Does Maury Povitch Make Any Small Baby Shows?

My little Sadie has been getting some extra help. We have been lucky enough to score some benefits through the Regional Center which is a program that helps children at risk to have developmental issues. We’ve so far had an OT visit, a developmental assessment -which went fine- as far as right now she seems on track for a baby who’s been through as much trauma as she has and who was born so small. But yesterday we had a visit from a nutrutionist and Sadie, for the first time, had actually lost weight. A few weeks ago she was 10 lbs. 12 oz. and now she’s 10 lbs. 10 oz. It was upsetting. But, we were told not to worry.
We’re going to up the concentration in her formula and try to give her solids even more often. This morning was operation “get the beeyotch to enjoy some tasty avocado.” It immediately went horribly awry when, as soon as she got a taste of the “so high in healthy oils and fats” treat, she make a face like I’d just given her a whole chicken liver and projectile vomited all over me and her newly washed bouncy seat. Maybe if I’d added onions, cilantro, garlic and lemon juice she would’ve totally got why people eat this stuff.
Here’s the good news. The nutritionist took measurments of her whole body and apparently -I don’t want to brag- but her upper arm circumference is in the upper percentile for her corrected age. Oh yeah, my tiny future Ultimate Fighting champion is getting herself ready to throw down.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on June 24, 2008 7:12 pmUncategorized41 comments

1. Rhiannon said,

Try mashed banana mixed with the avocado. Makes it taste sweeter. Good luck.

| June 24, 2008 @ 7:56 pm

2. KLS said,

Sorry she’s lost weight, but it sounds like she is still doing well! If you are doing finger foods yet, I’ve found that my picky eater loves whole wheat pancakes with lots of pureed sweet potatoes and some pears or apples. Maybe you could throw in some delicious mashed avocado.

I make them baby-sized and flash freeze them so I can pull them out one at a time.

| June 24, 2008 @ 7:58 pm

3. Backpacking Dad said,

One of my mom friends gave her son avocado when he was 5 months old or so and he also PV all over her. She’s certain it was the texture more than the flavor.

| June 24, 2008 @ 7:58 pm

4. Krystyn said,

If you can’t get the avocado to work, try adding olive oil or flax seed oil to the foods she does enjoy! I bet she’ll pack on the pounds!

| June 24, 2008 @ 8:03 pm

5. momomax said,

damn. those are some cute babies.

my son used to eat only the whitest, most vanilla, bland food on the planet, but has always loved avocado. wtf. he’s branching out, but I hated the stuff until I was in my twenties…YOU know, last year.

| June 24, 2008 @ 8:13 pm

6. Mrs. Incredible said,

Is she too young for Ben & Jerry’s? I’m just saying. I don’t think there is a more calorie laden, better tasting food on the planet, and it certainly tends to pack the pounds on my derriere.

| June 24, 2008 @ 8:31 pm

7. Black Hockey Jesus said,

Upper arm circumference in the upper percentile for corrected age has been shown to be directly correlated to having a cool mom.

| June 24, 2008 @ 8:37 pm

8. Black Hockey Jesus said,

1:37. Did you just comment on mine?

| June 24, 2008 @ 8:38 pm

9. Heather said,

Mattie may be fatter, but Sadie has WAY better hair.

| June 24, 2008 @ 9:10 pm

10. CP said,

Mattie looks like she’s about to take a bite out of Sadie- maybe now that Sadie has such plump, avacado flavored upper arms?

They are both adorable. You’re clearly doing a great job with all 3 of your kids!

| June 24, 2008 @ 9:54 pm

11. giggleblue said,

i think you need to bring sadie to texas for some good soul food cooking. no one can pass up baked mac and cheese with cornbread.

| June 24, 2008 @ 9:58 pm

12. Aunt Becky said,

Kickin’ ass and takin’ names. My favorite kind of baby.

| June 24, 2008 @ 10:28 pm

They couldn’t be any more adorable!

| June 24, 2008 @ 10:35 pm

14. Count Mockula said,

Perhaps spinach to go with the Popeye arms?

| June 24, 2008 @ 10:41 pm

15. Kim said,

She may have lost a couple ounces but look how far she’s come! You’re doing great Mom!

And seriously? Beautiful girls, all three of them :)

| June 24, 2008 @ 10:48 pm

16. Stefanie said,

Thanks you guys! I’ll be working the bananas and oatmeal mixure tonight. I just hope I don’t eat all the avocado she left over. It’s calling to me from the fridge. In a Spanish accent which is weird.

| June 24, 2008 @ 11:06 pm

17. Undomestic Diva said,

Awww… She seems to look bigger and healthier and rounder than the last photo I saw which can’t be bad. Eat, baby, eat!

| June 24, 2008 @ 11:19 pm

18. Mom o'Bean said,

I love the picture of the two of them together! It’s pretty awesome to think about the relationship they have. Every time I’ve tried to give my little bean anything other than the most watery of sweet stuff, she acts like I dumped scalding hot shit in her mouth. They say to keep at it and eventually they will come around but it’s no fun when they’re gagging and throwing up.

| June 24, 2008 @ 11:38 pm

Very funny Stefanie. Were the chips also calling for you? Uusually I get their call first.

| June 25, 2008 @ 12:00 am

20. Rachael said,

So, what you’re saying is that your baby could beat me up? Probably! Especially after she had already paralyzed me with her cuteness.

| June 25, 2008 @ 1:50 am

21. Cherise said,

She looks great to me! Avocado mashed with any of the apple, pear, or apple + raspberry, pear + plum -type mixtures works wonders! Also, potatoes (baked with olive oil and semi-smashed) are a hit with my babe. But then, maybe we are just a carb-loving family.

| June 25, 2008 @ 4:04 am

22. Wishing 4 One said,

First can i just say how CUTE Sadie is, OMG!!! Remember I am new to your blog.

You know the babies here in Egypt seem to eat everything. The mothers give them regular table food quite early it seems to me and they just love it.

Good luck in plumping Sadie up, I am sure it will happen in no time at all.

| June 25, 2008 @ 8:48 am

23. Kim/2 Kids said,

She looks healthy and happy! My Maddie was a growth retardation and we spent the first year trying to get her to gain weight. She was 15lbs at a year. She informed me yesterday that she is a 95lb 11yo. She was a lot easier to manage when she was smaller. They growup, catch up and end up doing all the lovely things prepubescent girls do.

| June 25, 2008 @ 1:53 pm

24. Catwoman said,

You know what’s porked me up? The Doritos Collision Buffalo Wings and Blue Cheese flavor.

And I think you forgot to serve her the margarita that goes alongside any food with avocado in it. That’s what makes the avocado so tasty.

And that picture of the two of them is cuteness on a stick.

| June 25, 2008 @ 2:29 pm

25. Becky said,

Love that last pic especially, so cute!
    :) becky

| June 25, 2008 @ 3:00 pm

26. Becky said,

Just a p.s. to say thanks for visiting my blog. :) I’m glad you liked our “love story”

:) Becky

| June 25, 2008 @ 6:18 pm

27. Carey said,

Our boy will only eat avocado mixed with banana… as GROSS as it sounds, it takes good! You cannot taste the avocado!! Good luck to you!

| June 25, 2008 @ 8:21 pm

28. Petunia Face said,

Weight loss or not, that pic of the two of them on the blanket is so effin’ cute!

| June 25, 2008 @ 8:43 pm

29. Laura McIntyre said,

Im sorry she has lost weight, i hope she manages to gain for you soon

| June 25, 2008 @ 8:49 pm

30. Jess Riley said,

Such sweethearts…*sigh* (Oh god, I’m hearing the clock ticking again…)

Good luck with the food experiments!

| June 25, 2008 @ 11:21 pm

31. MereCat said,

I’m so sorry for the stress. But they are simply adorable. I like the banana idea. My daughter started to refuse to eat for like three weeks and my husband suggested bananas since that’s what they used in high school to beef up. We are a banana family.

| June 26, 2008 @ 2:45 am

32. iheartchocolate said,

prittiest babies evah!

| June 26, 2008 @ 1:01 pm

33. Threeundertwo said,

Ack! So sorry about the projectile vomiting! I hate cleaning that stuff up.

She’s so adorable. I’ll second the mashed banana idea.

| June 26, 2008 @ 1:52 pm

34. thotlady said,

I tried to enter the contest for your book over at ‘Where Hot Comes to Die’, (love her by the way)but for some reason I couldn’t get the darn comment thing to work on my Mac at home. I have been having trouble with that lately. I don’t know if it’s my Mac or my provider…darn it.

I guess I will have to go out and buy it…more royalties for you! :)

Oh, I have to tell you, about your orangutan comparison in your previous post…I used to have a neighbor whose son looked like a monkey…he is the cutest little boy.

| June 26, 2008 @ 4:02 pm

35. jerseygirl89 said,

You gotta love a kid who makes her preferences SO clear. Gosh, they’re cute. We took my oldest to a nutritionist when she was a baby because she stopped gaining weight at around six months. The nutritionist suggested feeding her mushed real food as opposed to baby food. She liked it more, but she’s three and a half and she’s still really skinny.

| June 26, 2008 @ 5:52 pm

36. Krista said,

first time posting…but i had to share.

Try fuerte avocados – they have a smoother texture, and the flavor isn’t as strong.

Also, i know in Brazil in order to fatten up babies they make an avocado smoothy mixing the avocado, whole milk, and a little sugar (or banana) in the blender.

| June 26, 2008 @ 8:14 pm

37. sarah said,

Ugh. I feel for you on the whole “too small baby” anxiety. We dealt w/ it for over a year of Ethan’s life–he was born @ 4lbs 13oz and only weighed 16lbs @ 1 year.

he was a super persnickety eater and is just now starting to say, “Eat! Eat!” with some semblance of normal human enthusiasm for food.

Experimenting with foods and trying them over and over again after waiting a little bit was what worked for us. In a month, she might eat avocado like it’s her job.

| June 27, 2008 @ 2:43 am

38. Mom101 said,

Tell Sadie not to sweat it – I hate avocado too. How about cookies?

| June 27, 2008 @ 3:57 am

My very small baby hates avocado unless I mix it with sugar. I know, I know, I am a terrible mother but does it help if it’s organic sugar? He eats it up.

| June 27, 2008 @ 5:34 pm

40. gmcountrymama said,

I would also projectile vomit if I ate avocado! What’s the matter with good all american Happy Meal. Just puree and voila, instant childhood obesity and OCD for collecting the cheap toys.

| June 29, 2008 @ 10:40 pm

41. A Mom Two Boys said,

Zach did just about the same thing last night with…wait for it…ICE CREAM. I may have to disown him.

But you’re totally right, make some guacamole and give it to her on a nice salty tortilla chip. She’s sure to enjoy it like that. Especially with a Corona. Lots of calories in beer!

| June 29, 2008 @ 10:55 pm