My Lost Weekend

I guess it’s time to talk about the lost weekend that was BlogHer. Many people have already posted about it and I would feel remiss if I didn’t write a little bit about my experience. Let’s start with the most cliche thing: there was some good, some bad and a lot of in between. I definitely think I’d built it up to be more bonding and summer campy than it turned out to be for me.

I got to the hotel, checked in and headed to my room. On the elevator, I stepped into a gaggle of women, one of whom had the badge “Sweetney.” Hey, Sweetney! I’d heard of that blog! It was to be my first chance to make a friend, introduce myself to the world of bloggers-in-person. So I said, “Hey, Sweetney, I know your blog! I’m Stefanie from Baby On Bored.” Sweetney looked at me as if I smelled like a garlic clove and didn’t know it. She sort of nodded, then went back to her friends. Then before I got off the elevator, she let me know that I had a black smudge on my face. It was quite the “I rushed the sorority and didn’t get in” moment. So, I guess I started on a bad note. On the other hand, this whole exchange was surely mostly in my mind. Sweetney probably wouldn’t even remember meeting me. And to be fair, I’m sure that a few people probably introduced themselves to me and got a similar response if I was in a conversation or hung-over or picking lint on my jeans…

On Friday night (the night I got in) I hung out with Heather and we went to the grand ballroom where we listened to bloggers read posts that were chosen by someone who put the evening together for no real rhyme or reason that I could fathom. But…some of them were amazing. Stand outs included Y from Joy Unexpected who read about hating her body but not wanting her daughter to feel the same way – of course, it left me in a puddle of tears. She’s an amazing writer and she looked radiant and beautiful and so small standing on that big stage, speaking in her vulnerable voice. I wanted to hug her and thank her immediately. I also cried with a mom who read about trying to kill herself when she was 7 months pregnant, and then I laughed my ass off hearing the Bloggess (in a blond wig) say the word cunt a half dozen times.

After the reading we went to a few parties where I drank many lemon drop martinis. At one point, Heather introduced me to a woman she said was her friend that read earlier that night. Assuming it was the Bloggess, sans wig, I told her she was “HILARIOUS!!!” And that’s when I noticed a look of alarm on Heather’s face. “What?” I asked her. “Stef, that’s my friend who talked about trying to kill herself!” she stage whispered over the techno. SHIT. “I’m so so sorry” I told her friend. I thought you were the Bloggess with no wig, we were really far back, I didn’t know, I am humiliated, I’m just so so sorry, you were not funny at all, no no, not at all, I mean, I cried, honestly, no laughing here, crying, only crying!”

Saturday morning I woke up with a hang over, but much much worse than that, I had a migraine. Not just any migraine but a monster rip your brain out of your head – can’t function, think, eat, talk, see migraine. I get one of these about once a year or less – sometimes brought on by drinking copious amounts of wine but more often due to hormones, cheese, wind etc. so I hadn’t thought ahead to bring my medication with me. Big mistake. By 7:30 I was crying and trying to figure out how I would even dial the phone to find someone to help me. I called my husband at home in LA because that would be helpful, right? But he was feeding a baby or crying or cursing me for leaving or something because he didn’t answer. Then I called the hotel operator and asked for the nearest pharmacy (thinking I’d call in a script from my pharmacy for Imitrex) but it didn’t open until 9. I knew I wouldn’t live that long. And if you’ve ever had a migraine like this, you know what I’m talking about. An hour and half seemed like a lifetime. Five minutes seemed like an eternity. So I went downstairs and asked the concierge to hail me a cab to the ER. Yeah, good times. And, I had to ask the cabbie to pull over so I could puke next to a trash bin in an alley. Stay classy, Stef.

The ER was fun. All alone with puke on my sweater being asked by a nurse if I was homeless, had HIV, was a victim of domestic violence, wore a lot of pink and was one side of my body weak?

Then I was medicated with compazine, fluids, magnesium and NO MORPHINE because the dr. had read some dumb ass study that migraine pain can be fixed with magnesium. So, it did fix it but it took about an hour, which is like five days in migraine years.

Back at the hotel, I went and signed books at noon and met some of my favorite readers and blog writers. Too many to mention but hi to all of you who were nice enough to introduce yourselves to my post migraine self. If I seemed less than the friendliest, that is why.

Saturday night I went out briefly but my heart wasn’t really in it. I wanted to go home and see my family at that point. I was overstimulated, overestrogenated (new word – look it up, bitches) and tiiiiired. I did have some really great conversations with a few bloggers who I hadn’t known before but, like I said, not summercamp. But seriously, I’m 42, I’ve had my share of camp and I really didn’t need to sit around a campfire and listen to Dooce strum out an Indigo Girls song on her twelve string guitar while all the campers hovered around her with their cider and candles hanging on her every lilty little girl voiced lyric.

I’m so glad to be home.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on July 22, 2008 5:59 pmUncategorized63 comments

1. Kyddryn said,

Welcome home. Sorry ’bout the migraine – that sucks!

I bet the girls were delighted to see mama again, puke stained sweater or no.

Shade and Sweetwater,
    K

| July 22, 2008 @ 8:33 pm

2. Middle Aged woman said,

So…a fine time was had by all, eh? Migraines do suck, I can verify that.

| July 22, 2008 @ 8:41 pm

3. Nut Nut said,

Wow. I’ve never been to Blogher, don’t know if I ever will for fear of not knowing anyone and being the total uncool kid in the corner sucking on my Sierra Nevada, and well, your post really made me feel like it’s best I stay home and hang with the husband, wee child and two crazy cats!

It’s almost refreshing to read a post that isn’t about all the fun and frolicks because it can’t be all that great for everyone at all times.

It’s terrible you had to go to the ER, especially in SF (this is from someone who works in SF).

First time poster to your blog, interested party and reader – NN

| July 22, 2008 @ 8:44 pm

4. sarah said,

oh, that sucks. So sorry about the migraine; that’s craptastic timing.

The Sweetney incident is my biggest social fear. Painful to read that.

I’m glad you were able to have some fun, though, in spite of the ripping head pain and minor social snubbery.

| July 22, 2008 @ 8:46 pm

5. Bonnie said,

God, I’m just amazed you made it to the book signing after having a migraine. I’m usually hanging off the side of the bed with my tongue hanging out of my mouth once the pain subsides.

And you go girl, taking charge of getting to the ER for your migraine.

| July 22, 2008 @ 8:55 pm

6. Melisa@andbabywillmake4 said,

I know that migraine pain, sorry to hear this was the time it decided to show up!

I also am waiting for my library to call me saying your book is in and I can pick it up! I am quite looking forward to it.

| July 22, 2008 @ 8:56 pm

7. Carolyn...Online said,

Ok, the migraine part SUCKS but calling out the hilarity of the woman who wanted to DIE — priceless. I mean, oops and oh shit! but priceless.

| July 22, 2008 @ 8:59 pm

8. Petunia Face said,

You had to go to the ER all by your lonesome and you were back signing books by noon? Dude. You’re hardcore.

And thanks for being honest that you weren’t all sitting around in a circle pricking your fingers to become blood sisters. ‘Cause that’s why I pussed out and didn’t show up until the last day “unconference” and even then for only a few hours. I’m afraid of needles and the thought of bonding over cocktails with strangers turns my bowels loose. Too much? Sorry.

| July 22, 2008 @ 9:00 pm

9. Aunt Becky said,

No Morphine? That’s cruel AND unusual.

| July 22, 2008 @ 9:02 pm

10. Backpacking Dad said,

Holy crap!

And I thought I had an awesome bad-day story from BlogHer.

I wish for more time.

| July 22, 2008 @ 9:06 pm

11. MereCat said,

Sorry about the migraine. There’s no good time to have a migraine, but there sure are a lot of bad times to have one. And as for Sweetney, she just looks mean anyways. I don’t read mean. Snarky, absolutely, but mean, nothankyou.

Sorry it was lackluster.

| July 22, 2008 @ 9:07 pm

12. Elise said,

Oh my goodness, that sounds rough. The migraine part, that is. Well, the elevator story didn’t sound awesome or anything…but the migraine, puking…ugh.

Glad you still had fun at BlogHer and I’m gonna second whoever it was who thanked you for presenting it NORMALLY, rather than a giant, picture-fueled linkfest of OMGSOMUCHFUNNNNNNN! You can’t come though! We don’t know you!

| July 22, 2008 @ 9:09 pm

13. Kim said,

IF I had gone to BlogHer you are one of about 5 people who I would have made a point of finding and meeting.

No seriously I’m not a stalker!

| July 22, 2008 @ 9:21 pm

14. merlotmom said,

Oh, Stephanie, I wish I’d known. I would have given you some drugs, I mean hugs, to make you feel better. You just put my recent BlogHer embarrassment story to shame. I’ll have to kick your ass, i mean, thank you later. Seriously, despite your post-migraine-malaise, I enjoyed meeting you.

| July 22, 2008 @ 9:26 pm

15. Y said,

Sorry I left you hanging on IM yesterday.

I’m so sorry about the migraine. I hate that you had to go through that.

I was more than a little bummed that our plans to part-ay hard-ay didn’t work out. (I may have even shed a little tear) But, you know, we live SO FUCKING CLOSE, let’s just have a girls night out already, ok?

I’m glad we got a few minutes to talk and laugh. You are so beautiful and I love you and um, call me so we can talk about stuff.

xoxo

| July 22, 2008 @ 9:46 pm

16. Cheryl Lage said,

Another voice of “I’d have sought you out as a star” had I been there…

So sorry about the both migraine and unmet expectations…

Sounds a lot like high school reunions to me; thanks for keeping it real…just sorry it had to happen seemingly at your expense.

Welcome home.

| July 22, 2008 @ 10:09 pm

17. Threeundertwo said,

Unbelievable. You had a migraine and got yourself to the ER in SF. Including a stopoff for vomit.

But you make us laugh anyway with your story about telling that woman she was hilarious.

You are my hero. Thanks for having my BlogHer experience for me. Now I don’t need to go.

| July 22, 2008 @ 10:13 pm

18. Hot Mamma said,

Ok that sounds like a rather shitty trip. Too bad you didn’t puke on the soriety girl :) She would have loved you then!

| July 22, 2008 @ 10:34 pm

19. Mommy Melee said,

Man. I hate having random nightmare health issues when traveling. My husband and I worked as camp counselors at a local camp for terminally ill children and I came down with random horrible food poisoning and ended up having to sleep in one of the little sick kid infirmary beds feeling like the biggest douchebag on the planet. Sometimes bodies can be real assholes.

I’m glad part of your time was nice and I’m happy to hear you’re home with your family.

I would have been thoroughly intimidated to meet you!

| July 22, 2008 @ 11:04 pm

20. heather said,

Sad sad melody on her six string guitar! Holy shit, I’m laughing too hard to think.

You forgot to mention your Dooce encounter. I am going to hold that memory to my chest FOREVAH. Maybe I’ll write it down, put it under my pillow, and dream about it every night.

Hmmm…now that I think about it, you probably left your Dooce encounter out on purpose. Or it was during one of your blackouts.

I would have gone with you to the er, but mostly so I could get an IV, too.

| July 22, 2008 @ 11:05 pm

21. zellmer said,

It was so fun meeting you. I always love hanging out with people who are drunker than I am. It’s so rare. Anyway, you were funny. And charming even the next day. I would have never guessed about the migraine, or the disdain for the spectacle, which I was feeling, too.

| July 22, 2008 @ 11:14 pm

so, i so wished you lived around me. you are what i am and want to be. i wish i could say half of what you do, but i grew up baptist in a population of 2000 and in a dry county. so, my attitude and manner is far from theris. i so relate to you and i only have two boys four years apart. although i am type a love perfection and am never smart enough. i am friends with your heidi whom i love

| July 22, 2008 @ 11:50 pm

| July 22, 2008 @ 11:51 pm

so, basically i wrote a long comment stating that i supported you and that i wished you knew more about us little people that supported you and you could write about us. i am a friend of heidi
    s thats comments got lost. so, if you want to contact me feel free.i am lost a child, had two, and am workng on being a lactation consultant.d

| July 22, 2008 @ 11:54 pm

| July 22, 2008 @ 11:55 pm

26. Kia said,

I love your frankness and your honesty. It’s truly refreshing. Thanks for NOT making us all think that BH was the event that we absolutely HAVE to attend before we die. That said, I’m glad you at least enjoyed SOME of it! :)

| July 22, 2008 @ 11:55 pm

27. CaraBee said,

That Sweetney is always causing trouble. You’re better off without her.

| July 23, 2008 @ 12:11 am

28. MetroDad said,

Yours is the best (and worst) summary of BlogHer that I’ve read so far. Sorry to hear about your migraine. It was probably caused by Sweetney.

As much as I would have loved to meet some of my favorite bloggers in person, the thought of so many women in one location is both inspiring and frightening. BlogHim probably wouldn’t work out but maybe someone should start a BlogThem conference.

| July 23, 2008 @ 1:19 am

29. Marinka said,

I second what Kia said. Thank you for letting us know how it was without making it seem like a Betty Friedan/Gloria Steinem reunion. I hope you’re feeling better.

| July 23, 2008 @ 1:20 am

30. Kate said,

well now I want to hear about your dooce enounter, damnit.

But seriously, this is by far my favourite recap of the conference so far.

| July 23, 2008 @ 1:23 am

31. andi said,

Hanging out with you and Heather was one of the highlights of the conference. God, you’re funny while drunk. I’m sure you’re funny sober too, although I’m not really basing that on anything…

I’m sorry you got dissed – that just sucks. All I have to say is, consider the source. You were like a total rock-star and I was so excited to meet you.

And I had no idea about the migraine – that’s craptastic. Makes me wish I’d seen you the day after the party so I could have given you a hug (or some really fabulous drugs – not that I had any, but I’m sure I could have scored some easily outside the hotel).

| July 23, 2008 @ 1:37 am

32. Mama Ginger Tree said,

This is my favorite BlogHer recap by far.

I was there and happened to have some migraine medicine in my purse. Shame on me for being too intimidated to introduce myself to you.

| July 23, 2008 @ 2:45 am

33. SUEB0B said,

Well, jaysus, you seemed fine and pretty and perky when I met you in the Hell That We Call Macy’s Shoe Dept. Your photo is up on flickr in the Red Stapler BlogHer 08 set – http://flickr.com/photos/11302994@N00/sets/72157606300591349

| July 23, 2008 @ 3:06 am

34. PDX Mama said,

OK, when are you going to dish about your dooce encounter? :-)

It’s kind of refreshing to hear it’s not all summer camp/bonding, yadda yadda. Bummer about the migraine, that certainly puts a damper on the whole thing.

| July 23, 2008 @ 3:26 am

35. Camels & Chocolate said,

OK, I live in SF and I kind of “strategically” planned to be out of town this weekend for BlogHer, because the cliques? SCARE ME. You’re right, who wants to do sorority rush all over again? Ugh. Glad you’re better.

| July 23, 2008 @ 3:38 am

36. moosh in indy. said,

Was I nice? Man I hope I was nice. You were funny. HILARIOUS EVEN! One of my favorite memories. HEE HEE!
    Get down with your IV bad self, that blows HARD CORE.

| July 23, 2008 @ 3:52 am

37. Ali said,

you were hilarious when we met at maggie mason’s party. i was giggling for like an hour after you left. haha!

i’m sorry there were such suckypantsy parts of your trip. boo.

| July 23, 2008 @ 4:53 am

38. Jozet at Halushki said,

Sound fabutastic!

And seriously…I’m going to be 42 in a few weeks.

When I turned 40, my slogan was “Not doin’ it if I don’t want to.”

When I turned 41, my slogan is, “I’m gonna say what I want, and I don’t give a crap.”

I can only imagine what freedom from “have to” 42 will bring.

| July 23, 2008 @ 2:06 pm

39. Jozet at Halushki said,

And the migraine?

I have one right now, so reading this post is like sense-a-round.

I get migraines whenever a storm front comes through.

| July 23, 2008 @ 2:09 pm

40. Amy in Ohio said,

Remember me? I’m the giggling, goofy redhead from the book signing that you’ve hopefully forgotten.

Of all the women there this weekend, you were the biggest star in my mind. You were the first blog I ever read and it took months before I even commented.

Because of this “star status” I’ve given you (you’re welcome), I was too nervous to even speak in your presence. So my dream of becoming your new BFF and flying to meet up with you in exciting places like Reno and Buffalo are all but lost.

I’m sorry you felt so rotten on Saturday morning. Had I an imitrex it would have totally been yours for the asking.

I wish I had spoken up and told you how amazing I think you are, how smart and funny and beautiful (that ass of yours after three kids? Oy, I’m going back to Weight Watchers). I would also have told you that before becoming a mom and reading your books and seeing your interviews, I hoped that I would be a mom like you, in love with my kid and still completely aware of myself and my needs in the process. I would have thanked you for so many laughs at just the moment I needed them and reminders of what it’s all about.

That’s what I would have said, had I opened my mouth.

| July 23, 2008 @ 3:03 pm

41. Laggin said,

Well . . . that kinda sucks. Guess I won’t feel all jealous of you getting to go and shit.

Sorry–not that it’s my fault or anything but, still . . .

| July 23, 2008 @ 3:18 pm

42. Thunder Brainstorm said,

Urgh, sorry to hear about the cliquish behavior of some people. I guess high school truly never ends, huh? It just gets a facelift and a job and a fancier title.

| July 23, 2008 @ 3:55 pm

43. anymommy said,

This is my first visit – a friend told me that your Blogher description was the best she’d read. Truth! I’m hooked. A new reader is born.

Sorry about the crappy migraine and the solo ER trip. Horrible.

| July 23, 2008 @ 4:14 pm

44. Jennifer said,

OMG-you poor thing! There’s no good time for a migraine, but alone at the ER and puking in a cab is an extra bad scenario. And the snubbing story is scary–makes me remember why I hate large social situations like that.

Oh, and thanks for the blogging fame tips! I need to switch over to a kooky comment name.

| July 23, 2008 @ 4:26 pm

45. Loralee Choate said,

It was lovely meeting you. I had no idea that you went to the ER! I am so sorry.

You looked gorgeous at the book signing, though.

I had a sobbing breakdown in front of almost every blogger I admire. They were WONDERFUL, but DAMN it was embarrassing!

| July 23, 2008 @ 6:00 pm

46. Jenny, the Bloggess said,

Crying, embarrassing yourself, throwing up. We had the exact same experience. God, we should have been crying in the same bathroom. We could have shared the kleenex.

PS. You rock and always make me laugh. Except when you don’t want to. You know what I mean.

| July 23, 2008 @ 7:47 pm

47. Mama Ginger Tree said,

I just have to clear one thing up so I don’t sound like a complete asshole. The reason I pointed out this as one of my favorite BlogHer recaps is that is was refreshing to read something that didn’t say “OMG, IT WAS THE BEST WEEKEND OF MY LIFE AND I MET 5,000 PEOPLE, WANNA SEE THE PICTURES!!!!”

I didn’t mean to say, “Oh hooray, Stephanie got a terrible migraine and had to go to the ER” was what made it fantastic.

I really enjoy reading your blog for many reasons, none of them being your migraine.

| July 23, 2008 @ 9:01 pm

48. Nanette said,

Meeting you was one of my highlights of the trip. :-)

(I’m one of Heather’s pals, the one who about flipped out when I heard you were the author of my favorite pregnancy book while we were at Ruby Skye.)

Sorry to hear about your migraine. Yikes! My mom gets them and I’m very thankful she didn’t pass those bad boy genes on to me. Glad you found your way to the ER.

| July 23, 2008 @ 9:55 pm

49. Her Bad Mother said,

That last paragraph? That made me totally f*cking love you. For seriously. Because, yes, DITTO.

I am now your devoted fan-girl forever, the end.

(Glad to have had that teeny moment to meet you in the hotel bar. If I had it to do over again, and knew how you were feeling, v.v. everything that you’ve written here including, yes, that last paragraph, I would have demanded a fist-pump. And a hug.)

| July 23, 2008 @ 11:37 pm

50. michelle lamar said,

OMG, and I saw you POST-PUKE and ER? Girlfriend, I am so sorry but you were a real rockstar, I must say. Your “sweetney” moment made me spew my drink on my keyboard. At least she told you how you had a smudge, she didn’t even look at me. I will IM/DM/EMAIL you later about how I was suddenly not invisible once YOU (you are cool) started talking to me. It was worthy of bad sitcom material. Good to see you, even for only a few minutes. Thanks again for pimping my book.

| July 23, 2008 @ 11:52 pm

51. jennifer, playgroups are no place for children said,

My mostest favortitest conversation was the one I had with you on Friday night when I met you in the hotel bar with Heather, Mike and Andi (poot and cubby).

I recall the word cunt in that conversation a WHOLE LOT. Not sure if you remember? 😉

It was great to meet you!

| July 23, 2008 @ 11:55 pm

52. Immoral Matriarch said,

I’m sorry the weekend was ragged, but it made for classic blog fodder. GREAT entry!!

| July 24, 2008 @ 3:22 am

53. Shamelessly Sassy said,

I’m so bummed I didn’t get to go to blogher. I would have loved to have met you! And I say that in the least creepiest way possible.

| July 24, 2008 @ 7:11 am

54. wrekehavoc said,

i’m new here. so sorry about your migraine and ER visit.

but sheesh. so glad i wasn’t at BlogHer. i’ll probably get around to attending once it has jumped the shark.

| July 24, 2008 @ 12:22 pm

55. Stella Blue said,

thank you thank you for writing this post. I had never thought I wanted to go to BlogHer (I’ve never watched a single episode of Oprah. Ever. My female bonding is more likely to occur in the boxing ring, where a great female boxer once broke my cheekbone with a wicked right hook. But I digress….)

thank you for letting me know that there are lots of us here in blog-land, writing away and keeping it real without needing to spend three days getting validated. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. But I don’t need to feel like there’s something wrong with me anymore, so that’s awesome.

ps, stumbled here from Adventures in the Candy Cane Forest

| July 25, 2008 @ 1:33 am

56. hollibobolli said,

It was great to finally put a face with your blog.

sorry you felt so bad.. migraines suck – I get them all the time.

xo

| July 26, 2008 @ 3:04 am

57. sam said,

I’m really sorry about the Sweetney incident. That is by and large my HUGEST fear about meeting new people. You put yourself out there only to be treated like that. My heart sank…. then I read about the resat of your trip.

Damn girl! *hugs*

| July 26, 2008 @ 12:30 pm

58. raisingtheboys said,

Hmmmmkay so next year?

HA

Thank you for your honesty and willingness to tell it like it happened. You are much loved!

| July 27, 2008 @ 2:37 am

59. Suburban Turmoil said,

I was so happy to meet you, if only for a moment. I am so sorry you had that migraine because yes! That was Yvonne and me calling you all Saturday morning and trying to convince you to hang out with us for the rest of the weekend! Hope to see you again some day…

| July 27, 2008 @ 4:29 pm

60. Melissa said,

I saw your card in the pile of them from our launch party Friday night. I’m sorry I didn’t find you there.

| July 29, 2008 @ 4:07 am

61. RhoRho said,

Sounds icky. recently wrote something myself about blogging being yet another extension of high school. When will grown women stop acting like the one on the elevator? Cant believe dooce now has music career. gads!

| July 29, 2008 @ 4:17 pm

62. babybloomr said,

I was a BH newbie this year, and I’m still trying to figure out why I was such a (relatively) introverted version of my usual self. I didn’t have a similar ignored-in-the-elevator type incident, but guess why? Because I totally pussed out on putting myself out there enough to risk it! Again, so NOT the usual me.
    I’ve been kicking myself for not pushing through more than I did, but thanks to your post, I’m thinking that my gut feeling about being made to feel invisible by some of the other bloggers was probably less about my insecurity and more about correctly sizing up the situation. Maybe feeling uncertain about trying to socialize with the couple of bloggers I barely knew was not because I was having a sudden attack of shyness– maybe it was because I was reading their lack of contacting me correctly! Trust me, I am not a wallflower, I know how to strike up conversations. I am hugely confident and outgoing in all other areas of my life (and I still feel my trip was worth it) but I do think that so many of the sqeeeeing BH posts are coming from those who already knew some people to hang out with, not the ones like me who faked a cell phone call at the newbie cocktail party so that I would have someone to talk to!
    This sounds much whinier than I meant it to– nobody was rude or treated me like a leper or anything, I met some people, I exchanged some cards. But honestly? Though it feels blasphemous to say this, I went there alone, and even though I was friendly and smiling and open– BlogHer WASN’T all just one big inclusive love fest!

| July 29, 2008 @ 4:31 pm

63. Sally HP said,

Oh! My God! I just burst out laughing at your slip regarding the mistaken identity speaker!

| August 2, 2008 @ 3:15 pm