Babble

On a lighter note from my previous blog, the kind people at Babble.com -and I do love their website- saw fit to print an interview with my big drinkin’ self. You know what? Truth be told, shhhh…I don’t drink very much. How can I with twins and a toddler to care for? I do end many a long day with a cool refreshing Red Hook beer (or two if I’m feeling nutty) but I haven’t so much as been very buzzed since…oh God, well before I was preggo with the twins. But I’ve gotten this rep as the Cocktail Mom; mainly from the titles of the books and because I came out on the Today Show as a proponant of having a glass of wine. But seriously, I said A GLASS OF WINE. Not a BOX of wine. Anyway…I digress. In the interview it quotes me as saying something to the point of I don’t like or trust people who don’t drink. This is not true, exactly. I just find people suspect who don’t like to at least dull their senses once in awhile. If you are an alcoholic and choose not to drink or if there was alcoholism in your family and you don’t like idea of it, I totally back you. But in those cases, there’s always Vicidon! See? I’m here to help.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on May 23, 2008 6:55 pmUncategorized30 comments

1. Kat said,

ummm…what’s wrong with the box? Girl, WE deserve to be able to indulge in a bottle or a BOX of wine, if necessary.

I really don’t drink as much as I say I do…well, alright, yes I do – let me know if you need any info from the blogaholic..

| May 23, 2008 @ 7:27 pm

2. Aunt Becky said,

I much prefer the Vicodin. Too bad I can’t buy THAT in the store, eh?

| May 23, 2008 @ 7:42 pm

I totally agree with you. Like if I go to dinner with someone(a grown up dinner I mean) and they don’t order a glass of wine or a cocktail or the likes then I definetly decide right then and there that I cannot trust them. Obviously, ruling out that they have given it up for a substantial reason. But, I mean, if they just don’t feel they need it then, c’mon! I just can’t hang with those kind of well-adjusted people

| May 23, 2008 @ 8:03 pm

4. Catwoman said,

Yeah, I’m also not a big drinker, but I sure love to talk about drinking!

Only reason I’ve cut back (not talking about now and being pregnant, of course, where I’ve cut it out altogether), is that since having Little Man, I just can’t hold my liquor or wine no more. Two glasses and I’m trying to strip on the hibachi table. Quite sad, really. But building some semblance of a tolerance seems like too much effort these days. Plus, with gas prices being the way they are, I figure I’m saving a ton of money by being a cheap drunk.

| May 23, 2008 @ 8:12 pm

5. Newt said,

What I wouldn’t give for a cool refreshing Red Hook. Awk, pregnancy sucks.

| May 23, 2008 @ 9:52 pm

6. Heather said,

If you haven’t been buzzed since before the twins were born, you need to ‘splain some HIGHLY suspect emails in my inbox.

| May 23, 2008 @ 11:45 pm

7. Stephanie said,

Nothing wrong with the box wine! 😉

Found you through a friend – love the blog!

| May 24, 2008 @ 12:54 am

8. RhoRho said,

Umm..i didn’t have ANYthing to drink last night and I’m very proud of myself. But i agree with anonymous person; i just dont trust the non-drinkers, unless they are AA people – guess I can forgive them for that. And BTW thanks for the comment! I was surprised and wish I’d a written something good lately…
    The 52 and counting should be keepin’ you busy! Hope you’ll come back even if ya don’t comment.

| May 24, 2008 @ 1:42 am

9. sarah said,

I’m a shadow of my former self in the drinking department, but I do love a glass of wine (or three) at the end of the day.

| May 24, 2008 @ 2:10 am

10. Backpacking Dad said,

I only drink alone.

And I’m never alone.

Except right now. Where’s that Nyquil?

| May 24, 2008 @ 3:07 am

11. Jenée said,

I see nothing wrong with tossing back a bottle or two of wine every night. But a box of wine- even over the course of a month- is just plain wrong. The parents who do that are the ones CPS should be investigating.

| May 24, 2008 @ 6:56 am

12. Mamique said,

Drinking used to be fun, when I didn’t get woken up with a killer hangover by a ‘cheerful’ toddler at 6:00 am.

The sad part is that now even 1 glass of wine (which doesn’t even give me a buzz) makes me feel shitty the next day. So not right!

Thanks for the comment, btw, didn’t think you’d do it :-)

Jenee – AMEN! LOL

| May 24, 2008 @ 3:40 pm

13. giggleblue said,

ah, living life one vice to the next! i’m a big component of all things “adult beverage”.

did i mention the cabin has wifi?? oh, yes! thanks for stopping by my blog…

| May 24, 2008 @ 5:29 pm

14. Laural Dawn said,

I loved the story on Babble!
    And as for drinking … I have a 4 year old son (who is being assessed for hyperactivity issues) and an 8 week old. I’m actually grateful for the fact that the liquor store is a 5 minute walk away.

| May 24, 2008 @ 8:05 pm

15. Candace said,

the interview on babble was great.
    I recently got shitfaced out with some gals and it was much needed great fun.
    it was like we were all let out of a cage or something.

| May 25, 2008 @ 2:40 am

16. Jerseygirl89 said,

I like to call myself an ex-big drinker, as I don’t really drink much anymore (okay, not at all as I’m preggo right now) but I used to really enjoy a cocktail or twelve. And I agree that people who don’t drink without a good excuse are weird. I used to know this woman who was extremely repressed, even though she seemed fun and outgoing. Other people were surprised to find out her deep repression issues, but not me – I knew the second we went out for cocktails and she nursed ONE beer for FOUR hours. And didn’t even finish it. She’s finally gotten a shrink.

| May 25, 2008 @ 2:38 pm

17. Cheryl Lage said,

To think I’ve been reveling in my twin-mama beverage cycle (Red Bull in the morning, red wine at night..) and was unawares I could add another “red” to my mama’s libations list!

| May 25, 2008 @ 5:03 pm

18. merlotmom said,

Okay, I read the interview and I’m now convinced you and I are long lost …somethings. We have sooo much in common, I just didn’t have the confidence to write about it at the time. So I’ve told you all about me in an earlier email, now you can’t leave me hanging…you must reciprocate! Bad form, bad form…

| May 25, 2008 @ 5:09 pm

19. Backpacking Dad said,

Seriously? Another post gone? Another letter?

And from what? The comments that other people wrote, without referencing the losers?

I’m starting to get really mad.

Oh, and yay Babble.

| May 26, 2008 @ 2:37 pm

20. Lisa said,

Did you get a cease and desist order because you told us that you got a cease and desist order?? That’s even cooler!!

we can agree to disagree on the minivan thing… although I agree with you about the flames, but mostly because that’s what Peyton Manning suggests…

| May 26, 2008 @ 9:17 pm

21. Whit said,

Hey, I’m drinking a Red Hook right now.

Thanks for the Babble plug!

| May 27, 2008 @ 6:08 am

22. Black Hockey Jesus said,

Not vicodin. XANAX! You get the same effects of alcohol without all the sloppy behavior. I can work, take care of the kids, go to soccer games – all without the burden of memory.

| May 27, 2008 @ 12:34 pm

23. surcie said,

Lord have mercy. I just don’t get why it’s so difficult for some people [idiots] to GET you. I guess the rest of us will just get to keep you to ourselves. Cheers!

| May 27, 2008 @ 12:53 pm

24. Miss Grace said,

I would like to step in and defend that box of wine. Pink box wine is a good friend of mine. Surely not as close as Two Buck Chuck, but Franzia is still near and dear to my heart.

What do other people use to get to sleep? Yoga!?! EXERCISE????

| May 27, 2008 @ 5:50 pm

25. A Mom Two Boys said,

I’m pretty sure my 9 month old has had a steady rate of red wine in his blood since he was 2 days old and we were released from the hospital. He’s really easy going and mellow…what does that mean?
    As we transition from bf’ing to formula I’m thinking about adding a dropper or two of wine into his nighttime bottle. You know, don’t want to rock the boat too much.

| May 28, 2008 @ 4:54 pm

26. Andee said,

I have found that I can’t hold my drink since I had the oldest. And if I do drink (drink to DRINK) then I don’t want my girls around. Which means I have to ship them off to their grandparents, and that doesn’t happen too often. :-) However, I love me some red wine, even if it is in a box.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. It made my day. Do you mind if I link to yours on my sidebar?

Thanks for keeping it real, and making it easier for others to tell the truth. Great interview by the way!

| May 28, 2008 @ 8:15 pm

I drank and smoked marijuana in moderation throughout my pregnancy and have a very healthy baby.

Look at the research. There are no studies that prove a moderate amount of alcohol negatively impacts a fetus, only that excessive drinking does.

Americans have an all or nothing, Puritanical attitude toward alcohol that is annoying.

| May 28, 2008 @ 8:15 pm

28. Stefanie said,

Hey, just so you know, although I come off as sort of loose about my parenting,I’m not in any way shape or form condoning drinking or smoking pot when you’re pregnant. I do agree that Americans in general can be overzealous but you can include me in that group when it comes to drinking or using drugs when preggo. Maybe I’m paranoid but, I personally, would not drink or use drugs while pregnant because I just wouldn’t want to take that risk. I quit Zoloft cold turkey when I found out I was knocked up. I also would never, ever drive after drinking – although, being called the “cocktail mom” you’d think I would. I’m not judging you, Anonymous, I just want to be clear that I’m not of that same opinion.

| May 29, 2008 @ 12:00 am

29. Carrcakes said,

What about needle drugs?

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

| May 30, 2008 @ 6:26 pm

30. kimsue22 said,

I just discovered your blog here and I too have a toddler and 9 mth old twins, and totally relate to to the have a beer too relax after chaos !!! I look forward to ready your books/blogs!
    CHEERS–Kim