Post Partum Madness and Movies

First off, can I just tell you that I just love everyone who reads my blog? I know I don’t always go comment on yours but that doesn’t mean I don’t go look or appreciate that you take the time to comment and be supportive or funny or both.

So, I have to tell you that if you are a mom who has struggled with post partum and you’re expecting number two, ZOLOFT BABY! I know some people are against medication for one reason or another but I feel like a different person with this baby and I started the Zoloft in the hospital after they were born. I realize some of you will say, “but it gets in your breast milk” and to that I say that I did the research and it’s a very small amount that gets in there. It’s much worse if you’re actually pregnant (which I stopped all drugs except heroin completely while I was incubating the twins). Of course, no matter what, having babies causes anxiety and if you’re anything like me, it can make you feel like you will never have your life back and that is an anxiety provoking feeling no matter what. But at least I’m not crying every five minutes and thinking about driving to CVS and never coming back. My post partum was really bad the first time and I didn’t have friends with babies or a support system to tell me that something was wrong and I should see a doctor. When I did see my OB (not the one who delivered the twins but an evil man who I will call Dr. Pine, because that is his name), he brushed me off with a “yeah, well you had a baby, it’s a big responsibility. You’ll be fine.” If by fine he meant crying every second, not sleeping or eating and thinking my husband was going to leave me was fine then he was right. I was fine.

Anyway, segue time, speaking of crying, I’m going to give you a list of movies that make me cry every single time I watch them and then I want you to leave a comment and add one of yours. And using Terms of Endearment is not fair. We’re talking about movies you wouldn’t necessarily expect would make you cry or cheesy movies that you are embarrassed even make you cry.

Here goes my list:

I’ll Do Anything – this little James Brooks gem leaves me sobbing everytime toward the end when the little girl has to make herself cry for the acting part. If you haven’t seen it you really should.

When a Man Loves a Woman – This is the one with Meg Ryan before she made her lips into trouts. It really is her best acting work ever. She plays an alcoholic and the movie is real and not like some stupid Sandra Bullock shitfest like 28 days. This movie is like the aftermath of getting sober and how fucked up your life can feel when you don’t have booze as a crutch. Plus, Andy Garcia is in it. If you have seen it then you will know the parts that make me cry and there are about three of them that never fail. But I don’t want to spoil it so watch it and then we’ll talk.

Dead Poet’s Society – Okay, Come on, Carpe Diem? I know I know but every single solitary time Ethan Hawk gets on that desk and says, “Oh Captain My Captain” I’m inconsolable for about four hours. What is that? Plus, Robin Williams actually keeping his antics under control. I mean, it’s no Patch Adams but…

Set It Off – This is a movie with Jada Pinkett, Queen Latifah, Vivica Fox and some chick I can’t remember. Every single time I watch it I cry when Queen Latifah…well, you’ll see. It’s so good. Watch it with some girlfriends.

Schindler’s List – I’m kidding. It’s a comedy right?

Thelma and Louise – I’m in a heap at the end. I love this movie.

Love and Basketball – I’m a sucker for a suprise ending.

The Professional – Oh dear God how I cry at the end of that one. So sad and so fucking excellent.

Georgia – This is just one of my very favorite movies and some of Jennifer Jason Leighs best work. I can’t remember if it make me cry but I thought I throw it in. Cause why not?

That’s all I can think of for now but I’ll keep trying. Send yours!!!

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on December 31, 2007 6:28 pmUncategorized66 comments

1. Becky said,

Postpartum depression hits weirdly, doesn’t it? To me, it’s always been like a trainwreck that’s all *bam* and you’re down on the ground wondering how much it would fuck your kids up if they walked in on you dead but you’re too tired to do it anyway so you give up.

Charming, eh?

Glad you’re getting the meds you need and fuck the haters (I have to tell you it’s so nice to meet a blog that I can swear on without wondering who I have offended).

The movies that make me cry are:

Big Fish
    Life Is Beautiful

I’m not much of a weeper, so this is pretty much it.

You rule, dude. You really do.

| December 31, 2007 @ 7:53 pm

2. JMC said,

I used to NEVER cry at movies, now pretty much any of them can make me well up. But one I remember from when I was younger and didn’t cry at movies was “My Girl.” I was sobbing uncontrollably at the end, but to my relief so was everyone else as they were leaving the theater.

| December 31, 2007 @ 8:02 pm

3. Catwoman said,

I’m so glad both of the babies are home. And I hope Tom Cruise reads your blog and knows that he’s a short asshole with a small you-know-what. Glad you’re feeling great.

As far as movies that make me cry, I bawled my eyes out during the Pursuit of Happyness. Holy crap that’s good stuff.

Also, I know this is an easy one, but Steel Magnolias. I start sobbing as soon as Julia Roberts begins to show symptoms.

Oh, and Old Yeller.

And yesterday? I’m ashamed to say that I watched A Walk To Remember with Mandy Moore and I actually cried. Would you mind mailing me a zoloft, I obviously need help.

| December 31, 2007 @ 8:06 pm

4. Leah said,

I’ll excuse your omission of Steel Magnolias since you went and had a few extra babies. My singleton newborn is kicking my butt; I can’t imagine two. Congratulations on your double blessing!

| December 31, 2007 @ 8:06 pm

5. Diana said,

Did you ever see Imitation of Life? 4-Kleenex.

| December 31, 2007 @ 8:12 pm

6. Bri said,

Ok, this is sort of embarrassing, but I love popcorn action movies and the scene near the end of Armageddon when Ben Afleck cries as Bruce Willis stays behind makes me cry every time. I. am. such. a dork.

| December 31, 2007 @ 8:17 pm

7. Becky said,

Congrats on the babies!

Mine is pretty obvious: Steel Magnolias. I’m not much of a crier usually, although I’m pregnant so all bets are off right now. Oh, and I just read the rest of the comments, and Armageddon does it to me too. *sigh* I’ve become a sap.

| December 31, 2007 @ 8:25 pm

8. SUEB0B said,

Home for the Holidays…the postscript about how life is OMG it is making me cry just thinking about it.

I did not cry at Terms of Endearment. I’m a monster, I know. But I hated the stupid ass Debra Winger character so much that when she died I didn’t even feel a twinge. I went home and told my friends that it was a laff riot, and I meant it. I don’t think they have ever forgiven me.

| December 31, 2007 @ 8:33 pm

9. Stefanie said,

Okay Suebob, you are a monster for sure! How could you not cry when she tells her angry son, “I know you love me.”? Also, Steel Magnolias was too on the nose so I didn’t include it but I am loving your suggestions. The dorkier the better!!

| December 31, 2007 @ 8:37 pm

10. Rattling The Kettle said,

Do you know about the drug database at LactMed? It’s a great resource for nursing moms; the wife and I relied on it whenever a doctor had no clue (which is surprisingly often). In any event, Zoloft is described as the “preferred anti-depressant during breastfeeding”. Happy new year!

| December 31, 2007 @ 8:44 pm

11. sarah said,

I’m with you; I will be popping Wellbutrin the second the morphine wears off from the c-section.

Just watched A League of Their Own yesterday and was a puddle by the end; between the girl receiving the telegram that her husband was killed in the war, and the actual women of the baseball teams coming in at the end for the dedication of the museum, I didn’t stand a chance.

That being said, I have been known to cry at Hallmark commercials…

| December 31, 2007 @ 8:44 pm

Hey Stef!

It’s Cyn from the old days. Congratulations on bringing the babies home and taking meds! Post-partum hit me hard too – not to mention that 911 happened when Lucy was just one month old. Luckily I had a great Dr. who said, “Guess what?” You don’t have to make the decision – I’m making it for you. Here’s your prescription.”

Movies – guilty pleasure – While You Were Sleeping and Amelie (Sp?) A french flick with subtitles.

| December 31, 2007 @ 8:59 pm

13. Lynsey said,

Oh screw all the people that say not to take medication! I didn’t have post pardum depression but I’ve known someone who has. Plus my ex-sis-in-law is bi-polar…seriously anyone who is not in touch hormonally needs to take medication!!!! I would hate to have to backhand someone for something not their fault! :)

Ok so I watched ‘I Am Legend’ the other day and I felt like an idiot when my eyes teared up! :) Seriously…it’s a zombie movie. Or another one is ‘King Kong’ OMG I’m a whimp!

Lyns

| December 31, 2007 @ 9:08 pm

14. KimLookAlike said,

Love your blog and glad the babes are doing well and that you are on meds.

Movies that make me cry…. hmmm…

It’s a Wonderful Life
    My Girl
    Life is Beautiful
    (not a movie) but all of the OnStar commercials. Damn the brilliant ad exec that dreamed up using real distress calls…

That is all for now but I am sure I will think of more later…

| December 31, 2007 @ 9:15 pm

15. pootandcubby said,

Screw the haters – take the drugs! People who poo poo it haven’t gone through PPD.

And movies that make me cry? Hmm, pretty much everything. All of the ones that everyone else mentioned, but the saddest movie I’ve ever seen was Turtles Can Fly. Seriously, it scarred me for life. I also bawled my face off during Tsotsi and Pan’s Labyrinth.

-andi

| December 31, 2007 @ 9:43 pm

16. PDX Mama said,

Good for you. It’s a wonderful thing you’ve found something that can manage the crazies. Your kids benefit too, which is a lovely thing all around.

“Oh captain, my captain” – that gives me chills just thinking about him standing up there and the odd camera angle. I was so obssessed w/that movie when I was a tweeny bopper.

I’m a big pansy, so I cry at most anything. But here are some biggies for me:

Rudy – that moment when he’s on the bench in front of the stream or whatever and he finds out he’s FINALLY been accepted?

Steel Magnolias – yes, that moment at that funeral gets me every time and every time, that friggin’ Dukakas(sp???) woman gets me laughing

It’s a Wonderful Life

Shawshank Redemption – beautiful ending, gets me every time

Meet the Robinsons – it’s animated for goodness sakes, I’m not sure that I’ve ever cried at a cartoon (I glanced over at hubby at the end and he was tearing up too). VERY good family movie.

| December 31, 2007 @ 10:28 pm

17. Mrs. Chicken said,

Dude, you CANNOT go wrong with a little “Coal Miner’s Daughter.”

| December 31, 2007 @ 11:37 pm

18. sparklykatt said,

“crying every second, not sleeping or eating and thinking my husband was going to leave me”

Yup, pretty much exactly how I’ve been feeling the last couple weeks. Add to that jealousy of my older son for getting my husbands attention and feeling like everyone would be better off if I left for a while. Thankfully I’m now ten days into Zoloft and feeling a little better.

Congrats on those beautiful girls of yours! So glad to know everything has worked out and they are home with you now.

| January 1, 2008 @ 12:56 am

19. Candace said,

love all those movies. love that you posted about zoloft. love how honest you are. love that I only have one word to sum up how I’m feeling right now: Cymbalta. I’ve got a fresh prescription in my hot little hand. new year, new me!!

| January 1, 2008 @ 1:41 am

20. Lil Mouse said,

glad you are doing better. so do you EVER get your life back? we’re considering becoming parents but my hubby doesnt seem to get that ‘life’ for me at least, wont ever be the same, take tonight, i’ve hinted and flat out said i wanted to go out tonight, even looked up a place right down the road and said let’s go! umm yeah so why are we sitting here watching to catch a predator, oh yeah, he doesnt seem to want to get off his butt and go – i dont get it, when we have kids, we will have to find a sitter, worry all night about them, etc. why cant we go out NOW and have no cares? i want to kick his ass right now..

i digress– i’ve never seen dead poets society, but i’ve wanted to, never seen it on tv to watch available either. that’s just wrong, everything else in god’s green earth is on there time and again!

| January 1, 2008 @ 2:20 am

21. fold my laundry please said,

Okay. “Return to Me” with Minnie Driver and David Duchovny. The part in the beginning after he and his wife were in the car accident and he finally walks in the door at home, his fancy clothes all a mess, and just crumples to the floor in heart wrenching sobs…I’m crying again just thinking about it!

And this one is a tv show, not a movie, but the Christmas episode of the Simpsons where Bart gets some kind of super dog and gives his old dog, Santa’s Little Helper, away, calling him names and being generally mean…that one gets me every time. Oh, and the episode of Futurama where Fry has the opportunity to clone his old pet dog and bring him back to life but decides not to because he thinks the dog had a long full and happy life after he left and then we get to see that the dog spent the next 12 years of his life waiting pitifully every day for Fry to come back home! Matt Groening, you know how to touch a girl’s heart, you do!

| January 1, 2008 @ 2:46 am

22. mommymae said,

i hope you feel better with the meds. everyone works differently. when i had my girls (who are now 5) i had only 1 night a week after they were born when i cried for about 2 minutes. i guess i let it out like that. when i had the boy i was fine.

ummm…i cry at every movie even if i’m not supposed to. harry potter (especially the last 2,) we are marshall (my dad grew up in huntington and went to marshall,) crash, i couldn’t move for 15 minutes after schindler’s list.

i hope are all doing well and you have a great 2008

| January 1, 2008 @ 3:25 am

23. Surcie said,

We watched “Once” tonight and I cried. But it’s not really a sad film. It’s a sweet one. And the music is wonderful.

I asked my husband which movie makes him cry and he answered without taking a breath: “Mr. Holland’s Opus.” Have mercy, it’s hilarious to me that he has seen that film 4,200 times and is a runny-nosed mess every single time.

| January 1, 2008 @ 4:38 am

24. jeanie said,

Oh ain’t motherhood a target painted on us for the “thems” to aim at!

I didn’t go the meds route – I went the not sleeping, not eating, not functioning and screaming mess route and I can probably assure you that some medication (oh, and a better partner) would have been a solution that should have popped up.

I cry at everything – hell, I cry at ads. Just tick all the boxes on all the movies you expect a girl to cry to plus over half of those that you would go “what the” to the news.

Cried at a TV movie yesterday. I can even spot the tearjerker moves a mile off and still spout it.

Have a great 2008, however!

| January 1, 2008 @ 5:03 am

My Life Michael Keaton
    When my dh and I were first dating, it came on and I said I wanted to watch it, he was yeah whatever, but towards the end he was crying — and I fell in love! We are now almost 12 yrs married with 3 boys that cry when Jesse sings her song in Toy Story 2.
    Christine

| January 1, 2008 @ 5:53 am

26. fold my laundry please said,

By the way…

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

| January 1, 2008 @ 10:00 am

27. Kyddryn said,

Practical Magic – “Your blood, my blood, our blood!” and the bit about growing old together always make me a little weepy, especially when I watch with my dearest friend, a woman I call the sister of my heart.

The Lake House, when they dance outside the house in town in the dark (with the party going on INSIDE), and she has no idea who he is, but he knows who SHE is. If you’ve seen it, you know the scene. Also, at the end, when…well, you either know or you don’t.

When I was about ninety months pregnant and ready to pop, Spirit, Stallion of the Cimarron made me weepy. I blame hormones.

Many of the other movies mentioned here. I am SUCH a girl! But never when anyone can see.

There are more, but you only have so much space, and my son is clamoring for attention.

Thanks for sharing the good, the bad, and the downright ugly – depression stinks, whatever caused it, and speaking as one who’s wrestled with it since childhood (in addition to the post-partem festivities)- screw Doctor I-can’t-be-bothered-because-I’m-an-ass and his attitude. And to blazes with anyone who censures you for taking the medication necessary to get through the day without damaging yourself or your beloved family.

Shade and Sweetwater,
    K

| January 1, 2008 @ 3:51 pm

28. Laura Mallard said,

Postpartum stuff sucks! Good for you for doing what you need to do to be healthy for your beautiful family. Tom Cruise can suck it!

Ok, on to movies that make me a quivering ball:

Life is Beautiful- just too amazing for words.

She’s Having a Baby- I can’t listen to Kate Bush without having the full body sob. Oh, and the end? That, my dear, was the delivery of my last son but with more frantic nurses and Drs. running down the hall to the OR and cord prolapse. Scary as shit AND I didn’t get any Kevin Bacon action.

Say Anything- Yeah, John Cusack and his boombox are cheesy. Wanna fight about it?

Chasing Amy- The scene in the rain, the shared moment at the end. *sigh*

Steel Magnolias. Nuff Said.

Where the Heart Is- when Ashley Judd is telling her story outside of the house? Angry tears then my friend.

My Girl- Veda loses it and so do I.

The Notebook- every woman should have a Noah.

The Family Stone- perfection at the end.

Mr. Holland’s Opus- I still cry when I hear “Beautiful Boy”, especially now that I have two boys.

Ok, I am a big puss and cry at everything. Oh well. Hmm, maybe I should look into getting some meds.

| January 1, 2008 @ 4:41 pm

29. Stefanie said,

I had forgotten about A League of Their Own. I cry like a baby when the real women come out. And I’ve almost had to be hospitalize from the Kate Bush part of She’s Having a Baby. That movie was on just before I had my twins and you can imagine the amount of calming down I had to do afterward.

I’m loving all the suggestions of movies I haven’t seen.

| January 1, 2008 @ 5:24 pm

30. Jen said,

Hey, I think I saw Dr Pine’s evil twin after my daughter was born. Gotta love that bedside manner!

Movies that make me cry and cry: The Joy Luck Club, Pocahonats and Love Actually. Yes, I am a huge sap.

| January 1, 2008 @ 5:35 pm

31. Jen said,

Oh, and Life is Beautiful. I cry just thinking about that movie.

| January 1, 2008 @ 5:36 pm

32. MereCat said,

Sorry about the ppd, but I’m glad you’ve got the drugs. It took me six weeks of suffering from ppd before I even said anything to my doc. Then I found wellbutrin! Ahh peace.

Ok, so in addition to all the other movies others have said, I also cry several times during Forest Gump. I just feel so bad for him, and so happy for him all at the same time that I think the emotional collision just causes tears.

| January 1, 2008 @ 5:37 pm

33. Stefanie said,

I’ve got to agree about Love Actually! I lurve that movie. I need to own it. And I always sob at Joy Luck Club too. During the mother daughter conversation in the hair salon.

| January 1, 2008 @ 5:44 pm

34. anna said,

Many of the movies that always make me cry have been mentioned, but I bet nobody else will say this one: Elf. At the end when they’re all singing and the dad starts to sing and the Christmas Spirit meter goes way over, I tear up every time. Yes, I am a huge dork!

| January 1, 2008 @ 6:44 pm

35. Queen of the Run-on Sentence said,

Postpartum….ugh. I cried when I got home from the hospital because I didnt like the color of my carpet. Baby blues my ass.

As for the crying at movies:
    Most definately She’s Having a Baby
    The Color Purple
    Rudy
    Big Fish

I even lose it on commercials like the one where the dad and son are watching the sunset and after the kid turns to his dad and says “Do it again.”

| January 1, 2008 @ 6:52 pm

36. tiggrrl72077 said,

Here’s my list:

Return to me – When David Duchvany falls to the floor and says “She’s not comg home Mel”

Armageddan – I’ve only seen it once and that was in the movie theater but I cried so hard at the end that I couldn’t stand up for 10 mins

Where the Heart is
    Steel Magnolias
    Big Fish
    Practical Magic
    The Lion King – when Mufasa dies
    Recently the scene in Independence Day when the crazy dad guy goes into the alien ship made me cry (it could be because I am 20wks pg with twins)YEAH extra hormones!

| January 1, 2008 @ 8:40 pm

37. amanda said,

Happy New Year!

Little Women – I always cry when Beth dies.

Beaches – who doesn’t cry over this one.

Cold Mountain…

I could go on and on. Pretty much anything that is slightly sad. Then there’s always The Money Pit -I cry from laughing so hard when Tom Hanks screams out, “YOU WHORE!” haha!

| January 1, 2008 @ 8:49 pm

38. Deezee said,

Glad Dead Poets still shows up out there. One of the best jobs of my life, and Robin did rein it in for the most part, but you should see the outtakes where Peter Weir just let the camera roll for Robin to let it all out…

And congrats on the babymaking and birthing and all. Your sense of humor around all brings a consistent smile my way.

| January 1, 2008 @ 9:06 pm

39. Cheryl Lage said,

Oh Stef, I am having a very vivid fantasy sequence in my mind of you and Tom Cruise on the Today show set (maybe when your next book comes out? 😉 ) and you call him glib. Please do it, please. :)

On the movies that make a mama cry tip: Cinema Paradiso EVERY single time…when he watches the reel of all the spliced together kisses? Cannot even SEE through the tears.

It’s a Wonderful Life, sure. Just did a lame attempt at a sob-suppression on that one last week.

And most recently, also not exactly a movie, but when the Grinch’s heart expands the three sizes to sproing the measuring/magnification device? Just call me Little Cindy Boo-Hoo Hoo…gets me every viewing.

So glad all are home, happy and for the advance of modern meds. It’s why people go to school in the first place, ain’t it? To better people’s lives?
    (Please book that Today gig….)

| January 1, 2008 @ 10:18 pm

40. Am I doing okay? said,

Okay – Forrest Gump.

I knew something was up when I starting weeping over his Jenny love.

And – My Life Without Me. OMG – I can’t believe I was able to watch it the first time when my girls were babies. Now that they are older, it would just be sadistic.

I finally saw Knocked Up – and laughed so hard I cried. Does that count?

| January 1, 2008 @ 11:38 pm

41. Ali said,

oh my god…when a man loves a woman KILLS me…

when Jessie says “because Casey will always be your daughter” and Andy Garcia says that she is his daughter…i am in hysterics. always.

| January 2, 2008 @ 12:57 am

42. MomHOP said,

Dear Stefanie,
    Thank you SO much for letting HOP and me visit and hold your babies. They are so precious!

The newest movies to make me cry: The Brave One with Jodie Foster – I was sobbing at the end because of Foster’s portrayal of her character who became such the opposite of what she was at the beginning of the movie, great actress. And Evening, although not the obvious Mom dying part. There were two parts that took me by surprise with such heartbreak and joy. Much much better than the book!

MomHOP

| January 2, 2008 @ 1:00 am

43. just4ofus said,

I had Post Partum depression after my son was born.
    I had no friends with kids or anyone to talk to or recongize what it was. All I knew was I was crazy and my husband sat in his car returning home from work each day wondering what wife would be there that day… angry, sad or just plain crazy?
    So six months into it, I was put on Prozac for 5 months. It worked. I also stopped nursing b/c it just added to the depression. I wanted my body back.
    With my daughter, I was ready to take pills, but luckily didn’t need it.
    Perhaps at least with your first child it should be manditory to start medication… so many people I talked to were in the same boat.. and didn’t know it.
    And on and on and on.
    Movies to cry over..
    Steel Magnolias
    ET.. really.. I cry.
    I am sure there are more…

| January 2, 2008 @ 1:09 am

44. carrie said,

“She’s Having a Baby”

I cry like a little baby, like the uncontrolled kind. It’s pathetic.

And — kudos for you figuring out what you need to feel better. You gotta do what is right for you, and nobody should judge.

| January 2, 2008 @ 9:16 am

45. Amy said,

Beaches. Of course. Also, Because of Winn Dixie when Dave Matthews sings to the little girl that she is like a butterfly. No, really.

| January 2, 2008 @ 2:29 pm

46. Jaime said,

*LOVE* “love and basketball”!!! I always liked “center stage”, too, as cheesy as it was.
    Thank you, too, for being so honest about the Zoloft. So often I would hear women refuse any kind of help (including meds) for PPD, because they thought it was the “wrong” thing to do, or “harmful”……but taking care of YOURSELF is the most important thing! Yeah meds! :)

| January 2, 2008 @ 2:59 pm

47. Elise said,

Okay, I know this puts me in like, The Most Obvious Ever category, but Love Actually makes me cry every single time.

Whew. It’s out there now. I can relax 😉

| January 2, 2008 @ 4:21 pm

48. Sherry said,

Jersey Girl (Yes, I really watched it)
    Titanic

LOVE your blog, you’re hilarious!

| January 2, 2008 @ 5:04 pm

49. B said,

I bawled my eyes out when I watched Reign Over Me a few weeks ago when I was on bed rest with number three. It wasn’t fair. Adam Sandler?! Plus him and Don Cheedle are all happy silly on the cover. But that shit was depressing.

| January 2, 2008 @ 6:04 pm

50. Vicky said,

Congrats on bringing the babies home!
    I cry during Click, with Adam Sandler. Weird, I know.

| January 2, 2008 @ 6:16 pm

51. Charise said,

the last scene @ the end of The Notebook.

| January 2, 2008 @ 6:49 pm

52. Dawn said,

I know this will sound like I have a heart of stone, and I really don’t, but movies usually don’t make me cry. OK, I cried during E.T. when I was 12, but that was about it. And I am normally an emotional person! What is wrong with me? Sometimes I even TRY to cry during a sad scene and the tears just don’t come.

I think the Zoloft idea is great. I didn’t get PPD, but I got a very bad case of Post Partum Anxiety. It sucked. I actually had several panic attacks, and they had to give me Xanax and Lexapro. Breastfeeding didn’t work out for me, so I eas pumping, but had to stop because Xanax is not safe in the milk. Not sure about Lexapro. (Many other things in my life contributed to the anxiety, so hopefully I won’t get it next time around. If I do, I am going with Zoloft because I want to nurse for as long as possible.)

| January 2, 2008 @ 7:00 pm

53. Erica said,

I watched the last part of Legends of the Fall once while pregnant and bawled and bawled and bawled.

I felt lucky in that there was a lot of discussion about PPD when I had my son. I don’t know how many times they asked me how I was doing, reminded me to let them know if I needed help, let my spouse know to watch for it, etc. While I understand worrying a bit about what goes in the breastmilk for sure, I also know mommy needs sanity too. Not enough breastmilk to make up for crazy mommy.

| January 2, 2008 @ 9:42 pm

54. Dawn said,

A movie that gets me every time:

Bridges of Madison County.

| January 3, 2008 @ 1:44 am

55. pippa said,

Prelude to a Kiss, hands down.

And what everyone else said about the meds. Which is worse for baby? The little bit of meds that creep into breast milk or a bat shit mama?

| January 3, 2008 @ 3:03 am

56. Putty said,

You forgot “You Can Count on Me”. Do you remember what we always said to each other as kids. Of course I remember.

| January 4, 2008 @ 12:14 am

57. Becca said,

I cried during the end of Star Wars III… I’m not kidding. Deaths really get to me. This one dual-funeral scene in Across the Universe had me absolutely bawling.

| January 4, 2008 @ 6:14 am

58. Sarah said,

I actually got out to a first run movie this year and it was just last week. Definitely one to take boxes of kleenex to… “P.S. I Love You”. I guess yo uwon’t be getting out any time soon, but rent it when it comes out! Cried in the first 10 minutes!!

Congratulaitons on having your beautiful babies home in your arms! Hope you are getting some sleep!

| January 4, 2008 @ 7:52 pm

59. Laural Dawn said,

You’re right about the medication.
    I didn’t catch PPD with my son early enough. I’m pregnant now (27 weeks) and this time around my OB got me into a program where they monitor my moods, and will support me from the moment the baby is born.
    We have already discussed going on meds right away and recognizing the signs from the beginning.
    I was so worried about going through the depression stuff again and I feel so reassured.
    Obviously I’m goign to wait to see if I need anything, but it’s amazing to have support.
    Most of those movies I haven’t seen.

| January 5, 2008 @ 1:42 pm

60. BrookieCookie said,

Such great movies!

The movie that makes me cry (and makes me laugh out loud) is Stateside. It is not something that you can watch with children in the room, at least not ones that understand english. I highly reccommend renting it if you can find it.

| January 5, 2008 @ 7:34 pm

61. whatthef*ck said,

“In America” holy mother of god what a tearjerker.

zoloft huh? i am thinking of gong on something but i am breastfeeding. tried effexor years ago but went off to get pregnant.

| January 6, 2008 @ 5:02 pm

62. emily said,

I was just gonna say “In America”.
    I LOVE cryin’ movies. I YEARN for cryin’ movies. I seek them out. That said, here are my consistent winners:
    1. Field of Dreams (EVERY time. ‘Cause his simple little life IS heaven, ya know? And he gets to see his dad again?? C’mon!!)
    2. Rudy (Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!)
    3. Finding Neverland
    4. Braveheart
    5. Dead Poets Society–yep, that desk part.
    6. LOTR 3– “I can’t carry it for you but I can carry YOU!” and much of the rest of it…

| January 7, 2008 @ 2:35 pm

Cry??!?!? You want to cry?!?!

“Nobody Knows” (foreign, Japanese I think, I hate to say it was based on true events)

You will cry for weeks. I was heaving sobs (and yes I was post-partum). That movie changes you.

| January 9, 2008 @ 11:40 pm

64. Maureen said,

I always cry at movies. Since I had kids it’s gotten a bit out of hand — I’ll cry at a Thomas video if I remember the first time I watched it with my son.

I’m about to cry reading about Dead Poet’s Society. I haven’t seen it in years, but that scene when the kids get on their desks, come on, who wouldn’t be reaching for a box of tissues.

| January 13, 2008 @ 4:10 am

Armegeddon. You said movies that unexpectedly made you cry, right? You know the part where Liv Tyler is telling Bruce Willis (yummY!) good-bye with the hand to the screen thing?

| November 10, 2008 @ 10:39 pm

regarding henry – when he is learning to walk again

| November 22, 2008 @ 7:38 pm