So Will the Hospital Food Make These Babies Grow?

So, in case you were looking for an update on my situation which everyone said would be FINE, it’s not so fine. I’m in the hospital and it’s looking like I’m going to be having babies much sooner than expected. Like maybe in 48 hours.

I went to see the perinatalogist today 3 1/2 weeks after that last visit where he said the baby was too small. Well, baby B only gained 8 oz in all that time. It appears that my placenta is too small and not allowing blood to flow adequately to the baby. I was sent straight to the hospital DO NOT PASS GO. My littlest girl is only 2 pounds 4 oz and the bigger baby is 3 pounds and a couple of oz. I’m getting a steroid shot tonight and another one in 24 hours and I will remain in the hospital until the babies are delivered. It could be 48 hours or 12 days depending on how they do. I’m pretty scared to be honest. Really fucking scared. But I’m in good hands. I have an amazing OB, a rock of a husband and my gorgeous little Elby waiting for me at home.

I have been reassured by my doctor that babies are born at 32 weeks all the time and still do well although they will both be spending a long time in the NICU. I’d be crying even more if I weren’t so damn tired and if Grey’s Anatomy weren’t on. Although, if you ask me, Grey’s Anatomy has jumped the shark big time. First of all, how in the world is George getting so much pussy? And Alex – not so much in the pussy department. I’m so sick of Meredith and her family problems I could puke. I just wish that Patrick Dempsey would break up with her already.

Hey, my Ambien is here. Things are looking up.

I’ll update everyone tomorrow. I’ll give you more of the ugly details and the super pretty ones.

Luckily the hospital has wireless Internet. So there’s that.

4 a.m. update: Ambien is not a wonder drug and I’m awake and obsessing and that is so not fun while you’re in a hospital room alone with only a tv tuned to an infomercial that I can’t turn off to keep me company. (Engineering will be on it tomorrow but for now I must watch a show abut The Hydrosurge – a dog grooming tool – in silence)

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on November 16, 2007 5:23 amUncategorized29 comments

1. Felicia said,

Hey Stephanie,

My thoughts are with you. Keep thinking good thoughts your girls can feel them. Just keep talking to them and you guys will be fine. Good Luck!!! And lots of Hugs.

Felicia

| November 16, 2007 @ 6:03 am

I know other twins born at 32 weeks, and now you’d never known they were premies. That’s probably no comfort to you now, though, but I will be thinking of you and the twins, and hoping their lungs develop quickly. I wish I knew what to say, but know that we’re all pulling for you! Please keep us updated.

| November 16, 2007 @ 6:08 am

3. Rattling The Kettle said,

Good luck, Stephanie!

| November 16, 2007 @ 6:36 am

4. Katrina said,

Sounds like you are in great hands. Try to stay nice and calm, know that the folks in the computer are sending positive vibes, and take it all one day at a time. I know its easier said than done, but its all you can do. Hang in there!

| November 16, 2007 @ 6:42 am

5. Meg said,

Good luck!! I’ll be sending healthy baby and mommy vibes to you!

| November 16, 2007 @ 12:30 pm

6. Lil Mouse (Jill) said,

well i’m thinking about you. that can’t be easy, but try and relax. i imagine even laying there with closed eyes will be better than staring at a dog grooming video. focus on something simple like what to take the girls home in, or if you’re really going nuts, make a honey do list for your hubby at home. knowing that things are being taken care of should help your state of mind.

| November 16, 2007 @ 1:33 pm

My daughter decided to come at 33 weeks. I was “leaking” and thought it was nothing. But they admitted me. The shock of it all did not sink in until a few months after we got home. I was on autopilot. BUT-they gave me the steriod shots, and we were able to buy 3 more days before she made her entrance. She did not require any breathing assistance, and took to feeding right away. Everyone is right, there is nothing we can say to reassure you…but one day you will be able to look back on this. God Bless your two miracles.

| November 16, 2007 @ 3:29 pm

8. sparklykatt said,

Oh sweetie, you must be terrified. I know I would be.

I wish there was something I could say or do to make it better or easier, but I don’t imagine there is anything.

Just know you are in many peoples thoughts and prayers and we will anxiously await more news from you.

| November 16, 2007 @ 5:33 pm

9. Dawn said,

Good luck!! I’m also sending you good vibes. You must be nervous. I would be too. Your twins will be fine, though. So many twins are born at 32 weeks. I hope your stay in the hospital will be OK. Hopefully people will bring you good food daily, so you and your twins won’t have to subsist on the nasty stuff that they serve.

| November 16, 2007 @ 6:36 pm

10. Katie said,

It’s got to be so scary but by getting them to 32 weeks, you’ve given your babies an excellent advantage. You’ll be able to visit them in the NICU and they’ll know you’re there. You’ll most like by allowed to touch or even hold them, and it will aid their growth. Ed Humes, whose gorgeous 14-year-old daughter was a preemie herself, wrote a marvelous book about preemies which could be helpful. I am praying for you.

About “Gray’s Anatomy” yes, much sharkage. Is there anyone on earth with believes the George and Izzy love story? Puhleeze – the lack of chemistry tanks the whole show!

| November 16, 2007 @ 6:54 pm

11. Catwoman said,

The great news? That when you get to 30 weeks, the babies have a 90 percent survival rate.

You’re past that. You’re great. And I know it’s scary and if you’re really bored in the hospital and looking for something else to do than dog grooming informercial watching, go to my blog and look for a link on the right hand side to “My Minivan is Faster Than Yours”. Her first baby was extremely premature, and she started (has yet to finish though) a whole series about the experience of being a NICU mom. It’s absolutely wonderful and funny too.

Look at it this way. When you’re past all of the scary times, this could be a really, really great topic for a future book. Because if anyone can make premature babies sound great, it’s you.

I bought Sippy Cups are not for Chardonnay after seeing an ad for it on dooce.com not long after having Little Man. The part about the baby music class made me laugh so hard, I peed myself (damn kegels). If anyone can get through this looking fabulous and glamorous and then turn the whole thing into a great read, it’s you.

We’re all cheering for you and the babies.

And if no one’s going to bang Karev, I think I might have to fly up to Seattle and do it myself. Because it just ain’t right.

| November 16, 2007 @ 7:35 pm

12. dana said,

I’m keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Be well, sista!

| November 16, 2007 @ 8:28 pm

Your blog entry made me think of a great article that Wendy Wasserstein wrote for the New Yorker about having her baby girl at 25 weeks. It’s long but excellent. The title is “Complications.” Here’s the link if you’re interested in reading it.

I wish you best of luck with your twins. You’re such a great mom.

| November 16, 2007 @ 9:08 pm

14. Erica said,

Am thinking about you and yours. Take care.

| November 16, 2007 @ 10:29 pm

15. Neil said,

Thinking of you —

| November 16, 2007 @ 10:39 pm

16. heidi said,

here’s the thing… the twins will be ok. They will be in the NICU for alittle while, & there will be atleast one scary thing for each of them, but then they will really be ok. And they will send you home with them, and that’s when the REALLY scary stuff starts happening. Like trying to take one of them out of the tub first while the other one dials the neglected children’s hotline. And when you finally get over that, on some unsuspecting day, one of them will puke. All over the other one. And you will miss the peaceful hospital. :-)

| November 16, 2007 @ 11:24 pm

I came here from Y’s blog. I just wanted to leave you a note to let you know I’m praying for you and your babies. I was a preemie myself, born at 29 weeks @ 3 lbs 0 oz. I am now 26-years-old, and have never experienced any health problems due to my prematurity.

You really have done so well in getting your babies to the 32 week point. It will be difficult having them spend time in the NICU, but you can still give them lots of love and attention, especially if they let you do Kangaroo Care with them.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and let you know that although it is crazy scary right now, in 26 years your children could be leaving an anonymous comment on someone’s blog , telling them, “It will be okay, I’m living proof.”

Love and prayers to you.

| November 16, 2007 @ 11:43 pm

18. VDog said,

The first few days in the hospital are the worst — especially when the neo-natologist comes to talk to you and ends up just plain freaking you out.

My Little Man was a 32 weeker — my water broke and I was in the hospital starting at 30 weeks. We got the steroid shots, but still ended up getting the surfactant treatment (through a ventilator), and he had to be on CPAP for four days, I think? Then a nasal cannula for a few days.

Our NICU roommate was a 27 weeker, at 2lbs 4oz, and he is doing GREAT now at almost 1 yr. Yes, he is smaller than other 1 yo’s, but he is above corrected age expectations and size.

Your twins should do great. If you need something to divert you while you are stuck in the hospital, come check out my blog — lots of pictures of the two preemies and uplifting anecdotes about how well they are doing. Little Man’s roommate’s blog is at web.mac.com/babyaidan — you can read all about their NICU experience, which started Dec. 2, 2006. I don’t think your situation will be as extreme, since your babies are older, but since they are around the same weight, it will give you an idea of what they might look like.

Best wishes, and feel free to email for support of any questions.

| November 17, 2007 @ 12:33 am

19. Superfish said,

Good luck Stephanie! I’ll be praying for you and the babies!

Oh, and about GA: I cant wait for George and Izzy to split up – cuz it’s bound to happen. They just seem ridiculous together. And yeah, its about time Meredith grew up – the dark and twisty is getting really old.

| November 17, 2007 @ 12:51 am

20. surcie said,

I’m saying a prayer and eating a piece of fancy chocolate for you. (Okay, maybe the chocolate is for me.) I know they’re taking good care of you and your girls. Wishing you all the best!

| November 17, 2007 @ 1:53 am

21. Trenches of Mommyhood said,

Thinking of you as I sit here in Massachusetts and wishing you fierce strength as you go through this.

| November 17, 2007 @ 2:04 am

22. momomax said,

Hang in there. You’re going to do great. I am sending you good caloric thoughts and wishing you the best.

xoxo

| November 17, 2007 @ 2:10 am

23. Liz said,

Sending healthy birth and baby vibes your way.
    Grow big babies! Stay well and rested, Mom.

| November 17, 2007 @ 3:53 am

24. SUEB0B said,

I’m praying for all the best for your little family.

Hugs.

| November 17, 2007 @ 4:10 am

25. chanel said,

I’m here from Y’s blog. I just had twins born at 34 weeks. They were only in the NICU for 9 days. It wasn’t serious at all, nothing life threatening. So hang in there :) I’ll be praying for you.

| November 18, 2007 @ 2:33 am

26. Kimblahg said,

My triplets were born at 25 1/2 weeks and they are now 2 and doing very, very well. Hang in there, bed rest isn’t fun but at least you can blog! (Kim from kimblahg.com)

| November 18, 2007 @ 8:16 am

27. b*babbler said,

(Came here via joy unexpected). My daughter was born at 32 weeks, just last year. She was 3 lbs 12 oz when she was born and went down to 3 lbs 6 oz.

I know you’ll worry, I certainly did… But rest assured, it does get better. They may even be out of the hospital sooner than you think (Peanut stayed in for 3 weeks, just long enough to hit, exactly, the 4 lb mark). The steroids really do help.

Good luck! I’ll be thinking of you.

| November 19, 2007 @ 7:51 pm

28. Becky said,

Lots of love from Chicago. Keep on truckin’.

| November 19, 2007 @ 8:24 pm

29. Leanne said,

I wandered in from another blog too. But HUGS from another Mom and I’ll keep you and all your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Try and keep sane!