Specs Appeal

I took the preemies (otherwise known as dis one and dat one) to the eye doctor today. For those of you not “in the know” about preemies, they are vulnerable to having eye problems. When Sadie (dis one) was discharged from the NICU, I had instructions to take her to the eye doc one month later. Despite the fact that this referral was stuck on the refrigerator from the day they were home, I didn’t get around to making the appointment until a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, a month or so late. I know, you’d think with my light schedule of feeding, burping, not sleeping, staring into space, watching a third of a Lifetime movie, taking my daughter to school, picking her up, making her lunch, forgetting her lunch, driving back home to retrieve said lunch oh and the other doctor’s appointments every week, I wouldn’t have forgotten the eye doctor. But I did.

The first thing I was told when I called the office was that “we do NOT validate parking!” Okay, noted. Oh, and we do not take your pitiful Blue Cross insurance. Really? No Blue Cross? Isn’t Blue Cross like the one dollar bill of medical insurance? It’s ubiquitous! So I ask if there’s an infant eye doctor in the area that does take our insurance and I’m informed that there is only one other office and they take NO insurance. Great, so I’ll be paying cash then. We weren’t off to a good start, the eye doctor’s and I.

So, on my way out the door I made a mental note of the forty dollars in my wallet keeping in mind the “no validating.” The office staff was as nonaccomodating as I suspected they’d be but the doctor was a lovely man. He told me he’d be checking the preemies’ vision to see if they’d need glasses. I said “you mean in the future?” and he said, “no, now.” I hadn’t known that three-month-old babies could wear glasses but apparently, if they have very bad vision, they can. So, naturally I said, “if they need glasses could we do colored contacts instead?” I got a small laugh. But it turns out they have perfect vision.

The news only gets better when I go to check out with a different person than the one who took me in. Turns out they did indeed take my insurance and I left only a co-pay of 45 dollars each poorer. Believe me, this was a hundred times better than the $250 dollars per baby I thought I was in for.

Unfortunately, they weren’t lying about the not validating parking thing and I actually didn’t have a cent on me. I had to go park across the street in another parking lot that charges money, go to an ATM, drive back across the street and pay three dollars. And it cost me a buck to get out of the second lot.

And there’s no American Idol on tonight. Damn it.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on March 13, 2008 9:54 pmUncategorized13 comments

1. heidi said,

I put my preemie in his glasses for the first time when he turned 1. He was in awe at what his sister’s face looked like close-up. So far, it’s been a whole new pair once a year, & they’re cute, but they’re NOT cheap! Oy.

| March 13, 2008 @ 10:53 pm

2. Lynsey said,

All that to just park–wow! Makes me miss my podunk down even more! Good to hear about the babies eyes…I’ve heard of babies wearing glasses and I was shocked that they did so young. Next thing we know they WILL be wearing contacts :/

| March 14, 2008 @ 1:01 am

3. Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said,

You would think a parking lot would have sympathy for the lady with TWO infants.

Or at least take Visa.

| March 14, 2008 @ 2:49 am

4. becky_handsfull said,

No, Sarah, they have no sympathy. Don’t even get me started on MY stupid eye doctor … the only one within a 70-mile radius (yes, I had my insurance company check) … the one I HATE …

Ah well.

Good to hear yours have good vision, Stefanie. Yay! Do you have to take them back for checkups? (Mine are almost old enough for my “regular” eye doc … I like him MUCH better.)

| March 14, 2008 @ 12:59 pm

5. Catwoman said,

Glad to hear that you found a doctor willing to chuckle.

If I don’t manage to get at least one laugh during any doctor’s appointment, I take my business elsewhere.

I have no time for overly-educated stuffies.

| March 14, 2008 @ 9:00 pm

6. Michelle said,

Wait til you try to find a developmental ped for your preemie just when you thought you were done with all this shit. And the only one covered within a 100 mile radius of your major metro city is in her 70s and not board certified. Um, yeah BC and I went rounds over that one. Suffice it to say, I found a mecca for preemies, unfortunately, the waiting list to even schedule an appointment is somewhere in July. And, it better be covered.

Any way, glad the kiddos don’t have any ROP problems and need any surgeries. My son has had 6 eye surgeries, so far, and he is only 3.

I think your girls are just trying to torture you a little with all the screaming and not sleeping. Those preemies do like to pull that crap!

Hang in there!

| March 14, 2008 @ 10:35 pm

7. Surcie said,

I lamely turned on Fox thinking I’d get AI. Now I’m seven minutes into the new Parker Posey/Lauren Ambrose sitcom. So far so good.

I’m sure setting that appointment is only one of a million things you’re going to forget. Anyone who doesn’t understand can. . .well, I don’t know what to suggest exactly, but they should just cut you some slack.

| March 15, 2008 @ 12:13 am

8. Christine said,

Sometimes all one needs is a little validation. Is that too much to ask?

| March 15, 2008 @ 2:01 am

9. David said,

Okay…how can they tell if the babies have perfect vision? Can the babies respond to ‘Okay….1 or 2….2 or three….three or four?”

And if they can tell without getting a response…why do I have to go through 8 billion questions when I go to the eye doctor?

Just curious…

| March 15, 2008 @ 4:52 pm

10. Linda K said,

Never be afraid of pulling the “I am dealing with count em TWO babies right now and that’s about all that I can deal with” card with anyone who is less than helpful. Its amazing how when you remind people of that they can really change their tune from nasty to hice.

My preemie b/g twins flat refused to sleep for more months than I can remember — actually I still (they are 4) remember the date that each of my two started sleeping through the night in their own cribs — hang in there. Most of my twin momma friends agree that at about 10 lbs they will turn a corner with sleep and by 6 months you’ll remember what sleep is again.

One more thing — no guilt is necessary for having some full time help (just read an old post). I didn’t have any help with my preemie twins except the occasional weekend visit from my MIL, and I would have loved to have had even part time help. Your hands are really full right now and if you and your DSH have the means to get you some help — happily have the help — no guilt necessary!

| March 16, 2008 @ 4:05 am

11. slackermommy said,

Sounds a lot like the day I had! At least you got good news on the babies vision. I am curious to how they check an infants vision.

| March 16, 2008 @ 7:01 pm

12. baggage said,

That parking situation sucks. Reminds me of one time where I was trying to go over a bridge that had a toll. I didn’t have enough money for the toll. I had to back up, causing all sorts of traffic nightmares, and then go find an ATM, and then come back for the thirty cents or whatever it was.

| March 17, 2008 @ 7:20 pm

13. Lucky said,

My daughter got glasses at 7 months old (she’s now 14 months). She wasn’t a preemie…just very farsighted and has a cross-eye and lazy eye.

Most people have never seen a baby with glasses so we get a lot of strange comments. Many people think they are not real and just an accessory!

For anyone reading this who has young children wearing glasses check out Solo Bambino frames…they are completely flexible and practically unbreakable! (I have no affiliation with the company…just a satisfied customer).

I’m glad your girls have good vision. I just found your blog and am enjoying it.
    Lucky