Shots and a Sad Story

So, I took my two tots back to the doctor today and they are doing fine except that they were given three shots each and have been very upset all day. It’s funny how with my first I was inconsolable when she got her first shots. In fact, I couldn’t bear it for most of the first year. But with these guys I take it in stride. I knew they’d cry a minute and then be okay. But they have been sick and now they are in pain from the shots so the whole thing just sucks. But…then I received an email from a reader of this blog and she had this to say:

I have a friend back in my hometown of Plattsburgh, New York, who has a 7-month old adorable little guy named Alek, and her husband is suffering from a very painful disease called Scleroderma. He was just accepted into a study at Duke University that should hopefully repair some damage and prolong his life. From one family to another – reading their story makes us all realize that all-nighters and sore nipples and pissed off 2-year-olds are NOTHING compared to what this poor family is enduring!

I checked out their story and, damn, it does put life in perspective. A little sleep deprivation is sounding like a day at Knott’s Berry Farm compared to what they’re dealing with. They are seeking donations so if you would like to read their story and see if you can help the blog is thedupreyfamily.blogspot.com.

So tonight in their honor I will try to look forward to not sleeping. Plus, Grey’s Anatomy is new tonight I think. I hope. I pray.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on January 25, 2008 2:34 amUncategorized10 comments

1. MereCat said,

You are so sweet. We all need to check in once in awhile and count our blessings. It really does make you feel better. Sorry to say, though, Grey’s was a rerun.

| January 25, 2008 @ 4:02 am

2. carrie said,

Perspective is a good thing to have.

Unfortunately no amount of perspective will make me happy that Grey’s is a repeat tonight. *sigh*

| January 25, 2008 @ 5:17 am

3. Becky said,

Dude, yeah, perspective is a good thing.

Does it make me sound like a total ass when I tell you that I’ve been more inconsolable when my SECOND son gets his shots? Way to fuel the flames of sibling rivalry.

| January 25, 2008 @ 5:15 pm

4. just4ofus said,

It does put things into perspective.
    i try to do that for myself about everything when I am starting to be down or angry.
    Oh and Grey’s Anatomy, not new.
    The Writers’ Srike is KILLING me.
    But I support em’

| January 25, 2008 @ 6:49 pm

5. Lynsey said,

Perspective is good to have but sometimes, yes, one person’s situation is awful, and could be worse then yours. And it does make us be thankful for what we have and we do throw out good vibes to the other family. But hun, honestly, somedays in our life really suck. It’s ok to be thankful for what you have and it’s ok to admit and say that things suck somedays. Just cause one person’s problem is worse doesn’t mean that you don’t have your bad days too and it’s ok to have them. I pray that his suffering gets better, also pray that in the midst of angry 2 year olds, sore nipples, and all nighters you find enjoyments. It’s ok either way.

Lyns

| January 25, 2008 @ 6:50 pm

6. Catwoman said,

Your poor itty bitty babies…

Unfortunately, there is no freaking new episodes of anything (except for the horrid Moment of Truth show *shudder*) thanks to the writers strike. Don’t you know people? Can’t you make Grey’s Anatomy come back on at least.

I mean, it’s not like you’re busy right now or anything.

| January 25, 2008 @ 8:12 pm

7. Surcie said,

Yes, I do think it’s important to keep perspective. But I’m with Lynsey. No matter what you’re going through, there will always be someone out there who is suffering more. That doesn’t mean you don’t have a right to feel utterly miserable sometimes. And having moments or even entire days of feeling miserable does not mean you’re ungrateful. Believing that you must be ungrateful if you’re not blissed out just heaps on the guilt. (Like you don’t already have enough of THAT as a mother. . .)

What, no mention of Celebrity Rehab?

| January 26, 2008 @ 4:06 am

8. Christine said,

The sad thing is I live my life venting about the shit I deal with while simultaneously feeling guilty that I said them out loud, because I know I have it good.

And I can’t watch those medical dramas…as a former physician (well, med school grad) they both freak me out due to their realism and make me want to blow up my TV because they are so fake.

| January 27, 2008 @ 5:00 am

9. Momo Fali said,

My son has had a lot of health problems, and I do my fair share of bitching about it. But, nothing sets me straight better than a trip to the local pediatric hospital. Things could always be worse for us.

| January 27, 2008 @ 11:33 pm

10. gmcountrymama said,

I agree with Surcie and Lynsey. Pain and suffering is relative. We all have problems and it can be healthy and helpful to talk or write about them.
    I work with sick people all the time. But just because they are suffering more than me, at the time, doesn’t make my problems go away.

| January 28, 2008 @ 9:42 pm