I Pulled An All Nighter!

Excuse me if I seem a little wired in this post — a friend I was IMing with asked me if I was on coke because I was typing so fast (wiredness aside I am a pretty fast typist from my days as an office temp – and speaking of office temping, why do they always ask the temp to do the filing? Where’s the incentive to file anything in the right place if you’ll never have to find it again?).

Anyway, where the hell was I?

I haven’t slept (or sleeped as Elby would say) in a long long time. Both the preemies have colds and I, in a valiant attempt to repay my husband for taking some overnights, stayed up all night going from baby to baby in a failed attempt to soothe, feed, keep upright and repeat. The bad news is, I’m completely delirious from lack of shut eye. The good news is I cleaned off our TiVo. Housewives of Orange County finale? Check. American Idol, House, done and done! An old Backyardigans? Guilty.

I brought them to the doctor this morning because Sadie is still only five pounds (although she has already outgrown a couple of preemie outfits) and hadn’t eaten since 11 p.m. She did me a solid by peeing all over the exam table just to prove that she’s not dehydrated. Which was nice. Meanwhile fattie Mattie continues to be double the size of Sadie and will not let something as trivial as a completely congested head stop her from stuffing her face. A girl right after my own heart. I’m going to have to get her an “I Heart Formula” onsie. So they are fine but going back tomorrow to be weighed because I’m incredibly neurotic and “because you can never see newborns too often” says the doctor. Dr. Peter Shulman- for anyone Googling. It’s normal to worship your pediatrician like a God right?

And now, I must pick E up from school.

I’m thinking maybe the doubly blessed part kicks in in year two. I thank God that American Idol is on again tonight because sleep is nowhere on the horizon.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on January 23, 2008 10:52 pmUncategorized9 comments

1. putty said,

The crazy thing is, I read that post as if I was on coke. But I’m not on coke. I’m really not.

| January 23, 2008 @ 11:37 pm

2. help4newmoms said,

Sounds like you’ve got a great pediatrician – I love that – “You can’t see a newborn too often.” Where did you find this guy?

| January 23, 2008 @ 11:41 pm

3. MereCat said,

You will sleep again one day. Meanwhile, do anything you can do to catch some here and there. Some is better than none. Nice to have a getle soul for a pediatrician. It’s jsut as important for moms as it is for the babes.

| January 24, 2008 @ 12:50 am

4. twinmom said,

Ummm.. I have 2year old identical twin girls so I hope the “doubly blessed” thing kicks in also. Love your blog and your first book. I’m awaiting your new book and can’t wait to read it. thanks for saying it like it is and not sugar coatin’ it honey! Motherhood is a wild ride and when you have twins its even crazier. I think more twin moms should write books about it but we just don’t have time! Anyhoo… thanks for making me laugh…. sometimes your blog is the only thing that cracks me up in a day.

| January 24, 2008 @ 6:04 am

5. gingajoy said,

wha? WHA???? I go underground for a few months or so to move country, I come back, and you’ve gone and got TWINS??? last thing I knew you were having cocktails on playdates — well I guess that’s a lesson for us ALL then! (heh!) congratulations!!!

One good thing I;ve heard about two is that after a year they entertain one another very nicely.

| January 24, 2008 @ 11:49 am

6. A Mom Two Boys said,

OOOhhh…I was so obsessed with my kids weight when they were newborns. I bought a scale (costco.com. Used it religiously!
    And, I love my Pediatrician. Totally hot. Totally. HOT.
    Get some sleep, although you’re still totally entertaining without.
    I’m willing to make a trip to LA to babysit so you can nap. After it stops raining. This is ridiculous.

| January 24, 2008 @ 3:18 pm

7. Cheryl Lage said,

That “twinvincible” thing we talked about? Girl, you hit it on the head with that cleaning frenzy…cheaper (and more legal) than coke. The “doubly-blessed” part in its earliest incarnations comes in 5 minute synchronous sleep increments…get thee to a bed whenever it happens. 😉

Keep your humor, your hope and by all means, your pediatrician.
    (We did weight checks with our 3% curve rider every other day seemingly for weeks…it’ll ease.)

Sending sleep vibes to all the Wilder-Taylor ladies today. (Get some Elvis blackout curtains and day is as good as night…)

| January 24, 2008 @ 3:54 pm

8. Becky said,

God Bless American Idol. It’s what’s kept me sane this week as well (sad as that may sound).

| January 24, 2008 @ 4:34 pm

Could we have some pictures of your beautiful little ones? Nothing like a little lovin from strangers to warm you sleep deprived heart????
    Here’s hoping you get a stretch a few hours tonight to recharge.

| January 24, 2008 @ 8:17 pm