Some Bunny Loves Me

Today me and my friend Kizzy loaded up the car (fine, minivan) with children, pretzel goldfish, juice boxes, a change of shoes for some reason, sweaters, a camera and Easter baskets to head out to the Descano Garden for the egg hunt to end all egg hunts. This thing was known throughout the LA area to be spectacular. A few things we forgot: sunscreen and a flask. Yeah, it kind of sucked. First off, it was advertised as 4 dollars for the kids which includes a basket for a 45 minutes egg hunt. Not bad, right? Uh, you’d be wrong. It was 7 bucks just to enter the gardens and the line was longer than to get into Disneyland. Then it was another 4 for the basket but the kids were only allowed to pick up 5 eggs. In 45 minutes. Listen, if your kid can spend 45 minutes finding 5 eggs which are just thrown haphazardly on a lawn, I think you have bigger problems than the price of admission. I think you need a tutor. But more unappealing than the 5 egg limit was the 2 hour wait for the privilege of finding 5 eggs. Yes, the 9:30, 10:15, and 11 o’clock were sold out. The only tour left was the 11:45. Naturally we didn’t find this out until we reached the front of the line to buy tickets -which I bought but promptly resold to an unsuspecting family at the back of the line when I realized that I’d never survive the heat until 11:45.

Now, at this point, I just wanted to go home but Kizzy and I had children with us. Children who wanted to see the Easter bunny dammit! So see the Easter Bunny they did.

I think my daughter will be permanently cured of any interest in future Easter bunnies.

Does anyone else get the feeling that this “Easter Bunny” is mandated to register it’s whereabouts with the state every year?

This photo is courtesy of Kizz by the way.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on March 22, 2008 8:24 pmUncategorized28 comments

1. gmcountrymama said,

Wow! The Easter egg hunt in our town is free. Of course it consists of picking up eggs thrown on the fly covered floor INSIDE the town hall. Now we just have one in our own yard and the kids get more than 5 eggs and they don’t get any flies.
    Can’t wait to see you on TV again!

| March 22, 2008 @ 9:04 pm

2. Margaret Chavez said,

That bunny is freakin’ creepy! Now my sweet little brown eyed girl is gonna be scared of more than flushing the potty…..now she’ll be watching out for rabbit holes! Why do all those “child friendly” outings turn out to be a big pain in the ass for all?
    Thanks for the post, you! This is all so scary and new to me. Takes me forever to figure out how to post on someone else’s page…then how to get back to my own. Well, what’s to be expected from someone who spends their days with preschoolers?!!!

| March 22, 2008 @ 9:43 pm

3. All Things BD said,

That bunny is terrifying on so many levels.

That outing sounds crummy on so many levels. Hope your actual Easter Day turns out better.

| March 22, 2008 @ 9:46 pm

4. clickmom said,

I went to an egg hunt today where the parents were pushing over other people’s toddlers to get their toddlers more eggs/candy than they could eat in a month. What is up people? Where is the fun?

| March 22, 2008 @ 9:49 pm

5. Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said,

That is the scariest f*cking Easter Bunny I have seen in my entire life.

I think I am going to have nightmares.

| March 22, 2008 @ 10:31 pm

6. Deezee said,

The bunny-man is terrifyingly creepy.

In my only attempt at Descanso years and years ago for the hunt, we made the fatal mistake of actually showing up on Easter. Yup, I carted my young tot out there on the wrong day (a hunt the day before? jeez.) After hearing your tale, I don’t feel so bad. :)

(and what’s with out sudden summer??? my car almost melted today.)

| March 22, 2008 @ 10:54 pm

7. Karen said,

I could barely get my 13 year old to WALK PAST the “bunny” in the mall the other day….if she got a look at this creepster…ohmy! hahahahah!!! What a horror!

My easter nightmare of the week consisted of meeting a client at our Arboretum for “dallas blooms”… on thursday…. a few blinking days before EASTER… like I did NOT warn her… but oh no.. she thinks her 9 month old will WANT to frollick among the flowers and 5 million people. So after driving there, and finding the lot full, and then moving on to the OTHER lot, with shuttle BUSES.. not little ones either.. with a line bigger than american idol audtions.. she rolls her car window down and says.. ” Um.. do you know of any other parks we might can use?” duh. DUH. you dumb BEEEEOYITCH! aaaaaaaarrrrgh.
    But I did not just say that. At all.

Im a nice photographer. really.

I love your blog; been keeping up with you since I got linked to you somehow, and have read first book, but have not yet made it to store for second book.

You rock. by the way.

| March 22, 2008 @ 11:48 pm

8. SUEB0B said,

That is the scariest bunny I had ever seen.

| March 22, 2008 @ 11:51 pm

9. andi said,

Creepy!

I saw an e-card over at someecards.com that reminded me of this the other day. It said, “The Easter Bunny still scares the living shit out of me.” It’s funny because it’s true.

| March 23, 2008 @ 1:56 pm

10. Kyddryn said,

My son saw a picture of one of those “bunnies” and asked me about it – I told him it was a man in a rabbit suit. Like Santa, he won’t ever see the real deal, just people dressed up that way to represent the spirit of the holiday…or whatever. I love my kid, but I am not standing in line for that cra..uh…crud.

I hope your Easter is a good one.

Shade and Sweetwater,
    K

| March 23, 2008 @ 2:14 pm

11. Christine said,

CrEePy Bunny.

| March 23, 2008 @ 5:00 pm

12. sarah said,

Big fat YUCK to that Easter bunny!! Makes me glad to be a Jew today, I’ll tell you that!

At least they just painted the guy’s face to look like a bunny instead of shoving a grown man into a full-on bunny costume. A friend of mine was showing me pictures of her little girl on the lap of the mall easter bunny the other day, and I kid you not, you could see the dude’s eyes peering out through the bunny’s mouth.

How many years of therapy would a kid need if they saw that?! My friend had to photoshop the guy’s face out of the rabbit’s mouth–don’t need the little one thinking the bunny had eaten some poor unsuspecting passerby. Freaky.

| March 23, 2008 @ 5:36 pm

13. Putty said,

That picture gives me a warm fuzzy all over. Just knowing my dad is finally gainfully employed is an Easter miracle!

| March 24, 2008 @ 12:24 am

14. Becky said,

I’m pretty sure I’m more creeped out by the Easter Bunny in the picture than she appears to be.

*shudder, shudder, shudder*

| March 24, 2008 @ 12:27 am

15. Lil Mouse said,

scary bunny! umm. yeah, you have to pay to pick up 5 eggs? what the heck? i say do it in your backyard!

| March 24, 2008 @ 1:41 pm

16. iheartchocolate said,

Good thing you sold your tickets! Creepy bunny, but your daughter looked so LOVELY!

| March 24, 2008 @ 1:43 pm

17. Catwoman said,

That rabbit totally gave me the willies. Love the look of horror on Elby’s face!

And is it my imagination, or is the Easter bunny giving us the middle finger?

Looking forward to cheering you on the Today Show tomorrow!

| March 24, 2008 @ 4:38 pm

18. Momo Fali said,

I have to say, I find all grown men in an Easter Bunny costume to be a bit creepy.

Believe it or not, your egg hunt sounds better than the one my kids attended yesterday afternoon. The eggs were EMPTY. Nice.

| March 24, 2008 @ 6:33 pm

Am I the only one who thinks much-maligned Easter Bunny is FEMALE? Don’t all Easter Bunnies have to wear masks ensuring kids don’t know they are human? Love the look on Elby’s face. Has she developed a healthy sense of sarcasm at her tender age or is that look one of confused boredom?

| March 25, 2008 @ 1:46 am

20. surcie said,

Poseur!

Everyone knows the EB has a furry face. She don’t look like no Peter to me.

| March 25, 2008 @ 1:37 pm

21. Rabbadingy said,

Your daughter is gorgeous. I love the hair. My 19 mos. old has light brown curly hair- I just cut her bangs because she won’t let me put anything in her hair but I have no idea what to do with it now that its getting longer. Have you had her hair cut? any recommendations? It’s perfect!

Just scanned through the first 2 hours of Today and didn’t see you. Looking forward to the 2nd segment…

| March 25, 2008 @ 4:23 pm

22. Snooty Primadona said,

Hey, I’m totally cured of the Easter Bunny now. Yikes! Deeply creepy.

Just found your blog & am instantly a fan. Anyone who doesn’t like weird Easter Bunnies & likes to talk about liquor induced behavior is an auto friend in my book.

| March 26, 2008 @ 4:27 pm

23. raisingtheboys said,

That is the CREEPIEST muthaf#%king Easter bunny I have ever seen in my life.

Seriously.

Yuck!

| March 27, 2008 @ 12:04 am

24. J-Ko said,

I loved your line about kids spending 45 minutes to find 5 eggs… very funny! Only in LA would they charge for that. Good thing my son is 6 months old and the only thing he’ll have to find is the matzoh on passover :-)
    I enjoy your blog.

PS. Saw you on the Today show… Coincidentally my friend just bought me your first book. I look forward to reading it now!

| March 27, 2008 @ 4:43 am

25. Miss Merry Sunshine said,

Dude, that is one f*cked up looking bunny. My insides went all funny…god. I learnt a long time ago egg hunts are definitely on the over-rated list. 5000 kids, shuttle parking, and always your effing kid that is standing there crying with no damn eggs in his basket. If you do manage to get an egg it’s the leftover lame ass candy from the Halloween Spooktacular.

| March 27, 2008 @ 8:15 pm

26. that girl said,

That Bunny looks like an extra from “Cats.”

| March 27, 2008 @ 9:46 pm

27. lil songbird mama said,

My 2 year old would have had nightmares for years!!
    No more Easter Bunny!! HA HA

| March 29, 2008 @ 8:40 pm

28. Kbreints said,

OMG! That is one SCARY Easter Bunny! But, your daugherty has gorgeous hair!

| April 2, 2008 @ 9:05 pm