Public Service Announcement

Last night I was reading up on all my news and I came across this story on the dangers of flip flops causing car accidents. All I can say is thank God someone is finally shining a light on this, up until now, taboo topic. The article pointed out many dangers of flip flops but finally got to its main point of how these seemingly innocent shoes are a menace to our roads. Why do we as a society choose to turn a blind eye to something that is endangering our very lives everyday? We’re so quick to blame alcohol for fatalities involving automobiles when the real culprit is right under our knees.

Sure they sound innocuous. And they look fun and flirty but beneath their facade lies an evil heart with bad intentions. Get behind the wheel of your car and your once sweet and beflowered shoe can turn on you grab your gas pedal and run you off the road – causing you to commit involuntary manslaughter and go to jail for at least five years (okay, six months provided you don’t try to stab anyone with a spork).

So while you’re partying it up during the rest of this 4th weekend, remember, friends don’t let friends drive wearing flip flops.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on July 4, 2008 12:30 amUncategorized19 comments

1. DadGoneMad said,

Slow news day I guess. 😉

| July 5, 2008 @ 6:40 pm

2. JustameR said,

Wow, who knew flip flops = death and destruction.

| July 5, 2008 @ 7:01 pm

3. carrie said,

Oh yes, and I entirely blame them for nearly falling on my can during last night’s 4th of July festivities . . . thank goodness I took them off to drive home.

| July 5, 2008 @ 8:24 pm

4. sarah said,

I suppose along with the hands-free cell phone laws we will soon be seeing a “feet free” law, too. No shoes allowed. Don’t want to run the risk, you know.

Thank goodness there’s still no law against applying mascara in the rear-view while speeding down the freeway. I did happen to see that the other day. Awesome.

| July 5, 2008 @ 10:24 pm

5. sarah said,

oh, and I will give you a call as soon as I am no longer living in a hotel and can actually think straight for more than a few seconds at a time. :-)

| July 5, 2008 @ 10:25 pm

6. CaraBee said,

The ones hanging on the clothesline in the 7th picture are super cute. Too bad they’re soo dangerous…

| July 5, 2008 @ 10:40 pm

7. Backpacking Dad said,

Crap. I just bought pair and wrote “Definitely Driving Flip-Flops” in big red letters on them. I don’t think I left enough room for a “^not”.

Look out world. Here I come in my flip-flops of grevious bodily harm.

| July 6, 2008 @ 12:46 am

8. Thunder Brainstorm said,

Haha, it may sound funny but now that you mention it, I do find it dangerous to drive with flip-flops.

No, seriously, if I’m driving I always wear flat slippers or real shoes. I’m glad that there is now a study to back me up.

| July 6, 2008 @ 12:48 am

9. Lisa said,

I live in Switzerland and it is illegal to drive in them here. It is punishable by a hefty fine. And of course, if you got into an accident while wearing them, insurance would say you were at fault, regardless of the circumstances. I wear them while driving almost daily. Oh well….

| July 6, 2008 @ 8:35 am

10. Rebecca said,

don’t know about in the US or even here in NZ but I remember that in Australia it is illegal to drive in barefeet!

I’m not a driver so don’t feel expert here but I’d have thought that was about as safe as it gets. I mean nothing in the way between your foot and the pedal?

| July 6, 2008 @ 10:30 am

11. Black Hockey Jesus said,

Jenna: Do these work with this?
    BHJ: I don’t know. I generally don’t like flip flops.
    Jenna: 10 years and I’m finding out now? Well your flip flop bias won’t allow you to properly see how they work with this.
    BHJ: Suit yourself. Those things are fucking dangerous.

| July 6, 2008 @ 12:52 pm

12. sam said,

Everything. EVERYTHING will kill us now!

Seriously though, I have had the back end of my flip flop jar itself on the floor mat causing me to not be able to remove my foot from the gas pedal. I was on an empty highway and was able to get it unstuck – what if I was coming up on stopped traffic?

(Stupid me still wears them when I drive since I thought it was just me that would have something so silly happen to them. Go figure.)

| July 6, 2008 @ 1:06 pm

13. Catwoman said,

Also? They gave me the worst blister ever on the inside of my index toe(? do toes have names like fingers?) because I wore them in our neighborhood parade.

Little did I know that showing off my pedicure would cost me so dearly, because the mofo still hurts.

| July 6, 2008 @ 6:41 pm

14. Tara@From Dawn Till Rusk said,

I was at the petrol pump last week and a girl got out of her car to fill up and she was not wearing any shoes. Driving a car wearing no shoes. What kind of madness is that?

| July 6, 2008 @ 7:11 pm

15. giggleblue said,

this made clicking there worth while – “Some flip-flops are basic, others as pretty as ballet flats. But there’s nothing attractive about the heel calluses (from the pounding) and hammer toes (from the gripping) that follow a flip-flop overdose.”

i can’t believe AOL actually spent time writing and then publishing this… i agree, slow news day!

| July 7, 2008 @ 12:15 pm

16. Threeundertwo said,

I’m one who agrees that flip-flops belong only at the pool or in your back yard. I don’t let my kids out of the house with them, unless we’re going to the beach.

Someone told me that there’s a law in California that you can’t drive with any kind of open-heel shoe. Probably one of those that they don’t enforce unless they’re nailing you for something else.

| July 7, 2008 @ 1:07 pm

17. Katie said,

I’ve never heard of that. However, I did manage to break my foot in 3 places from walking around in flip flops. And as soon as it healed (10 months later) I put them right back on. Hell, I wore one with the cast the entire time.

I wonder if they’ll make a flip flop holding attachment for the car?

| July 7, 2008 @ 2:13 pm

18. lifeandtimesofawickedstepmom said,

I just got my very first pair of flip-flops this weekend! The horror!!

| July 7, 2008 @ 5:18 pm

19. Marinka said,

In addition to causing death, flip flops look horrific and should be outlawed.

| July 11, 2008 @ 4:28 pm