Smile For the Endoscopy Camera!

Yesterday, after an agonizing few days of watching Sadie get more and more vehemently opposed to food, like a teeny tiny supermodel getting ready for a bikini shoot, we took her back in to see the GI ($125 out of pocket).

First Sadie was weighed by the scowly intake chick. And, by the way, I don’t think anyone should be able to describe as scowly if you work in a pediatric doctor’s office. I mean, sure, maybe it’s not the most well paying job on the planet but you’re wearing a Juicy sweat jacket – life can’t be that bad. Lighten the fuck up. Anyway, Sadie had gained three ounces from her last appointment. Seeing as how she’d been gaining 2 oz a day for a little while, this did not seem promising even if it was a slight gain.

“This is insane” was my greeting to Dr. G the second he walked into the exam room. “Just the mere sight of the bottle makes her scream.”

“Well, she has gained a little weight. Not as much as we’d like to see but she’s not losing weight. I could give her Prevacid and see if it improves or I could do an endoscopy but I don’t think I’m going to find anything.”

My husband wanted to know what he could find with an endoscopy. He gave us a few options like a stomach that’s too small or a tumor or trouble swallowing. But he didn’t seem to think it was likely that she had any of those issues. He was of the opinion that it was possible our three-month-old (corrected age) baby was just being oppositional.

“It’s like trying to sit a toddler down on the toilet and say “toilet train.” I kind of wanted to believe that was true but I had serious doubts. No one in my family has ever had the problem of “not wanting to eat.” I come from a long line of Jews who like nothing better than gorging on corn beef on rye or at the very least a nice Cobb salad.

My husband just wanted to make sure she was going to be okay. He wanted –needed that reassurance. Just WILL MY CHILD BE OKAY? Dr. G said he thought she would. Then he left the office for a few minutes. I looked at my husband and said, “Something needs to be done. This is not a livable situation. I can’t force feed her everyday. And I don’t want to wait and see if she starts eating more eventually. I think we should do the endoscopy.”

Luckily my husband agreed. Who needs money to pay your monthly bills when you could get a $750 photograph (The $750 doctor fee NOT COVERED by Blue Cross) of the inside of Sadie’s esophogus? And this is how we came to find out that Sadie has an esophogal Candida otherwise known as a yeast infection in her esophogus that causes major pain when eating.

I know what you’re thinking, “How the hell does a baby get a yeast infection in the esophagus?” Hard to tell. Dr. G thinks she may have gotten it in the NICU and her immune system as a preemie has never been strong enough to fight it off. It may have just recently gotten bad enough to cause her to practically stop eating. But who cares? It’s treatable! We have a possible answer! It’s all good news in my book. All good except for the Prevacid we still needed which was not covered by Blue Cross for some unknown fucking arbitrary reason and cost $150 for about a week’s supply.

SO…cautious optimism that our little Sadie will be back to her only semi-food averse self in the next day or so. And screw you Blue Cross.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on April 17, 2008 4:21 pmUncategorized53 comments

1. Rachael said,

I’m so glad you decided to get the endo! It sounds like your intuition was right to do it, and hopefully once you get that infection cleared up she’ll start eating like a champ. I’ll keep your family in my thoughts!

| April 17, 2008 @ 5:18 pm

I would file an appeal with Blue Cross if I were you to get the prevacid covered. My daughter is also on it and I have blue cross and it is covered, although at a higer co-pay because it isn’t a forumulary medicine.

| April 17, 2008 @ 5:22 pm

3. Heather said,

What is it about Blue Cross? I am on the phone with them every other day. Any insurance company that will deny my claim for an EPIDURAL for a C-SECTION is pure evil.

So, are you going to post that $750 picture of her esophagus or what? 😉

| April 17, 2008 @ 5:23 pm

4. Undomestic Diva said,

Seriously, please be so careful if your ped gastro doc recommends surgery. Not to scare you, but my sister had all these tests and then surgery was recommended and she’s far worse now. This, obviously, isn’t your situation by any means but please, please, please if you (somewhere down the road) are told to consider surgery, just get a second opinion beforehand because you can’t undo a lot of these procedures.

You’re in So. Cal right? We are too, I’m curious who your ped gastro doc is.

| April 17, 2008 @ 5:23 pm

5. Stefanie said,

I’m not planning any surgery. If Sadie needed surgery (which she definitely doesn’t) then I would, of course, be very very careful. The endoscopy was painless and required no sedation. She didn’t even cry. My doctor is Ron Bahar and he’s very competant and highly recommended by my pediatrician Dr. Peter Shulman who is a GOD. they both practice in Encino.

| April 17, 2008 @ 5:29 pm

6. lfm said,

Wow, how fortunate it turned out to be something treatable!!! And I’m glad you decided to get the endoscopy.

Quick funny yeast infection story (or lack there of). I was getting my daughter ready for bed one night on her changing table after bath time. I made her giggle and she followed suit and opened her mouth wide open to where I could easily see the roof of her mouth. I noticed it was really white, so I immediately called to my hubbie and thought OMG, she has thrush!!! So I brought her into our bedroom where hubbie was, laid her on the bed and made her giggle so I could show hubbie. He put his finger in her mouth, pushed ont he roof of her mouth and the white came right off. It was a piece of bread from dinner that had glued/suctioned itself to the roof of her mouth. HAHAHAHA…We laughed hard about that one for a good long time.

| April 17, 2008 @ 5:33 pm

7. Backpacking Dad said,

Excellent work. I love hearing that once in a while mom’s instincts turn out to be better than the doctor’s.

Not that I think doctors get it wrong or something; I just know that parents get really bad press about second-guessing their doctors’ recommendations so it’s nice to see someone ignore that stuff, participate in the process, and get rewarded with good news.

I’m really happy for you.

| April 17, 2008 @ 5:40 pm

8. Previously said,

Great news. Good for you for continuing to push.

My little one has reflux and is on prevacid. A little tip… prevacid has a discount card you can get through their website that takes $25 off each rx. They also hand out samples to pediatricians like candy and ours gives us several boxes at each appointment.

I hope the infection clears soon. Hang in there – I can’t even imagine how stressful this must be.

| April 17, 2008 @ 5:44 pm

9. Jen said,

Screw you Blue Cross indeed. But hooray for finding out what’s going on and for it being relativly easy to treat. Your girl will be bulking up in no time!

| April 17, 2008 @ 5:45 pm

10. Becky said,

Answers! Yay! GO SADIE!

I had an endoscopy a couple of years ago to go with my kicky colonoscopy. I made sure to check with my GI that they not do the lower end with the same tube as the upper.

He was not amused.

Seriously, this is great news.

| April 17, 2008 @ 5:48 pm

11. Jen said,

It is wonderful that you got an answer!

| April 17, 2008 @ 5:49 pm

12. MereCat said,

Oh wow! That’s great news! Oh joy! I think you are on your way now. Great momma intuition.

| April 17, 2008 @ 6:10 pm

13. iheartchocolate said,

I am SO glad you all were so persistant! That is wonderful news! Poor Sadie, stupid docs! I am sorry you are struggling with these unexpected expenses. I wish you LOTS of luck and lots of growth for Sadie!

| April 17, 2008 @ 6:11 pm

14. Rachel said,

I am glad to hear you discovered the problem. My friend’s 2 year old just had a yeast infection on her tonsils, it took forever for them to figure out what was wrong.

I hope once this gets treated your daughter will eat like a champ.

| April 17, 2008 @ 6:15 pm

15. Historic Moment said,

Yeah!!! I’m so glad you have some kind of answer!

BCBS blows giant chunks. They stopped covering the only med for my acid reflux that worked, it was a stupidly long process (that has to be repeated every year) but between my doc and I appealing to their lack-of-a-human-heart, they do cover it now…

Don’t give up on the Prevacid, appeal…

| April 17, 2008 @ 6:47 pm

16. GIRL'S GONE CHILD said,

YES! Stefanie! This is awesome, fantastic news! Fuck Blue Cross but SERIOUSLY! This post makes me so-so happy. She’ll be eating before you know it! Hooray!

| April 17, 2008 @ 7:18 pm

17. Alysia said,

That is awesome. It’s so good to trust your gut. You knew it was something. Hopefully she’ll turn into a little chub now!

| April 17, 2008 @ 7:30 pm

18. Miss Merry Sunshine said,

GREAT NEWS!!!

| April 17, 2008 @ 7:30 pm

so awesome that you got that figured out!! That is the best thing. Sometimes I wonder about the doctors. It’s like they don’t get what you are going through at home.

| April 17, 2008 @ 7:32 pm

20. MsPrufrock said,

I am so pleased to hear that you have an answer! Funny that something which caused you so much grief and frustration is so treatable. Shame it wasn’t a bit cheaper to reach that conclusion, eh?

Good luck to Sadie!

| April 17, 2008 @ 7:38 pm

21. Stefanie said,

Just for the record, Dr. Bahar wasn’t taking our concerns lightly. He genuinely felt for what we were going through and did the procedure on his lunch hour an hour and a half after our appoinment. He just didn’t want to push us into an option if it wasn’t necessary and my pediatrician backed up the fact that having yeast in your esophagus without mouth thrush is very unusual. I didn’ want to give that impression – I just felt more desperate than he did.

| April 17, 2008 @ 7:39 pm

22. Lynsey said,

Wow Insurance is crazy! What the hell?? I’m so so so glad that you have the most likely answer!! Yeah!!!!

Lyns

| April 17, 2008 @ 7:42 pm

23. Mindi said,

My husband was prescribed prevacid but the over the counter brand works well for him. Its a heck of a lot cheeper – costco sells a 3 box pack. I don’t know if it would be recommended for a baby though.

| April 17, 2008 @ 7:55 pm

24. Kathy said,

Good for you for choosing to go with the endojfdkorheio, or whatever. POOR BABY!!! I just feel awful that she’s been in so much pain all this time. Poor thing. Is there anything they can give you to treat the pain??

| April 17, 2008 @ 8:08 pm

25. mommymae said,

f*ck blue cross. what’s the point of having insurance if they don’t cover medical needs!?! although prevacid was covered for me, they would only cover the tablets that were twice the size we needed, so i bought a pill cutter. could this be the case with sadie? it’s worth asking since it costs so damn much.

got the book today and can’t wait to start tonight!!

| April 17, 2008 @ 8:12 pm

26. Julia said,

Oh, man that’s great news. It sucks, though, that you had to be the ones to suggest to the specialist that, um hey, this isn’t right. Having had to do so myself more than a few times, I know what a relief it is to have something to hang your hat on: to be able to say, “See! I told you she isn’t just ornery!”

Our insurance randomly denies all sorts of medicines. We’ve paid $500 out of pocket on Caroline’s meds alone, and she’s 8 mo. old.

And don’t get me started on the lab deductibles.

| April 17, 2008 @ 8:22 pm

27. putty said,

Fuck Blue Cross. Rocky just switched to Pacificare. Switching insurance companies is like quitting Flavor of Love to be a contestant on Rock of Love – it’s just a different Douchbag screwing you – but it had to be done. I hate BC!

| April 17, 2008 @ 8:37 pm

28. Kat said,

I am so glad that you guys finally found out what was making Sadie not eat…good luck after the yeast infection clears up in her throat – she may go straight to cheeseburgers!
    I feel so connected to your trials with the babies because Maggie was born just before the twins(TURKEY DAY!)
    Wish you all of the best…
    Kat

| April 17, 2008 @ 8:50 pm

29. giggleblue said,

i’m totally excited for you! this was like reading an episode of mystery diagnosis!! god, i love that show.

at any rate, i’m glad to see that you got to the root of the problem! i’m rooting for little (soon to be bigger) Sadie.

| April 17, 2008 @ 9:03 pm

30. Petunia Face said,

Hip hip horray for the yeast infection! That is awesome news. Imagine Sadie’s surprise when all of a sudden it doesn’t hurt to eat :)

| April 17, 2008 @ 9:15 pm

31. Kim/2 Kids said,

My daughter was denied all medical coverage because of an ongoing kidney issue. I appealed the decision and it was approved. In all your spare time, make it difficult for them because they are counting on you giving up.

| April 17, 2008 @ 10:52 pm

32. andi said,

I have no idea what the point of having insurance is when it doesn’t cover the most basic of procedures. Seriously, WTF?

On another note, I am so, so happy to hear that there may be a reason she’s not eating and that she’s not just being all stubborn and pre-pubescent already. I hope it all gets cleared up soon!

| April 17, 2008 @ 10:56 pm

33. A Mom Two Boys said,

I never thought I’d be so happy to hear that a baby (or anyone for that matter) has an esophageal yeast infection! But, YAY!

Hopefully she’ll be causing you fits for OTHER reasons soon!

We’re dealing with a penile yeast infection over here. Not good for when he’s older and his buddies find out about it…I’ll have to leave it off my blog.

| April 17, 2008 @ 11:09 pm

34. Elizabeth said,

Stef –

So with you on the healthcare mentality. Where’s the care in healthcare anyway? But more glad you may have an answer to all of this. That sweet girl – pretty soon she WILL eat a muffin!

Elizabeth Lyons

| April 17, 2008 @ 11:47 pm

I realize you are angry at not having your GI covered by BC but there are lots and lots of people who simply have no health insurance period. I have yet to meet a doctor who will not give a break to people who do not have insurance so I would suggest that you negotiate the outrageous fee with your GI doctor.

| April 18, 2008 @ 12:58 am

36. Marly said,

What a relief! Good luck to you and little Sadie!

Also, try giving the manufacturer of Prevacid a call. They have a program for reducing costs for those who meet certain requirements.

| April 18, 2008 @ 1:36 am

37. Surcie said,

I’m relieved for you!

| April 18, 2008 @ 1:36 am

What excellent news! Grow, Sadie, grow!!!

| April 18, 2008 @ 1:52 am

39. RhoRho said,

Kickass! So freaking happy for your family. Yeast – who’d a thunk it?

| April 18, 2008 @ 2:22 am

40. PDX Mama said,

Oh, I hope, hope this is the answer. Sounds very promising. Poor Sadie (and poor Mama).

| April 18, 2008 @ 3:38 am

41. Rachel said,

Poor Sadie. I would be crying too. I’m glad you figured out what the problem was.

| April 18, 2008 @ 5:22 am

42. rebeccahomecca said,

Good for you for pushing the issue! Doctors need to figure out that MAMA KNOWS. I am so glad it is something (relatively) minor! It’s never minor when it’s your baby, but at least it is an answer with a solution!

| April 18, 2008 @ 12:51 pm

43. Am I doing okay? said,

Oh yay! That is great news. I posted about my insurance woes yesterday. We share the same pre-existing condition.

| April 18, 2008 @ 2:28 pm

Way to go for following your intuition and having the procedure done! BC/BS sucks balls.

| April 18, 2008 @ 4:02 pm

45. TheMama said,

Yay for finally knowing!

We have BC too. They royally screwed up adding our nugget to our plan, and then listed him with MY doc. That was a fun bill to get in the mail, so I can’t even imagine what I would have done if we had has issues like you guys do.

Hang in there, and another Yay for Mommy instincts. Hope she’s feeling better ASAP!

| April 18, 2008 @ 4:26 pm

46. Leslie said,

I’m so bummed I missed the contest! But I am very glad to hear that you found a likely cause for Sadie’s eating problems. I imagine a yeast infection in her little ‘ol “food tube” would hurt like hell! I hope she kicks it quickly and is soon guzzling gallons of formula! And BTW- Blue Cross does suck!

| April 18, 2008 @ 4:38 pm

47. katd said,

I’m so glad that you have some answers now. Blue Cross blows; when we adopted Lily, they refused to pay for most of her hospital stay – even though we were legally her parents just 24 hours after birth. It took MONTHS of fighting to get them to do what they were legally required to do.
    Here’s to hoping Miss Sadie gains quickly :)

| April 18, 2008 @ 5:37 pm

48. Lil Mouse said,

well gee, yeast plus feeding it with lactose or lactose like sugars is going to lead to one screaming baby. no friggin wonder.

i am SO glad that you got it figured out!

| April 18, 2008 @ 7:27 pm

49. Heza Hekele said,

Treatable! The most fabulous word a mother with a sick child can ever hear! And I’ll add another “Fuck you blue cross!” on your behalf;-)

| April 18, 2008 @ 10:45 pm

50. Kim said,

OH!! COOL!! I hope this is *it* and once cleared up Sadie will quickly catch up with Matilda!

| April 19, 2008 @ 7:19 am

51. Michelle said,

I’m so glad you found out the problem! That’s great she didn’t need sedation for an endoscopy – now i’m mad/wondering why my baby did. We also have Blue Cross and they said they wouldn’t cover Prevacid but after our ped gastro told them that we had tried Zantac, and it didn’t work, Blue Cross agreed to cover Prevacid. If you don’t get it covered my friend told me of a rebate you can get, although I can’t remember through whom. Sorry.

| April 19, 2008 @ 3:04 pm

52. carrie said,

Sorry the insurance didn’t cover the expense, but hallelujah that you found out what was causing her not to thrive! And it’s treatable!

That, is the best news ever.

| April 20, 2008 @ 12:58 am

53. Christine said,

Oh…that poor girl. Anyone who’s had a yeast infection knows how hard it is to *ahem* deal with something passing through that orifice. IT HURTS.

I am so glad you figured this out. What a smart girl she is to see that bottle and cry. No need to age adjust her cognitive ability, that’s for sure.

| April 21, 2008 @ 1:58 am