Fatty Mattie’s Coming Home

I would post up an update like about how Fatty Mattie is going to be released from the NICU anyday now. They don’t tell you anything exact. One minute the twins are bunking together the next day they want you to bring in a car seat to do a car seat test where they test their stamina on sitting upright for an hour. Of course the way I drive the test should be a lot more rigorous. I’ll have to remember to pop that in the suggestion box. Anyway, I would post an update very much like this except that some horrible movie that will give me nightmares called Hostel is on cable while I wait for pumping time to creep up on me again.

I’m supposed to wake up in the middle of the night to pump. Well, if I really loved my daughters and wanted to keep the meager milk train flowing as much as possible I’d never let more than five hours pass by even at night. As it is I pump every 2 to 2.5 hours during daylight but the nighttime is just too much to bear. I only do it if I can’t sleep for some reason.

So just to let you know, full disclosure, I got into it with a nurse at the NICU. All of them except this one is the nicest person on the planet. But seriously, I have to take an extra clonnie to deal with her “expertise” and forty or fifty years of experience which gives her a condescending attitude. I asked her if I could pick up my baby (this was 15 minutes before their feeding) and she said “No.” So I said why and she said “We talked about this mommy” in a tone usually directed at first graders who maybe should’ve repeated kindergarten. Anyway, she went on to tell me that if I didn’t care about my babies getting their rest so they can grow I could take them for a walk around the hospital grounds for all she cares. It’s up to me their my babies.

I told her I didn’t like her tone. And we had a talk during which I cried. But I’m no wuss and I didn’t put up with her jaded shit.

Time to pump.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on December 14, 2007 6:05 amUncategorized24 comments

1. Shannon said,

The nerve. I would have probably popped her one. Postpartum mama+ babies in NICU + pumping very 2-2 1/2 hours= enough stress already biotch. Sorry you had to deal with high and mighty nurse lady. Hope Mattie gets to come home soon.

| December 14, 2007 @ 6:48 am

2. jeanie said,

Oh you Mum!!! – I think they roster on one b* – ahem, nasty nurse to every maternity and NICU ward to make the others look better. I wonder if they get above award?

Good luck on having Mattie home soon.

| December 14, 2007 @ 7:56 am

3. Lil Mouse said,

dont you hate it when people use that tone with you. jeez.

| December 14, 2007 @ 1:23 pm

4. Jen said,

Heh, a friend of mine was almost arrested after she got into it with a nurse in the NICU where her son was. You would think that given the emotional state that parents visiting the NICU are often in the hospitals would try to make sure that the nurses working in them are, you know, not total assholes.

| December 14, 2007 @ 2:26 pm

5. Trenches of Mommyhood said,

Good for you Momma Bear! Some people are just plain be-yotches, yaknow?

| December 14, 2007 @ 3:34 pm

6. laura jean said,

How can holding your baby stunt growth? Wasn’t this the baby that was held by your womb for the past number of months? All your baby knows is being held, rigth? Geesh! There’s alwasy one bad, bossy apple isn’t there?

| December 14, 2007 @ 3:52 pm

7. My name is Lynsey and this is me unscripted. said,

Who peed in her cornflakes?

How exciting to bring the baby home–enjoy!

Lyns

| December 14, 2007 @ 4:42 pm

8. heidi said,

with all her years of experience, she should know better than to stand between a mama & her baby.
    Next time ask her if her gyno pulled the wrong tooth. 😉

| December 14, 2007 @ 5:24 pm

9. amanda said,

What is it with some nurses? Permanently disgruntled and out to make you cry. I hate that. Experienced one for myself after having my son. Really, what I took away from the situation was that she was a pathetic person.

Yeah for Mattie! Hope she’s home with you soon!

| December 14, 2007 @ 6:47 pm

10. Becky said,

What a nasty woman. I’ll totally punch her in the face for you.

| December 14, 2007 @ 8:25 pm

11. Laural Dawn said,

I hate hate HATE it when someone calls me “Mom” or “Mommy”, especially in a condescending term.
    Use my name, or call me ma’am or something, but don’t talk down to me using the term “mommy”. Grrrr.
    I’m so glad Mattie is coming home! Yay! Congrats.

| December 14, 2007 @ 11:24 pm

12. wutsua said,

Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog about Wickes Furniture

| December 14, 2007 @ 11:47 pm

I think that NICU nurse must have come from Dallas. Our NICU nurse had the nerve to tell us that taking pictures “disturbs” their sleep/rest pattern. I bought a new camera for my twins and I am going to use it as much as I want!!!
    BTW the picture of the babies spooning each other is the sweetest moment. It was one of my best memories of twins and NICU, too.
    Congratulations.

| December 15, 2007 @ 12:12 am

14. gmcountrymama said,

I am so glad that Mattie will be coming home soon where you can hold her whenever you want! You shouldn’t have to deal with rude nurses, there is no excuse. I hope she apologized to you.
    I love the movie Hostel.

| December 15, 2007 @ 12:17 am

15. Catwoman said,

You want to call the mommy mafia on her? They’ll look her up and down and snicker at her scrubs and then talk behind her back about how her two-year old couldn’t even pass 10th grade geometry.

| December 15, 2007 @ 2:15 am

16. sarah said,

I had one evilbitch NICU nurse, too, who, when I said I wanted to nurse my child informed me that, while that was a lovely plan, I’d given birth to a preemie, so I’d have to adjust my plans accordingly.

There were many tears and thankfully my angry husband found the words I needed b/c I couldn’t at the time.

| December 15, 2007 @ 2:35 am

17. Antique Mommy said,

I really try to not use 4 letter words on the internet, but I woulda had to slap the shit right out of her. There is just no excuse for that. I had one of those nurses once too. Blog about it and then write a letter to the hospital president mentioning said blog. Trust me, that will get her attention.

| December 15, 2007 @ 11:38 am

18. SUEB0B said,

Wow. How do people get away with being that crappy? I’m glad you have got the fight in you.

| December 15, 2007 @ 4:14 pm

19. b*babbler said,

Good for you, saying something. Sometimes the occasional nurse seems to forget that at the end of the day, these are your babies, and you need to bond with them. It is as important, in some respects, as the rest and the food and all of the other stuff. They can use the reminder once in a while.

(Oh, and I didn’t pump in the middle of the night either. Sleep is too important when you have to also deal with the NICU.)

Good luck!!

| December 15, 2007 @ 9:10 pm

20. carrie said,

Oh, that would be so hard . . . and good for you for keeping up with all that pumping, I know what a pain it can be.

| December 15, 2007 @ 9:23 pm

21. Candace said,

I hate that b.t

| December 17, 2007 @ 3:20 am

22. Kristen said,

I had my second son via emergency c-section. All my day nurses (there were either 2 or 3 of them) were wonderful. My night nurse yelled at me because my baby was only nursing for 5 minutes per side. It didn’t matter that he drained each side in only 5 minutes. It didn’t matter that he was sleeping peacefully in his bassinet next to the bed. I was a bad mother because he needed to feed for at least 20 minutes each side. I didn’t say anything to her at the time, but I told my day nurse when she came on shift. Wouldn’t you know, the shift supervisor came in later and told me that she had assigned me a new night nurse for that night. My son never nursed for longer than 5 minutes per side, and once he had sippy cups he could drain a 9 ounce cup in a couple of minutes. She just didn’t know what she was talking about.

| December 17, 2007 @ 4:58 pm

23. Christine said,

I’m so glad you stood up to her!!! I can’t fathom why some of those NICU nurses are so mean and bitter…it seems like there is always one.

Welcome home (soon, hopefully) Mattie!

| December 18, 2007 @ 5:09 pm

24. WillThink4Wine said,

Most nurses, especially in NICU, are wonderful to the babies AND the parents. Occassionaly, you get one that is just great with babies. WTG Mattie! Graduating to going home is awesome! My sister has twin boys, one spent a good deal of time in NICU.

| December 19, 2007 @ 11:42 am