm

22. Undomestic Diva said,

I can’t get thru your email either. Email me at undomesticdiva (at) gmail (dot) com

| July 4, 2008 @ 4:07 pm

I would totally go, just to meet you and get my book signed, but registration closed on the 2nd. Sucks too since I am in the Bay Area for the summer, instead of Iowa, and its only a BART ride away.

| July 4, 2008 @ 4:28 pm

24. Lisa said,

I just started reading your blog today and now I can’t stop. You’ll be the star of BlogHer….

| July 4, 2008 @ 6:46 pm

25. Suburban Turmoil said,

Hello, I am totally going to hog you throughout all of BlogHer. No one else will be able to get a word in edgewise. Don’t worry too much; I have plenty of drink tickets.

| July 4, 2008 @ 7:28 pm

26. Cheryl Lage said,

Like ThreeUnderTwo, still so very new to this whole phenom, and not so sure what it really is…
    (Surely that last morsel of ignorance would relegate me to the fourth cousin of the bride’s step-sister’s table at said-function…)

Plus, if I met people in person they’d realize that even in spoken word I actually rhyme and over-alliterate (still don’t believe there’s such a thing as over-alliteration).

For now, I’ll just use the excuse that I am on the wrong coast.

Have a GREAT time, and have a beverage of your choosing for me.

| July 4, 2008 @ 9:49 pm

27. minnie said,

you can totally say ‘what up bitch’ to me at blogher. probably i will slap you on the ass and hand you a business card.

| July 4, 2008 @ 9:59 pm

28. Elizabeth said,

I’m going and you sort of know me from my blog plus you know I’ll be there in the bookstore to make sure your book signing runs smoothly! You’ll have a big ol’ name tag hanging around your neck from a lanyard, and people will sidle up to you and peer at it, and then say “OMG STEFANIE! I LOVE YOUR BLOG!” and you will stammer something like “oh, thanks! thanks so much! um, who are you?”

You’ll be fine, don’t be scared! You can always find me if you have questions, that’s what I’m there for :)

| July 5, 2008 @ 2:10 am

29. Angry Julie said,

I had made my hotel reservations and everything….months ago!

I can’t seem to get the time off from work. Seriously, you don’t need a crime scene investigator 24/7/365 in Orange County, where there is barely no crime?

And I guess I’m using the money alloted for a girl’s trip to Vegas in August.

I really wanted to go though. Maybe next year.

| July 5, 2008 @ 10:14 pm

30. andi said,

You’re going? Squee! Sorry, I just squeed on your blog. I’ll be there (and stalking you, in a totally non-creepy sort of way…)

| July 6, 2008 @ 1:08 am

31. Chilihead said,

What up, bitch? I’ll totally be at BlogHer and I’m speaking on Friday. I’d LOVE to meet you.

| July 6, 2008 @ 2:41 am

32. Her Bad Mother said,

Well, if Lindsay plans on hogging you then she’s going to have to learn sharesies, fast.

| July 7, 2008 @ 2:54 pm

33. Andrea's Sweet Life said,

I just found your blog today, but let me chime in and tell you I’m going.

I’ll be the one wearing polka-dot converse from Target! You can totally say What Up Bitch! to me, but hopefully you won’t be offended when I respond by saying, “Nuthin Much, Ho!”

| July 8, 2008 @ 3:35 am

34. merlotmom said,

Yo, neighbor bitch, I’ll be there. I love sarcasm and drinking, so we’ll get along just fine. I wasn’t nervous before but all you bitches are making me think twice. You anxiety-ridden assholes will all be having the time of your lives and I’ll be the one sitting in the back corner, sucking on my hair. I hate you all already.

| July 8, 2008 @ 6:32 am

35. A Mom Two Boys said,

Dude, haven’t even finished reading the post because I wanted to comment immediately that I’m going and I’m TOTALLY hanging out with you. Life, we’re gonna be BFF’s.

Now I’m going to read the rest. And probably comment again.

| July 9, 2008 @ 12:46 am

36. A Mom Two Boys said,

Me again. Feel free to walk up to me and call me a bitch. People do it all the time. Especially my sister-in-law, but I think she’s serious.

Can’t wait. And I’m totally getting your book and giving it away on my website when I have the Great AllMediocre Giveaway of ’08 following BlogHer. K, Bitch?

| July 9, 2008 @ 12:49 am

37. Amy in Ohio said,

So excited to meet you. Shall I where something in my hair so you know it’s me.

| July 9, 2008 @ 7:47 pm

38. Amy in Ohio said,

I hate it when I typo in my comments.

Shall I wear something is what I meant.

| July 9, 2008 @ 8:11 pm

39. Stefanie said,

Anyone who said they will be my friend is in! I’m that easy. I pretend to be all cool and unapproachable for my rep but just so you know, it’s bullshit. Just come right up to me and tell me you commented on my blog and we’ll be BFF’s.

| July 9, 2008 @ 8:40 pm

40. Danielle said,

I love the title! It’s great!!

| July 10, 2008 @ 4:03 pm

41. Karen S. said,

I’m going–I’m a total newbie. Really just found out about BlogHer a couple of weeks ago when I joined the team at LA Moms Blog. I’ve been blogging very sporadically since 2006, but mostly for my own amusement. (And I’ve got to say, most of my 2006-07 posts are better, if you end up checking them out…). I’m terrified to go to BlogHer–I’m not good with crowds and am very new to the wider blogosphere world. Maybe we can all meet up there.

You, btw, are HILARIOUS. Love your blog.

Karen S.

| July 10, 2008 @ 5:20 pm

42. Izzy said,

The one year I can’t go you decide to finally show up? Fine. I see how you are. (Hook up with Jennster. She’s a lot of fun)

| July 10, 2008 @ 5:37 pm