Google At Your Own Risk

Sometimes no news is good news and sometimes no news can just frustrate the shit out you. I’d been waiting for Sadie to morph into the Michelin Baby overnight from all the food she’s taking in now that her yeast infection is clearing up, so after taking her back to the doctor, I was surprised to find that she’d only gained one ounce. He told me to be patient. “She will gain but she has to get used to eating again”… or something like that – I was having trouble focusing on anything but the fact that she’d only gained one ounce. Plus, patience is definitely not my strong suit. Most of the time, the microwave takes way too long for my taste.

People have given me this advice countless times and now I am going to give it to you: stay away from Google if you are at all worried about your child’s health. Google is not a licensed practitioner and in fact, Google is quite the alarmist. So take one alarmist search engine and pair it with a couple of neurotic minds and naturally, my husband and I diagnosed our daughter with William’s Syndrome (I purposely didn’t link to this) as the cause of Sadie’s smallness. It really made sense at the time, low birth weight? Check. A wide upper lip? Sort of!! Turned up nose? Oh my God, yes. It made so much sense that I called my pediatrician on his cellphone (I know – are you kidding me? Who does that? I blame him. He should NEVER have given me that number) on a Sunday no less, to ask him if that was possible. Shockingly, he didn’t sound annoyed but did tell me that it was highly unlikely and that William’s Syndrome presents with heart problems much more major than the slight murmer Sadie has. But was that enough for me? No. I called the GI the next day (mainly because he was smart enough not to give me a cellphone #) and then my husband and I gritted our teeth waiting for him to call back. Five hours later, a very confused sounding Dr. Bahar, told me it was “phenomenally unlikely” that that was the cause of Sadie’s slow gain and to try my best to calm down and see what happens at her next appointment (tomorrow).

For the record, many mothers do have children with all kinds of syndromes and health problems and if Sadie had something like that, obviously, we’d be devastated but we’d deal with it. It’s the not knowing and hanging in limbo that can drive your brain to crazy thoughts and anxiety.

Meanwhile, Matilda of the chunky, good natured, hitting all milestones cuteness, starting screaming uncontrollably yesterday. Because of my now well documented neurosis and because her doctor’s office is practically walking distance, I rushed her in. Thank God she had an ear infection (has anyone ever been thankful for an ear infection?) or I would have felt like a complete paranoid lunatic.

So between the worry over the past few days and last night’s NO SLEEP AT ALL due to feeding Sadie every couple of hours and Matilda not sleeping because of her ear, you, dear readers are the beneficiary of my long and rambling post. Cheers.

I’ll update interested parties tomorrow with Sadie’s progress after her 10 a.m. appointment.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on April 29, 2008 7:48 pmUncategorized23 comments

1. Tuesday Girl said,

Good luck!

| April 29, 2008 @ 10:19 pm

2. Kelsey said,

I really can’t imagine how difficult all of this is. Hang in there — I’ll be thinking of you and wishing Sadie good luck.

| April 29, 2008 @ 10:22 pm

3. A Mom Two Boys said,

I can’t spell…

Google Sucks.

Step Away From The Google. Step. Away.

| April 29, 2008 @ 10:38 pm

4. giggleblue said,

signing up as an “interested party” regarding the doctor visit tomorrow! i’m happy to see she is keeping you up all night because she’s feeding. this is great new (well, minus your sleepless part)

oh, and cyberchondriacs unite!!! i’m sad to say i am one too… i swear i’m well on my way to a Google Medical School degree. i think i only have about 10 more self diagnosis to go.

| April 29, 2008 @ 11:05 pm

5. GirlMD said,

Hope it all goes well tomorrow–

| April 29, 2008 @ 11:31 pm

6. Alysia said,

BEEN there. OMG, sometimes Dr. Google can be the biggest help and sometimes Dr. Google can be the biggest quack. It should come with a warning label.

| April 29, 2008 @ 11:43 pm

7. Aunt Becky said,

Hope that everything kicks ass tomorrow!

| April 30, 2008 @ 12:10 am

holy crap-I totally did that when my daughter was about 6months old. I saw her shake weird once and then I was positive for about a week that it was infant siezure syndrom or something twice as scary. I now force myself not to look it up if I am worried that something is wrong. I hope all goes well tomorrow, good luck!!

| April 30, 2008 @ 12:24 am

9. katd said,

Good luck tomorrow! :)

| April 30, 2008 @ 12:44 am

10. Backpacking Dad said,

mwah!

| April 30, 2008 @ 12:54 am

11. Heza Hekele said,

Yes. I have put “thankful” in front of “an ear infection”, because “an ear infection” is easily addressed and will pass. It is not a diagnosis of something that one must learn to live with, nor is it a diagnosis of something that won’t go away!

| April 30, 2008 @ 12:55 am

12. The Yummy Mummy Cooks Gourmet said,

Okay, count me in.

Last year, I googled “facial tingling” and became convinced I had MS. My doctor just rolled his eyes at me and sent me home.

When I got home, I googled “facial tingling” again and I convinced myself I was probably going into menopause. I called him and he reminded me that I was breastfeeding and that probably wasn’t a good indicator of menopause.

Point taken. No more Google.

You are great fun…

Kim

| April 30, 2008 @ 2:27 am

13. The Yummy Mummy Cooks Gourmet said,

On a serious note –

I’ll be thinking about you tomorrow and checking back on Sadie’s progress.

Luck to you…

Kim

| April 30, 2008 @ 2:31 am

14. Heather said,

HAAAAA! Yesterday, I said to the mother of Maddie’s roommate “I can’t wait for her to have something normal like an ear infection!” And we decided that when one of our kids has an ear infection, we will go out for drinks to celebrate. Because that’s what responsible parents of sick children do.

| April 30, 2008 @ 2:50 am

15. Surcie said,

How clever of Matilda to employ the ol’ ear infection trick. Sibling rivalry’s a beyotch.

| April 30, 2008 @ 3:32 am

16. RhoRho said,

Gawd and I complain about my kids puking. I should be ashamed! Crossing my fingers for you that it’s not that syndrome and she’ll just start gaining, period. In one way, yes it sucks to have all this info at our fingertips but in another, at least we can play a role…I donno? I too am very guilty of the googling…best of luck tomorrow.

| April 30, 2008 @ 3:42 am

17. Denise Thomas said,

Stef, I can’t imagine how difficult this must be. I agree — the not knowing would be the worst. Remember we are all thinking about you.

| April 30, 2008 @ 11:40 am

18. Cheryl Lage said,

Hang in there, Stef.
    Dr. Google has misdiagnosed our Sarah with Celiac disease on more than one occasion…why he sticks with a pediatrician dispelled diagnosis, I don’t know. Dr. Google’s also hinted more than once at all sorts of autism spectrum issues with our he-child who loves to watch his hands move rapidly with socks and various other wavable things in them. Of course dear son can look me in the eye and explain, “I just like the way I can imagine with them. It’s prettier.”

Thank goodness we don’t have to make a co-pay each time we visit his too-convenient 24/7 “office.”

I’d say stop frequenting his practice, but it’d be a “Physician, heal thyself” kind of hypocrisy. Wishing you a reassuring appointment today, and maybe an internet access mishap to revel in the sure-to-be good news you hear today.

| April 30, 2008 @ 1:24 pm

19. Val said,

The worst thing you can do…unless you want your pediatrician to think you completely lost it….it print your Google searches and take it with you. Take it from me….been there, done that…not pretty.

| April 30, 2008 @ 3:47 pm

20. Catwoman said,

Of course you’re driving yourself crazy with worry, instead of the standard one baby to obsess over, you’ve got two! My little brain would have exploded by now if I were you.

As a fellow worrier, I think you’re handling everything with amazing calmness.

| April 30, 2008 @ 6:11 pm

21. Kate said,

Hang in there sweetie! You just sound like a mom concerned about her babies. I think we all go a bit nuts when it comes to our kids. But that’s just because they are so darn cute and we want their lives to be perfect. Good Luck tomorrow!

| April 30, 2008 @ 8:09 pm

My middle son (1.5 yro) was screaming for an hour each night for 6 weeks. The middle of the night. For no reason. I took him to the doctor who told me: no ear infection. I was mad. :) Parenting makes ya crazy. -DQ

| May 2, 2008 @ 8:36 pm

23. Chris Mancini said,

So true. My wife is thinking about getting her tubes tied after our second child is born in July. Her doctor said there were no side effects but after using the internet she’s worried she’s going to get Scurvy.

| May 5, 2008 @ 11:51 pm