Three Words You Don’t Want To Hear…

I took Sadie to the pediatrician on Friday, earlier than I had planned because the food intake was getting more and more pathetic. When she was weighed, I was disheartened to see that she was still under eight pounds. 7 lb 14 oz to be exact. We discussed the different issues that could be causing her painfully slow weight gain (although it is a gain –albeit a small one). I explained that I think her suck is all wrong – it used to be cute to hear her little quick noisy pulls at the bottle but now I realize that it was because she wasn’t getting the hang of it like her sister. My doctor agreed but said that that although he could rule out most major organ problems because he’d done a complete blood work up on her, he still needed to figure out exactlywhat the problem was immediately and fix it because my little Sadie has “failure to thrive.” Don’t Google it.

Tomorrow afternoon she has an appointment with an occupational therapist and today I should be getting a referral to a gastroenterologist. After that, he’d like her to see a neurologist. I guess after four months a baby should have the hang of coordinating their suck swallow technique or it could mean there’s a deeper issue. Or not.

But here’s the good news. Hours after overhearing the doctor talking trash about her, Sadie decided to prove everyone wrong by guzzling formula like it was her career. She sucked down six ounces plus two more for good measure from the time we got home and the next day took 20 which is way up from what she had been taking on a good day. Yesterday, my little hero took 20 again. I think she heard the word neurologist and was like, “oh no you di’int! I ain’t even trying to hear that, mama!”And then she gave us like a hundred gummy smiles over the weekend. I didn’t even have to take my normal amount of Xanax.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on April 7, 2008 2:39 pmUncategorized29 comments

1. Floyd said,

Excellent! So I would think Sadie is simply more competitive than she is ambitious. Once you made it challenging for her, she decided to prove you wrong. I’m rooting for her to be a great sucker….um…forgive the poor wording.

P.S. Been lurking for a bit – really like your blog.

| April 7, 2008 @ 3:24 pm

2. carrie said,

I’m rooting for her!

| April 7, 2008 @ 3:36 pm

3. KTP said,

| April 7, 2008 @ 4:06 pm

4. Lynsey said,

Woohoo Go Sadie!

| April 7, 2008 @ 4:35 pm

5. Rachel said,

Glad to hear she is doing better!

| April 7, 2008 @ 5:13 pm

6. anna said,

Go Sadie, go!

I saw a baby recently who was given the failure to thrive label as an infant – he is now so big I could hardly hold him!

| April 7, 2008 @ 5:14 pm

7. Kian said,

WTG Sadie!!

My daughter is adopted (she was 7 months) and I was told that she would never walk without surgeries and that they thought she had cerebral palsy. Well literally the day after I was told those things (and yes she was listening) she started rolling over. Within 1 month she was on target. There’s nothing wrong with her now, except she is an obnoxious tween. But that’s normal.

Maybe Sadie is like her, she doesn’t want to hear smack about herself!

No matter the reason: GO SADIE!!

| April 7, 2008 @ 6:04 pm

8. lilfootsmommy said,

Nice going Sadie!!! And good work momma!!!

| April 7, 2008 @ 6:39 pm

9. Cara said,

I hope Sadie keeps on guzzling that formula, and that she starts gaining soon!

| April 7, 2008 @ 6:57 pm

10. Smiling Mama said,

How about we start calling her Spunky Sadie?!! woo hoo!

| April 7, 2008 @ 7:29 pm

11. sparklykatt said,

I am so, so, SOOOO happy to hear this!

You have been in my thoughts!

| April 7, 2008 @ 8:10 pm

12. Denise Thomas said,

Clearly, little Sadie is a little champ! She just works well under pressure.
    I am thinking of you, friend. She’s gonna be just fine (easy for me to say. sorry.)

| April 7, 2008 @ 8:20 pm

13. Julia said,

Oh, man, that IS good news. I hope she keeps up her new pace and shows everyone what’s what.

| April 7, 2008 @ 8:38 pm

14. andi said,

Aw, failure to thrive. That is a frightening label, indeed.

Good to see your headstrong little one (where does she get that from, I wonder?) is set on proving everyone wrong. I hope she continues to eat like a little piggy.

Hugs to you, Stef.

| April 7, 2008 @ 10:58 pm

15. heidi said,

that lil varmint! responding threats! You are SO in trouble when she’s a teenager 😉

| April 7, 2008 @ 11:16 pm

16. Cheryl Lage said,

Go Sadie, Go Sadie!
    Those words being bandied about do make a momma neurotic, but it sho’ sounds like Sadie is having none of it! Labels be damned! Go get ’em, Sweet Sadie!

(You hang in there, Mama…you’re doing awesome. NO internet when it comes to issues like that! Seriously!)

| April 8, 2008 @ 12:03 am

17. PDX Mama said,

Oh, good for her! I hope she keeps at it.

Sorry, mama, on the “failure to thrive” mention. Here’s hoping she’s on a mission to kick that label.

Go Sadie, go Sadie!

| April 8, 2008 @ 12:05 am

18. MereCat said,

Sadie’s just on her own timeline. She knows what’s she’s doing. Kiss her head for me.

| April 8, 2008 @ 2:06 am

19. Becky said,

YOU CAN DO IT, SADIE. YOU CAN DO IT!

Sorry, Stef, that’s got to be so disheartening to hear.

| April 8, 2008 @ 2:07 am

20. Backpacking Dad said,

There. Now you’ve made a grown man cry.

I’m so happy for you guys that Sadie hauled on that bottle.

| April 8, 2008 @ 2:35 am

21. Petunia Face said,

Go Sadie Go! I had a teeny baby too and remember how scary each weigh in was, how I just wanted her sweet sharpei skin to fill up with fat. Now she’s a healthy 2 year old with a big old yummy tummy.
    Hang in there!

| April 8, 2008 @ 3:33 am

22. RhoRho said,

Drink up, Sadie! So happy to hear that.

| April 8, 2008 @ 3:43 am

23. A Mom Two Boys said,

Okay, so first I was all…

Oh, no!

But then it ended and I was all…

Oh, yay! Go Sadie!

So, I think what you have is a girl who is going to give the proverbial middle finger to EVERYONE. First it was to you for saying Eat, Eat! That was fun until she heard the Doc say “Specialists” and now she’s just sticking it to the Dr. Watch out for her. She’s going to keep you on your toes.

| April 8, 2008 @ 2:30 pm

24. Christine said,

Go, Sadie!!!

My step-daughter was labeled failure to thrive, too. This was years before I met her, but I can tell you that she’s a wonderful, healthy woman. Like Sadie, she just wasn’t eating enough, for whatever reason. Once she started eating, she packed on the pounds in no time and they whipped that label right off her.

Sounds like Sadie is going to follow the same route. Yippee Sadie!!!

| April 8, 2008 @ 4:27 pm

25. Bonnie said,

Great news! Go Sadie, go!

| April 8, 2008 @ 4:32 pm

26. katd said,

HA:) She wasn’t having that doctor tell her what she would or wouldn’t do! I’m so glad she’s starting to eat better!

| April 9, 2008 @ 12:53 am

27. Mrs. T said,

Sometimes, I think they really do hear what we’re all sayin’ and they get it together. When my daughter was born she was in the NICU for 10 days(nothing compared to what you went through). She was sceptic, which is hospital talk for sick and infected because she inhaled meconium while I was trying to birth her. Anyway, she would turn blue when she ate, and her pulse ox. level would drop, so the neonatalogist put her on tube feedings. I remember just holding her and rocking her and whispering to her that she needed to learn to breathe and to get better. And, she did.
    Your little sweetie’s got a whole lot of people rooting for her.

| April 9, 2008 @ 3:05 am

28. Kim/2 Kids said,

My daughter weighed 5lbs 4oz at term and couldn’t suck for weeks, she also had failure to thrive. She was 16lbs at a year and has kept on growing. She goes to middle school next year, weighs 80lbs and is healthy, athletic and smart. I am rooting for her!

| April 9, 2008 @ 5:42 am

29. Chris said,

You go girl! Pretty soon she will be vogueing her way to the fridge.

| April 9, 2008 @ 6:36 pm