Weekend Recommend

People think I’m opposed to others who are crafty. This is so not the case. I’m just so uncrafty and simply uninterested in becoming crafty that my attitude may come across as derisive. Hey, if I could handcraft a tea kettle cozy while waiting for my turn at the dentist, maybe I would. But I can’t. So I don’t. My feeling is, I’m over forty years old and so far I’ve never once lustily eyed a spool of yarn and thought oh the things I could do with you Senor String! How you tease me from your shelf at JoAnnes – I am so bringing you and all of your yarny friends home with me and we’ll do stuff. Oh yeah! No, that’s just not me. Hell, I can barely wrap a gift acceptably. I’m just happy those gift bags are so in style although my ability to work with colorful tissue paper is a bit pathetic.

But in Naptime, I mention my friend Crafty Susan quite a bit because she has a way with fabric, cooking, decorating, gluing and working with things you’d buy at Michael’s. Her real name is Shannon and she is seriously quite cool. She finally decided to cash in on her talents and has opened her own webstore with stuff for hip kids which I think everyone should check out. Why not? It’s Sunday.

Shannon’s cute online store

Also, here’s another blog I recommend. I can’t help it, sometimes someone who is witty and opinionated just strikes me and I have to give them a little shout out. Go back in her archives to read her opinions on religion and gay marriage. I found myself fascinated for a few hours. She also has some group called allmediocre of bloggers which, of course I haven’t been invited to join because no one ever invites me to anything blogwise. But that’s okay. I’ll survive in my passive aggressive way. http://www.amomtwoboys.com/

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on June 8, 2008 8:20 pmUncategorized15 comments

1. Shannon said,

For the record I do not lust over yarn while shopping at JoAnns!

Thanks for the plug, now go shopping Baby on Bored readers, gas is 4.50 a gallon here, help me get out of the house!

oh and the linky wasn’t working. . . I think there were too many http thingys.

| June 8, 2008 @ 8:44 pm

2. Aunt Becky said,

Once it’s determined that my uterus is inhabited by something other than gremlins (it’s not uter-YOU, Stef, it’s uter-US) I am in.

Shannon’s stuff is flipping adorable.

| June 8, 2008 @ 9:30 pm

3. Black Hockey Jesus said,

I can’t wrap. It’s a nightmare.

| June 8, 2008 @ 10:17 pm

4. A Mom Two Boys said,

Oh! I LOVE YOU! Thanks!

I “crochet”. I have 1 blanket down, for my 10 month old. It took me FOREVER. I’m halfway through another one for my niece. I haven’t picked it up on a month. I’m pathetic. I’d rather just not start than have to look at an unfinished piece for my adorable niece and feel guilt.

And aren’t you on AllTop? Because that automatically disqualifies you from AllMediocre. Otherwise, you’d TOTALLY be in. And I try not to invite people, because I don’t want to offend anyone with an invite to be ‘Mediocre.’ Although I did invite black hockey jesus and he never responded…

| June 9, 2008 @ 12:29 am

5. Heather said,

I broke my crafty bone the other day. The doctors told me I needed to get it set, but I decided it’s easier to just buy the crafty shit other people make.

I’m in All Mediocre. JEALOUS?

| June 9, 2008 @ 12:38 am

6. Z said,

I love Meghan! YAY for your shout-out for her! :)

And I have to admit that I *do* lust over yarn in the store… Perhaps sometimes I even drool… But then? I bring it home. And? Nothing. Ideas – yes, I got ’em. Follow through – not so much…

| June 9, 2008 @ 1:34 am

7. Mamique said,

You crack me up!

Yes, I do lust over yarn at JoAnns, and yes I could make a teacozy while waiting at the dentist’s, but instead I make cute baby sweaters, lol.

That being said, knitting is my vice and that’s where my craftiness ends.

I, too just opened my store on Etsy. Feel free to have a look, there’s a link from one of my blogs.

| June 9, 2008 @ 6:08 am

8. heidi said,

damn, that’s a great gift, that formula. Especially when it’s enough for twins. That will keep you in tostitos for awhile 😉

| June 9, 2008 @ 12:40 pm

9. Catwoman said,

I keep all my lusting for Paul Walker’s topless body.

I didn’t realize some people reserved theirs for yarn.

I guess that would put me in the non-crafty camp then?

| June 9, 2008 @ 2:40 pm

10. MereCat said,

I wish I were crafty. Anything crafty I have ever attempted looked just plain dumb. As the daughter of an architect, everyone expects great creativity, and I never fail to disappoint.

| June 9, 2008 @ 6:06 pm

11. The Yummy Mummy Cooks Gourmet said,

I’m mediocre. Why can’t I be in the club?

| June 9, 2008 @ 7:04 pm

To Heather-That’s pretty demeaning to call other people’s wonderful craft items shit.

| June 9, 2008 @ 7:51 pm

13. Susan@stopcallingmethat said,

There’s a reason the word CRAFT sounds so much like CRAP. I apparently used all my craptiness as a child in Vacation Bible School. Thanks for the link!

| June 10, 2008 @ 2:39 am

14. Black Hockey Jesus said,

I disagree. I think Heather was using the word “shit” as a synonym for “stuff” and that you’re being picky, anonymous.

| June 10, 2008 @ 2:42 am

15. Cherise said,

I love that BHJ is policing the barbs out here in blogger comment land! BHJ, you rock. I’m not the only one with a crush, I’m sure.

Thanks Stephanie for the link! I bought the booties for a friend’s new baby girl!

| June 10, 2008 @ 4:56 am