I’m Back

Even though I’m still really tired (I’m having trouble believing there will come a day when I don’t feel wish I were Rip Van Winkle) I’d be remiss if I didn’t tell you about my quick trip to NYC.

I won’t bore you with the details of my anxiety due to “not packing until five minutes before I had to leave” or my trials and tribulations of “staying up with the babies the night before” instead I will jump to the part where I sat down on the plane in Economy and immediatey ordered a celebratory Mimosa to mark my first time alone in… ever. I was informed that champagne is “for first class passengers only” so I had to settle for a Heineken light. Then I finished the last forty or so pages of the book I was reading Easy by Emma Gold (sort of like a raunchier funnier Bridget Jones) and then bored my seatmate with stories about my crying twins for the rest of the trip. Yeah, I’ve become that person – the one you may not want to sit next to on a plane – even without the baby.

I arrived at my hotel and was checked in by a guy with a sexy Scottish accent who sounded exactly like my favorite actor John Hannah – sure some may love their John Travolta or Tom Cruise – I’m in love with “the guy from Four Weddings and a Funeral who read the poem and the one in Sliding Doors that Gwyneth Paltrow ends up with.” That was probably the highlight of the evening because I was tired…have I mentioned in the last paragraph or so my TIREDNESS?

Next morning I went to the Today Show, and then straight afterward, headed to my publishing company to harrass everyone and check my email. Many of my friends (ones I know in person and virtual – so hi if that was you) had emailed me to say congratulations and that they thought I did a good job which was so nice…but one email kind of stood out from the rest – the one that said just this: “You sound like a judgemental bitch. I feel sorry for your three daughters and I hope you’re saving up for therapy.” At least they got right to the point. Yes, some people like to hate for no apparent reason. I can’t really imagine having that strong a reaction to my interview but…bless their little heart! Judging people is something I do very well – kind of a natural talent and it’s nice to get noticed for something that comes so easy!

After a quick meal, I ran across the street and dished about the website Miss Bimbo with Neil Cavuto on Fox News. It was so fun I almost became a Republican!

And then it was back to my Economy seat for the long flight home. Knowing ahead of time that “Champagne is for closers” I waited until I scoped out the coolest seeming flight attendant and asked them to sneak me a Mimosa. Which they did! Thank you! And then for the first time ever, I slept on an airplane.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on March 27, 2008 5:01 amUncategorized25 comments

1. mommymae said,

i thought you were great. you looked great, too. you would never know about the sleepless nights.

| March 28, 2008 @ 5:41 pm

2. BabyShrink said,

So great to see you back!!Congrats on the trip and your book! I didn’t realize you went over to the “dark side” (Fox)…but came out alive! :)

— You gotta love those who flame you in private…no guts to do it in public, huh? She wouldn’t survive for a second if she did it here, with all us adoring fans.

| March 28, 2008 @ 6:09 pm

3. Catwoman said,

Huh, sorry about the crazies. I don’t think you sounded like a judgemental bitch at all, in fact I thought you were hilarious and totally laughted at the idea of Elby asking the 99 cent clerk “how much is this?”

Also, I believe that sending someone an email calling them a judgemental bitch is highly ironic when the email could easily describe the sender.

Glad you got some alone time, even if it was in economy and I’m glad you’re one of the smart people who realizes that making friends in flight attendants is the best way to get stuff. Also? Being nice to them makes them more likely to save you in an emergency (says the ex- flight attendant who barely survived her 3 year career without killing people)

| March 28, 2008 @ 6:45 pm

I watched the clip online, you did great… Have no idea how on earth the crazy came up with judgmental. Maybe she doesn’t know what that means.

Can’t wait to read the book.

| March 28, 2008 @ 6:49 pm

5. MereCat said,

You DID do great! The funny thing to me abut the judgmental comment from your unfan is that your books and interviews are kinda not that judgmental. I have read Sippy Cups and just started Naptime and I feel like you are more about “Don’t let judgmental people make you feel bad about how you raise your child.” Peculiar comment, I find. I bet she was just offended because she doesn’t know where the dollar store is much less shop there.

But back to the Today show. You looked so great! I would have melted into a slippery pool under the chair if I were doing it. You looked like you’ve done it all your life.

| March 28, 2008 @ 7:08 pm

6. Y said,

waiiiiiiitaminute. You met Neil Cavuto? DUDE. Is there a clip of that somewhere? Like, I really REALLY have to see that.

You did great, you are hilarious and anyone who isn’t a self righteous asshole would agree with me.

I love you.

| March 28, 2008 @ 7:35 pm

7. Backpacking Dad said,

My man-crush on John Hannah rivals only my man-crush on Freddie Prinze Jr. I wish I could put on that brogue at will, but I haven’t been able to since I stopped drinking with my Scottish friend.

Miss Bimbo isn’t worth anyone’s time, but I’m glad you could have fun doing an interview at Fox.

| March 28, 2008 @ 7:46 pm

8. Jen said,

I watched that Miss Bimbo report on Fox News. You did great.

| March 28, 2008 @ 8:16 pm

9. Julia said,

I DVRed the show, but not until about 30 minutes in… which must have been when you were on because two fast-forward scans of the rest of the show revealed no you.

Gotta link? Care to post it?

| March 28, 2008 @ 8:44 pm

10. Rachel said,

I watched the clip and thought you did a great job. Judgmental? Didn’t really get that vibe but my guess is maybe it was the crazy Easter bunny lady who was offended by your gentle criticism of her appearance?

| March 28, 2008 @ 9:15 pm

11. Kian said,

Did you apply Mommy Math to that email? ‘Cos you know, she probably has NO kids and even the Dog Whisperer couldn’t help her.

| March 28, 2008 @ 9:49 pm

12. katd said,

Sorry about the wacko’s email. I have to tell you that every single one of the comments after my review said “I’m buying the book” or something to that regard. I’ve gotten a few emails asking for more info, too, so hooray you! :)
    You did great on Cavuto – and it’s saying a lot that I had my tv on FOX news for even a sec!

| March 28, 2008 @ 11:55 pm

13. Felicia said,

Seriously some people just need to vent and maybe that is what she/he sees in themselves, just delete and smile! So, I ordered a bunch of your book and I am putting them in the goodybag for my daughter b-day party! not for kids of course! I thought it was a cool idea!

Hugs,
    Felicia

| March 29, 2008 @ 2:26 am

14. sarah said,

I am right there with you on the John Hannah thing. So right there…

Where can I see these clips?! I didn’t get to see it live (hanging head in shame), but I’m dying to hear what you had to say, you judgmental bitch. 😉

| March 29, 2008 @ 3:04 am

15. Christine said,

Well, ding dang…I wish I would have known you were doing the Fox show…I’d have loved to see you there, too!

Concentrate on the comment/email love…ignore the hate. Feel sorry for those who need to take time out of their day to dish nastiness…it must be draining. They can’t be happy.

| March 29, 2008 @ 5:57 am

16. RhoRho said,

Whatev! I don’t get it. Judgmental of who exactly? Some people (catty women) may find it hard to swallow that an unpretentious, cool, REAL and yes, hot(!) woman like you is successful and celebrated(and a wife and mother) – without having to fake it and sacrifice herSELF. Hope that doesn’t sound stalkerish. I don’t care, you’re Queen of the cool moms. Everybody (who matters, right?) hearts U.
    Take that, HATAS!
    Oh and dontcha think you’re ready for business class at least?!:)

| March 29, 2008 @ 4:43 pm

17. carrie said,

You were great! I’ve been meaning to stop by and tell you . . . but just now found the time.

Thanks for the mimosa tip too, I may need one when we fly with kids! Eeeeeeeek!

| March 29, 2008 @ 10:48 pm

18. Becky said,

Dude, you looked sexxy as hell. At almost one year postpartum WITH A SINGLETON, I still don’t look half as good as you.

If I didn’t like you so damn much, I’d totally hate you.

| March 30, 2008 @ 12:12 am

19. CP3Kids said,

You look(ed) amazing! Bitch (said with love).

I thought I was the only one on earth who had seen and loved Sliding Doors. Yeah- now there’s 2 of us. I totally get the John Hannah crush.

| March 30, 2008 @ 7:07 am

20. surcie said,

Yeah, I think the meanie was that lady in bunny-face.

| March 30, 2008 @ 6:06 pm

21. RhoRho said,

Also – I came across the Busta blog piece and thought it was funny you told the biznitch (or diznick?)what’s up. S/he didn’t get the 99 cent thing in the dolla store?
    Busta, you trippin?
    From the fabulous en-vogue 35 year-old (exactly) stay at home mom.

| March 31, 2008 @ 4:59 am

22. Tai Chi Mamma said,

Well, I’d say screw that judgemental yahoo, but she wouldn’t even deserve that! (But my daughter IS majoring in psychology, if any of your 3 lovelies ever should need it!!!)
    And I know how hard spring break has been on you and the rest of our families…..I feel a little guilty, if that helps any!! See you soon!! Thanks for popping in.

| March 31, 2008 @ 4:22 pm

23. RhoRho said,

Missing your posts! I know, like you have nothing else to do. :)Still waiting on Naptime to come to my door, but starting Sippy Cups…

| April 2, 2008 @ 4:56 pm

24. Cheryl Lage said,

You are Fabby McFabfab..
    Nasty emailers are the modern incarnation of those who clandestinely (and in tough to violate solitude) wrote nasty fibs on the interior of high-school girl’s bathroom stalls.

Focus on the love…of which we all have plenty for you!

| April 2, 2008 @ 5:55 pm

25. help4newmoms said,

You were hysterical on the Today Show and it’s always sooo refreshing to hear a mom be HONEST about Motherhood. Don’t worry about the crazy people, remember, WE outnumber THEM!

| April 4, 2008 @ 6:34 pm